Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GoldDerby RUMOR: Joan Van Ark replacing Dee Hall?
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 12:08 AM (2,940 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Dec 17 2008, 02:14 AM
"I would say that there are a few that are beyond recasting. Obviously Mickey, Maggie, and god rest his soul, Tom -- the original Horton family -- were never going to be recast. I don't think I could say the same about anyone else, except for probably Marlena, because nobody has ever played that role but Deidre (Hall)... I don't think the fans want to see a different Marlena. I don't even know if they would want to see a different John." - Ken Corday, Executive Producer DAYS, May 2, 1995
Well he recasted Mickey three times, and didn't he recently say something about Days beeing a wheel and everyone are recastable?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

^^^ Corday? Contradict himself?!

Bite your tongue!!

;-)

jules

I know some would never admit it, but Deidre Hall as Marlena is a pop culture icon IMHO. And from what I've heard NBC/Days has NO interest in writing for any character over 40, so I don't get why the character would be recast. I guess the only reason would to give Sami a mother figure, so maybe it will happen.

Jonatha

:omg: That is one hell of a shock! Deidre is irreplaceable.

BTW, there are lots of rumors about re-casts right now, including one that Erin Hershey Presley has 'been seen' on the Days lot, and she has posted that she is being considered for a role on Days. When asked if it's Belle, Presley reported said she couldn't rule that out.

Seems there are enough little grains of salt to scatter around lately. :biggrin:

brimike

I don't dislike the idea of Erin playing Belle -- but what this show needs right now is FAMILIARITY. And while I agree Erin could probably be very good, and I'd love to see her opposite Jay Johnson... this show needs to get people to tune back in, and re-hiring Martha would be a step in the right direction to smoothing the waters between the show and its frustrated fans.

I mean, every single fan base has pretty much been given the shaft this year. And while I agree you shouldn't always cater to fanbases, you also shouldn't piss every single one of them off. I really think Days would benefit from a name or two returning from the past right now (actors, not characters), so it starts to feel like "DOOL" again.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Someone else playing Marlena,thats the funniest thing I have heard in a while,NOT,there are characters that can be recast easily,like Brady,Stephanie or other characters that have been recast as well,but Marlena is NOT one of them,I believe one of the main reasons people love the character is because of Deidre Hall,its one of the reasons I do and recasting the part,which I cannot see would be dumber than firing Drake and Deidre.

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

I don't see this happening. If it does...then Ken Corday is far worse than I ever imagined. Firing Deidre Hall is one thing, but recasting Marlena is totally in a whole other league. If you can't afford her that is one thing. Let her leave with grace and dignity. Don't replace Deidre Hall with a cheaper version. It's just not done. Let the character leave and if they want to bring her back it has to be Deidre Hall. No one else will work. Marlena is Deidre Hall. That is all.

darraholic
Member Avatar

I flove Joan Van Ark but the poor girl has destroyed her face. Such a shame because she was sexy as hell on Knots Landing.

I really can't see her as a Marlena but then again this is Corday who were talking about. Not the greatest at making smart decisions. I could see her as Laura but there really isn't any point to her since Mike, Jeremy, Jennifer & Abby are not on the show. I could see her as Fay Walker. She'd be great as Nicole's mother. But I can't see her as a possible romance for Abe.

My guess if she is joining the cast it will be one of Higley's character of the month type of role.
Edited by darraholic, Dec 17 2008, 11:09 AM.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Why would Days fire their biggest star, who they can't afford and don't write for, only to replace her with another actress they also can't afford and probably won't write for?

six
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 17 2008, 08:14 AM
Joan Van Ark would be a bigger name, but this poor woman does NOT look good!
Thank you for saying what I was thinking! Is that just a really bad picture? It looks like her face is bruised, or she's been out in the cold long enough to turn blue.

I hope they don't recast Marlena. If DH goes, Marlena should go.

Kyrai

OneBadKitty
Dec 17 2008, 11:19 AM
Why would Days fire their biggest star, who they can't afford and don't write for, only to replace her with another actress they also can't afford and probably won't write for?
I have to think this is just an off the wall rumor/tidbit, whatever.

Why replace DH with another name if they didn't ask DH to stay for less money? or Why replace her if part of the reason we were given is that they want to go another direction with story?

Now IF they offered her a paycut and she said 'no', much as I don't think I personally could accept a new Marlena anymore than I'd accept a new John, I couldn't necessarily blame them for trying. I can't imagine many going for it, but what else could they do.

It doesn't make sense if they claim they're having trouble writing for Marlena, why not just hire a new character that has a clean slate, which is kinda why I thought they're thinking of keeping Charlotte vs. hiring an actress who isn't Marlena but inherits the history that seems to cause problems for the writers? I'm not sure, but I'd guess that many of the people who watch for Marlena are Deidre fans, so they wouldn't just suddenly love this new actress and dive back into Days. They've had trouble writing for one, but now they suddenly want two Marlena types? Not to mention, they don't want to write for older characters anyway....

Do they actually like the history of J&M, but not how tied the fans are to the actors? Are they thinking they could bring John and Marlena back, but as new actors, the fans wouldn't mind them separated, so they can make more stories for them or keep them around as parents to use occasionally (why would they even bother)? I have trouble thinking they even worry about story to this level.

I just have trouble buying this.
Edited by Kyrai, Dec 17 2008, 11:51 AM.

Kyrai

jules
Dec 17 2008, 09:37 AM
I know some would never admit it, but Deidre Hall as Marlena is a pop culture icon IMHO. And from what I've heard NBC/Days has NO interest in writing for any character over 40, so I don't get why the character would be recast. I guess the only reason would to give Sami a mother figure, so maybe it will happen.
Oops, I didn't think of the AS angle. I could actually believe AS would want a mom on the show, and she seems to get what she wants. How much fun would it be for her to discuss her life with Roman all the time?

They wouldn't really have to write for Marlena then. They'd just have to have her pop in for Sami's scenes.

I still think it's likely fake, and hope it's not true, but some thoughts make me happy that I won't be watching after Jan 23rd.
Edited by Kyrai, Dec 17 2008, 12:54 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

There are just some characters that can't be recast and I think Marlena is one of them. That's like saying Estelle Getty would have made a good Alice Horton... there is only ONE Alice Horton :huh: There is only ONE Marlena just like there is ONE Victoria Lord or Erica Kane. (I used those because those are the shows I watch lol)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Dec 17 2008, 09:55 AM
I don't dislike the idea of Erin playing Belle -- but what this show needs right now is FAMILIARITY. And while I agree Erin could probably be very good, and I'd love to see her opposite Jay Johnson... this show needs to get people to tune back in, and re-hiring Martha would be a step in the right direction to smoothing the waters between the show and its frustrated fans.

I mean, every single fan base has pretty much been given the shaft this year. And while I agree you shouldn't always cater to fanbases, you also shouldn't piss every single one of them off. I really think Days would benefit from a name or two returning from the past right now (actors, not characters), so it starts to feel like "DOOL" again.
I agree.

I would advocate for a return or two but not until they settle into the current stories. I like Erin and think she could fit as Belle (I wanted her before Martha was casted) but I think you better off with a familiar face if they are available and I don't think Martha will cost them that much.

I would like Erin on the show though. I'm sure they could fine a role for her.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jules
I don't believe by any stretch of the imagination it's true. When I google pop culture icon, I find a site from VH1 listing the top 200 pop culture icons. The only ones even remotely associated with soaps or soapish type charactes are JR Ewing, Farrah Fawcett (a soap in her own right), Tony Soprano, Rhett and Scarlett, and SUSAN LUCCI. No mention anywhere of anyone associated with Days, and Susan Lucci was the only daytime soap actress. Here's the link for those who are interested:

Starting with Number 1

And, i know we don't always rely on Wikipedia, since it's human submissions, but here's their definition of pop culture icons:

I don't think most of us going around copying Marlena's hair or saying Marlena-isms or buying Marlena lunchboxes. although there IS a Sid and Marty Krofft Lunchbox that has Electrawoman and dynagirl on one side!!! Metal, even!!)

Anyway, it would also be sad to give Sami, a thirty-something year old woman, a mother figure. Sami needs to grow the hell up. It would make for great soap if Sami DIDN'T have Mommy and Daddy to run and save her ass all the time.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 17 2008, 02:02 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Dec 17 2008, 01:59 PM
Anyway, it would also be sad to give Sami, a thirty-something year old woman, a mother figure. Sami needs to grow the hell up. It would make for great soap if Sami DIDN'T have Mommy and Daddy to run and save her ass all the time.
I somehow doubt Sami will ever grow up, but I'm glad I don't have to stick around to see. The thought of them bringing back another actress as Marlena for that purpose sickens me though even if I won't be watching, so I hope you're right.

jules

ladyofthelake
jules
I don't believe by any stretch of the imagination it's true. When I google pop culture icon, I find a site from VH1 listing the top 200 pop culture icons. The only ones even remotely associated with soaps or soapish type charactes are JR Ewing, Farrah Fawcett (a soap in her own right), Tony Soprano, Rhett and Scarlett, and SUSAN LUCCI. No mention anywhere of anyone associated with Days, and Susan Lucci was the only daytime soap actress. Here's the link for those who are interested:

Starting with Number 1

And, i know we don't always rely on Wikipedia, since it's human submissions, but here's their definition of pop culture icons:

I don't think most of us going around copying Marlena's hair or saying Marlena-isms or buying Marlena lunchboxes. although there IS a Sid and Marty Krofft Lunchbox that has Electrawoman and dynagirl on one side!!! Metal, even!!)

Yes, I didn't expect you to believe or agree with a single word of it.

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

jules
Dec 17 2008, 03:17 PM
ladyofthelake
jules

Starting with Number 1

Yes, I didn't expect you to believe or agree with a single word of it.
I don't either. Calling her a pop culture icon is overstating and fanwanking, IMO.

Just about everyone knows who Susan Lucci is, even if they've never watched Daytime. There isn't any other single actor or actress on soaps who compares in terms of name recognition and long-standing popularity.

Most of my relatives and coworkers don't know who Marlena or Diedre Hall is (nor anyone else on Days for that matter), and none of them live under a rock. Just sayin.

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

Hmm, pop culture icons:

Madonna
Michael Jordan
Marilyn
Elvis
Princess Di
Oprah
The Beatles
Marlena

Which one just doesn't quite fit in? Posted Image
Edited by Pudge Goddess, Dec 17 2008, 07:56 PM.

jules

^^^^
I said it was my opinion...you can make fun of it as much as you want or dispute it. Have fun, but it won't change my mind!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply