Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Knots Landing
Topic Started: Dec 16 2008, 03:51 PM (11,787 Views)
KMan101
Member Avatar

I'm just WAITING for a Dynasty reboot. There are so many potential storylines right off the bat, especially, since, sadly, John Forsythe is gone, Blake would have to be killed off. God, imagine the fighting over his property and assets and company? Alexis and Krystal are there for given what could be seasons worth of storylines. However, would Linda Evans even return? She clearly gets along with the cast, since she did return for the reunion special a few years back. I think she might be talked into it, probably by Joan Collins.

I think Dynasty would be far easier to reboot, ala Dallas, moreso than Knots Landing, and Knots Landing has such a special place in my heart, different than Dallas and Dynasty to me.

I think KL makes sense because of Dallas and I think it could be pulled off, but it could end up like Melrose Place where it's just a hot mess of newbies and badly written older characters who don't seem to fit in anymore and fans would rather see them than the newbies. It's very risky to reboot an 'ensemble' drama than it is to reboot a family drama, IMO.

Anyway ... lol. I think about this stuff too much, too. Sigh. I really should be a damn writer in television.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Yeah, I definitely expect to see some sort of "Dynasty" reboot come up in the future. I think that pretty much is a done deal. We've already got mumblings from Collins and the Shapiro's about script ideas...haven't we? They definitely have a goldmine in playing up Krystle/Alexis feud with Blake's death. Could you imagine? Lol. I think both "Dallas" and "Dynasty" have a place in modern television. People are craving a good drama series that they can really sink their teeth into, or at least I know that I am. I'm craving something on primetime that is pure soap opera.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Did anyone else get really annoyed with Ben towards the end of season eight? I don't know if it's just me, but I can't wait for him to leave...he's been bugging me all season. I have a feeling that the ninth one is going to be hard to get through though...

Mason
Member Avatar

I was never a fan of Ben at any point, but I actually thought he was most annoying in Season 7. The Jean Hackney storyline in Season 8 is atrocious, though. That being said, the scene in which Ben nearly strangles Lilimae is full-on hilarity.

Season 9 is a dry season, at least to me. Jill coming unhinged is that season's saving grace.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Jun 5 2012, 06:40 PM
I was never a fan of Ben at any point, but I actually thought he was most annoying in Season 7. The Jean Hackney storyline in Season 8 is atrocious, though. That being said, the scene in which Ben nearly strangles Lilimae is full-on hilarity.

Season 9 is a dry season, at least to me. Jill coming unhinged is that season's saving grace.
Yeah. He got on my nerves last season too. I mean, I've never been a big Ben fan, but I can usually tolerate the character with Val (because we're supposed to root for them together right now). There's just something about him this season that makes me want to punch him. And, oh god. Lmao. That damn security system. I actually just watched that episode today. This whole season has felt different from the rest, actually. Less about the characters, more about the plot. That's definitely noticeable. It's still good...just different.

Abby's conversation with Jill was also pretty enjoyable when referencing their engagement and they're clearly setting up some sort of Jill/Val rivalry for the next season. "Jill, let the second Mrs. Ewing give a friendly warning to the soon-to-be third Mrs. Ewing...the first Mrs. Ewing doesn't go away. Ever."

Edited by Casey, Jun 5 2012, 09:54 PM.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Did Greg actually just use Peter's urn as a coaster and then make use of his ashes as plant fertilizer? LMAO!

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Okay, I just finished watching both parts of "Noises Everywhere" and that episode was probably the most emotional and heart-tugging of the entire series thus far. From Val breaking down on Karen to Richard having a heart-to-heart with Karen about Laura dying alone. Seriously brilliant television.

I have to say though that last part with Laura reading "Good Night, Moon" to Meg literally ripped me apart. It was bad enough seeing stoic Greg breaking down at her videotape behind closed doors, but saying goodbye to her daughter like that? I hate that Laura's gone, I really do, but at least they gave her a proper sendoff. It wasn't some half-assed funeral type thing...they actually showed all the characters struggling to accept it and dealing with the loss of their friend in the most humanely way possible.

Oh, and LMAO at Jill stealing Peter's ashes and hiding them in her purse. I thought it was hilarious how they were all looking for the ashes but never though to check the woman who was holding a bag that looked to weigh about a hundred pounds. Hello?!

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Aug 9 2012, 09:22 PM
Okay, I just finished watching both parts of "Noises Everywhere" and that episode was probably the most emotional and heart-tugging of the entire series thus far. From Val breaking down on Karen to Richard having a heart-to-heart with Karen about Laura dying alone. Seriously brilliant television.

I have to say though that last part with Laura reading "Good Night, Moon" to Meg literally ripped me apart. It was bad enough seeing stoic Greg breaking down at her videotape behind closed doors, but saying goodbye to her daughter like that? I hate that Laura's gone, I really do, but at least they gave her a proper sendoff. It wasn't some half-assed funeral type thing...they actually showed all the characters struggling to accept it and dealing with the loss of their friend in the most humanely way possible.
They really didn't though, IMO. We learned Laura's terminally ill and then by the end of the episode, bam, she's gone. A few episodes later, she dies off-screen. And then her memorial just consisted of everyone behaving like loathsome assholes, and it was all about each other, not Laura. I think Sid's death was handled much better.

It was nice seeing Richard again, and Greg privately breaking down while watching Laura's video was a wonderful moment, though. Bill Devane destroys me every time I watch that scene.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Aug 9 2012, 09:40 PM
Casey
Aug 9 2012, 09:22 PM

They really didn't though, IMO. We learned Laura's terminally ill and then by the end of the episode, bam, she's gone. A few episodes later, she dies off-screen. And then her memorial just consisted of everyone behaving like loathsome assholes, and it was all about each other, not Laura. I think Sid's death was handled much better.

It was nice seeing Richard again, and Greg privately breaking down while watching Laura's video was a wonderful moment, though. Bill Devane destroys me every time I watch that scene.
I agree to a certain extent. While I enjoyed the episode a lot, I think it had its strengths and weaknesses. There was no point in having Mack go off on some drinking spree, Val and Karen fighting over her not knowing Laura was ill, etc. It should have been more focused on Laura and their past history with her. However, in my opinion, I think the good outweighed the bad. The last scenes with Constance made the whole thing worth it for me. Watching Greg fall apart was really good television.

Now, this Charles Scott storyline with Abby is horrendously dull. I mean, what's the point?
Edited by Casey, Aug 15 2012, 05:37 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

The Charles Scott story is really dreadful and all the evidence you need that the Lechowicks had no clue how to write for Abby (at least until Season 10, but I'm inclined to say that was more of a fluke).

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Aug 15 2012, 09:34 PM
The Charles Scott story is really dreadful and all the evidence you need that the Lechowicks had no clue how to write for Abby (at least until Season 10, but I'm inclined to say that was more of a fluke).
Yeah, it's pretty bad. The only thing working for me right now is Paige and Greg's relationship and then Jill/Val/Gary. Everything else has been pretty dull, though I do like the idea of Karen/Mack deciding to raise Meg.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I just finished up season 11, which surprised me and is now one of my all-time favorites. There was stuff that didn't work, for example the casting of Amanda or that Val was dumbed down to be paired with Danny (who was *also* too black/white villain), but overall it was brilliant. I used to consider it so boring, but I don't know what I was thinking!

I LOVED Tom and Paige as a couple and how that Oakman story involved almost the entire cast, without it seeming contrived. You start with Jeri and Aunt Ginny, which get Mack involved, which gets Tom involved and then Mary Frances shows up and reveals Greg is involved. It just went on and on and was so much fun to watch! I also loved the triangle with Michael/Linda/Eric. I just hate Eric wasn't on more.

Karen's stalker story was a page turner and Robin Strasser stole every scene of every episode she appeared in. Why they didn't make her a regular is beyond me. I could've done with a lot less Anne and move Dianne into the cul-de-sac as a true successor to Abby. I thought Claudia was too dark, Linda was too young for that role and Anne under the Lechowick's was too much of a comedy character. Anne only got her luster back during the final season IMO.

Another disappointment I will say, is that they couldn't turn Olivia into a proper adult character. I think that goes in line with the Lechowick's not understanding Abby. Michael, Olivia and Linda all could've been better utilized as a next generation.

Mason
Member Avatar

I found a new appreciation for Season 11 the last time I re-watched it too. And Dianne Kirkwood is one of my favorite ancillary characters the show ever had.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Was it "You look like a polka dot hippo" ?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

POOR VAL!

While I found this season as a whole lackluster, I thought they made up for some of it in those last two episodes.
Edited by Casey, Aug 26 2012, 02:02 PM.

maverick
Member Avatar

You guys are able to see the later seasons of Knots Landing? I've been waiting eons for the entire series to come out on DVD. Along with Falcon Crest as well. :(

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I'm kind of annoyed they killed Jill off so soon. I feel like they could have easily stretched the plot out a little bit more. Aunt Ginny's kind of annoying me. They should have just brought Julie Harris back instead (budget issues being ignored, Lol!). They're making her into an almost complete clone of Lilamae.

Do Karen and Mack officially adopt Meg or are they going to leave as is? Michele Lee, in my opinion, looks the BEST she's ever looked in this season. She looks a million times better without that horrendously permed 1980's hair. It's sad that they aren't utilizing Steve Shaw as much...he hasn't made a single appearance this season (so far) and I know he died in 1990.

What did you guys think of season ten?

Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Oct 5 2012, 02:29 PM
I'm kind of annoyed they killed Jill off so soon. I feel like they could have easily stretched the plot out a little bit more.
Really? I thought they did a pretty good job with stretching it out. Most times, after what Jill did to Val at the end of Season 9, I feel like the impulse is to write the psycho off after the first few episodes of the following season. I thought the writers did a good job of slowly unraveling Jill's plot over the first half of the season. That being said, I think that first half of Season 10 (with Jill) is stronger than the second half without her.

Quote:

Aunt Ginny's kind of annoying me. They should have just brought Julie Harris back instead (budget issues being ignored, Lol!). They're making her into an almost complete clone of Lilamae.

Aunt Ginny is terrible.

Quote:

It's sad that they aren't utilizing Steve Shaw as much...he hasn't made a single appearance this season (so far) and I know he died in 1990.

He's the middle (Fairgate) child, and even the writers treat him as such.

Quote:

What did you guys think of season ten?

Overall, I think it's a very strong season. IMO, it's KL's last really great season.

Checkers
Member Avatar

I really wish they would re-air this show. It's one of my favorites.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Oct 5 2012, 05:39 PM
Really? I thought they did a pretty good job with stretching it out. Most times, after what Jill did to Val at the end of Season 9, I feel like the impulse is to write the psycho off after the first few episodes of the following season. I thought the writers did a good job of slowly unraveling Jill's plot over the first half of the season. That being said, I think that first half of Season 10 (with Jill) is stronger than the second half without her.
I was kind of hoping it would unravel throughout the entire season. I don't know. I loved seeing the story unfold, but now that she's gone, I'm missing her crazy ass.

Quote:

Aunt Ginny is terrible.
Agreed. They really only brought her on to replace Lilamae and give someone else room and board in Val's house. She serves no purpose other than being an annoyance at the moment. Do you know if they ever tried to get Julie Harris back to do guest stints and she said no? Obviously, at this point in the game...she's too expensive to be a regular, but they could have brought her on for a few episodes here or there to add fuel the pot.

Quote:

He's the middle (Fairgate) child, and even the writers treat him as such.

That's unfortunate because he's my favorite of Karen's children. They should have had him on more, especially with the way they filled the younger age group (Olivia, Paige, Harold, etc.) Eric seems more like he'd be in their age bracket, rather than Michael.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply