Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Promo for wk of 12/22 - UPDATED
Topic Started: Dec 19 2008, 07:39 PM (3,858 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
Dec 21 2008, 08:10 PM
The problem with couples like Bo and Hope, John and Marlena, and Steve and Kayla, is that they have been written to be "soulmates," and how nothing can ever come between their special love. And that is fine for a movie like Titanic. There is a beginning and an end. But unless you are sold on one of those particular couples, there is absolutely no suspense or enjoyment for those of us who know they are going to be eventually reunited. Why bother watching if I know the ending? The writing for the John and Marlena story has been awful. I don't blame their fans for being upset about it. I don't think John should have ever come back. But since he did come back, it would have been interesting to think that maybe John and Marlena would NOT have gotten back together. John would forever be changed, and Marlena would have to accept that the man she loved was gone. They could have been paired with new people; had viable romances. You better believe that as soon as it appeared as though John and Marlena were NOT getting back together, that is when the most people would want them to reunite. Hell, if it really looked like that John had fallen in love with someone else, and that Marlena had truly moved on and found someone new, that is the moment when I would have remembered how special they were together and possibly rooted for their reunion.
I don't need that or want that. I still don't understand why couples must all break up and be with others to have a story. There are other ways to go. Or they are kept apart in different ways. This year, John was a different person. Maybe Marlena would have to go a little darker, something would happen, and she would need to make certain choices. Maybe they needed to work together to bring Stefano down, she would have conflict with that. It would affect her family. Maybe J&M would pretend to divorce but the audience knew they were working together. There are so many different things they could do. I don't think a third party is always needed. Who says adventures have to end? Life is different every day. Suspense to me is not about will this person love this person or not. The suspense is in, can they overcome this obstacle....the conflict is in the story. We will have to agree to disagree, lol. I just don't enjoy couples always moving on. It bores me. I like to be emotionally involved. I don't need to see them fall in love with anyone else.

If there had to be some kind of third party, for John and Marlena at this point and with the story as it had been set up, or could have been set up....after John had 'died', Marlena could have been the one to marry Stefano (no sex) to save her family. John comes back, and she has to protect him and maybe he still has amnesia, and Stefano prevents her from telling him who she is, but they spend time together and fall in love. Maybe John really is Roman and this 'Roman' in Salem right now, was a 'pawn'. There are so many ways they could have gone. There was story there. I know so many people who had some great ideas last January of where this story could have gone. But for some reason, TPTB (whoever) just didn't want to go there.
Edited by hops, Dec 21 2008, 08:43 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
The problem with couples like Bo and Hope, John and Marlena, and Steve and Kayla, is that they have been written to be "soulmates," and how nothing can ever come between their special love. And that is fine for a movie like Titanic. There is a beginning and an end. But unless you are sold on one of those particular couples, there is absolutely no suspense or enjoyment for those of us who know they are going to be eventually reunited. Why bother watching if I know the ending? The writing for the John and Marlena story has been awful. I don't blame their fans for being upset about it. I don't think John should have ever come back. But since he did come back, it would have been interesting to think that maybe John and Marlena would NOT have gotten back together. John would forever be changed, and Marlena would have to accept that the man she loved was gone. They could have been paired with new people; had viable romances. You better believe that as soon as it appeared as though John and Marlena were NOT getting back together, that is when the most people would want them to reunite. Hell, if it really looked like that John had fallen in love with someone else, and that Marlena had truly moved on and found someone new, that is the moment when I would have remembered how special they were together and possibly rooted for their reunion.
To be honest, if they would pair Marlena up with a new man I would rather have seen that John remained dead. Bringing him back ruined the great story we saw at this time last year.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Dec 21 2008, 09:00 PM
Mikegoldy
To be honest, if they would pair Marlena up with a new man I would rather have seen that John remained dead. Bringing him back ruined the great story we saw at this time last year.
Totally agree with you there. John should never have come back.

Kyrai

hops
Dec 21 2008, 08:34 PM
I don't need that or want that. I still don't understand why couples must all break up and be with others to have a story. There are other ways to go. Or they are kept apart in different ways. This year, John was a different person. Maybe Marlena would have to go a little darker, something would happen, and she would need to make certain choices. Maybe they needed to work together to bring Stefano down, she would have conflict with that. It would affect her family. Maybe J&M would pretend to divorce but the audience knew they were working together. There are so many different things they could do. I don't think a third party is always needed. Who says adventures have to end? Life is different every day. Suspense to me is not about will this person love this person or not. The suspense is in, can they overcome this obstacle....the conflict is in the story. We will have to agree to disagree, lol. I just don't enjoy couples always moving on. It bores me. I like to be emotionally involved. I don't need to see them fall in love with anyone else.

If there had to be some kind of third party, for John and Marlena at this point and with the story as it had been set up, or could have been set up....after John had 'died', Marlena could have been the one to marry Stefano (no sex) to save her family. John comes back, and she has to protect him and maybe he still has amnesia, and Stefano prevents her from telling him who she is, but they spend time together and fall in love. Maybe John really is Roman and this 'Roman' in Salem right now, was a 'pawn'. There are so many ways they could have gone. There was story there. I know so many people who had some great ideas last January of where this story could have gone. But for some reason, TPTB (whoever) just didn't want to go there.
I agree with you Hops. I just don't believe the only type of stories that can be told are triangles and new love. I think there is something very powerful about lasting love, trust, true friendship, family. I can see so much potential as well.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Mikegoldy

I just want to acknowledge one point you made because we can agree to disagree on the rest LOL.

That point is the suspense being in the conflict. Well, how can there be suspense when you know the couple will end up together? Conflict can't be suspenseful if you know the end result. That is why it doesn't work for these couples. There is no realistic threat because we know who they will end up with in the end as opposed to in the 80's or 90's when the unpredictability was there. The chance was that that Bo/Billie could win out or Marlena/Roman or whomever. The outcome was not known, especially with JER who was a risk taker. Sure, you knew who the rooting couple was but that didn't mean they would end up together. Now, you can't do that because the show is too scared to ever break the couples up and many fans won't embrace anything like that. The show could never stick with John/Isabella as long as they did back then in today's climate. They could never stick with Bo/Billie as long as they did today like they did then. That is what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying you need a third party but Days is a soap and it can't even realistically break up any of it's established couples to create stories for the characters. This show has sacrificed the characters for the sake of couples for too long. In the 80's and 90's you had the couples but there was more flexibility. The stories were driven by characters. not couples. Now people want romance and romantic adventures but what about character stories that perhaps will add conflict? How about Bo and Hope having work-related conflict? How about Marlena getting involved in a patient's issues and that causing conflict for her? Why bring back John and sacrifice Marlena as a character again when you could've played out her dealing with life after John and taking on Stefano alone? One story that was proposed was Marlena marrying Stefano so Sami didn't have to stay married to EJ. That could've been gold but they just had to bring John back.

It's the same pattern over and over and it's old and tired and unless you are a die-hard couple fan, you can't enjoy it. There is no suspense and, personally, I can't even see how a couple fan finds suspense when you know where they are going with the story. That is the issue. That won't bring ratings up. Who wants to watch stories where the outcome is obvious? That is why it doesn't work anymore and why a fresh canvas is needed to tell stories.

nukelove

Ok, everything actually looked pretty good. Except shouldn't this be a promo for next week when NYE is? Philip and Stephanie looked pretty hot, but why is Melanie staring at them when they're kissing? She is ALWAYS hanging around trying to make problems for Philip and Stephanie. She needs to find a man who actually knows she's alive instead of a guy who would rather stick his hand in a garbage disposal than sleep with her. Take the clue, Melanie! Nicole saying "Yes" to E.J.'s proposal was a total and complete shock!(sarcasm, of course)Congratulations,Nicole. You have now offically sunk to being lower than low for agreeing to marry a man who you are lying to about still carrying his child. And Congratulations,E.J.,for now being the stupidest man alive on Daytime for not knowing that Nicole is lying about said child. And the worst part is that E.J. probably won't find out about the baby for months to come, leaving us to watch this storyline go on and one for endless weeks to come. Let Nicole get caught and be left with no E.J. and no happyness. She does not deserve either if she thinks she can get away with hiding a miscarriage. Sorry for rant!

cjknick
Member Avatar

Quite frankly if the soap world is ok with breaking up Luke and Laura - they should be able to handle Days supercouples breaking up. I agree happy ever after stories should be off screen - there is no drama in happy ever after. Marlena at some point should have had a new love interest since John apparently was not receptive to her ... put Marlena with a younger man - Dr. Jonas could have been a suiter (instead of the perve he is now). They should have made John into a full fledged DiMera - rival to Stefano and have a true fight for the DiMera empire. Or as some suggested keep John dead and let Marlena battle it out with Stefano...when Marlena went to the DiMera mansion and she threatened Stefano as she dropped her coat and let it drag behind her I thought .... GAME ON - Bring it on Marlena and then all we got was Marlena putting Stefano in a coma for months - so it was really GAME OFF! What a missed opportunity!
Edited by cjknick, Dec 21 2008, 10:21 PM.

zyona

Max should not be kissing his niece Chelsea. I don't know what kind of message Dena is sending, i hope she is not telling her adopted son hoolio that it is ok to date his older sister since he is only adopted.

Mason
Member Avatar

Yes, that Nicole, faking a pregnancy. Wicked, wicked, wicked!

The female Satan of daytime!

What terrible thing will she do next? Drug and rape E.J.? Sell Johnny on the black market? Of course, St. Sami would never resort to those kinds of unspeakable acts.

Oh, wait...
Edited by Mason, Dec 21 2008, 10:49 PM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 21 2008, 10:01 PM
hops
Mikegoldy

I just want to acknowledge one point you made because we can agree to disagree on the rest LOL.

That point is the suspense being in the conflict. Well, how can there be suspense when you know the couple will end up together? Conflict can't be suspenseful if you know the end result. That is why it doesn't work for these couples. There is no realistic threat because we know who they will end up with in the end as opposed to in the 80's or 90's when the unpredictability was there. The chance was that that Bo/Billie could win out or Marlena/Roman or whomever. The outcome was not known, especially with JER who was a risk taker. Sure, you knew who the rooting couple was but that didn't mean they would end up together. Now, you can't do that because the show is too scared to ever break the couples up and many fans won't embrace anything like that. The show could never stick with John/Isabella as long as they did back then in today's climate. They could never stick with Bo/Billie as long as they did today like they did then. That is what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying you need a third party but Days is a soap and it can't even realistically break up any of it's established couples to create stories for the characters. This show has sacrificed the characters for the sake of couples for too long. In the 80's and 90's you had the couples but there was more flexibility. The stories were driven by characters. not couples. Now people want romance and romantic adventures but what about character stories that perhaps will add conflict? How about Bo and Hope having work-related conflict? How about Marlena getting involved in a patient's issues and that causing conflict for her? Why bring back John and sacrifice Marlena as a character again when you could've played out her dealing with life after John and taking on Stefano alone? One story that was proposed was Marlena marrying Stefano so Sami didn't have to stay married to EJ. That could've been gold but they just had to bring John back.

It's the same pattern over and over and it's old and tired and unless you are a die-hard couple fan, you can't enjoy it. There is no suspense and, personally, I can't even see how a couple fan finds suspense when you know where they are going with the story. That is the issue. That won't bring ratings up. Who wants to watch stories where the outcome is obvious? That is why it doesn't work anymore and why a fresh canvas is needed to tell stories.
It seems to me what fans want for their "supercouples," are only stories where it is 100% guaranteed that they are completely in love and will end up together in the end. I could enjoy stories where the established couples stay together, but I'm tired of the same hackneyed story of the super villian coming between the couple; the couple going on some adventure together, or the couple having to pretend they are broken up in order to get the goods on the villian. If that's the only story that can be told, we have a problem. As a 12 year old, I really loved supercouples and all of their adventures. As a 33 year old, I want some legitimate conflict. As much as people hate the insta-couplings going on right now, I hate just as much the supposed "soulmate connections," of these couples. And because of that connection, Marlena would only do THIS, Kayla would only do THAT! It's enough to make me :puke:

There can never be any growth with these characters because their personality is based on how much they love their partner. If they deviate in anyway from that, the couple is being destroyed. I don't see how any real story can develop then.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mikegoldy
Dec 21 2008, 11:45 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 21 2008, 10:01 PM
hops
Mikegoldy

It seems to me what fans want for their "supercouples," are only stories where it is 100% guaranteed that they are completely in love and will end up together in the end. I could enjoy stories where the established couples stay together, but I'm tired of the same hackneyed story of the super villian coming between the couple; the couple going on some adventure together, or the couple having to pretend they are broken up in order to get the goods on the villian. If that's the only story that can be told, we have a problem. As a 12 year old, I really loved supercouples and all of their adventures. As a 33 year old, I want some legitimate conflict. As much as people hate the insta-couplings going on right now, I hate just as much the supposed "soulmate connections," of these couples. And because of that connection, Marlena would only do THIS, Kayla would only do THAT! It's enough to make me :puke:

There can never be any growth with these characters because their personality is based on how much they love their partner. If they deviate in anyway from that, the couple is being destroyed. I don't see how any real story can develop then.
EXACTLY.

Again, you hit the nail right on the head. This is why I've said for years that I sympathize with the HW of Days, whoever it is. They are literally boxed in and it's why it won't matter who writes the show. Between the issues we are discussing and Corday, we will continue to go around in this endless circle. Now there is hope that it will stop with the show making a radical change in focus. I hope it does work and I hope they stick to it because I really do think it's for the best on a number of levels.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Just found this and it seems to be the promo for this week:

http://www.nbc.com/Days_of_our_Lives/video/clips/weekly-preview-122208/897022/

I like it. I've always loved Nadia's voice and color me shocked that J&M are actually at the Horton's on Christmas. I think that is the first time since 2001. Hell, your lucky if J&M are even in the Christmas episode in recent years. Looks like a classic, Days Christmas :biggrin: .

The site still seems to be having issues too as on the show's main page it still has the promo for the wk of 12/15 LOL. They clearly are having issues. :laugh: The promo that was posted on Friday is gone now so they clearly got the message LOL.

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 22 2008, 04:07 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Thanks, PR! Looks awesome! We have Hope and Julie hanging the ornaments and the story at the hospital, and couples in love.
Just looks at a great Christmas epi!

Is this where John sees the Christmas tradition and runs to Dr. Taylor because he wants his memory back?

Mason
Member Avatar

Looks nice. I could do without Rafe/Sami, but otherwise, it looks good.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Alligato
Dec 22 2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks, PR! Looks awesome! We have Hope and Julie hanging the ornaments and the story at the hospital, and couples in love.
Just looks at a great Christmas epi!

Is this where John sees the Christmas tradition and runs to Dr. Taylor because he wants his memory back?
According to SOW, John decides he has to remember his past on Wednesday so I would think so.

It seems the ornaments happen on Wednesday and the hospital stuff on Thursday. The miracle is Bo finding Theo and it happens after the ornament hanging. Peter Reckell is interviewed in SOW and SOD about it and apparently the crew got a little teary-eyed LOL.

Ellie

Thanks Tim! I'll add that to the first post too. :smile:

ETA - The other promo is no longer available. The first post in the thread has been updated.

Kyrai

Mikegoldy
Dec 21 2008, 11:45 PM

I agree to disagree as well.

I find the never ending partner swapping and triangles that the show has become much more boring and trivial than other stories. I dont' need a 'breakup' and put back together period, that just appears to be all these writers know (and imo, they don't do it well).

I enjoy seeing a couple work together. It just doesn't have to be a break up story for me period. I like diversity. I can watch the younger couples find their soulmate, and enjoy the vets enjoying their love while doing other things, like Marlena following her cases, John as an executive at Basic Black, helping out a family member in trouble, helping out a young couple in love. I would have liked to have seen John and Marlena following up on Brady's drug addiction story, someone from Steve's missing years showing up, Doug and Julie missing and Bo and Hope going to find them with family helping. Shawn and Belle working and having business issues, needing some family support. Any number of things that could be good stories or even just wonderful framework for stories. I loved Ej and Sami living at the Dimera mansion this year. The interaction between John, Marlena, Ej, Sami, later Stefano, Tony, Anna was very enjoyable. I loved Claire's relationship with John. These relationships by themselves have meaning to me, far more enjoyable than random elevator sex scenes.

People like different things. I enjoy romance, but couples just switching partners is not romance to me, and I like a change of pace as well. I wouldn't even classify most of the current 'stories' as a Harlequin romance, but if I did, why does every story have to be a Harlequin romance? I don't read the same type of books over and over. I switch things up to keep it interesting. I like mysteries, sci fi, and action/adventure. In addition to young couples falling in love, is it so bad to have happily married couples in a different type of story? It's not about the characters being a couple. It's about the individual having lives in general with close family and friends.
Edited by Kyrai, Dec 22 2008, 05:03 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

The new promo looks good, maybe we will get a good christmas after all.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I get what your saying in this thread and the Sandra thread, Kyrai,(basically, this post is a response to your comments here and in this thread so I can save on typing LOL) but here is the problem.

Days has alot of division amongst fans. You have fans of different types of storytelling (campy, character-driven, plot-driven, etc.) and then you have fans with different likes and dislikes in terms of who they want to watch and what stories they like. Now, let's say the show opts to go with the majority of couple fans who want romance and romantic adventures. Then you anger people that want other stories and find those stories boring. Let's say they go with the whole "watch the couple fall in love all over again) story (like J&M was set up to be). Well, J&M fans and fans of romance may eat that up but others may not because they know the outcome. There is no suspense in that.

Now, let's say the show decides to go with more individual character-centered stories, some of which you suggested. Marlena's profession, John's career, etc. Well, you have some out that find social issue stories, business stories, etc boring. Then you have some couple fans who will complain their couple doesn't have enough romance coming their way so there are still angry fans. Happily married couples are very hard to write for because people do find them boring, at least outside of fans of that couple.

My point is your angering someone no matter which way you go in regards to the vets and storytelling. That is why I think the show feels it has to do what it's doing. They've done that before in the 80's and 90's. They felt they needed to inject new life into the show and now they have to again. I don't think they wouldn't gotten rid of J&M if not for the 40% cut but I do think we would've seen this same sort of transition. The show can't go with the same stories involving the same people forever, especially when you have an audience full of division and of people who want different things. The show is following a pattern it has followed before and I will never understand why it took them this long to go with it. It should've been done sooner but it's needed. Fans will be lost but it's the risk you have to take IMO. They lost fans before and banked on new fans and it worked. Doesn't mean it will this time but what do they have to lose? At the very least, they will have characters being prominently featured that people can watch in stories that have suspense to them, unless you don't care about the characters and then, well, you don't care LOL.

I see what your saying and I'm with you on alot of that but alot factors into this and sometimes you have to do something you don't necessarily want to do for the better of the show in the long run, even if it alienates alot of fans.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 22 2008, 05:29 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Dec 22 2008, 05:20 PM
The new promo looks good, maybe we will get a good christmas after all.
I agree. Finally, something to look forward to!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply