Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for week of January 5th; *UPDATED 12/30*
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 03:03 PM (11,940 Views)
jane1978

OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:59 PM
While we're talking about this autism story (if I may call it that)...

So far, all I've really seen is Theo either act up or shut down and Lexie freaking out over whichever one happens and Abe tapping his foot saying Lexie is too overprotective. That's pretty much it. I know parents react to this news in different ways but they have had some time to take it all in. Now it's time for some reaction, getting educated, talking to other parents of autistic children, etc. and just trying to make sure you're not losing your marbles. But what did we get? Nothing.
I think thatīs exactly the problem. Because the things you are describing are so undramatic and unDAYS and simply boring I think any sane EP immediatelly bans any suggestions to invest some serious airtime into that. So they show only the most dramatic moments and the obligatory family moments and even these use as a filler and only when there is some spare time to not scare viewers off.
Edited by jane1978, Dec 30 2008, 07:21 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Dec 30 2008, 07:13 PM
Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 07:02 PM
^^ Completely agree - I think what we have seen of the story hasn't been done that well at all. Didn't Dena make a comment at one point about 'leaving no stone unturned' in this? I really haven't seen that in the writing.
In all fairness to Dena, this was thrust on her. And, as we well know, she might have turned those stones, and Corday turned them back again. Or Tomlin. Who knows? This wasn't Tomlin's baby, so he might be putting the cabbosh (How do you spell that?) on this.
Well, I do blame Dena for how the story was written at least at the beginning, based on comments she's made in interviews and the fact that the story is so formulaic. But I agree, I wouldn't think it would be her decision to end it in this way, if that's what's happening. She has an autistic son and I highly doubt she'd ever 'undo' a story like this.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

peaches179
Dec 30 2008, 07:15 PM
Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:16 PM
peaches179
Dec 30 2008, 05:37 PM
Angie79
Dec 30 2008, 05:33 PM
John remembers seeing Marlena on a pier many years ago.

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to that scene! :)
Wonder who's going to be with John when he remembers that.

LOL, I don't even want to go there. I'm just going to enjoy the flashback. It's my all time favorite. I'm just hoping J&M can get a few decent scenes before they exit next month. That's about all I can hope for. :(
Same here,I actually wrote to the producers shortly after Drake and Dee were fired asking for that scene to be showed one more time,so happy it will be.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I was hoping to see Abe and Lexie divorce because Abe couldn't accept his kid as being different, and Lexie sticking up for him...or Lexie cheating on Abe, then being blackmailed by someone because she is the wife of a politician...something soapy.
I will be laughing my ass off if they "cure" Theo of his autism after all of the hype Days has been getting for it. That is a shitty way to handle it. It's not like kids have that big of a role on the show. Theo could just be a mention here and there, and show the affects on Lexie and Abe.

However, I did read that Jenny McCarthy's son was cured of autism through therapy and diet (or something), so is it possible?

Love that my "sucker punch Lucas" decks Dr. Dan. He has been asking for it!!! Although, in a fair fight, I have a feeling that Lucas would get his ass kicked. Dan is one buff dude. Then again, so is Lucas. Hard to say.

Love that they will show Jarlena on the pier! It will break my Jarlena loving heart and take me back to the days of great romances. Haven't seen one of those on Days in a long time!!!

Thanks for the updates, Angie!!!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Alligato
Dec 30 2008, 09:41 PM
I was hoping to see Abe and Lexie divorce because Abe couldn't accept his kid as being different, and Lexie sticking up for him...or Lexie cheating on Abe, then being blackmailed by someone because she is the wife of a politician...something soapy.
I will be laughing my ass off if they "cure" Theo of his autism after all of the hype Days has been getting for it. That is a shitty way to handle it. It's not like kids have that big of a role on the show. Theo could just be a mention here and there, and show the affects on Lexie and Abe.

However, I did read that Jenny McCarthy's son was cured of autism through therapy and diet (or something), so is it possible?

Love that my "sucker punch Lucas" decks Dr. Dan. He has been asking for it!!! Although, in a fair fight, I have a feeling that Lucas would get his ass kicked. Dan is one buff dude. Then again, so is Lucas. Hard to say.

Love that they will show Jarlena on the pier! It will break my Jarlena loving heart and take me back to the days of great romances. Haven't seen one of those on Days in a long time!!!

Thanks for the updates, Angie!!!
I really doubt Jenny McCartney's son was "cured". He might have learned to adapt as he got older, like Dena's son, but I don't think there is a cure. Either that, or he was misdiagnosed to begin with.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Dec 30 2008, 07:20 PM
OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:59 PM
While we're talking about this autism story (if I may call it that)...

So far, all I've really seen is Theo either act up or shut down and Lexie freaking out over whichever one happens and Abe tapping his foot saying Lexie is too overprotective. That's pretty much it. I know parents react to this news in different ways but they have had some time to take it all in. Now it's time for some reaction, getting educated, talking to other parents of autistic children, etc. and just trying to make sure you're not losing your marbles. But what did we get? Nothing.
I think thatīs exactly the problem. Because the things you are describing are so undramatic and unDAYS and simply boring I think any sane EP immediatelly bans any suggestions to invest some serious airtime into that. So they show only the most dramatic moments and the obligatory family moments and even these use as a filler and only when there is some spare time to not scare viewers off.
Exactly. I think many have been trained to expect Days a certain way, which is why the numbers are as good as they are now. I think the way the show is fits into what is expected by the people who matter in the ratings.

By the way, Theo is not cured of autism. I don't know why people would think that. I think there was spoilers mentioned somewhere on the DR that Theo got into an accident. Bo's visions set this up too. Thaoo alluded to it too as Tony and Stefano are by Lexie's side. It happens the week of January 5th. I think it may even happen in the mansion as Stefano and Lexie are arguing, I believe over Theo, and he takes a bad fall. It has nothing to do with his autism.

I totally disagree about the autism. The writing for Abe and Lexie was great in October and early November because their appearances were about more then just the autism. The autism story was blended into his mayor race story and it worked wonderfully. The issue is that since then it's just been about the autism and not much else. Hopefully, they will get back to making it part of the material for Abe and Lexie and not using it as their sole purpose.

While the story was not Dena's idea, I do think it is sort of her story and if it was trashed, that would be a sure sign that she will be gone soon.

The spoilers sound great, especially the J&M one. It has to be the 1991 one scene.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 30 2008, 10:18 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2008, 10:15 PM
I totally disagree about the autism. The writing for Abe and Lexie was great in October and early November because their appearances were about more then just the autism. The autism story was blended into his mayor race story and it worked wonderfully. The issue is that since then it's just been about the autism and not much else. Hopefully, they will get back to making it part of the material for Abe and Lexie and not using it as their sole purpose.
I agree with this. It was during the Mayor stuff in October-November I felt the autism part was played in well. But I didn't like it before or now after. I would rather see that Abe and Lexie divorced and Lexie moved in with Stefano and turned to the dark side again.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:39 PM
Amello
Dec 30 2008, 06:37 PM
Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:34 PM
Wonder if the end of the autism story would mean saying buh-bye to Abe and Lexie...
It would be so much better to kill Theo and have Lexie turn back into the raving psycho bitch she's meant to be.
I also find Abe and Lexie completely boring at this point. I liked psycho-Lexie much better.
Yes! I don't understand why they didn't keep Lexie as Alexandra DiMera and have that be the reason for the end of her marriage to Abe. Then Abe could have married Celeste and left Salem with her.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Quote:

Hope convinces Bo to take a romantic break with her.

What? Is the big Bo seeing dead people storyline over already? It was hilarious btw. Bravo, Higley for giving Peter Reckell some comedy to play.

Quote:

I love when I get a break from Higley's version of J&M.

Thanks angie
Edited by Jiggs, Dec 31 2008, 12:28 AM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:16 PM
peaches179
Dec 30 2008, 05:37 PM
Angie79

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to that scene! :)
Wonder who's going to be with John when he remembers that.
I know that was a rhetorical question, Ellie, but I'm gonna guess anyway... either Melanie or Charlotte.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Autism is not curable, rather there are different variations of this illness. I think that they painted themselves into a corner by portraying such a severe case. I also think that Lexie should be more patient of him by this stage- being knowledgeable about it.
I wouldn't mind if they dropped this SL and "magically" cured him. Just another SL that they F-ed up.
As for "mentalist" Bo?! Come on...this is just lazy writing and Hope is not even involved in the SL. Can he fall off another ladder and let them be incompetent cops like they always are?
Liz

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:26 PM
ArizonaDaze
Dec 30 2008, 06:17 PM
Angie79

Theo must undergo surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

So after the surgery, Theo will be normal. I'll bet he was never autistic, just pressure on the brain. That will be the out for a story that, for the most part, has fizzled.
Wow - if that's the case, this would be a huge embarrassment for NBC and Days. They promoted that story so much, had Dena on the Today show, sent the little boy out to do public appearances...

I think this would be a huge slap in the face to any parents of autistic children who were watching this story looking for direction.
This would be par for the course. Didn't they do a story about infant alcohol syndrome or something like that? The baby somehow was cured of that. I think it was Hope's baby, or that Margo.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Dec 30 2008, 06:30 PM
Why is everyone so surprised that the J&M exit is going to be a rush job? This show doesn't care what we think or what we want. :shame:
I know. I'm actually surprised they are giving them any kind of farewell. Usually people they fire disappear immediately and it's like they never existed.
Edited by Jiggs, Dec 31 2008, 12:39 AM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Amello
Dec 30 2008, 06:37 PM
Ellie
Dec 30 2008, 06:34 PM
Wonder if the end of the autism story would mean saying buh-bye to Abe and Lexie...
It would be so much better to kill Theo and have Lexie turn back into the raving psycho bitch she's meant to be.
When did she stop being a raving psycho bitch? :wave:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jane1978
Dec 30 2008, 06:42 PM
Ellie
ArizonaDaze
Angie79

So after the surgery, Theo will be normal. I'll bet he was never autistic, just pressure on the brain. That will be the out for a story that, for the most part, has fizzled.
Wow - if that's the case, this would be a huge embarrassment for NBC and Days. They promoted that story so much, had Dena on the Today show, sent the little boy out to do public appearances...

I think this would be a huge slap in the face to any parents of autistic children who were watching this story looking for direction.
But there is nothing what you can do with the story anymore. it neutralises any conflict for Abe/Lexie as they have to be this boring loving family as long as Theo needs them and he will need them for another 20 years. This is not like the cancer storyline with Chloe, there is no end, no happyend. How many times can Theo run and Lexie panic? How many times he can ignore her and finally hug in the last segment?

Iīm not even sure this really means the end, but if it does, I applaud Gary Tomlin for another smart decision. Abe and Lexie deserves better than be a walking public announcement.

Then they never should have written Theo as being autistic, and made it into a big story. Typical Days to highlight something then wipe it away like it never existed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jiggs
Dec 31 2008, 12:37 AM
Ellie
ArizonaDaze
Angie79

This would be par for the course. Didn't they do a story about infant alcohol syndrome or something like that? The baby somehow was cured of that. I think it was Hope's baby, or that Margo.
They never cured it. JT still has it. He's with Glen and Barb now since he was really Marlo and Glen's kid, not Bo and Hope's.

And they are not dropping the autism story either. Theo's surgery is related to his fall. Corday even said the story would continue in the 2009 previews.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
While the story was not Dena's idea, I do think it is sort of her story and if it was trashed, that would be a sure sign that she will be gone soon.
Wait a minute. The autism storyline wasn't Dena's? How do you know this? I don't recall Higley coming out, one time, and saying that she was forced to write this story. Actually, I've read the opposite. She was praising writing this storyline because it was so dear and near to her heart because of her own children. But now she was supposedly forced?

Jiggs
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 31 2008, 12:49 AM
PhoenixRising05
Wait a minute. The autism storyline wasn't Dena's? How do you know this? I don't recall Higley coming out, one time, and saying that she was forced to write this story. Actually, I've read the opposite. She was praising writing this storyline because it was so dear and near to her heart because of her own children. But now she was supposedly forced?
Thank you, I was thinking the same things. When did we ever hear this story was forced on her and it wasn't her baby?? Seems to me it was something she forced on us.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 31 2008, 12:49 AM
PhoenixRising05
It's been discussed numerous times. Some of her comments in her blog suggested being uncomfortable with the subject matter because of her son and because of it hitting so close to home. She mentioned how NBC and Days came to her to write this.

Here is the quote from her July 2nd blog: "And now I'm getting ready to go back to NYC to do the Today show with Renee and Jim and talk about the autism storyline. I want everyone to know that NBC came to me with this story idea (props to Rebecca McGill and Bruce). This wasn't my initial idea. I would never presume to foist my own agenda on the public. But with a nurturing environment, our writers are going to go to town to write a pretty powerful story. And Renee and Jim are beyond great and ready to commit body and soul to this story. How fabulous is that?"

She has discussed autism numerous times in her blog and it's clearly a weighty subject for her. She has since praised how good it turned out but I do think she was uncomfortable with it off the bat and that, along with Ed, played a role in the uneven start to the story. It can't be a coincidence that the minute Dena got back in control, the autism story got more play.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 31 2008, 01:01 AM
Here is the quote from her July 2nd blog: "And now I'm getting ready to go back to NYC to do the Today show with Renee and Jim and talk about the autism storyline. I want everyone to know that NBC came to me with this story idea (props to Rebecca McGill and Bruce). This wasn't my initial idea. I would never presume to foist my own agenda on the public. But with a nurturing environment, our writers are going to go to town to write a pretty powerful story. And Renee and Jim are beyond great and ready to commit body and soul to this story. How fabulous is that?"
I remember this quote. But I never took this as Higley being forced to write the autism storyline. I know the execs can be cruel, but if they thought for one moment that this storyline was pushing too close to home for Higley, they would have axed the idea. They would've had to take her personal life into effect. I believe that NBC approached her about the idea to have one of the children of Salem be diagnosed with autism, and Higley accepted the idea. I think that the stuff we saw in the fall, when the story actually seemed to be about Theo's autism, was supposed to be what was written in the beginning. However, it was around this time that Scott and Higley seemed to start butting heads and storylines were being thrown in every random way. The autism storyline probably didn't get the attention it should've gotten, and did get later on in the year.

But in no way do I think NBC forced Higley to write this story and that she was uncomfortable to write it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply