Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Knots Landing
Topic Started: Dec 16 2008, 03:51 PM (11,908 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Does anyone else think that if the upcoming continuation of "Dallas" turns out to be successful that we might see a season three DVD release for "Knots"? Surely, the DVD sales of the older sets for "Dallas" will see a bump and maybe the WB will give Knots another chance. What do you guys think?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Feb 11 2012, 01:25 PM
Does anyone else think that if the upcoming continuation of "Dallas" turns out to be successful that we might see a season three DVD release for "Knots"? Surely, the DVD sales of the older sets for "Dallas" will see a bump and maybe the WB will give Knots another chance. What do you guys think?
Sadly, I think that's pretty much our last hope at seeing further DVD releases of KL -- at least by WB.

My dream scenario would be for Shout!, which has acquired the rights to numerous television shows that had either been discontinued -- or never released at all -- and given them proper DVD sets, to do the same for KL. The show would probably get better treatment (in terms of extras/special features) from them than it would through WB, anyway.

Clearly, I haven't thought about this much at all, LoL.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Feb 11 2012, 01:31 PM
Casey
Feb 11 2012, 01:25 PM
Sadly, I think that's pretty much our last hope at seeing further DVD releases of KL -- at least by WB.

My dream scenario would be for Shout!, which has acquired the rights to numerous television shows that had either been discontinued -- or never released at all -- and given them proper DVD sets, to do the same for KL. The show would probably get better treatment (in terms of extras/special features) from them than it would through WB, anyway.

Clearly, I haven't thought about this much at all, LoL.
I've heard rumors about Shout! acquiring the rights to them as well from one of the strictly Knots Landing boards. I picked up the first two seasons from Newbury Comics, but I'm hesitant about watching them because I don't want to get into the show/invested in the characters and then be cut off. Anyways, I do hope Shout Factory can obtain the rights to the show, as I'm anxious to see what happens with Gary/Val in California. Falcon Crest really should be given another chance too. I think they only released one season for that.

Mason
Member Avatar

You should definitely go ahead and watch the first two seasons, even if the rest of KL never sees the light of day on DVD. They're just great. (.....Although the end of Season 2 will definitely make you want to keep watching.)

As for Falcon Crest, its second season was released, but it's only available via manufacture-on-demand on the WB website, I believe.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Well, I'm officially in love with this show. I just finished the first season and can't wait to see Donna Mills/Abby come on as I start the second. Every character on the canvas I enjoy watching, except probably for Richard Avery. What an ASS!

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Feb 18 2012, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm officially in love with this show. I just finished the first season and can't wait to see Donna Mills/Abby come on as I start the second. Every character on the canvas I enjoy watching, except probably for Richard Avery. What an ASS!
Yes, I hated Richard the first time I watched Knots Landing, too. It wasn't until my second or third run-through of the series that I came to appreciate what a great, compelling character he actually is. He's such a Willy Loman-esque loser, but John Pleshette is so good that he makes you (or at least me) feel kind of sorry for him in spite of his behavior. Richard's now one of my favorite KL characters.

Kenny and Ginger, on the other hand, are a complete waste of time and space.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Feb 18 2012, 03:05 PM
Casey
Feb 18 2012, 02:57 PM
Yes, I hated Richard the first time I watched Knots Landing, too. It wasn't until my second or third run-through of the series that I came to appreciate what a great, compelling character he actually is. He's such a Willy Loman-esque loser, but John Pleshette is so good that he makes you (or at least me) feel kind of sorry for him in spite of his behavior. Richard's now one of my favorite KL characters.

Kenny and Ginger, on the other hand, are a complete waste of time and space.
Well, maybe I'll feel differently if I end up re-watching the series again down the line. Lol. I just feel like he's such an ass to Laura, who clearly doesn't deserve it, but still puts up with it. Laura's actually becoming one of my favorite characters. She's much more of a reserved person compared to both Karen and Val (both of whom I also love), and is probably the one that I find the most interesting so far.

As for Ginger and Kenny, yeah...they're just kind of there. I wish they would split them up and give Ginger something else to do. He just showed up at the Fairgate's during the premiere of season two.

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Feb 18 2012, 05:43 PM
Well, maybe I'll feel differently if I end up re-watching the series again down the line. Lol. I just feel like he's such an ass to Laura, who clearly doesn't deserve it, but still puts up with it. Laura's actually becoming one of my favorite characters. She's much more of a reserved person compared to both Karen and Val (both of whom I also love), and is probably the one that I find the most interesting so far.
Oh, Richard is definitely a pathetic ass, for sure. But he's also one of the most fascinating characters throughout all 14 seasons of the show, I think, and his friendship with Karen is one of the show's most interesting relationships.

Laura is actually my favorite character. Constance McCashin is just perfection. The best actress on the show (after Julie Harris, of course). And when you have one character driven by her self-loathing (Laura) and one characterized by self-destructiveness (Richard) together, it's just great TV.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I just finished the episode where the girls are all held hostage by gunmans at Ginger's baby shower. Donna Mills is perfection! I loved how Abby seduced one of them, blinded him with the fire extinguisher, and then stole his gun while he was looking out the window. Then she goes into the living room and the read headed woman goes, "You're too much of a lady to use that." Abby then replies, "Want a bet?" I also liked how Karen was willing to stand up to them and both her/Val took on the woman together in the end. Does Julie Harris come back on in this season or is it season three?

Mason
Member Avatar

The hostage episode in Season 2 isn't one of my favorites, but it does feature the great Laura/Abby "You are such a slut" scene in the kitchen.

Julie Harris returns in Season 3.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

That was a great scene! I almost completely forgot about it though as I watched the first part of that episode on Friday. You could totally feel Laura's anger as she stared them both down when they were both together near the window. I'm glad there was some sort of confrontation between the two. And yeah, for some reason I thought she came on at the end of season two and was made a regular in season three, but I guess not.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I just finished the episode where Karen and Mack get married. This show really just keeps getting better and better. For me, it's been top notch all season and has now fully evolved into a serial. The Val/Gary scenes were phenomenal and now we see Gary hitting the bottle again after Chip had the first two chapters of Val's new book published. What a bastard. I also really enjoyed Karen and Mack slipping away from all the ruckus of the wedding being planned at Daniel's and getting married at the chapel.

Mason
Member Avatar

Ohh, you're now in my favorite season! You seriously just reached (IMO) the best episodes of Knots Landing. The remaining episodes of Season 4 are just fantastic, and Season 5 rocks, as well.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I wholeheartedly agree! Everything has been phenomenal and I've been whipping through them like crazy. So many great things going on at once: the Val/Abby/Gary triangle, Richard and Laura's slowly crumbling marriage, Ciji's pregnancy, Chip/Ciji's relationship, Karen/Mack's marriage, etc. Can't wait to see what happens next...

Mason
Member Avatar

What I love about the Chip/Ciji storyline is how it ties the whole canvas together (it even makes useless Kenny/Ginger semi-relevant!) as well as how Ciji and Chip tap into all of the regular characters' insecurities. It's really my favorite KL storyline, and Peter Dunne (the producer responsible for the stories of Seasons 4-6) truly knew how to write an umbrella story. He does the same in Seasons 5 and 6. KL was never the same after he left IMO.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

Ah! That time is GREAT. I love Diana Fairgate. Her character had such a great, complete arc and I loved the evolution. Right now I'm watching season 9 which is hit or miss, but the stuff with Jill was so well developed. One thing I hate was Harold and Olivia. He was such a waste of space and her brought her down.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Where did you find all the episodes Casey?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Darrah, I sent you a message.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Val just found out she's pregnant...with Gary's babies. Poor Ben. Lilamae let it slip that she was pregnant and he had no idea. Meanwhile, Karen is seriously becoming addicted to her pills. Mack just found her passed out in the shower. Fantastic ending! This show is so damn good. I can't believe I just discovered it recently. Cathy Geary's relationship with Abby is also interesting. Wonder where that's going to go...

Mason
Member Avatar

Now that I think about it, Season 5 has quite a few OMG moments. And the last few episodes of the season will leave you BREATHLESS. I kid you not. And if you don't love Greg Sumner yet, you soon will. [At some point, I'm going to have to stop gushing about this show, but it's fun re-experiencing it for the first time vicariously through others!]

What did you think of the Ciji story, by the way?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply