Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GoldDerby RUMOR: Joan Van Ark replacing Dee Hall?
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 12:08 AM (2,948 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

That would be one scary looking Marlena. No way!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I could see Jaclyn Smith as Marlena!

Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

Aw, Knots Landing JVA was amazing, at least when I saw her in clips.
Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 01:36 AM

Posted Image
Wow. I don't want to see anyone but Deidre Hall as Marlena, but Smith does resemble Hall a lot in that picture.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 01:29 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 01:18 AM
I'm watching clips of her right now and I take back what I said LOL.
LoL, thank God you came to your senses! Had you never actually seen Joan Van Ark act before?

I was thisclose to asking you exactly what you've been smoking tonight.
Of course I have seen her act before. Just had to be reminded.

Smith would work though on looks. There is probably an actress out there that could play the role. Victoria Wyndham was a recast for Rachel and look how that turned out on Another World.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 01:42 AM
Smith would work though on looks. There is probably an actress out there that could play the role. Victoria Wyndham was a recast for Rachel and look how that turned out on Another World.
I don't think you can compare AW's Rachel recast to this. The character was still fairly young at the time, and Robin Strasser (I believe was the actress before Wyndham), while popular, at the time was no Deidre Hall. And the character of Rachel, at the time, was no Marlena.

Not even comparable.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 17 2008, 01:51 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 01:42 AM
I don't think you can compare AW's Rachel recast to this. The character was still fairly young at the time, and Robin Strasser (I believe was the actress before Wyndham), while popular, at the time was no Deidre Hall. And the character of Rachel, at the time, was no Marlena.

Not even comparable.
I don't know. Rachel was HUGE at the time and I've talked to people on boards who said the move was met with alot of backlash so I think they are similar. No, Robin wasn't huge then but the character was.

I think your right if we are comparing the popularity of actresses but I was thinking more in terms of the character. However, you did hit on something. Marlena has been on alot longer with Dee in the role then Robin was with Rachel at the time so maybe it's not as easily comparable as I thought.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dying here!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

"I would say that there are a few that are beyond recasting. Obviously Mickey, Maggie, and god rest his soul, Tom -- the original Horton family -- were never going to be recast. I don't think I could say the same about anyone else, except for probably Marlena, because nobody has ever played that role but Deidre (Hall)... I don't think the fans want to see a different Marlena. I don't even know if they would want to see a different John." - Ken Corday, Executive Producer DAYS, May 2, 1995

cassie1013

HAHA this is LAUGH OUT LOUD funny. Can you imagine? This woman has HORRID plastic surgery.

And yes, as a Laura recast! Good choice.

Jason47
Member Avatar

On a side note: Joan Van Ark was with "Days" for a few months in 1970. She played Janene Whitney, a model who dated Bill Horton.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jason47
Dec 17 2008, 02:35 AM
On a side note: Joan Van Ark was with "Days" for a few months in 1970. She played Janene Whitney, a model who dated Bill Horton.
Hasn't Bill Hayes mentioned she was supposed to be an interloper to Doug and Julie?
Quote Post Goto Top

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 01:05 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:48 AM
Well, for one, I think she is a better actress in that she is consistent. Dee phones it in at times.
I don't see how anyone can be considered a "better actress" when their face is so plastic that they can't even emote. Joan Van Ark's face is literally incapable of expressing emotion because it's virtually plastic.

Still though, it's not always about acting talent -- it's also about the energy of the role. Joan Van Ark as Marlena is like Elvira as Erica Kane or something, LoL. I just can't see it!
:funny: Why bother recasting at all? Just let Marlena leave.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Dec 17 2008, 02:14 AM
"I would say that there are a few that are beyond recasting. Obviously Mickey, Maggie, and god rest his soul, Tom -- the original Horton family -- were never going to be recast. I don't think I could say the same about anyone else, except for probably Marlena, because nobody has ever played that role but Deidre (Hall)... I don't think the fans want to see a different Marlena. I don't even know if they would want to see a different John." - Ken Corday, Executive Producer DAYS, May 2, 1995
Hmm, he did change his mind about Mickey. He's been recast twice.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Joan Van Ark would be a bigger name, but this poor woman does NOT look good!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 12:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:33 AM
She would be good as Laura. I can see her as Laura or Marlena. I think she has the right kind of style and look that would suit either role.
Really? You could see her playing Marlena? I can't. Not at all.
Well, for one, I think she is a better actress in that she is consistent. Dee phones it in at times. Not to mention I think she can bring some of the energy Dee used to bring to the role. Even when she got good material in recent years, Dee has not been the same in the role. She hasn't been the same since 1997 IMO. I think Joan could bring that spark back and she has that classy, sophisticated vibe from her.

I'm all for given anyone a chance. I do believe some roles are not recastable but I'm not convinced Marlena is one of them. If an actress like Joan fails at it, then I probably would be convinced but I'm not right now.
I fear if they recast Marlena, it wouldn't be safe in the studios. Shoot, there are people who have a hard time not having John Clarke as Mickey. Can you imagine if they recast Marlena?
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 17 2008, 08:18 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 01:36 AM

Posted Image
There's an idea. An she can move her face!

Shylock

Getting rid of John and Marlena was a bad move that could have real negative effects on their ratings.

Recasting them will ensure it.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Shylock
Dec 17 2008, 08:26 AM
Getting rid of John and Marlena was a bad move that could have real negative effects on their ratings.

Recasting them will ensure it.
Well, at the risk of restarting the debate....J&M have been off canvas for a couple of months at a time in the past without any real problem in the ratings. Course, the writing was also better for the other characters at those times, too.
Based on boards I've read, a lot of avid J&M fans quit watching a long time ago. I'll wager general fans will quit watching because of the writing or boredom or real life. I don't attest to the theory that one couple or character makes or breaks ratings in a big way, except for maybe primetime shows BASED on one character or actor.
Anyway, this whole thing is probably a huge rumor and is probably a moot point.

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Dec 17 2008, 08:16 AM
PhoenixRising05
Kenny
Dec 17 2008, 12:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 17 2008, 12:33 AM
She would be good as Laura. I can see her as Laura or Marlena. I think she has the right kind of style and look that would suit either role.
Really? You could see her playing Marlena? I can't. Not at all.
Well, for one, I think she is a better actress in that she is consistent. Dee phones it in at times. Not to mention I think she can bring some of the energy Dee used to bring to the role. Even when she got good material in recent years, Dee has not been the same in the role. She hasn't been the same since 1997 IMO. I think Joan could bring that spark back and she has that classy, sophisticated vibe from her.

I'm all for given anyone a chance. I do believe some roles are not recastable but I'm not convinced Marlena is one of them. If an actress like Joan fails at it, then I probably would be convinced but I'm not right now.
I fear if they recast Marlena, it wouldn't be safe in the studios. Shoot, there are people who have a hard time not having John Clarke as Mickey. Can you imagine if they recast Marlena?
Much as it pains me to say, if John is not going to come out of retirement, I'd rather they have given him a nice sendoff. I have nothing against the actors who tried the recast. I want to like them, but I loved John Clarke with Suzanne. They just seemed to fit.

If they ever invested in the vet stories, I'd have liked to see her with a nice older love interest story, maybe as friends who miss their loved ones and miss having someone to be with who grow to love each other. There's no replacement for Mickey, but I think part of it, for me anyway, is seeing these replacements try to be Mickey vs a different person. I like Kevin Dobson. He's just not Mickey to me. As another guy falling for her, I think I'd go for it better.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply