Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Promo for wk of 12/22 - UPDATED
Topic Started: Dec 19 2008, 07:39 PM (3,775 Views)
JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

I like the new one better.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

After seeing both promos it looks like christmas will be good but next week we're back to the same old crap.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Dec 22 2008, 05:25 PM
^I get what your saying in this thread and the Sandra thread, Kyrai,(basically, this post is a response to your comments here and in this thread so I can save on typing LOL) but here is the problem.

Days has alot of division amongst fans. You have fans of different types of storytelling (campy, character-driven, plot-driven, etc.) and then you have fans with different likes and dislikes in terms of who they want to watch and what stories they like. Now, let's say the show opts to go with the majority of couple fans who want romance and romantic adventures. Then you anger people that want other stories and find those stories boring. Let's say they go with the whole "watch the couple fall in love all over again) story (like J&M was set up to be). Well, J&M fans and fans of romance may eat that up but others may not because they know the outcome. There is no suspense in that.

Now, let's say the show decides to go with more individual character-centered stories, some of which you suggested. Marlena's profession, John's career, etc. Well, you have some out that find social issue stories, business stories, etc boring. Then you have some couple fans who will complain their couple doesn't have enough romance coming their way so there are still angry fans. Happily married couples are very hard to write for because people do find them boring, at least outside of fans of that couple.

My point is your angering someone no matter which way you go in regards to the vets and storytelling. That is why I think the show feels it has to do what it's doing. They've done that before in the 80's and 90's. They felt they needed to inject new life into the show and now they have to again. I don't think they wouldn't gotten rid of J&M if not for the 40% cut but I do think we would've seen this same sort of transition. The show can't go with the same stories involving the same people forever, especially when you have an audience full of division and of people who want different things. The show is following a pattern it has followed before and I will never understand why it took them this long to go with it. It should've been done sooner but it's needed. Fans will be lost but it's the risk you have to take IMO. They lost fans before and banked on new fans and it worked. Doesn't mean it will this time but what do they have to lose? At the very least, they will have characters being prominently featured that people can watch in stories that have suspense to them, unless you don't care about the characters and then, well, you don't care LOL.

I see what your saying and I'm with you on alot of that but alot factors into this and sometimes you have to do something you don't necessarily want to do for the better of the show in the long run, even if it alienates alot of fans.
I feel like you misunderstood my point. I wasn't saying make all stories one way and centered on the vets. I was suggesting balance. I think too much of the same kind of story whichever way you go can become boring. I believe using the framework of the seasoned characters helps create a way to relate to the newer characters vs. having to have everyone in some kind of triangle. Yes, I would like to see characters as individuals, but most definitely not for all vet characters to be showcased. I meant use more of what we have for story.

For example, imagine the writers wanting to bring in a new young doctor. He starts by having scenes with Kayla. She (and we) get to know him as he interacts with her at the hospital and runs into him at the pub, etc. We get curious about him. Kayla may want to play matchmaker, Steve resist. Steve could become friends with him, and we could see some guy stuff. Playing pool, fishing (I'd love to see all the men on a weekend fishing trip, Bo, Steve, Ej, Phillip, maybe even Vic - I doubt Stefano would go, lol), etc. Basically, we get to know and like (or dislike) him first, establish him, then we get to know more and more about him as he meets other young characters, and we see who we like him with. The same could be true for Bo and Hope and a new recruit at the station. If you're saying most people don't like to take the time to get to know characters or don't want younger characters interacting with the older ones or anything but a couple or triangle, then I concede your point.

Personally, I like relationships vs. couple, but it's fine if most don't nowadays. If everyone wants to get rid of the vets and focus on the younger kids, so be it. I just think this year was a particularly bad year for storytelling on the show in general to be throwing away vets solely based on story. They can be interesting and well used overall vs. everything geared to seeing how fast we can hook people up. I think even young people like the older characters in addition to young characters, and vice versa. Maybe that is just me, and the people I know, and we may be a tiny minority, but we may not be. Because you prefer it one way, and I another doesn't mean that either of us are right or wrong. We're just different. We haven't seen relationship storytelling in a while, so it's hard to tell if people would like it or hate it, imo.

I like young people. I just don't find much appealing about these particular young people as portrayed this year. By the same token, I don't automatically like any vet story. I'm not overly fond of the Bo story, atm, even though I love Bo. I'm willing to wait and see though, provided it ends by the 23rd, lol.

I've become acclimated to J&M leaving, but when they are blamed for poor storytelling, and then people start saying all the vets should go, then I have to agree to disagree.

Btw I like the new promo alot better too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I understand what your saying, Kyrai. I don't necessarily disagree.

All I'm saying is no one is saying all the vets should go. We are suggesting that it's time to stop relying on them like this is still the 80's or 90's. It's time to move on. Let them play supporting roles and maybe get a lead story here or there. It's what happened to the vets in the 90's and even some in the 90's. They were moved aside and it some point that has to happen. You can't play the same characters over and over again in the same types of stories. They don't have to fire all vets but I'm not against getting rid of say one couple (like they are J&M) and keeping some to be supporting players or to lead once in awhile. That is all I'm saying. they all had their time for over 20 years. I feel it's just time to move on. If it doesn't work, at least they can say they tried but I do think they have to try it. They've done it and done it successfully before.

And, again, no one is blaming J&M for poor storytelling. There are a number of reasons for what has happened to them. The writing, the acting, the execution, Corday, SOME fans (again, no one here so not accusing anyone), etc. It's a shame what has happened but I think giving them a rest and maybe bringing them back down the road if there is a story and the show feels it necessary could reinvigorate them in a way as well.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 22 2008, 05:00 PM
Mikegoldy
Dec 21 2008, 11:45 PM
It seems to me what fans want for their "supercouples," are only stories where it is 100% guaranteed that they are completely in love and will end up together in the end. I could enjoy stories where the established couples stay together, but I'm tired of the same hackneyed story of the super villian coming between the couple; the couple going on some adventure together, or the couple having to pretend they are broken up in order to get the goods on the villian. If that's the only story that can be told, we have a problem. As a 12 year old, I really loved supercouples and all of their adventures. As a 33 year old, I want some legitimate conflict. As much as people hate the insta-couplings going on right now, I hate just as much the supposed "soulmate connections," of these couples. And because of that connection, Marlena would only do THIS, Kayla would only do THAT! It's enough to make me :puke:

There can never be any growth with these characters because their personality is based on how much they love their partner. If they deviate in anyway from that, the couple is being destroyed. I don't see how any real story can develop then.
I agree to disagree as well.

I find the never ending partner swapping and triangles that the show has become much more boring and trivial than other stories. I dont' need a 'breakup' and put back together period, that just appears to be all these writers know (and imo, they don't do it well).

I enjoy seeing a couple work together. It just doesn't have to be a break up story for me period. I like diversity. I can watch the younger couples find their soulmate, and enjoy the vets enjoying their love while doing other things, like Marlena following her cases, John as an executive at Basic Black, helping out a family member in trouble, helping out a young couple in love. I would have liked to have seen John and Marlena following up on Brady's drug addiction story, someone from Steve's missing years showing up, Doug and Julie missing and Bo and Hope going to find them with family helping. Shawn and Belle working and having business issues, needing some family support. Any number of things that could be good stories or even just wonderful framework for stories. I loved Ej and Sami living at the Dimera mansion this year. The interaction between John, Marlena, Ej, Sami, later Stefano, Tony, Anna was very enjoyable. I loved Claire's relationship with John. These relationships by themselves have meaning to me, far more enjoyable than random elevator sex scenes.

People like different things. I enjoy romance, but couples just switching partners is not romance to me, and I like a change of pace as well. I wouldn't even classify most of the current 'stories' as a Harlequin romance, but if I did, why does every story have to be a Harlequin romance? I don't read the same type of books over and over. I switch things up to keep it interesting. I like mysteries, sci fi, and action/adventure. In addition to young couples falling in love, is it so bad to have happily married couples in a different type of story? It's not about the characters being a couple. It's about the individual having lives in general with close family and friends.
Ultimately, I don't have a problem with a couple like John and Marlena staying together for the long haul. I would love to see Marlena working with patients, or John as a business executive. I just have trouble with a couple nearing their 60's in action adventure stories and talking about their "soulmate connection." I find nothing interesting in seeing a man presumed dead again, brainwashed again, and then acting like a zombie who needs to be saved by Marlena and her "love." We all like different things, that is what makes the world go around. As a viewer though, it's just hard for me to take John and Marlena seriously anymore because all of the awful stories written for them. I loved Drake as Roman back in the day, and Deidre Hall is Deidre Hall :) It's just a shame it has gotten to a point where their characters have been made into a joke and written so out of character.

Tammy
Member Avatar

The highlight of seeing that video was seeing Julie lmao. I love her with silver/gray hair.

Ellie

Tammy
Dec 22 2008, 11:13 PM
The highlight of seeing that video was seeing Julie lmao. I love her with silver/gray hair.
hahaha I didn't want to write about that, but since you brought it up - I hated her hair!! When the camera panned by her, I thought, oh no, what did she do to her hair?? (But I agree, I love seeing Julie all the same!)

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Dec 22 2008, 07:37 PM
^I understand what your saying, Kyrai. I don't necessarily disagree.

All I'm saying is no one is saying all the vets should go. We are suggesting that it's time to stop relying on them like this is still the 80's or 90's. It's time to move on. Let them play supporting roles and maybe get a lead story here or there. It's what happened to the vets in the 90's and even some in the 90's. They were moved aside and it some point that has to happen. You can't play the same characters over and over again in the same types of stories. They don't have to fire all vets but I'm not against getting rid of say one couple (like they are J&M) and keeping some to be supporting players or to lead once in awhile. That is all I'm saying. they all had their time for over 20 years. I feel it's just time to move on. If it doesn't work, at least they can say they tried but I do think they have to try it. They've done it and done it successfully before.

And, again, no one is blaming J&M for poor storytelling. There are a number of reasons for what has happened to them. The writing, the acting, the execution, Corday, SOME fans (again, no one here so not accusing anyone), etc. It's a shame what has happened but I think giving them a rest and maybe bringing them back down the road if there is a story and the show feels it necessary could reinvigorate them in a way as well.
Sorry PR. I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you or anyone. I was just responding to the comments that the stories for soulmates are not interesting and boring. When you said tptb can't please everyone and they need to move on with new couples, I thought you were agreeing that the vets in general should be phased out and J&M were the first step in the right direction.

I wanted to point out that not everyone feels that way. I don't think anyone really knows what the majority wants, and we're not seeing everything that could be, so it's hard to judge, imo. By the same token, I can't say tptb aren't right and new blood will save the show. Only time will tell.

Kyrai

Mikegoldy
Dec 22 2008, 08:14 PM
Ultimately, I don't have a problem with a couple like John and Marlena staying together for the long haul. I would love to see Marlena working with patients, or John as a business executive. I just have trouble with a couple nearing their 60's in action adventure stories and talking about their "soulmate connection." I find nothing interesting in seeing a man presumed dead again, brainwashed again, and then acting like a zombie who needs to be saved by Marlena and her "love." We all like different things, that is what makes the world go around. As a viewer though, it's just hard for me to take John and Marlena seriously anymore because all of the awful stories written for them. I loved Drake as Roman back in the day, and Deidre Hall is Deidre Hall :) It's just a shame it has gotten to a point where their characters have been made into a joke and written so out of character.
I do agree the writing is awful. However, I did enjoy new John, as I've always loved changes to him, and I do think their story this year should have been great. I always loved John's backstory with Stefano, but I also like the idea of regular stories too. Much as I love John, I still hate that he isn't really Roman. I guess that's my problem. I've always handled most anything they've done to him except get rid of him, and now him and Marlena.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you don't ultimately have it in for all of us old fogeys. :) I don't agree that they are a joke, but I do agree the writers this year made most every story a bad joke, including theirs.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 22 2008, 11:29 PM
Tammy
Dec 22 2008, 11:13 PM
hahaha I didn't want to write about that, but since you brought it up - I hated her hair!! When the camera panned by her, I thought, oh no, what did she do to her hair?? (But I agree, I love seeing Julie all the same!)
I dont know what it is with me but I LOVE silver hair lmfao... on some people ;)

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I love that promo. I love it when Chloe sings. Nadia Bjorlin has such an amazing voice. Everything fit well together for the promo and despite nothing major being promoted, it looks great. I'm looking forward to DAYS this week.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Dec 22 2008, 05:49 PM
After seeing both promos it looks like christmas will be good but next week we're back to the same old crap.
LoL, but of course!

The Christmas promo actually looks good, minus Rafe/Sami and Chloe singing through the entire thing. Gag!

cjknick
Member Avatar

It is sad that Alice is not there ...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply