Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for week of January 5th; *UPDATED 12/30*
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 03:03 PM (12,128 Views)
Ellie

Wonder if the end of the autism story would mean saying buh-bye to Abe and Lexie...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:26 PM
ArizonaDaze
Dec 30 2008, 06:17 PM
Angie79
Dec 30 2008, 05:33 PM

Theo must undergo surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

So after the surgery, Theo will be normal. I'll bet he was never autistic, just pressure on the brain. That will be the out for a story that, for the most part, has fizzled.
Wow - if that's the case, this would be a huge embarrassment for NBC and Days. They promoted that story so much, had Dena on the Today show, sent the little boy out to do public appearances...

I think this would be a huge slap in the face to any parents of autistic children who were watching this story looking for direction.
I can't imagine them doing that either. I don't know why they would unless they wanted to sora-ize Theo.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:34 PM
OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:30 PM
Why is everyone so surprised that the J&M exit is going to be a rush job? This show doesn't care what we think or what we want. :shame:
lol I'm not surprised at all!! It will surprise me if we get more than one J&M show without Dr. Charlotte Taylor before they leave.
"More than one"? So you're expecting one full J & M show without Dr. Charlotte Taylor? Optimistic! I've given up hope I'll ever see Philip again without Melanie in his face or right around the corner.
Edited by Paxton, Dec 30 2008, 06:51 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Ellie
Wonder if the end of the autism story would mean saying buh-bye to Abe and Lexie...
It would be so much better to kill Theo and have Lexie turn back into the raving psycho bitch she's meant to be.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Amello
Dec 30 2008, 06:37 PM
Ellie
It would be so much better to kill Theo and have Lexie turn back into the raving psycho bitch she's meant to be.
I also find Abe and Lexie completely boring at this point. I liked psycho-Lexie much better.

Ellie

Paxton
Dec 30 2008, 06:37 PM
Ellie
OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:30 PM
Why is everyone so surprised that the J&M exit is going to be a rush job? This show doesn't care what we think or what we want. :shame:
lol I'm not surprised at all!! It will surprise me if we get more than one J&M show without Dr. Charlotte Taylor before they leave.
"More than one"? So you're expecting one full J & M show with Dr. Charlotte Taylor? Optimistic! I've given up hope I'll ever see Philip again without Melanie in his face or right around the corner.
LOL! You're right, I shouldn't get my hopes up. :tounge:

jane1978

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:26 PM
ArizonaDaze
Dec 30 2008, 06:17 PM
Angie79

Theo must undergo surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

So after the surgery, Theo will be normal. I'll bet he was never autistic, just pressure on the brain. That will be the out for a story that, for the most part, has fizzled.
Wow - if that's the case, this would be a huge embarrassment for NBC and Days. They promoted that story so much, had Dena on the Today show, sent the little boy out to do public appearances...

I think this would be a huge slap in the face to any parents of autistic children who were watching this story looking for direction.
But there is nothing what you can do with the story anymore. it neutralises any conflict for Abe/Lexie as they have to be this boring loving family as long as Theo needs them and he will need them for another 20 years. This is not like the cancer storyline with Chloe, there is no end, no happyend. How many times can Theo run and Lexie panic? How many times he can ignore her and finally hug in the last segment?

Im not even sure this really means the end, but if it does, I applaud Gary Tomlin for another smart decision. Abe and Lexie deserves better than be a walking public announcement.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

The autism story should end... oh wait, it never really got started, did it? :ermmmm:

Ellie

jane1978
Dec 30 2008, 06:42 PM
But there is nothing what you can do with the story anymore. it neutralises any conflict for Abe/Lexie as they have to be this boring loving family as long as Theo needs them and he will need them for another 20 years. This is not like the cancer storyline with Chloe, there is no end, no happyend. How many times can Theo run and Lexie panic? How many times he can ignore her and finally hug in the last segment?

Im not even sure this really means the end, but if it does, I applaud Gary Tomlin for another smart decision. Abe and Lexie deserves better than be a walking public announcement.
I just want be clear on this: I never liked the idea of this story in the first place. BUT, if you're going to do a story like this, and involve a national autism organization, and put the cast of the story on the Today show, and send a little boy out at night to a fundraiser for an autism organization, and appeal to parents of autistic children to watch the story, then I think what you have to do is show the character as autistic for the rest of his/her life. Certainly treatments can help, and if that's the case, they should be showing that. BUT, imo if they are going to 'undo' the entire story through making it a misdiagnosis or using some sort of 'miracle cure' found only in Salem, I think that's a slap in the face to any parent of an autistic child who's been watching, and I think it's an embarrassment to NBC and Days.

e83talus
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:44 PM
The autism story should end... oh wait, it never really got started, did it? :ermmmm:
There was an autism storyline? LOL

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Ellie, I completely agree but this is a show that loves to slap it's viewers around. Stax is another example. Their fans threw out that "they are not blood related" argument and my problem with it is that it implied if you are not blood related, you are not family, which I thought was an insult to adopted and step children.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:46 PM
jane1978
Dec 30 2008, 06:42 PM

I just want be clear on this: I never liked the idea of this story in the first place. BUT, if you're going to do a story like this, and involve a national autism organization, and put the cast of the story on the Today show, and send a little boy out at night to a fundraiser for an autism organization, and appeal to parents of autistic children to watch the story, then I think what you have to do is show the character as autistic for the rest of his/her life. Certainly treatments can help, and if that's the case, they should be showing that. BUT, imo if they are going to 'undo' the entire story through making it a misdiagnosis or using some sort of 'miracle cure' found only in Salem, I think that's a slap in the face to any parent of an autistic child who's been watching, and I think it's an embarrassment to NBC and Days.

And why does it have to be the focus? There has to be a way to resolve the focus on this with a support group or PSA or something, then go on, with the knowledge that Theo is going to be autistic. Have him do what he does, maybe as part of another storyline. Just like Ciara does what she does. Theo is a child who just happens to be autistic, just like Carrie Weaver just happened to be a doctor who used a cane on ER. (I was going to use House as an example, but that defeats my purpose, since his disability is often a part of the storyline, at least as a sideline. But then again..........)
It's a message that will say "Yes, this happens. Yes, this is part of life. Yes, this is how Abe and Lexie deal with it while they deal with the rest of their lives". It could be done.
In my awkward and wordy way, what I'm saying is....keep it, make note of it, but incorporate it as just part of who Theo is, in different storylines. Let's go on. We have Abe as mayor. Surely there are some awesome things Abe can do as mayor. Maybe Abe and Lexie hire Chelsea as a nanny so Lexie can go back to work. There's no reason why Lexie can't be bitchy Lexie and still a loving mother. Case in point: Dorian Lord. :)
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 30 2008, 06:54 PM.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

It could be done, lady, but so far it's been all wrong.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:53 PM
It could be done, lady, but so far it's been all wrong.
I know. I'm in my nevernever land of "In the hands of other writers", LOL

Ellie

Ladyofthelake, completely agree, and I think Carrie Weaver is a good example.

OBK, regarding adopted children, I think the difference is that here, they've involved national organizations in promoting it, which even gives it a legitimacy that other 'family issues' storylines haven't had.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

While we're talking about this autism story (if I may call it that)...

So far, all I've really seen is Theo either act up or shut down and Lexie freaking out over whichever one happens and Abe tapping his foot saying Lexie is too overprotective. That's pretty much it. I know parents react to this news in different ways but they have had some time to take it all in. Now it's time for some reaction, getting educated, talking to other parents of autistic children, etc. and just trying to make sure you're not losing your marbles. But what did we get? Nothing.
Edited by OneBadKitty, Dec 30 2008, 06:59 PM.

Ellie

^^ Completely agree - I think what we have seen of the story hasn't been done that well at all. Didn't Dena make a comment at one point about 'leaving no stone unturned' in this? I really haven't seen that in the writing.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:59 PM
While we're talking about this autism story (if I may call it that)...

So far, all I've really seen is Theo either act up or shut down and Lexie freaking out over whichever one happens and Abe tapping his foot saying Lexie is too overprotective. That's pretty much it. I know parents react to this news in different ways but they have had some time to take it all in. Now it's time for some reaction, getting educated, talking to other parents of autistic children, etc. and just trying to make sure you're not losing your marbles. But what did we get? Nothing.
It was a "Lexie can't connect, Abe somewhat connects but gets impatient with Lexie, and Chelsea is the hero". So, poor Theo is just the catalyst. When Bo was having his visions, why couldn't it have been Ciara who ran off? Seriously. A little girl, curious about something, taking off from her home, a la Zach and the cat. That would have had more of a connection with Bo, anyway. The vision of Zach saving his little sister. Any little kid takes off without thinking. Lots of kids throw tantrums in public.
Ah, well.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 07:02 PM
^^ Completely agree - I think what we have seen of the story hasn't been done that well at all. Didn't Dena make a comment at one point about 'leaving no stone unturned' in this? I really haven't seen that in the writing.
In all fairness to Dena, this was thrust on her. And, as we well know, she might have turned those stones, and Corday turned them back again. Or Tomlin. Who knows? This wasn't Tomlin's baby, so he might be putting the cabbosh (How do you spell that?) on this.

peaches179

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:16 PM
peaches179
Dec 30 2008, 05:37 PM
Angie79
John remembers seeing Marlena on a pier many years ago.

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to that scene! :)
Wonder who's going to be with John when he remembers that.

LOL, I don't even want to go there. I'm just going to enjoy the flashback. It's my all time favorite. I'm just hoping J&M can get a few decent scenes before they exit next month. That's about all I can hope for. :(

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply