Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Golden Girls!; "Thank you for being a friend..."
Topic Started: Dec 16 2008, 05:11 AM (11,077 Views)
Edge1978
Member Avatar

Here is one of my favorite lines from TGG

Dorothy: Rose, if you say 1 more of those stupid words, I'...
Rose: OH BLOW IT OUT YOUR TUBENBURBLES!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Diane
Member Avatar

I liked the Golden Girls but I really liked it later on when they owned that hotel. Cheech was funny in it.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Diane
May 23 2009, 07:54 PM
I liked the Golden Girls but I really liked it later on when they owned that hotel. Cheech was funny in it.
I don't know of many other people who liked Golden Palace... but I liked it to lol.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Honey...that wasn't love potion. That was Chanel No. 5!

Tammy
Member Avatar

Here is a good question lol. Was there an episode of Golden Girls that you DIDN'T like?

There were a few that I didn't care for.
~ I didn't like the very first episode.
~ I didn't care for the episode where Blanches daughter came on and she had gained a lot of weight.
~ And I didn't care for the episode where Rose's blind sister came for a visit.

When I watch my DVD's I always skip those lol.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar

I did not like the episode, "Mr. Terrific." Uggh!! I avoid that episode like the plague.

Keith
Member Avatar

I think there's at least one episode most seasons that wasn't really a favorite. Empty Nest's is definitely at the top. That mink raising thing, at least that plot of that episode, was lame, though the girls were still their very best. The Henny Penny episode was weird. It was interesting to see the girls in a totally different situation, but it wasn't really a favorite of mine. All in all, though, I just love those girls. Writing consistency be damned, LoL.

Now, what about top 5 favorites? Whole episodes, overall storylines (there were some), classic moments

This is hard for me, but here goes. No particular order.

1. The end of Ebbtide's Revenge, in which Phil Petrillo has passed away. Rose helps Sophia to realize why she feuded with his wife, Angela. This is one of the more poignant scenes in the entire series for me. I just loved when they mixed major drama with the always comic moments that the show never went without. This episode in particularly touched because of how Rose helped Sophia to realize that it was okay that she loved Phil, even though he was different. When Sophia admits that she did love him, I bawl everytime.

2. Clinton Avenue Memories. They go to Brooklyn! That alone was great. I loved Sophia's determination. The scene where she refuses to lose Sal all over again is just amazing for me.

3. Sick and Tired. I know, I'm cheating, it spans two episodes, but this was a great storyline for everyone save maybe Rose, who was more the supporting player. Dorothy has been sick for months and doctors keep turning her away. Sophia is always putting her down, but seeing the love and support she gives and the fear that Dorothy could be dying for all the know is great. Rue stole the show despite the heaviness. Her take as Blanche struggling as a writer is a classic comedic moment and arguably one of the best in the show's history.

4. I hate that I keep choosing the sad moments, but I think its because often the straight comedy played off the caricatures of the characters and these dramatic moments created a juxtaposition that showcased how real these characters could be. This one is Big Daddy's death. Blanche sees, at last, how all about herself she is. her monologue in the cemetary is beautiful.

5. The last episode. More the second part than the first. I know many didn't like how it ended, but I loved that Dorothy and Blanche and Sopbhia became family. I loved how Rose addressed that, too. It was really telling about the whole dynamic of the show. Dorothy and Blanche fought like sisters most of the time and Rose was often the mediator with Sophia being the motherly figure. All the more why I loved that Sophia stayed with the girls while Dorothy went off to Atlanta. Many have argued that it was out of character for Dorothy, using the fact that if Rose could choose the girls over a relationship, she could to. I think that's where Dorothy is different from the other three. Sophia, Rose, and Blanche all lost thier husbands; Stan left her. She didn't get the closure that she did, and I think finding love again made the Dorothy character complete. And I'm so happy she didn't wind up with Stan, lol.

I love many others, but those are the shows I look to when I really need "my girls". What about you?

Mason
Member Avatar

I've only seen a scattered bunch of random episodes, but of the ones that I have seen, these would probably be my top 5 (in chronological order):

Ladies of the Evening
Bedtime Story
A Piece of Cake
Grab That Dough
Sick and Tired

Tammy
Member Avatar

Ugh how can I pick ONLY 5? lol.

Lets see, okay no particular order here:

1. "The Flu"

2. "Blanche Delivers" - My favorite lines -
Sophia: "It took me three and a half days to have Dorthy... I finally coaxed her out with a pork chop!"
and
Dorthy: "Ma you know you're really making me feel bad. You keep telling me how hard it was and how long it took to have me."
Sophia: "Did I mention the colic?"
Dorthy: "Ma you're really hurting my feeling!"
Sophia: "Not as much as you hurt my oonie!"

3. " Sick and Tired"
- Blanche: "I see little balls of sunshine in a bag!"

4. "Foreign Exchange"

5. "Hey, Look Me Over" -

Rose: "If you didn't sleep with any of the men in these journals then how come is says BED on the cover?"
Blanche: "Oh ha ha... that doesn't say bed."
Rose: "It does, right there."
Blanche: "Oh silly those are my initials, Blanche Elizabeth Devereaux"
Dorthy: "Your initials spell BED?"

Edge1978
Member Avatar

Kenny
May 30 2009, 12:55 AM
The only episode I didn't like was "Empty Nest."
I didn't like that episode either :shame:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I hated this show. LOL. :peek:

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

ga68153
Feb 13 2010, 08:14 PM
That's SUCH a shame.... :shame:

Eric83
Member Avatar

It didn't suck, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Some episodes were good, but as a whole I did not like it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

ga68153
?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 13 2010, 10:12 PM
ga68153
?
LMAO! Well I have always been the odd one out most of my life. ;) :laugh:

Tammy
Member Avatar

ga68153
O.M.F.G... that should be like... A CRIME!!! LMFAO ;)

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar

Someone who hates GG....that is like saying you hate ice cream!

Mason
Member Avatar

Dorothy (to Rose): The way to relax when you have to speak in front of a group of people is to imagine what they all look like naked.

Rose: Really?

Dorothy: Yep. And if you do it right, you'll probably start to laugh.

*Blanche looks at Dorothy for a moment and bursts out laughing.*

*Dorothy gets up and Blanche and Rose both laugh hysterically as she walks away.*
Edited by Mason, May 8 2010, 06:45 PM.

Sweetbabygirl
Member Avatar
Meow This!

Eric....I think :iloveyou: ! God, I thought I was the only one that didn't like this show.
Edited by Sweetbabygirl, May 8 2010, 09:12 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply