Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for week of January 5th; *UPDATED 12/30*
Topic Started: Dec 17 2008, 03:03 PM (12,173 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

Days has dropped or short changed nearly every story this year. That is all, lol.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Dec 31 2008, 01:15 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 31 2008, 01:01 AM
Here is the quote from her July 2nd blog: "And now I'm getting ready to go back to NYC to do the Today show with Renee and Jim and talk about the autism storyline. I want everyone to know that NBC came to me with this story idea (props to Rebecca McGill and Bruce). This wasn't my initial idea. I would never presume to foist my own agenda on the public. But with a nurturing environment, our writers are going to go to town to write a pretty powerful story. And Renee and Jim are beyond great and ready to commit body and soul to this story. How fabulous is that?"
I remember this quote. But I never took this as Higley being forced to write the autism storyline. I know the execs can be cruel, but if they thought for one moment that this storyline was pushing too close to home for Higley, they would have axed the idea. They would've had to take her personal life into effect. I believe that NBC approached her about the idea to have one of the children of Salem be diagnosed with autism, and Higley accepted the idea. I think that the stuff we saw in the fall, when the story actually seemed to be about Theo's autism, was supposed to be what was written in the beginning. However, it was around this time that Scott and Higley seemed to start butting heads and storylines were being thrown in every random way. The autism storyline probably didn't get the attention it should've gotten, and did get later on in the year.

But in no way do I think NBC forced Higley to write this story and that she was uncomfortable to write it.
Perhaps "forced" is the wrong word on my part.

I think the point is it wasn't her idea. However, I must disagree on NBC taking into account her personal feelings. They could care less. Network execs only care about the bottom line. Their decisions suggest that. They saw a chance at publicity and saw other shows/networks promoting autism too so they jumped on the bandwagon, much like they did the Green Movement. Same goes for Days. It was publicity. We';re talking about the same people that forced Hogan Sheffer to drag out stories and not use vets for 3-4 months. What they want, they want and Higley wanted her job so she went with it. She knows her job options will suck if she is axed so she will do what they want.

I do think your right on about the poor timing of the start of it. It started around the time Higley and Scott seemed to but heads and the Fall seems entirely different. I do think it was played out the way it was intended then.

I also have to agree with hops' comment. Up until the past three months, the show lacked direction and was all over the place. It's improved immensely on that note. However, I can't give the credit to Higley. I think Tomlin and Whitesell and the additions to the writing team helped and I actually feel like she has barely any say in what happens now outside of things here and there. Tomlin is getting everything he wants. Directors he wants, writers he wants,influencing casting...I think at some point, possibly soon, he will get his boy Chris Whitesell in the HW's chair for sure.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Gee guys, just because I speculated that the surgery would cure Theo of autism doesn't mean that is what will happen. Or that it should happen. The only way that it could work would be that Theo wasn't autistic in the first place. After all, super doc Dan didn't diagnose him in the first place so it could be just a misdiagnosis.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Dec 31 2008, 01:38 AM
DrewHamilton
PhoenixRising05
Here is the quote from her July 2nd blog: "And now I'm getting ready to go back to NYC to do the Today show with Renee and Jim and talk about the autism storyline. I want everyone to know that NBC came to me with this story idea (props to Rebecca McGill and Bruce). This wasn't my initial idea. I would never presume to foist my own agenda on the public. But with a nurturing environment, our writers are going to go to town to write a pretty powerful story. And Renee and Jim are beyond great and ready to commit body and soul to this story. How fabulous is that?"
I remember this quote. But I never took this as Higley being forced to write the autism storyline. I know the execs can be cruel, but if they thought for one moment that this storyline was pushing too close to home for Higley, they would have axed the idea. They would've had to take her personal life into effect. I believe that NBC approached her about the idea to have one of the children of Salem be diagnosed with autism, and Higley accepted the idea. I think that the stuff we saw in the fall, when the story actually seemed to be about Theo's autism, was supposed to be what was written in the beginning. However, it was around this time that Scott and Higley seemed to start butting heads and storylines were being thrown in every random way. The autism storyline probably didn't get the attention it should've gotten, and did get later on in the year.

But in no way do I think NBC forced Higley to write this story and that she was uncomfortable to write it.

I think the point is it wasn't her idea. However, I must disagree on NBC taking into account her personal feelings. They could care less. Network execs only care about the bottom line. Their decisions suggest that. They saw a chance at publicity and saw other shows/networks promoting autism too so they jumped on the bandwagon, much like they did the Green Movement. Same goes for Days. It was publicity. We';re talking about the same people that forced Hogan Sheffer to drag out stories and not use vets for 3-4 months. What they want, they want and Higley wanted her job so she went with it. She knows her job options will suck if she is axed so she will do what they want.

I do think your right on about the poor timing of the start of it. It started around the time Higley and Scott seemed to but heads and the Fall seems entirely different. I do think it was played out the way it was intended then.

I also have to agree with hops' comment. Up until the past three months, the show lacked direction and was all over the place. It's improved immensely on that note. However, I can't give the credit to Higley. I think Tomlin and Whitesell and the additions to the writing team helped and I actually feel like she has barely any say in what happens now outside of things here and there. Tomlin is getting everything he wants. Directors he wants, writers he wants,influencing casting...I think at some point, possibly soon, he will get his boy Chris Whitesell in the HW's chair for sure.
You know, originally I believed this, but my feelings are now (and they might be totally biased) that Dena probably has no problem with this storyline because she has no problem making a big deal about it WITH her grown son on her blog. If they did make her do this storyline and she claims she wasn't comfortable with it, I cry foul. She has no qualms about using her son's issues in her blog. (Poor kid).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ArizonaDaze
Dec 31 2008, 12:21 PM
Gee guys, just because I speculated that the surgery would cure Theo of autism doesn't mean that is what will happen. Or that it should happen. The only way that it could work would be that Theo wasn't autistic in the first place. After all, super doc Dan didn't diagnose him in the first place so it could be just a misdiagnosis.
I know that is what you meant. I think some are just so disillusioned they actually think that could happen LOL.

I don't see it though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2008, 12:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
DrewHamilton
PhoenixRising05

You know, originally I believed this, but my feelings are now (and they might be totally biased) that Dena probably has no problem with this storyline because she has no problem making a big deal about it WITH her grown son on her blog. If they did make her do this storyline and she claims she wasn't comfortable with it, I cry foul. She has no qualms about using her son's issues in her blog. (Poor kid).
Maybe she isn't now. I can buy that but my feeling is she was at the start because the most uncomfortable stuff has to be discovering your child has autism and I think that part had to emotionally effect her. I think once the story went on further, she probably became at ease with it. It barely gets airtime now so who knows but my sense is she had difficulty with it early on and that, along with Ed Scott, played a role in the haphazard beginning of the story.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Dec 31 2008, 02:59 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2008, 12:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
DrewHamilton
PhoenixRising05

Maybe she isn't now. I can buy that but my feeling is she was at the start because the most uncomfortable stuff has to be discovering your child has autism and I think that part had to emotionally effect her. I think once the story went on further, she probably became at ease with it. It barely gets airtime now so who knows but my sense is she had difficulty with it early on and that, along with Ed Scott, played a role in the haphazard beginning of the story.
I don't buy that for a minute.

Mason
Member Avatar

Whether or not the story was Higley's idea is irrelevant. Either way, she's still responsible for the way it plays out. And considering how it has played out, it doesn't reflect particularly well on her (not that her writing ever does).

allane_90
Member Avatar

thanks

ges
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Dec 31 2008, 12:49 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 30 2008, 10:15 PM
While the story was not Dena's idea, I do think it is sort of her story and if it was trashed, that would be a sure sign that she will be gone soon.
Wait a minute. The autism storyline wasn't Dena's? How do you know this? I don't recall Higley coming out, one time, and saying that she was forced to write this story. Actually, I've read the opposite. She was praising writing this storyline because it was so dear and near to her heart because of her own children. But now she was supposedly forced?
She has made both claims. Once that it was her idea and in one interview she said it was presented to her.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply