Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soaps.com talks with Sandra Robinson
Topic Started: Dec 15 2008, 12:02 PM (2,572 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soaps.com/daysofourlives/news/3097/Soapscom_Talks_With_Days_Of_Our_Lives_Sandra_Robin

Soaps.com was lucky enough to get an opportunity to talk to Sandra Robinson, who is playing John's very attractive new therapist, Dr. Taylor Hayes! Many Soaps.com readers will remember Sandra as Amanda Cory on Another World, as Jade on Sunset Beach, or even from her stints on The Bold and the Beautiful or General Hospital. Days of Our Lives landed a real pro when they enticed Sandra into returning to her Daytime roots! It was a real treat talking to her and getting her insight into this intriguing new character.

Soaps.com: So you've been on set about a month now at Days of Our Lives?

Sandra: About a month, yes.

Soaps.com: Is it a long-term role? Have you signed a contract?

Sandra: I can't tell you. [laughs] We don't know. You know, I jokingly say that the fans have a lot to do with storylines, and I don't think they realize that they do - but they do! I don't know what they really had in mind when they wrote this character [Dr. Charlotte Taylor] in, I think it was just going to be a couple of days, but now it's more than that for sure!

Soaps.com: That's great news! So, you're along for the ride, whatever happens?

Sandra: I'm along for the ride! Yes.

Soaps.com: So, was there any background given for this character, or her motivations?

Sandra: No, there was none. It's coming out as they're writing it, but as the person who's portraying it, you have something in your head from day one, and if it changes it changes. But that's the thing about soaps - things change all the time!

Soaps.com: What is your opinion on the current climate in Daytime? There are some big names being let go, not just from Days of Our Lives, but other shows as well. In your opinion, has Daytime always been like this, or is this a new trend?

Sandra: I'd say it's twice as active as far as the hirings and firings. There's always an influx of new talent and old favorites leaving - that's the way things are in this genre. But, right now, unfortunately, the networks and soaps aren't any different than any other companies out there - we're feeling it, and we're not any different, except that some of the people [being affected] happen to have their faces on TV. It's pretty typical of what's going on in a lot of other companies and corporations. It kind of reflects the economic times. When the companies that advertise can't afford to anymore, it has a domino effect. You never know when you're going to pick up a script and it's going to say that your character goes away!

Soaps.com: Your character, Dr. Charlotte Taylor, has been interacting with John and Marlena. Will something develop between her and John, or is there another love interest lined up for her?

Sandra: She and John become very close through the therapy. She's trying to get him to open up and reach those memories and emotions that he has repressed, so of course there's going to be a certain amount of bonding going on, but does it actually come to fruition, or anything romantic? Don't know! Even in real life in that situation there might be a certain attraction there, or bonding, so you never know.

Soaps.com: It seems like John is flirting with Charlotte, and that Marlena might become jealous.

Sandra: [laughs] That just might happen!

Soaps.com: With John and Marlena leaving the show in January, will Dr. Taylor be the resident therapist in town after Marlena is gone?

Sandra: Oh wow. I don't know if I lose my office or not! Those are the scripts that are coming out right now. What I do know is that we have a sort of a rough start to 2009.

Soaps.com: How familiar are you with other characters and storylines on the show? Are there any that have caught your interest that you might like to see your character interact with?

Sandra: There's a few, actually, that I think are kind of fun, but right now they're keeping me strictly with [John and Marlena]. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they're leaving. They're kind of using me to move things along - I fall into the category of 'catalyst'! I think there are a lot of cool storylines on the show, but it's hard for me because I'm still getting acquainted with [Days]. The storylines I think I pretty much understand, what I have a hard time with is getting everyone's real name right! [laughs] So that's my challenge!

Soaps.com: That Dr. Daniel Jonas is always around the hospital…

Sandra: [laughs] Yeah! He's pretty cute isn't he? He gets around though - I've heard he gets around. I do need a friend!

Soaps.com: Can you offer any other hints about what Charlotte will be getting up to in the future?

Sandra: I have been working pretty intensely with John, but there are scenes with Marlena too, maybe even more. So, it's not just John that I'm interested in.

Soaps.com: Does Charlotte's interest in Marlena have anything to do with her having known Charlotte's now-deceased father?

Sandra: It could! [laughs]

After this teaser, Soaps.com is certainly looking forward to seeing more of Dr. Charlotte Taylor (and Sandra)! In part two of this interview, Sandra dishes about Another World, and gives us a heads up on the other projects she has in the works! Read it at our sister site, Soap Opera Fan Blog! For more on Sandra, check out her all new website, and her MySpace page, where you can read her blog!

- Candace Young
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie ... I think of all people Daniel needs a therapist - he has some major sexual hang-ups perhaps Dr. Tayor can help there. Then there is Abe and Lexie who should have their therapist on speed dial. The DiMera's can all go in for Family therapy ... Sami could use an impartial viewpoint on why she manages to screw her life up time after time. Nicole should be in rehab not therapy ... Brady or EJ well perhaps they could see Dr. Taylor socially and professionally - I bet they could show her some therapy! Stefano well Dr. Taylor could be his Marlena substitute....

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Dec 15 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks Ellie ... I think of all people Daniel needs a therapist - he has some major sexual hang-ups perhaps Dr. Tayor can help there. Then there is Abe and Lexie who should have their therapist on speed dial. The DiMera's can all go in for Family therapy ... Sami could use an impartial viewpoint on why she manages to screw her life up time after time. Nicole should be in rehab not therapy ... Brady or EJ well perhaps they could see Dr. Taylor socially and professionally - I bet they could show her some therapy! Stefano well Dr. Taylor could be his Marlena substitute....
I agree. You have some good ideas. Which leads me to think that maybe they're trying new characters for other reasons other than financial.

Ellie

^^ I'd agree with that to the extent that Higley has never seemed to like writing for Marlena. Using the "Higley character replacement plan", this probably seemed like a good idea to her. Unfortunately it was at the expense of a thirty-year well-liked character. Of course I'm not suggesting that Deidre was fired because this woman was hired, but it is quite interesting that a similar character comes on the canvas just as Marlena is leaving. If Higley replaces the entire cast, do you think it will draw in new viewers and add interest? I don't. That's what some of us were trying to convey in the John Callahan thread. Let's say that next Higley hires a new young dark-haired male actor, and makes him another of Stefano's sons, and lets him get involved with Sami to create DiMera-Brady tension. Wouldn't that rub some viewers the wrong way?

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 12:37 PM
^^ I'd agree with that to the extent that Higley has never seemed to like writing for Marlena. Using the "Higley character replacement plan", this probably seemed like a good idea to her. Unfortunately it was at the expense of a thirty-year well-liked character. Of course I'm not suggesting that Deidre was fired because this woman was hired, but it is quite interesting that a similar character comes on the canvas just as Marlena is leaving. If Higley replaces the entire cast, do you think it will draw in new viewers and add interest? I don't. That's what some of us were trying to convey in the John Callahan thread. Let's say that next Higley hires a new young dark-haired male actor, and makes him another of Stefano's sons, and lets him get involved with Sami to create DiMera-Brady tension. Wouldn't that rub some viewers the wrong way?
Great post, Ellie. It's not that I have a problem with the concept of adding new characters; I don't. It just seems like the new characters this past year have served little purpose and have been gone soon, except for Melanie who will apparently never go away no matter how hard I keep wishing she will. I have nothing against Sandra Robinson the actress or Charlotte Taylor the character, except I just don't see the point.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Well, no matter who the writer, that's often how new characters start. After all, wasn't Marlena brought in for Mickey?

Ellie

Paxton
Dec 15 2008, 12:43 PM
Great post, Ellie. It's not that I have a problem with the concept of adding new characters; I don't. It just seems like the new characters this past year have served little purpose and have been gone soon, except for Melanie who will apparently never go away no matter how hard I keep wishing she will. I have nothing against Sandra Robinson the actress or Charlotte Taylor the character, except I just don't see the point.
Thanks - you put that very well. I completely agree.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2008, 12:46 PM
Well, no matter who the writer, that's often how new characters start. After all, wasn't Marlena brought in for Mickey?
Can't remember but you made a good point.

If fans acted like this, we wouldn't have Marlena. We wouldn't have Roman and, therefore, the Brady's. Marlena was a just a mere psychiatrist then. Roman was just a cop protecting Marlena (hmm...sound familiar...hello Rafe). Characters have to start somewhere and new blood is needed because some of the characters are beyond tired story-wise and that isn't just because of the writing either. New characters are needed to mix things up. Higley has actually brought in some good ones but they have left, some because of her and on their own volition or because of backstage BS. It's not like most of them are still left. We only have Daniel, Rafe, and Melanie left really. Brady is an established character. Any other new characters like Charlotte and Dr. Baker aren't really character that seem to have legs yet but they may at some point so I don't lump them in just yet.

Ellie

^ I am not disagreeing that new blood is needed, and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself correctly. What I'm saying is that Higley's approach seems to be to flood the canvas with new characters and ignore the current ones. New characters should be introduced slowly and only one or two at a time. If the characters catch on with viewers (as Marlena did right away!), then that's a plus for the show. Tim, I disagree that Higley's new characters have caught on. I understand you might like them, but it seems that most don't. The only new (returnee) character of Higleys who I feel has made a positive impact on the show is Nicole. Other than that, I think Higley's approach to new characters is part of what's killing the show. Sandra Robinson and John Callahan are symptoms of this problem, and that's what many of us are trying to explain in these threads.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I think that Dr. Taylor seems like a younger version of Marlena - I can see where they see her as a replacement character. It bugs me! What really would have bugged me more is if Deidre were fired and Sandra was paired with Drake. But now we have this new Dr. Taylor and if she stays I'm sure she'll be paired with someone .... hmmmm there are so many options .... Roman, Victor, Stefano older single guys ... Daniel, Rafe, Brady, Mayor's murderer guy somewhat younger single guys ... Phillip, Max, Nick almost jail bait younger single guys .... EJ, Lucas nearly taken but still younger single guys. Bo, Steve, Tony, Abe taken, but you can never count out, married guys.... and then there's John the sort of but not for sure taken but soon to be leaving anyway guy!

My guess - she's reaching her prime and wants a baby so she might as well hook up with high sperm count sure shot EJ!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 01:12 PM
^ I am not disagreeing that new blood is needed, and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself correctly. What I'm saying is that Higley's approach seems to be to flood the canvas with new characters and ignore the current ones. New characters should be introduced slowly and only one or two at a time. If the characters catch on with viewers (as Marlena did right away!), then that's a plus for the show. Tim, I disagree that Higley's new characters have caught on. I understand you might like them, but it seems that most don't. The only new (returnee) character of Higleys who I feel has made a positive impact on the show is Nicole. Other than that, I think Higley's approach to new characters is part of what's killing the show. Sandra Robinson and John Callahan are symptoms of this problem, and that's what many of us are trying to explain in these threads.
I disagree. Alot of people liked Ava. Alot of people like Melanie. As I said, Dr, Taylor is actually liked, maybe because of the actress. Daniel actually has his fans. Just look around on the net. Hell, I've even asked people in my life who I know watched the show. I think many are prohecting their anger about the cuts on to the new characters. This happened in 2007 too. Days was doing this same thing with characters like Duck and Gabby after cutting Lexie, Austin, Carrie, etc and people did the same thing. I feel bad for these actors because they have to put up with it and they probably won't even be sticking around so they are getting blasted for nothing.

It's just that I like them either. I don't like them all. Could care less about Daniel or Dr. Baker but, you know what, I also couldn't have cared less about Bo, Hope, etc when they first came on too. The show eventually made me care about them. Then again, that was in an era where people gave things a chance.

I also want to say, too, that it is not Dena's choice to focus away from the current characters. She's just as livid about J&M leaving as the fans. Hell, just look on the surface, when did we stop getting vets onscreen consistently? October. Whose work began around that time? Gary Tomlin.

Higley is not absolved but the shift in direction all came when he joined. I wish some would realize that. Even if you hate Higley, it can't be denied she used the vets in her first run and for most of this run, even through all the backstage shit, until Tomlin started.

Ellie

^ We're just going to have to agree to disagree about whether the new characters are liked. I have hardly seen any positive sentiment towards the characters you mention, but apparently you have, so we'll just have to leave it at that. I think some new characters do catch on right away (Nicole), and I think those can be compared to today's vets when they started. But I don't see the comparison at all with the other 'newbies'.

About Higley - I have no idea if she's upset J&M were fired, but she's currently head writer of the story that Sandra Robinson is talking about here, where Dr. Taylor "moves things along" for J&M. To me, that seems like a slap in the face to the characters (and the fans). Why not let J&M reunite without someone else in the middle? Why hire a new blond psychiatrist to move along the J&M story? I hold Higley responsible for the storylines, and right now, they're terrible.

jane1978

I like the character and I like her interactions with John so far, but I would be really really surprised if she stayed beyond the Jarlena story. The actress herself admits she knows nothing. They now tape early January stuff, next there will be 2 week christmas brake and I seriously doubt anyone has the scripts beyond that. Itīs probably not even written yet, atleast not the final versions.

Itīs not so long ago we had a similiar interview with the actor playing Trent and he is gone. And there was another fairly popular actor playing the mayor who was all hopefull and optimistic it could be a longterm part.

Dr. Taylor was created before Jarlena were let go and I have no doubt there were much bigger plans for her than we will see now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 01:35 PM
^ We're just going to have to agree to disagree about whether the new characters are liked. I have hardly seen any positive sentiment towards the characters you mention, but apparently you have, so we'll just have to leave it at that. I think some new characters do catch on right away (Nicole), and I think those can be compared to today's vets when they started. But I don't see the comparison at all with the other 'newbies'.

About Higley - I have no idea if she's upset J&M were fired, but she's currently head writer of the story that Sandra Robinson is talking about here, where Dr. Taylor "moves things along" for J&M. To me, that seems like a slap in the face to the characters (and the fans). Why not let J&M reunite without someone else in the middle? Why hire a new blond psychiatrist to move along the J&M story? I hold Higley responsible for the storylines, and right now, they're terrible.
She's not the only HW, Ellie. Whitesell is there too and Tomlin is very active in story. I keep seeing Higley being the only one targeted and that is unfair. Very little of what is going on right now is Higley and I will leave it at that.

And you keep citing Nicole as a new character? How? Yes, she just returned but she was on from 1998-2006 and wasn't even gone that long. She's hardly a new face.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Dec 15 2008, 01:45 PM
I like the character and I like her interactions with John so far, but I would be really really surprised if she stayed beyond the Jarlena story. The actress herself admits she knows nothing. They now tape early January stuff, next there will be 2 week christmas brake and I seriously doubt anyone has the scripts beyond that. Itīs probably not even written yet, atleast not the final versions.

Itīs not so long ago we had a similiar interview with the actor playing Trent and he is gone. And there was another fairly popular actor playing the mayor who was all hopefull and optimistic it could be a longterm part.

Dr. Taylor was created before Jarlena were let go and I have no doubt there were much bigger plans for her than we will see now.
I agree although I have seen more hints that COULD suggest she may stay, unlike Dr. Baker.

I just think none of this would be an issue of Drake and Dee has not been axed. This always happens when people are cut and stuff like that follows it up. It just makes me feel bad for the actors. I mean, is it even worth it? Dr. Baker and Dr. Taylor will be gone before you know it anyway LOL.

Ellie

^ Nicole was re-introduced under Higley. That's why I'm mentioning her; she's part of the Higley hires (and re-hires), yet I think unlike the others, she has caught on with the viewers.

Ponz
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 01:00 PM
ladyofthelake

If fans acted like this, we wouldn't have Marlena. We wouldn't have Roman and, therefore, the Brady's. Marlena was a just a mere psychiatrist then. Roman was just a cop protecting Marlena (hmm...sound familiar...hello Rafe). Characters have to start somewhere and new blood is needed because some of the characters are beyond tired story-wise and that isn't just because of the writing either. New characters are needed to mix things up. Higley has actually brought in some good ones but they have left, some because of her and on their own volition or because of backstage BS. It's not like most of them are still left. We only have Daniel, Rafe, and Melanie left really. Brady is an established character. Any other new characters like Charlotte and Dr. Baker aren't really character that seem to have legs yet but they may at some point so I don't lump them in just yet.
I wouldn't assume Higley wants these characters to catch on. Look at how she's screwed over/ignored the two pairings (Lumi/Kaman) she created in '03. The woman doesn't invest in any story, character or couple on a long-term basis. She's addicted to short-term gimmicks, "events" and general randomness.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 01:50 PM
^ Nicole was re-introduced under Higley. That's why I'm mentioning her; she's part of the Higley hires (and re-hires), yet I think unlike the others, she has caught on with the viewers.
That's because she was already popular. She was liked before she returned and many fans wanted her to return since she left.

It's a shame that Higley's plans got trashed because Ava and Martino could've been great. The show needed a new bad guy and Ava was such a great character. And, by the way, by trashed I mean her Kayla/Steve/Ava story because that story was clearly gutted.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Dec 15 2008, 01:58 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 01:00 PM
ladyofthelake

I wouldn't assume Higley wants these characters to catch on. Look at how she's screwed over/ignored the two pairings (Lumi/Kaman) she created in '03. The woman doesn't invest in any story, character or couple on a long-term basis. She's addicted to short-term gimmicks, "events" and general randomness.
That isn't her fault.

Alot of the randomness was because of the Ed Scott debacle. Look at the direction the show was going in around May. We had Sami caught between Lucas and EJ. Philip and Chloe were an item and perhaps there was going to be a triangle with Morgan. Ava was involved with Steve and Kayla and then BOOM! Ava gets lumped in with J&M. Lucas and Chloe come out of nowhere. Sami is all over the place. That was not Higley and, when Ed left, she had to go with new plans because her old ones were trashed. Those plans were not all put into play either because of Tomlin and Whitesell.

Not saying Higley is blameless in terms of the writing but the stories and direction have taken a hit because of all the other BS. As for Kaman. she actually showed signs of going there during the strike last winter but that got dropped too. Just think back to her first run. Maybe she brought in alot of new characters like Vin, Maya, etc but she never did random pairings like this and the show never lacked direction like this. Not at all.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I have always liked Sandra, and if she signs a contract, hopefully she will come cheap lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply