Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GoldDerby RUMOR: Joan Van Ark replacing Dee Hall?
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 12:08 AM (2,816 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Posted Image

LMAO! I find this very, very hard to believe... but I figured I would post it anyway, just for kicks. Does anyone know how often faux-rumors get posted at GoldDerby? I've always thought they had a rather reliable group of "in the know" posters.

Anyway, according to this post at GoldDerby, Joan Van Ark (ex-Gloria, Y&R) of Knots Landing fame was seen leaving the casting offices at Days and she has been hired to replace Deidre Hall as Marlena.

It was reported by a person with 500+ posts, so it's obviously not a board newbie, but still... take this with a huge grain of salt!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sometimes they post speculation and rumors so, yeah, take this with a grain of salt. They act in the know about the quality of things but not necessarily about what is going on news-wise, etc.

It is funny though and, given Corday's saying that anyone can be recasted, it would fit but I doubt it. I don;t think he would ever recast Deidre Hall. I like Joan and think she could actually play the role but I doubt it would ever happen.

Mason
Member Avatar

LOL! Not in a million years!

That said, I LOVE Joan Van Ark, and think she would be a great Laura recast.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 17 2008, 12:14 AM
LOL! Not in a million years!

That said, I LOVE Joan Van Ark, and think she would be a great Laura recast.
Ooh, I would love her as Laura!

Could you imagine her and Lauren Koslow going at it? Meeeow!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

She would be good as Laura. I can see her as Laura or Marlena. I think she has the right kind of style and look that would suit either role.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:33 AM
She would be good as Laura. I can see her as Laura or Marlena. I think she has the right kind of style and look that would suit either role.
Really? You could see her playing Marlena? I can't. Not at all.

daysfan
Member Avatar

She's beautiful but wouldn't be right as Marlena....NO ONE but Deidre Hall would be.

Mason
Member Avatar

daysfan
Dec 17 2008, 12:42 AM
She's beautiful but wouldn't be right as Marlena....NO ONE but Deidre Hall would be.
Agreed. I know some people disagree with this, but there are some roles you really can't just recast. Erica Kane on AMC. Reva Shayne or Roger Thorpe on GL. Marlena is definitely one of these characters, if you ask me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 12:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:33 AM
Really? You could see her playing Marlena? I can't. Not at all.
Well, for one, I think she is a better actress in that she is consistent. Dee phones it in at times. Not to mention I think she can bring some of the energy Dee used to bring to the role. Even when she got good material in recent years, Dee has not been the same in the role. She hasn't been the same since 1997 IMO. I think Joan could bring that spark back and she has that classy, sophisticated vibe from her.

I'm all for given anyone a chance. I do believe some roles are not recastable but I'm not convinced Marlena is one of them. If an actress like Joan fails at it, then I probably would be convinced but I'm not right now.

hops
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 17 2008, 12:44 AM
daysfan
Dec 17 2008, 12:42 AM
Agreed. I know some people disagree with this, but there are some roles you really can't just recast. Erica Kane on AMC. Reva Shayne or Roger Thorpe on GL. Marlena is definitely one of these characters, if you ask me.
I totally agree. Deidre Hall is Marlena. I see no one else in that role.

wkline
Member Avatar

:lol: ROTFLMAO at this one!! Joan van ark as Marlena,Never!!

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:48 AM
Well, for one, I think she is a better actress in that she is consistent. Dee phones it in at times.
I don't see how anyone can be considered a "better actress" when their face is so plastic that they can't even emote. Joan Van Ark's face is literally incapable of expressing emotion because it's virtually plastic.

Still though, it's not always about acting talent -- it's also about the energy of the role. Joan Van Ark as Marlena is like Elvira as Erica Kane or something, LoL. I just can't see it!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 01:05 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:48 AM
Well, for one, I think she is a better actress in that she is consistent. Dee phones it in at times.
I don't see how anyone can be considered a "better actress" when their face is so plastic that they can't even emote. Joan Van Ark's face is literally incapable of expressing emotion because it's virtually plastic.

Still though, it's not always about acting talent -- it's also about the energy of the role. Joan Van Ark as Marlena is like Elvira as Erica Kane or something, LoL. I just can't see it!
Eh...maybe so but I guess we will have to disagree (nothing new LOL).

Not that it matters. I know it isn't going to happen. Not to say she may not join the cast though.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

This is hilarious! The fact that anyone could imagine Van Ark as Marlena Evans is so freaking funny to me. And as Laura Horton? Are you kidding me?!

Maybe Fay Walker. But that's it. LOL!
Edited by DrewHamilton, Dec 17 2008, 01:13 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

They went from Susan Flannery to (eventually) Jamie Lynn Bauer. I don't think JVA is too much of a stretch, LoL. And she can do neurotic like no other!
Edited by Mason, Dec 17 2008, 01:15 AM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Poor Jennifer. If she ever came back and found her mother looking like this, she'd probably have her own breakdown and wind up in a catatonic state as a result.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm watching clips of her right now and I take back what I said LOL.

I'm not even sure about her Laura Horton now LOL. Maybe as a new character.

I wouldn't mind a Marlena recast. I'm open to it, depending on who it is.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Fay Walker is probably the only past character I can think of right now that Van Ark would work as. I could totally see her playing Arianne Zucker's mother, and James Reynolds potential love interest?! LOL!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Hmm...maybe Drew.

I could see her as someone from Kate's past. I think she has to play an authoritative figure. Her style suits that.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 01:18 AM
I'm watching clips of her right now and I take back what I said LOL.
LoL, thank God you came to your senses! Had you never actually seen Joan Van Ark act before?

I was thisclose to asking you exactly what you've been smoking tonight.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply