Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Roseanne
Topic Started: Dec 23 2008, 10:53 PM (5,384 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Roseanne has to be on of the most realistic, gritty, and socially relevant sitcoms of its era, the first 8 seasons of course. I know at least one person in life who is life one of the main character's on this show. The show was about a deeply dysfunctional family that never solved any of their issues, kind of like how things happene in real life. It was such a departure from the sugary-sweet and corny family sitcoms of that era.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I love this show!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Seasons 5 and 6 had my favourite vesion of the opening credits.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

I floved Roseanne up until they won that damn lotto.

Kenny
Member Avatar

That opening makes me hungry for Chinese takeout!

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I didn't like Roseanne as much. It seemed a little too weird for me. Most of these sitcoms centered around loving families facing typical issues, while with the Conners, it was quite an usual family. More typical to the worldwide perhaps. I did start watching a little more in the later seasons when they focussed on Darlene and David. I liked those two together.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

^That's what I loved about the them. They looked and acted like a real lower middle-class family. They weren't super sweet and tender with one another, but they loved one another in their own special way. The smart ass one-liners Roseanne and Darlene had are among the most funniest dialogue ever created for a sitcom, IMO.

Scott
Member Avatar

Roseanne is amazing!!!! I loved the show...and I even loved the last few seasons too just not as much as the rest of the show.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Dec 25 2008, 04:19 PM
^That's what I loved about the them. They looked and acted like a real lower middle-class family. They weren't super sweet and tender with one another, but they loved one another in their own special way. The smart ass one-liners Roseanne and Darlene had are among the most funniest dialogue ever created for a sitcom, IMO.
They remind me of the Osbournes!

Scott
Member Avatar

minus all the hardcore drugs.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I've just started watching some of the later episdoes now, like when Darlene and David have a child. It feels like an entirely different show. They have all drastically matured, especially Roseanne.

Scott
Member Avatar

The last season wasn't that great imo but I did still like it.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Rosanne has to be one of my all-time favorite comedies. The Connors were showcased as such a real family. They weren't the most beautiful people. They didn't have money (until they won the lottery, which was a dream). They had everyday problems like real people, and unlike Full House, they didn't solve the problems at the end of each episode with the help of that corny music that always played when a problem was about to be fixed.

Early seasons were my favorite though, before Mark and David were introduced.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Jan 4 2009, 08:24 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Roseanne is my all time favorite. When it ended in 1997 I swore to myself I would never watch the final episode because as long as I never saw it end, it hadn't ended. Well I broke over when I bought the final season and I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time.

I never read anything about the finale and imagine my shock when during the last 10 minutes, I hear Roseanne's voiceover that the entire series was just a dream. In a way it's awesome, but also a little disappointing because there could never be a reunion movie since Dan is dead.

Edited by Rick, Jan 4 2009, 08:53 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Crap I thought I already posted in here. Fucking LOVE Roseanne. If ever I see a re-run I MUST watch. Personally, my favorite comedy EVER! I'm still sad over the death of Glenn Quinn during the time he was filming Angel.

Quote Post Goto Top

Scott
Member Avatar

I loved that her soliloquy made reference to how different her life and by default the show was. Her speech seemed to give strength and power to many women of that time. Roseanne really did speak to a generation of people. At the risk of sounding crazy...if I can raise my kids to be as good as the children on the show were portrayed then I'll be alright. Seriously I love this show lol

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

^ I don't think her parenting skills were really that good. But one awesome thing she had going for her that many parents don't is, she can talk freely to her kids. She's not hesitant about talking about certain topics around them, or swearing infront of them etc. It makes for a very open relationship.

Scott
Member Avatar

I had/have that kind of relationship with my mom. We always talked about everything growing up, from alcohol, to drugs, to sex and so on. She was always very open with how she talked and what we talked about. She never held back and I think that helped our relationship! Roseanne was definitely like that with her kids, imo.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I've always wanted a parental relationship like that Scott, but alas never had it. Its a very good thing to have. I think that itself made Roseanne a wonderful mother - she was a lot more aware of stuff going on in her children's lives as a result. I would say, my parents know 20% of what goes in my life at most.

Scott
Member Avatar

I hope that when I'm a parent I'm that way, open and honest with my children and capable of discussing anything.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply