Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Higley Previews 2009
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 12:00 PM (7,983 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Days4Life
Dec 18 2008, 01:07 PM
Kenny
Dec 18 2008, 01:47 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 18 2008, 01:36 AM
I will admit that it seems like Days is missing something. I'm not sure if it's Martha or someone else but I feel like there is a void and it's not just because J&M are leaving and the vets aren't getting play. I, personally, can't put my finger on it for myself but I know it's there.
The show feels like it's missing its center -- its heart. Days doesn't feel like Days to me anymore.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I'm still watching because it's a decades long habit, but there's very little that interests me. DAYS was always a show that had a lot of traditional values--home, family, love, romance, commitment--and that's why I stuck with it when I gave up all the other soaps years ago. But now it feels stupid and sleazy and cold and sterile, and I barely recognize the show any more. I'm sticking with it because I always have hope that it will improve, but it's getting more and more difficult to sustain that hope. I could count on one hand the number of characters I care about right now...and none of them are in a decent storyline.

Someone earlier mentioned the "sweethearts" of the show, characters like Jennifer and Carrie and Belle. We have no one like that any more. Instead we have Chelsea, Stephanie and Melanie--none of which qualify. We used to have great young vixens like Eve and Sami, but now we have Melanie, a new character who a lot of people despise. Remember the great villiains and villainesses of the past, like Lawrence Alamain, Kristen, Vivian, Victor? Now Victor is barely on, Stefano's character is all over the place, EJ has been dumbed down, and Philip is too busy chasing interns to explore his true Kiriakis nature. Sami has been destroyed and replaced by Nicole, who I personally think is showing signs of character destruction at this point, mainly because part of the story is too rushed--example: the lack of any kind of personal insight when Brady exposed the young girl's scam--and part of it is dragging on too long. I don't understand why none of the people running this show can truly understand what the problems are, when it's so readily apparent to anyone who has watched it for any period of time.

The heart is mostly gone. And without it, what's to make us care enough to tune in five days a week?
You know, I was thinking about this, too, and I wonder if it's the good vibes and closeness that the cast had that's going away because they never know when the other show is going to drop. A lot of the vibe we felt, no matter how bad the writing, was because the cast, for the most part, honestly and truthfully got along and are (or were) great friends. I just get this feeling that maybe no one knows who to trust anymore, and they're just going thru the motions. We still get tiny pieces of warm fuzzies, like the Hilda/Sami scene (I kinda liked that), but they're so far and few between.
I think OLTL has spoiled me. When I think of the Christmas tree lighting scene from yesterday and how this balanced with the drama................There's too much yelling, snarking and other crap at Days and not enough of the tiny warm fuzzy scenes we used to get.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

The character can be annoying, but this actress playing Melanie is fierce! She's good.

cjknick
Member Avatar

If they are going to reorganize and change then do it .... drop the storylines in progress and really change this thing ... if there were ever a time for DAYS to go thru a major renovation it is now. They are losing the face of the show in Deidre anyway - so what's the point of keeping Days as it is? Daytime Drama is dying ... someone should start thinking outside of the box and I suppose Days since their time is about up best be coming up with a bold format that will bring in the viewers. If they can't afford a huge cast - cut!!! either keep a core of expensive Vets going with a cast of 16 or less and go to a 1/2 hour show letting the Vets drive every storyline or Cut most of the Vets and give the show the new generation make-over .... putting most of the vets on non-contract roles to come back to supporting some storylines. It's time to be BOLD or cut bait! They can't just tread water because the fear of changing and alienating and losing some viewers is keeping them from really trying to save this thing.
Edited by cjknick, Dec 18 2008, 03:00 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Quote:

Someone earlier mentioned the "sweethearts" of the show, characters like Jennifer and Carrie and Belle. We have no one like that any more. Instead we have Chelsea, Stephanie and Melanie--none of which qualify. We used to have great young vixens like Eve and Sami, but now we have Melanie, a new character who a lot of people despise. Remember the great villiains and villainesses of the past, like Lawrence Alamain, Kristen, Vivian, Victor? Now Victor is barely on, Stefano's character is all over the place, EJ has been dumbed down, and Philip is too busy chasing interns to explore his true Kiriakis nature. Sami has been destroyed and replaced by Nicole, who I personally think is showing signs of character destruction at this point, mainly because part of the story is too rushed--example: the lack of any kind of personal insight when Brady exposed the young girl's scam--and part of it is dragging on too long. I don't understand why none of the people running this show can truly understand what the problems are, when it's so readily apparent to anyone who has watched it for any period of time.

THANK YOU.

I totally feel like this show has lost itself. Sometimes, I wish Belle and Shawn would come back, and I hated Belle and Shawn for most of the time since they were SORASed.

I understand that shows change and that there's a need to focus on new characters after a while, but with Days right now...to me, they don't even have any new characters. They've got a bunch of people wandering around doing stuff (and each other).

The other element for me is the cast. The people they've hired and brought back lately are decent enough, but the people in the dominant storylines don't have the charisma to carry a show, and they don't have the charisma to pull off this kind of half-assed writing, imho. There's nobody left that I absolutely love so I'm willing to sit through stuff just to see them. James Scott seems cool, I don't hate Sweeney like most but she's not strong enough to overcome this pseudo-heroine Sami bullshit. Other than that...it's a bunch of people wandering around cheap sets talking at each other. Some of them are really attractive to look at, so I guess they deserve points for that.

It's bizarre because I watch OLTL every now and again (because of the Tess stuff) and feel more of a connection than I do with this show I've been following since 1996-7.

Days4Life

ladyofthelake
Dec 18 2008, 01:33 PM
Days4Life
Dec 18 2008, 01:07 PM
Kenny
Dec 18 2008, 01:47 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 18 2008, 01:36 AM
I will admit that it seems like Days is missing something. I'm not sure if it's Martha or someone else but I feel like there is a void and it's not just because J&M are leaving and the vets aren't getting play. I, personally, can't put my finger on it for myself but I know it's there.
The show feels like it's missing its center -- its heart. Days doesn't feel like Days to me anymore.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I'm still watching because it's a decades long habit, but there's very little that interests me. DAYS was always a show that had a lot of traditional values--home, family, love, romance, commitment--and that's why I stuck with it when I gave up all the other soaps years ago. But now it feels stupid and sleazy and cold and sterile, and I barely recognize the show any more. I'm sticking with it because I always have hope that it will improve, but it's getting more and more difficult to sustain that hope. I could count on one hand the number of characters I care about right now...and none of them are in a decent storyline.

The heart is mostly gone. And without it, what's to make us care enough to tune in five days a week?
You know, I was thinking about this, too, and I wonder if it's the good vibes and closeness that the cast had that's going away because they never know when the other show is going to drop. A lot of the vibe we felt, no matter how bad the writing, was because the cast, for the most part, honestly and truthfully got along and are (or were) great friends. I just get this feeling that maybe no one knows who to trust anymore, and they're just going thru the motions. We still get tiny pieces of warm fuzzies, like the Hilda/Sami scene (I kinda liked that), but they're so far and few between.
I think OLTL has spoiled me. When I think of the Christmas tree lighting scene from yesterday and how this balanced with the drama................There's too much yelling, snarking and other crap at Days and not enough of the tiny warm fuzzy scenes we used to get.
I forgot to say earlier that one of the big problems right now (for me anyway) is that the characters are very isolated. Everyone is off in their own story, in their own little corner of Salem. One thing I liked about Hogan's regime was that we got a lot of characters interacting and intersecting. Right now it feels like we have a lot of little shows going on inside one big show. That's one reason I don't feel the "family" vibe right now.

Lady, you make a good point about the cast. Some of their tension and anxiety may very well be bleeding through...I hadn't thought of that, but it's an excellent point.

Kenny
Member Avatar

six
Dec 18 2008, 11:07 AM
Don't forget Morgan with Philip, Max and Nick, and Daniel with Lexie (eating cream cheese off her nose etc.)
Oh, yes! I forgot all about Morgan/Phillip.

ericfan400

these previews are not interesting at all

King
Member Avatar

Mason and Kenny, I really cannot believe you guys haven't been liking SOME STUFF the show has been doing lately!

I am on Nov. 26th's episode.

There are so many good moments!:

- Chloe vs. Victor at Kate's party.
- Chelsea vs. Melanie at the Pub.
- EVERYTHING Nicole/Ari Zuker
- EVERYTHING Nick/Blake Berris - and I can't believe I am saying that! But he is acting the hell out of his exit.
- Maggie vs. Melanie...just Maggie in general, really! I love seeing Rogers on my screen.

Then, there is a bunch of stuff that sucks, of course, but there is some good stuff too.
Edited by King, Dec 18 2008, 07:24 PM.

Mason

King
Dec 18 2008, 07:21 PM
Mason and Kenny, I really cannot believe you guys haven't been liking SOME STUFF the show has been doing lately!
Nope, not a thing, LoL. You may think I'm just being facetious when I say this, but there really is not one thing I'm enjoying on DAYS, right now. I really can't remember the last time I was this bored with the show.

King
Member Avatar

I can see how people don't care for the stories. But the individual scenes are good, IMO.

I don't care about this Melanie girl or story, but all of the scenes surrounding the storyline have been good, from what I've seen.

Mason

I guess good individual scenes just aren't enough for me. Every soap has them, even if it sucks.

King
Member Avatar

I can see how that's not enough, but no show is perfect.

And also, I disagree. Haha. In its last two years, I don't think PSNS had even good inidividual scenes.

Mason

King
Dec 18 2008, 07:55 PM
And also, I disagree. Haha. In its last two years, I don't think PSNS had even good inidividual scenes.
LoL, well, you may be right on that one!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Dec 18 2008, 07:55 PM
I can see how that's not enough, but no show is perfect.

They had a few but not alot LOL.

King, I think you will find that the stories improve somewhat as you go along. They definitely get a bit more defined in what we are watching now. Your right though. No show is perfect. Not even Y&R and OLTL, which are on fire right now.

King
Member Avatar

Yeah. Like I said, if I was sitting through all of the shit that brought us to this point...well, I didn't sit through it so obviously I hated it.

But now that we are at the point where this couples are together and the clusterfuck of pairings seems to have died down, it really is not that bad. IMO.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Dec 18 2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah. Like I said, if I was sitting through all of the shit that brought us to this point...well, I didn't sit through it so obviously I hated it.

But now that we are at the point where this couples are together and the clusterfuck of pairings seems to have died down, it really is not that bad. IMO.
It was tough for awhile, regardless of the reasons why it happened.

It's like I've said. I can deal with bad stories if there is a direction. If I can sense where your going and if the story is going somewhere and not being dropped or changed at the drop of a hat, I can deal with it. That is just how I feel. The show wasn't like that for awhile until Tomlin came in and things steadily improved in that regard and I think it will be even better going into 2009.

Just a warning, King because this pissed me off too...the Kate's illness story gets gutted and rushed to an end LOL. You will get to that soon but I know you love Kate and I just wanted to warn you. I hated it but it actually seems to be giving birth to some better stuff for her in the end and these previews for 2009 sort of allude to that.

King
Member Avatar

I think I am kind of ready for it to be done, even if it is rushed. Haha.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Dec 18 2008, 10:18 PM
I think I am kind of ready for it to be done, even if it is rushed. Haha.
Ah. not a fan of it, huh?

She did good with it and I thought they did a good job of involving her kids and mentioning those not there. It did take her away from what makes her great though. I just hated how rushed it was.

The good news is she will be out of Daniel's life and on to better things. I liked them a bit but I like him and Chloe better. They have more sizzling chemistry and I want to see power hungry, bitchy Kate back, which I hope is what is being hinted at in these spoilers. I can't see how choosing between two of the most powerful men in Salem can't bring out the bitch in her LOL.

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Dec 18 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm enjoying aspects of the Nicole story, but that's about it, LoL.

Other than that, there's nothing that I like. Higley can't structure a dramatic story to save her life!

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Dec 18 2008, 10:04 PM
Have you read the 2009 previews? It sounds like we're gonna have more of the partner swapping. It sounds like they'll be flirting with the idea of Chelsea/Daniel again, Kate will be floating between two men, and Chloe will be licking her chops for Daniel while planning her wedding to Lucas. It's such an aimless mess!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply