Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Storyline info from Sandra Robinson on BWR!
Topic Started: Dec 18 2008, 01:05 AM (5,125 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Not sure about Sami as the heroine. They haven't sold that to me yet and I don't think they can LOL.

I agree with Mason. Hogan made Belle into the perfect heroine. She was on pace to be the next Marlena and could fill Marlena's place in a way when she leaves.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sami will never be a heroine.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jiggs
Dec 19 2008, 03:49 AM
You mean should never. Clearly, that is not stopping the writers from trying to make us believe she is.
Quote Post Goto Top

e83talus
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 19 2008, 03:48 AM
Not sure about Sami as the heroine. They haven't sold that to me yet and I don't think they can LOL.

I agree with Mason. Hogan made Belle into the perfect heroine. She was on pace to be the next Marlena and could fill Marlena's place in a way when she leaves.
I agree with the Belle assessment. She is sorely missing.

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Dec 19 2008, 03:22 AM
If you keep setting yourself up to hate things before they happen, then you'll hate it! Haha.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five hundred eighty six times, shame on me.

I know better than to think that I'll enjoy anything Higley writes.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 19 2008, 03:44 AM
King
Dec 19 2008, 03:42 AM
Well, the show has a heroine...they're just writing her horribly....Sami. haha.
The day Sami is the show's heroine...
LMAO! So true.

King
Member Avatar

I definitely think Sami CAN be the heroine. They did it with Julie!

Obviously Hogan, Corday, and Higley have fucked that up.

But it was definitely the intention, and it could have been done.

Everyone was so excited when we first read Hoagie's first official fall preview for that first fall he took over when it came to his blurb about Sami and Lucas. It was clear they were going in a different direction that could have been a good path because it was/is time for Sami and Sweeney to step up and bring the character to the next level.

But it went horribly, horribly wrong.
Edited by King, Dec 19 2008, 04:25 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Dec 19 2008, 04:21 AM

Alison Sweeney doesn't have the chops to pull off "heroine," IMO. Heroin addict maybe, but not heroine, LoL. We've tried "Sami the good girl" numerous times -- even back in 1997 -- and it has sucked each and every time. Ali herself said that good Sami = boring Sami.

The writers can have every intention they want at making her the show's lead heroine, but it just won't work. The audience won't accept it. I've said many times in the past that Alison Sweeney isn't a great actress, she's just great in this particular role, and that's because this is/was the role of a bad girl. She can't pull off heroine/sweetheart, IMO.

Mason
Member Avatar

King
Under MUCH different circumstances, not the least of which being that SSH was/is leagues above Ali in the acting department.
Edited by Mason, Dec 19 2008, 04:38 AM.

hops
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 19 2008, 04:10 AM
King
Dec 19 2008, 03:22 AM
If you keep setting yourself up to hate things before they happen, then you'll hate it! Haha.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five hundred eighty six times, shame on me.

I know better than to think that I'll enjoy anything Higley writes.
Again.... :hail:

Days can surprise me if they want to, but I'll believe it when I see it this time. And this whole thing with Dr. Taylor..... again there is no need to bring someone else's life into the picture at this point and take all the focus away from J&M, it's distracting and frankly annoys me, lol. J&M are leaving in a few weeks anyway. Why not just finally give the fans of J&M what they want and the show has been promising. Oh, that's right....Days doesn't know how to write a love story between two people, it's to much of a challenge.

hops
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 19 2008, 04:34 AM
King
Under MUCH different circumstances, not the least of which being that SSH was/is leagues above Ali in the acting department.
I totally agree on all points.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Amello
Dec 19 2008, 03:51 AM
Jiggs
You mean should never. Clearly, that is not stopping the writers from trying to make us believe she is.
LOL, yea I mean should never, will never, can't ever, no matter how they try to write her. The actress just cannot pull it off.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 19 2008, 04:30 AM
King

Alison Sweeney doesn't have the chops to pull off "heroine," IMO. Heroin addict maybe, but not heroine, LoL. We've tried "Sami the good girl" numerous times -- even back in 1997 -- and it has sucked each and every time. Ali herself said that good Sami = boring Sami.

The writers can have every intention they want at making her the show's lead heroine, but it just won't work. The audience won't accept it. I've said many times in the past that Alison Sweeney isn't a great actress, she's just great in this particular role, and that's because this is/was the role of a bad girl. She can't pull off heroine/sweetheart, IMO.
I disagree with Alison about good Sami = boring Sami. It has nothing to do with her being boring. It's the fact that AS cannot portray a heroine. To be a heroine you need grace and poise and the kind of inner calm and understated glamour, and she just doesn't have it. She can't control her loudness she carries herself with the thunder of a bull in a china shop. You could do it with Rachel on AW and Julie on Days because those actresses knew how to become a heroine, and could tone it down. AS just can't do it, and she never will be able to.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Dec 19 2008, 03:38 AM
King
Dec 19 2008, 03:35 AM
Where have I been? I dunno...not watching DAYS so not in the DAYS threads! haha.
Well, obviously LOL.

It's nice to see someone point out the good and the bad.

I do see why people are miffed about Charlotte. I'm more pissed they put Sandra in this awkward position but you are right. Until we see their exit we have no idea, really.
What I'm still trying to figure out is how people who haven't been watching it can judge one way or another how it's been doing. It does seem like poor Sondra has been put in an awkward position and that it's wrong to push one new character in to shove off characters who have been around for a while, but i will also agree that much of the acting of J&M hasn't been up to par. But, I know several of the people bitching and complaining and giving negative comments about the show have also mentioned (not only here, but other places-that's where i get several) that they quit watching a long time ago. Or they only watch for one couple. HOW can you judge something you haven't witnessed? This negativity..........it's so sad. Now those of you who have watched and are still negative, that's your perogative, LOL, but at least you've given it a chance. Heck, I've been pretty negative about it myself. BUT, I still watch before I comment about how bad it is. Or, if I haven't watched for a while, I'll say it SOUNDS like it's bad.

I also see that, for the most part, Higley is STILL getting the sole blame. She is not Wonder Writer by any stretch of the imagination, but why, why, why is Whitesell and Tomlin not mentioned? Corday is mentioned, but I don't even think he's mentioned as much as Higley.

Ah, well.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
Never say never. People never thought Dee Hall would get fired, either. Now, most likely, it won't happen. It COULD happen, if they had given Sami time off during Ali's maternity leave, then came up with fresh material for her. With a good writer and good direction, yeah, she could become a heroine. A heroine doesn't always have to be the favored daughter.

Mason
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 19 2008, 07:43 PM
I also see that, for the most part, Higley is STILL getting the sole blame. She is not Wonder Writer by any stretch of the imagination, but why, why, why is Whitesell and Tomlin not mentioned? Corday is mentioned, but I don't even think he's mentioned as much as Higley.
I wouldn't say Higley's getting the sole blame, but she's getting called out the most because she's the biggest hack of them all.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake

Ah, well.
See, that has been my problem.

Whitesell has been accused of being a hack before too LOL. I actually like Chris and Gary but I've seen them take it in the chin a few times and I'm shocked that no one has called either one of them out on the fact that the vets got backburnered the minute these two's work got onscreen. Say what you want about Higley but until those two hit, the vets were getting material, even if it was thought of as shitty. It just shocks me that Higley seems to be the only one taking the brunt of all this. I mean, Nelson's column said back in October that Corday gave over control to Higley, Whitesell, and Tomlin so blame all 3 or acknowledge them all. I don't mind bashing but focus on all parties involved LOL.

The one thing I can say is most people that do bash around here bash after they have at least viewed the show. Sometimes you will find people condemn spoilers a little too early but that doesn't bother me too much since some may already be down on the show. It does bug me when people bash a show they don't watch or barely watch but, thankfully, I don't see that much here on the DR at all.

King
Member Avatar

Has the theory been bandied about that Charlotte is Kristen?

e83talus
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 19 2008, 08:12 PM
ladyofthelake

Ah, well.
See, that has been my problem.

Whitesell has been accused of being a hack before too LOL. I actually like Chris and Gary but I've seen them take it in the chin a few times and I'm shocked that no one has called either one of them out on the fact that the vets got backburnered the minute these two's work got onscreen. Say what you want about Higley but until those two hit, the vets were getting material, even if it was thought of as shitty. It just shocks me that Higley seems to be the only one taking the brunt of all this. I mean, Nelson's column said back in October that Corday gave over control to Higley, Whitesell, and Tomlin so blame all 3 or acknowledge them all. I don't mind bashing but focus on all parties involved LOL.

The one thing I can say is most people that do bash around here bash after they have at least viewed the show. Sometimes you will find people condemn spoilers a little too early but that doesn't bother me too much since some may already be down on the show. It does bug me when people bash a show they don't watch or barely watch but, thankfully, I don't see that much here on the DR at all.
Thanks Pheonix for the DR support. I actually came to this board because people seemed more reasonable and honest in their post. SC posters are disrespectful to posters, instigators, and plain immature. That is found on this board but not the majority which I can tell you is such a welcome relief. I like to see others opinions even if I don't agree and I resepct those opinions.

I don't think a rule of posting should be you must watch every show, especially considering I have been with Days since 1986. I watched Days throught the summer of Sami saves the Brady's from the vend..., the killing of John Black, the return of John Black and the destruction of Marlena Evans. I finally gave up in May 2008 and I did not regret it. It was in protest but I felt like I could not take it anymore with the triangles that wewe J&M and Ava, Ejami and Lucas, Phloe became friends w/ benefits, and Stax and Dansea just turned me completely off. I came back when Stefano returned in July and stayed through August. I was interested in J&M (of course) Stefano, Kayla, Tony, Ana and yes even Ej and Sami. Then...nothing. They dropped those s/l's that interested me and never showed those charcters. I gave up again in September.

I think my longevity speaks for itself even if now it is off and on. It has become that way because of the displeasure with the show. My 22+ years should offer me some insight into the history and patterns of the show and an opinion about it. I will be quitting even my off and on watching after January 23, however I hope that I will be welcome on this board to read and comment on what watchers of Days are saying.

Mason
Member Avatar

King
Dec 19 2008, 08:27 PM
Has the theory been bandied about that Charlotte is Kristen?
Oh, I swear to God, if milquetoast Charlotte turns out to be Kristen...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply