Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soaps.com talks with Sandra Robinson
Topic Started: Dec 15 2008, 12:02 PM (2,576 Views)
andromeda

ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2008, 06:44 PM
I fear, my dear, you misunderstand my statement and my intent,
Yes, of course I do, dear. Likewise.

Quote:

although it seems that it's apparently common knowledge that I might be "reveling" in the firings. Or, then again, maybe I hit a nerve?

Like it is common knowledge that many people, naturally, are upset by this period, without that necessarily meaning that they also harbor ill feeling towards others. Revel in it all you like, that’s your prerogative. What’s hitting a nerve apparently, is the attention all of this is getting. May I direct you to how “sick as hell of the subject” you are and how you seem to have “people” who are angry about this all figured out.

Quote:

I don't wish anyone out of a job. Nor do I expect people to necessarily be dancing in the streets that their favorites were fired. However, I do sense the possibilities that any "replacement" actors might be the target of resentment, through absolutely no fault of their own.

Yes, we know... and how “people” are just pissed that their favorites are being fired, which undoubtedly means they are pissed at other actors who dare take a job. Your intent was very clear, fear not.

And while we are at it, indeed, some actors “replacement” or otherwise are the target of resentment, again, through absolutely no fault of their own...

Case in point:

Quote:

THAT'S what I meant by my sarcastic remark about people having the audacity to take an acting job on Days after two highly worshipped people are fired. (let me qualify that.......two were fired...one exists on an altar, apparently).

Tsk, tsk. Such resentment ;)

Your sarcastic remark was duly noted and dare I say, understood from the get go.

Quote:

So, in your attempts to try to give me yet another black eye, well.......I fear they were miscontrued.

Is that what I was attempting to do? Didn’t realize my words carried such punch :>

Quote:

And even if I was revelling in Deidre being fired (which I'm not.....I'm just sick as hell of the subject, which I don't think warrants this much attention. No actor does),

And even if people are just upset or pissed that others are being hired in lieu of Deidre because they are just angry that Deidre has been fired...

Quote:

how would that be any different than folks possibly reveling in Dena Higley getting fired? Losing a job is losing a job, whether the person is beloved, liked by some, tolerated, or despised.

how is that any less admirable than folks possibly revelling in Deidre being fired just because? Do you get it?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jules

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 07:25 PM
jules
Dec 15 2008, 06:36 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 06:29 PM
Tammy
Dec 15 2008, 06:00 PM
I understand that new characters have to come on a show to make it interesting and to produce sl. All that bugs me, is, if they can't afford the actors that they ALREADY have, how can they afford to keep bringing NEW people on? Granted yes, newbies are cheaper. But why not just work with what you already HAVE???

When you have characters that people are already invested in... why not just work with that and develop that character. Instead of bringing on all the new people and trying to interest people.

As far as Sandra and her character, I have no problem with her. Salemites needs ALL the therapy they can get lmao ;)
Simple. It's cheaper to use a new character then a vet. Maybe that will change after they all take cuts but, as for right not, it's just cheaper.
Well if that's the case I guess we should get ready for the two new police cadets who will take over for Bope.
Nope because they took cuts. They are set.
Yes, I know they did. I wonder if Deidre and Drake were extended the same courtesy. With the lame story planned forn Bope, I wonder why they were re-signed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jules
Dec 15 2008, 09:01 PM
PhoenixRising05
jules
PhoenixRising05
Tammy
I understand that new characters have to come on a show to make it interesting and to produce sl. All that bugs me, is, if they can't afford the actors that they ALREADY have, how can they afford to keep bringing NEW people on? Granted yes, newbies are cheaper. But why not just work with what you already HAVE???

When you have characters that people are already invested in... why not just work with that and develop that character. Instead of bringing on all the new people and trying to interest people.

As far as Sandra and her character, I have no problem with her. Salemites needs ALL the therapy they can get lmao ;)
Simple. It's cheaper to use a new character then a vet. Maybe that will change after they all take cuts but, as for right not, it's just cheaper.
Well if that's the case I guess we should get ready for the two new police cadets who will take over for Bope.
Yes, I know they did. I wonder if Deidre and Drake were extended the same courtesy. With the lame story planned forn Bope, I wonder why they were re-signed.
Maybe they weren't because Corday was unable to give them that option. They probably make the most so he may have been unable to. Or maybe he did it as a mere scare tactic and means to bring them back.

I still think the silence on the part of Dee and Drake means something. I don't care what Drake's fan club president a a rep from Dee says. I want to hear their thoughts.

andromeda

jules
I know they did. I wonder if Deidre and Drake were extended the same courtesy. With the lame story planned forn Bope, I wonder why they were re-signed.
Hey Jules! :) I thought it was established (as much as it can be, I guess through set side sources) that Deidre and Drake were not given the option to take a pay cut.
Edited by andromeda, Dec 15 2008, 09:27 PM.

jules

andromeda
Dec 15 2008, 09:26 PM
jules
I know they did. I wonder if Deidre and Drake were extended the same courtesy. With the lame story planned forn Bope, I wonder why they were re-signed.
Hey Jules! :) I thought it was established (as much as it can be, I guess through set side sources) that Deidre and Drake were not given the option to take a pay cut.
I think it was reported in one of the magazines that they weren't, but they didn't state their source.

jules

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 09:10 PM
jules
PhoenixRising05
jules
PhoenixRising05
Tammy

Maybe they weren't because Corday was unable to give them that option. They probably make the most so he may have been unable to. Or maybe he did it as a mere scare tactic and means to bring them back.

I still think the silence on the part of Dee and Drake means something. I don't care what Drake's fan club president a a rep from Dee says. I want to hear their thoughts.
I can't wait to hear what they say either. My feeling is that they will say they were fired, but they will be gracious about it. I really wish they would just let loose thought lol!

andromeda

jules
Dec 15 2008, 09:29 PM
andromeda
jules
I think it was reported in one of the magazines that they weren't, but they didn't state their source.
Yes.

Tammy
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
jules
PhoenixRising05
Tammy

And THAT is what chaps my ass more then anything! They were given the option. If Deidre and Drake were given the option of a pay cut ... and refused, then fine I see the point of letting them go to save money. But the mere fact that they weren't given that opportunity, after all the years they have worked for this friggin show... yes THAT pisses me off.

IMO Deidre and Drake are no better or worse then anyone else on this show. But being that they have been on this show for 20+ years, one would think they would at least be extended the opportunity of a pay cut BEFORE automatically being fired.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

andromeda
Dec 15 2008, 08:40 PM
Jiggs
Dec 15 2008, 06:16 PM
I remember Robinson when she played Amanda on AW. I hated her with Sam - could not stand RKK. I find her rather boring. She doesn't have much charisma, and her looks have faded.
Come now, can you please revise your sentiments? Are you sure this is not coming from a deep, dark place where you are just so pissed that Deidre has been fired? I mean, surely, you really believe the opposite of what you are saying and you only feel the way you do because your favorite has been let go. And in light of that, your opinion doesn't count ok? ;)
You're right. I take it all back! The show is genius to hire her! Bravo DAYS! Live long and prosper! :flipoff:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Tammy
Dec 15 2008, 09:31 PM
PhoenixRising05
jules
PhoenixRising05
Tammy

And THAT is what chaps my ass more then anything! They were given the option. If Deidre and Drake were given the option of a pay cut ... and refused, then fine I see the point of letting them go to save money. But the mere fact that they weren't given that opportunity, after all the years they have worked for this friggin show... yes THAT pisses me off.

IMO Deidre and Drake are no better or worse then anyone else on this show. But being that they have been on this show for 20+ years, one would think they would at least be extended the opportunity of a pay cut BEFORE automatically being fired.
Don'tcha know, firing D&D will make the show better yet. KC said so. It must be true.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

andromeda
jules
Dec 15 2008, 09:29 PM
andromeda
jules
Yes.
Believe me, if they were offered the option to take a pay cut and refused it, Ken Corday would have announced that in SOD or SPW.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

if she does stay, i wonder who she will interact with when John and Marlena leave the show..

jane1978

Tammy
PhoenixRising05
jules
PhoenixRising05
Tammy

Maybe they simply weren´t needed? Like it or not Bope are more universal couple than Jarlena. Jarlena have their hardcore fans but also a lot of haters. Bope are universally liked by almost everyone and they work perfectly as the only happy, bantering, stable couple on the show. Friday, Monday being great example.

Their fans are also much less demanding.

There is really no story for Jarlena after John´s memory returns, everybody knows it. That´s why they tried build more and more obstacles in this Jawn story. Even Drake said again and again the last thing he wants is John to remember anytime soon or turn into the old John again because the boredoom of the old Jarlena was the exact reason why he was fired the first time.

As usual, fans sabotaged it, demanding the happy ending here and now. Even if Jarlena stayed, I already see fans would hate even this newest story with Dr. Taylor, so why even bother? I seriously doubt there even is a story Jarlena fans could be happy about.

Ellie

jane1978
Dec 16 2008, 02:14 AM
There is really no story for Jarlena after John´s memory returns, everybody knows it.
Not me.

I will never accept the argument that there is "no story" for any character, even the characters I dislike or find boring. I think a creative writer (which Dena Higley is not) is able to tell a story for anyone. There is no end to the creativity of the fanfic writers nor to the creativity expressed in some threads on message boards. Yet there is somehow a finite number of stories that can be told on the show? Should we then say that there is a finite number of novels that can be written? Soap writers are authors, and I think there will always be stories that can be told.

Quote:

As usual, fans sabotaged it, demanding the happy ending here and now.
lol what did we do?? (If you have tips on how to sabotage the current story, I'm all ears!)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 16 2008, 03:03 AM
jane1978
There is really no story for Jarlena after John´s memory returns, everybody knows it.
Not me.

I will never accept the argument that there is "no story" for any character, even the characters I dislike or find boring. I think a creative writer (which Dena Higley is not) is able to tell a story for anyone. There is no end to the creativity of the fanfic writers nor to the creativity expressed in some threads on message boards. Yet there is somehow a finite number of stories that can be told on the show? Should we then say that there is a finite number of novels that can be written? Soap writers are authors, and I think there will always be stories that can be told.

Quote:

lol what did we do?? (If you have tips on how to sabotage the current story, I'm all ears!)
Well, if you look at fan fictions, the ones that are written by die hard J&M fans focus on nothing but J&M and them being in love while fan fictions from others that focus on Days, in general, vastly differ, In fact, you will find that in many fan fictions J&M are either split up or off the canvas, unless it's a J&M fan fiction. Why? Because it does get tired after awhile. Until your a writer, you can't realize it and I know it's hard to imagine as fans of them. I never realized either until I began writing. Yes, there is more story to tell but in fan fictions you don't have limits. There is no budget or interference. You cut who you want and what what you want. Having said that, you still reach a point with some characters where you feel you have nothing left for them and have to write them out. It happens and Jane is right and not just about this J&M story. I won't go into the reasons because this debate has been had before.

e83talus
Member Avatar

I have seen some of you gripe about the negativity on the boards and how you all love Days and are so understanding of TPTB circumstance. My question is why are you all bending yourselves into pretzel-like figures trying to be sympathetic to the power structure at Days but seem so willing to through two actors, who no matter what your opinion of their characters have shown clear love for this showfor 20 and 30 years?

While J&M fans certainly have a bias and we love our fav's your seemingly objective opinions about how Ken and company had no choice and are in a precarious situation comes off as the polar opposite bias. And when these "understanding" opinions come from clear Dee and Drake or J&M haters, it just seems more obvious. But I guess you alll will really love this crapfest after January and I will be glad that Days will nt have my fav's to completely destroy anymore. We will leave you with the wonderful stories of Days like whiny Melanie, Sleazy Dr. Dan, and the Salem mattress that is Chloe because they are clearly going to save this show the way that the vets cannot.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2008, 03:10 AM
Well, if you look at fan fictions, the ones that are written by die hard J&M fans focus on nothing but J&M and them being in love while fan fictions from others that focus on Days, in general, vastly differ, In fact, you will find that in many fan fictions J&M are either split up or off the canvas, unless it's a J&M fan fiction. Why? Because it does get tired after awhile. Until your a writer, you can't realize it and I know it's hard to imagine as fans of them. I never realized either until I began writing. Yes, there is more story to tell but in fan fictions you don't have limits. There is no budget or interference. You cut who you want and what what you want. Having said that, you still reach a point with some characters where you feel you have nothing left for them and have to write them out. It happens and Jane is right and not just about this J&M story. I won't go into the reasons because this debate has been had before.
Even with budget or interference, at the heart of a story is the idea of the author. I still disagree with what you're saying; I think a talented soap writer can come up with new story ideas for any character. If a particular writer can't think of any more ideas, then I think it's time for the show to get a new writer.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Ellie
jane1978
Not me.

Quote:

I love these generalizations about all John and Marlena die-hard fans. I just read a fan fiction that was nicely balanced with all the Bradys and Stefano. John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, and Stefano were the core, but it had wonderful scenes for so many of the characters, not just John and Marlena. I truly loved it. I could easily see this written as a storyline in Days. I'd love for it to be.

I guess it's not only the Days writers who think good stories have to have a triangle. To me, it's sadder that creativity and good storytelling are becoming a lost art. I wasn't against Charlotte, but honestly triangles get old. And you're acting like this was all changed for J&M fans, when most of the J&M fans I know were very excited about Marlena and Kayla going up against Stefano and Rolf to get John's brain fixed before Stefano either turned John back into the pawn or he died. I see nothing but potential stories for J&M, furthermore, I see the potential in the context of family and friends, real stories. I prefer character/relationship development over these little cubbyholes of couples who just rotate partners.

If a couple is boring once they are together, are you saying they should either be the non-stop triangles we see now or that once a couple gets together, they should just exit them immediately because there are no stories for a happy couple?

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

jane1978
Maybe they simply weren´t needed? Like it or not Bope are more universal couple than Jarlena. Jarlena have their hardcore fans but also a lot of haters. Bope are universally liked by almost everyone and they work perfectly as the only happy, bantering, stable couple on the show. Friday, Monday being great example.

Their fans are also much less demanding.

There is really no story for Jarlena after John´s memory returns, everybody knows it. That´s why they tried build more and more obstacles in this Jawn story. Even Drake said again and again the last thing he wants is John to remember anytime soon or turn into the old John again because the boredoom of the old Jarlena was the exact reason why he was fired the first time.

As usual, fans sabotaged it, demanding the happy ending here and now. Even if Jarlena stayed, I already see fans would hate even this newest story with Dr. Taylor, so why even bother? I seriously doubt there even is a story Jarlena fans could be happy about.

Bope are a more universal couple? Bope are universally liked? Where did you come up with that one? I would strongly disagree with both of those statements. I find most fans are rather apathetic about Bope. They're simply fail to stir strong emotions either way.

There is really no story for J&M? Why, because you say so? Again, I would strongly disagree with that statement. What makes Bope so much more viable than J&M? What storyline could they possibly have? Pyschic Bo? Oh yeah, that's a winner.

What exactly did the fans sabotage? From where I sit there wasn't much there to begin with and the real saboteur is Higley and her inability to write. You would be seriously wrong in your assumptions.

hops
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 16 2008, 07:20 AM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
jane1978
Not me.

Quote:

I love these generalizations about all John and Marlena die-hard fans. I just read a fan fiction that was nicely balanced with all the Bradys and Stefano. John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, and Stefano were the core, but it had wonderful scenes for so many of the characters, not just John and Marlena. I truly loved it. I could easily see this written as a storyline in Days. I'd love for it to be.

I guess it's not only the Days writers who think good stories have to have a triangle. To me, it's sadder that creativity and good storytelling are becoming a lost art. I wasn't against Charlotte, but honestly triangles get old. And you're acting like this was all changed for J&M fans, when most of the J&M fans I know were very excited about Marlena and Kayla going up against Stefano and Rolf to get John's brain fixed before Stefano either turned John back into the pawn or he died. I see nothing but potential stories for J&M, furthermore, I see the potential in the context of family and friends, real stories. I prefer character/relationship development over these little cubbyholes of couples who just rotate partners.

If a couple is boring once they are together, are you saying they should either be the non-stop triangles we see now or that once a couple gets together, they should just exit them immediately because there are no stories for a happy couple?
Thank you for articulating this. As I've said recently, if Days were a book I was reading, I would have closed it long ago. It is not the fault of the fans Days is not written well, and as you pointed out, if we are talking specifically about J&M they had the most potential this year for something really interesting. But whoever was making the decisions at the time, took away the conflict. There was a set up for a Dimera showdown, once and for all, and yes, I was looking forward to it, but then my imagination is much more creative then anything that appears on screen. Instead the canvas is strewn with bed hopping, no commitment, and only characters that play childish games with each other get airtime.

As for J&M fanfiction, or Bope fanfiction, or even fanfiction about Meleanie (is there any?)...of course it is bias, it is supposed to be, lol. I never in my wildest dreams expect the show to play out some of these stories, but the writers of Days could take a lesson on the essence of the characters from fanfiction.

All the reasons I enjoyed watching Days are gone. I just don't 'like' most of the characters on the front burner. They are not likable people. And no, I didn't enjoy what Dena did to Days the last time she was writing. The show had an overall 'ick' factor. This time it's just plain boring, because she can't write fleshed out stories, so she writes 'events'. OLTL was lucky, too bad Days ran out of theirs.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply