Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Cover; January 6th issue
Topic Started: Dec 23 2008, 05:44 PM (3,161 Views)
Tammy
Member Avatar

ginababe
Dec 23 2008, 05:44 PM
Days: John & Marlena Get Married!
Totally wasn't expecting that lol.

I am glad they get married before they leave. I don't really expect it to be anything big because this is wedding # what, 387 for J&M lmao. But seriously I dont expect any big hoopla. I bet if it is done on screen it will be just the two of them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 23 2008, 08:07 PM
Tim, to reply to what you said a few posts up: For one thing, you said in your post that J&M leave town to get away from it all, while Sandra Robinson said that J&M leave town because of her. Those two things seem to contradict each other, which is part of what I was pointing out in my post.
She said she facilitates her exit. She didn't say they leave town because of her. I think she meant she was the catalyst to the story.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 23 2008, 08:46 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 23 2008, 07:42 PM
Honestly, people. Do you really think Days will be that bad about it?
Based on the crappy writing for them up to this point, absolutely, I do. It seems pretty clear Higley, Tomlin, etc. aren't interested in writing good material for J&M, and just want to get them off the show with as little effort as possible.
I acknowledged the writing for them sucks and that the exit will probable be rushed. What I was saying was I doubt the ceremony will be offscreen and I expect the actual CEREMONY to be worth a damn because I think Corday wants to try to offer an olive branch to J&M fans in hopes they will stick around and I'm sure he wants to try to promote it. I know it doesn't mean much but my point was the ceremony will probably be decent, at least.

I wasn't saying everything was going to be glorious before and after. It might be to me but I was most certainly wasn't trying to convince anyone else of that. Just saying I doubt the ceremony would be offscreen or half-assed. Before and after likely will be.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 23 2008, 10:35 PM
phloeishot
Dec 23 2008, 10:31 PM
The thing that sucks is that there's no build up to this wedding. Why does Jawn suddenly want to marry Marlena? What they should have done was have Jawn start to remember his life little by little and begin to connect with Marlena.
They should've done it that way, but of course it made too much sense.

Higley wants this exit to be as rushed and horribly written as possible.
And, again, is she the only one in control? No.

Three people control the show. If you want to pin it on Higley, pin it on them too. In fact, all roads point to Tomlin and Whitesell having a hell of alot more power then Higley now anyway.

I realize Higley is the most hated but fair is fair and those two are supervising all this too so they are just as much to blame.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 24 2008, 02:40 AM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 24 2008, 02:35 AM
Ellie
Tim, to reply to what you said a few posts up: For one thing, you said in your post that J&M leave town to get away from it all, while Sandra Robinson said that J&M leave town because of her. Those two things seem to contradict each other, which is part of what I was pointing out in my post.
She said she facilitates her exit. She didn't say they leave town because of her. I think she meant she was the catalyst to the story.
She said Charlotte "goes through one of these [bad] periods in order to let these two characters leave."

Now that I have time to get into this, lol, my issue with what you're saying about Corday is that you've posted many times that Corday interferes with the writing. I have no doubt he does, though perhaps you and I would disagree on the extent of his 'interference'. But at any rate, if, as you're saying, Corday wants to appease the J&M fanbase, then would he not have interfered once on our behalf in the past, oh, four-and-a-half years?? Since Marlena died on the prison rooftop in May 04, J&M have been destroyed over and over on screen. So I guess my question is, why would I think Corday would want to do something nice for J&M fans now? The past few years have been nothing but lip service from him, and I'm not sure why this time (after he's fired J&M!) would be any different.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 24 2008, 02:48 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 24 2008, 02:35 AM
Ellie
She said Charlotte "goes through one of these [bad] periods in order to let these two characters leave."

Now that I have time to get into this, lol, my issue with what you're saying about Corday is that you've posted many times that Corday interferes with the writing. I have no doubt he does, though perhaps you and I would disagree on the extent of his 'interference'. But at any rate, if, as you're saying, Corday wants to appease the J&M fanbase, then would he not have interfered once on our behalf in the past, oh, four and a half years?? Since Marlena died on the prison rooftop in May 04, J&M have been destroyed over and over on screen. So I guess my question is, why would I think Corday would want to do something nice for J&M fans now? The past few years have been nothing but lip service from him, and I'm not sure why this time (after he's fired J&M!) would be any different.
Because they are leaving (at least for some period of time) and he wants to try to convince fans to stay. He always does that. J&J got a nice sendoff. Shelle did. Austin/Carrie did. Their fans all got tossed little bones in some form. The exit stories were rushed and shoddy at best but there was always one event (wedding, moment, etc) that was well-done and done in such a way to extend an olive branch to fans. It's his way of trying to get them to hold on and to hope. It's stupid and never works IMO but it's his mindset and I've seen it too many times LOL.

Ellie

^^ Ok, I get that. So, two things: First, I think Corday might think he's fulfilled the 'olive branch' idea with his little comment about resting J&M. But if not, then as to your examples, I don't think Shelle got a proper sendoff in the SLIGHTEST, and guess who was the head writer then? So, it's entirely plausible to me that even if Corday does have good intentions (which I still doubt), Higley will handle J&M similar to how she handled Shelle, which is to say, terribly. In other words: in my mind, either Corday won't want to do a thing for J&M fans, OR, he will ask Higley to write in a nice sweet little scene or two, something I think she's completely incapable of doing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 24 2008, 03:02 AM
^^ Ok, I get that. So, two things: First, I think Corday might think he's fulfilled the 'olive branch' idea with his little comment about resting J&M. But if not, then as to your examples, I don't think Shelle got a proper sendoff in the SLIGHTEST, and guess who was the head writer then? So, it's entirely plausible to me that even if Corday does have good intentions (which I still doubt), Higley will handle J&M similar to how she handled Shelle, which is to say, terribly. In other words: in my mind, either Corday won't want to do a thing for J&M fans, OR, he will ask Higley to write in a nice sweet little scene or two, something I think she's completely incapable of doing.
Actually, Shelle's actual last few days sucked but they still got a nice, intimate "wedding" in the park. That is more or less what I was referring too and at least we saw alot of them, unlike J&M this far LOL. They also still got to say goodbye to everyone they should've. It was rushed and shoddy but it was something.

Also, Higley wasn't exactly HW. I think we all know she wrote during the strike but she did most of that through her husband and Victor G (who I actually liked LOL) so it wasn't exactly her. I think she just guided story and through out what was to be done and the guys filled it all in so I wouldn't blame Higley for the exit completely. Actually, personally, I don't at all since it was all Corday's idea to fire them in the first place.

Regardless, J&M are bigger and I think they will get a better treatment as far as the ceremony. The rest, who knows?

Ellie

Are we talking about the same Shelle?? Married in November, booted off the show in March, John bought them a boat and they left in one episode...?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 24 2008, 03:12 AM
Are we talking about the same Shelle?? Married in November, booted off the show in March, John bought them a boat and they left in one episode...?
Yes LOL.

Like I said, the end was rushed. The quad with Philip and Chloe got gutted but they still got to say goodbye to those they should've and still got a nice, intimate "wedding" in the park. My point is they got something FOR THEM and for their fans. No one interrupting. The focus was just on them. The rest may not have been good but there was indeed a diamond in the rough and that is what my point was regarding this J&M wedding. The rest may all be shit but the ceremony may be the diamond in the rough. We'll see. Just trying to maintain some hope based on the past LOL.

Ellie

^^ LOL ok, I'm tired and I thought, maybe he's totally talking about someone else. Shelle's wedding was four months before their exit, and BB and MM weren't fired then. So I'm not sure how you can use that as an example. But regarding their exit scene, they went around to a few people in Salem to tell them how excited they were to leave. If that's what D&D get, I'll be furious, but not surprised at all. That's what I'm saying, that I think that's all Higley's capable of in the way of 'exit' scenes, whether or not Corday has told her what to do.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I honestly dont know what Corday is gonna do when J&M leave... he wont be able to use them in his 987654 installment of "My Plan To Save DAYS" saga lmao :P

jules

Ellie
Dec 24 2008, 03:19 AM
^^ LOL ok, I'm tired and I thought, maybe he's totally talking about someone else. Shelle's wedding was four months before their exit, and BB and MM weren't fired then. So I'm not sure how you can use that as an example. But regarding their exit scene, they went around to a few people in Salem to tell them how excited they were to leave. If that's what D&D get, I'll be furious, but not surprised at all. That's what I'm saying, that I think that's all Higley's capable of in the way of 'exit' scenes, whether or not Corday has told her what to do.
I doubt they'll even get that. Im guessing a quickie wedding that we won't even see and then a scene with Brady telling him they are leaving Salem for some bogus reason.

daisysmommy

The wedding is a bummer cuz it suggests no return is planned...I can't get past thinking this is a necessary and temporary hoax, but maybe I will need to face up to no J&M ever again...a neat little bow (which will assuredly be hideously scripted by hack horror Higley) does not portend well for a couple...

At least I won't have to watch this endless train wreck once they go-- the ONLY silver lining.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Dec 24 2008, 03:19 AM
I remember the Thanksgiving wedding, but I sure don't remember this intimate park scene. I was just mad Martha was leaving, cause i was rooting for Phelle! :D

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Dr. Chip
Dec 23 2008, 07:22 PM
Max will invite Melanie to the wedding, and somehow the episode will revolve around her. I just know it.
LOL.

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Dec 24 2008, 08:44 AM
I remember the Thanksgiving wedding, but I sure don't remember this intimate park scene. I was just mad Martha was leaving, cause i was rooting for Phelle! :D
I liked her with Phillip too.

I didn't care for Shelle's exit at all. Belle was always so close to John and Marlena, and she just left when her dad needed her? Everything seemed rushed and phony. It didn't make sense that it was too painful for her to see her dad like he was. He could've been dead vs different. I hated Claire leaving. It felt like they left a glaring hole in the way they exited. With the whole John/Phillip dock wars that never went anywhere, how interesting would it have been to have Belle in the middle between her father and Phillip? I see 2008 as the year of missed opportunity after missed opportunity.

The only positives for the year I see for this year were:

Ari is a good actress and fun to watch. However, it makes me sad that the baby story just doesn't sit well with me (Not saying it can't, just that I don't feel that it's going anywhere yet).

Marlena was enjoyable as a strong person early. However, she changed to being indecisive and wishy washy due to awful writing.

It was refreshing and fun to have John with a new personality and a story where we want to recover the personality Stefano stole. However, the story just kept changing, never seemed to have any direction after the early months. He's still been fun and one of the high points of the year for me along with Nicole, but he's leaving.

Victor may possibly be used well again or at least pass on his wonderful villainous genes to Phillip (maybe Brady, but I see Phillip as more like Vic, Brady as more like John). I'm hopeful, or I'd be hopeful if I were staying. I'd so like Melanie to think she's manipulating Vic and have him turn the tables on her, get Nick's invention, and kick her to the curb. I love shrewd businessman Vic.

Stefano is back. Misused some during the year, but overall I love Stefano. Stefano and Victor are my favorite villains.

Oddly, when Melanie is low key, I enjoy her as an annoying interloper that I love to hate. If only Phillip and Stephanie would underplay things at work and save the low cut outfits and oggling for dates or business functions/parties where it is more appropriate to be exposed. It makes Phillip seem unprofessional, more interested in dating his employees than business. Probably just a me thing, but I'd like to see them as competent business professionals who grow to appreciate each other for more than just hotness. I like hotness, but when you always have your boobs hanging out, it kinda ruins the effect for those times you want it to be a special moment. (This goes for other characters as well).

I won't list the negatives because there are too many.

I prefer being optimistic and happily anticipating story twists, but it's just hard to anymore. I like unexpected twists and turns, but it has to feel like it was planned vs the writers thought for the day. I feel like the writers don't know what to do with the stories and are stalling for time. I always seem to think stories have potential that never seems to pan out. It's just hard to have that level of trust that they really do have a goal somewhere down the road.

Edited by Kyrai, Dec 24 2008, 10:18 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kyrai
Dec 24 2008, 10:11 AM
ladyofthelake
Dec 24 2008, 08:44 AM
I liked her with Phillip too.

I didn't care for Shelle's exit at all. Belle was always so close to John and Marlena, and she just left when her dad needed her? Everything seemed rushed and phony. It didn't make sense that it was too painful for her to see her dad like he was. He could've been dead vs different. I hated Claire leaving. It felt like they left a glaring hole in the way they exited. With the whole John/Phillip dock wars that never went anywhere, how interesting would it have been to have Belle in the middle between her father and Phillip? I see 2008 as the year of missed opportunity after missed opportunity.

The only positives for the year I see for this year were:

Ari is a good actress and fun to watch. However, it makes me sad that the baby story just doesn't sit well with me (Not saying it can't, just that I don't feel that it's going anywhere yet).

Marlena was enjoyable as a strong person early. However, she changed to being indecisive and wishy washy due to awful writing.

It was refreshing and fun to have John with a new personality and a story where we want to recover the personality Stefano stole. However, the story just kept changing, never seemed to have any direction after the early months. He's still been fun and one of the high points of the year for me along with Nicole, but he's leaving.

Victor may possibly be used well again or at least pass on his wonderful villainous genes to Phillip (maybe Brady, but I see Phillip as more like Vic, Brady as more like John). I'm hopeful, or I'd be hopeful if I were staying. I'd so like Melanie to think she's manipulating Vic and have him turn the tables on her, get Nick's invention, and kick her to the curb. I love shrewd businessman Vic.

Stefano is back. Misused some during the year, but overall I love Stefano. Stefano and Victor are my favorite villains.

Oddly, when Melanie is low key, I enjoy her as an annoying interloper that I love to hate. If only Phillip and Stephanie would underplay things at work and save the low cut outfits and oggling for dates or business functions/parties where it is more appropriate to be exposed. It makes Phillip seem unprofessional, more interested in dating his employees than business. Probably just a me thing, but I'd like to see them as competent business professionals who grow to appreciate each other for more than just hotness. I like hotness, but when you always have your boobs hanging out, it kinda ruins the effect for those times you want it to be a special moment. (This goes for other characters as well).

I won't list the negatives because there are too many.

I prefer being optimistic and happily anticipating story twists, but it's just hard to anymore. I like unexpected twists and turns, but it has to feel like it was planned vs the writers thought for the day. I feel like the writers don't know what to do with the stories and are stalling for time. I always seem to think stories have potential that never seems to pan out. It's just hard to have that level of trust that they really do have a goal somewhere down the road.

About the low-cut dresses....I think that might be a TV thing. I know that on One Life (yeah, I refer back to that a lot!), Natalie wore pretty low cut dresses at BE, too. Lexie used to wear those under her jacket at the hospital. Actually, I think some of the female docs on ER do, too. Not to mention Mariska Hargitay on Law and Order SVU, and Olivia Benson works around pervs all day! I don't know if that's a new style, or just TV pushing women's sexuality again. Although, i do know a couple of teachers I work with who shouldn't lean over......

King
Member Avatar

I think the J*M wedding will be on-screen, big, and elaborate, but will focus more on the mini-drama of the babyswitch and Mel/Phil/Steph at the wedding and the reception.

I think that is the most realistic prediction.

Like the episode in which John died. Big. Amazing. But ultimately, it pushed Sami to sign the divorce papers.
Edited by King, Dec 24 2008, 02:02 PM.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I think their Wedding will be like Carrie and Austin's final wedding....Wham, Bam, Thank you Mama, and See Ya!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply