Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soaps.com talks with JKJ
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 11:39 AM (618 Views)
Ellie

http://www.soaps.com/daysofourlives/news/3116/Jay_Kenneth_Johnson_Gives_Soapscom_the_Scoop_on_Da

First, we heard reports that Jay Kenneth Johnson cleared out his dressing room and quit Days of Our Lives amidst heated contract negotiations. Next, we heard that the show was auditioning actors to replace him as Philip. Finally, it was reported that he had returned and resigned with the show. So what’s the real story? Soaps.com went straight to the source and got Jay Kenneth Johnson’s first response to the situation.

It seems the reports that Jay resigned with the show are correct as he told us, “First of all, I AM still working at DOOL, and very happy to be there. I look forward to the upcoming stories that are planned.”

Sadly, the same can’t be said for a few of his co-stars including heavy hitters, Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Drake Hogestyn (John) who are slated to be leaving the NBC soap in early 2009. In regards to all the upheaval on the show, as well as on daytime in general, Jay stated, “As you know, the show has made some cutbacks, but Gary Tomlin (Days’ Co-Executive Producer) is doing a great job, dealing with ‘uncharted’ territory, so to speak.

“Soaps in general, have never been in this position.... having to make cutbacks, etc, etc. The actors, producers, and the entire crew are all affected somehow, and we're doing the best we can, and learning as we go.”

So he’s back and looking forward to the future of Philip Kiriakis, but what about the rumor that started this whole thing? As he shared, “Regarding the whole, ‘clearing out my dressing room', story...totally blown out of proportion. I don't feel the need to get into specifics, but I was unhappy with how the story was reported.”

Soaps.com is happy to know that Jay will continue to portray the always intriguing Philip Kiriakis and hope to see him and Days of our Lives on the small screen for a long time to come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

I am so glad for him that he is staying. He is such a cutie, and he seems to be an awesome person.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Something obviously happened. That's why he said he wouldn't go into specifics. The magazines probably blew it out of proportion, but I do believe there was tension that day and that Johnson was going to leave, but TPTB gave him whatever it was that he wanted in order to get him to stay.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

This sounds like they e-mailed him some questions and he wrote back. It's very carefully phrased. It reminds me of when athletes do something stupid and they release a carefullly-worded statement that sounds nothing like how they normally talk. Like earlier this season an LSU football player made some comments implying they were going to look to hurt Florida QB Tim Tebow, and when it got some coverage the LSU player issued some statement about how of course they never meant to hurt anyone blah blah blah. But it sounded completely different from his orginal comments and like a lawyer had written it. That's how I feel about this. I still believe something happened, probably because Corday was trying to make an example out of JKJ and make him look like a prick for not sacrificing for this beloved icon of a show--I would guess that's the reporting part he wasn't happy about, that SOD ran with the clearing out stuff without getting a comment from him.

zyona

DrewHamilton
Dec 17 2008, 12:51 PM
Something obviously happened. That's why he said he wouldn't go into specifics. The magazines probably blew it out of proportion, but I do believe there was tension that day and that Johnson was going to leave, but TPTB gave him whatever it was that he wanted in order to get him to stay.
I don't think they gave him what he wants, since they were ready to replace his ass quick. I think they leaked that info purposely and when the next day the firing about Marlena and John came out he knew that that fan are not going to make a big deal out his quitting. So I think he took a pay cut too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paxton
Dec 17 2008, 01:01 PM
This sounds like they e-mailed him some questions and he wrote back. It's very carefully phrased. It reminds me of when athletes do something stupid and they release a carefullly-worded statement that sounds nothing like how they normally talk. Like earlier this season an LSU football player made some comments implying they were going to look to hurt Florida QB Tim Tebow, and when it got some coverage the LSU player issued some statement about how of course they never meant to hurt anyone blah blah blah. But it sounded completely different from his orginal comments and like a lawyer had written it. That's how I feel about this. I still believe something happened, probably because Corday was trying to make an example out of JKJ and make him look like a prick for not sacrificing for this beloved icon of a show--I would guess that's the reporting part he wasn't happy about, that SOD ran with the clearing out stuff without getting a comment from him.
I agree. You can tell he was able to actually think before he spoke. He sounds very deliberate and something indeed happened.

Regardless, glad he is staying. I wouldn't be surprised if the shit he had to play in Wednesday's episode is partly why he was angry.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Dec 17 2008, 12:51 PM
Yes, and multiple sources said that the part was being recast. I understand if he's not happy with how it was reported, but I think it's very safe to say that there was something to report.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

but TPTB gave him whatever it was that he wanted in order to get him to stay.

I wish they would - because that would hopefully mean a return of Phloe - that's the storyline that JKJ's been pretty blatant about wanting to play.

But this show sucks, and thus I have no hope of seeing them together. Chloe will continue to skank around and Philip will continue to be attracted to underage children. So sad.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply