Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Roseanne
Topic Started: Dec 23 2008, 10:53 PM (5,439 Views)
☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I know but that was just a mere technicality in the end. The prime story was focussed on as if it did occur.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

☼ Jinx ☼
Jul 14 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm really glad the writers did incorporate the lotto and seperation into their storyline, or else the show wouldn't have lasted as long as it did, IMO. Those two stories created a whole dimension for the show.
I completely disagree. The lotto was the jump the shark moment for the show IMO.

Deleted User
Deleted User

☼ Jinx ☼
Sep 12 2009, 08:03 PM
I know but that was just a mere technicality in the end. The prime story was focussed on as if it did occur.
Wow, I SO disagree, lol.

It's hardly a mere technicality when the show ends by Roseanne saying Dan died several years ago, Jackie was a lesbian (which means that nothing Jackie ever did prior to that point, on the show, ever happened), and that Darlene was never with David, but Mark, and Becky was never with mark but with David. The Conners never got rich and Roseanne is miserable, pretty much, except for the fact that she finds solace in her writing .Those are big changes that can't be easily undone. Unless, if the show returned to the airwaves, they undid THAT, lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

JERSoapsFan
Sep 22 2009, 02:25 AM
☼ Jinx ☼
Sep 12 2009, 08:03 PM
Wow, I SO disagree, lol.

It's hardly a mere technicality when the show ends by Roseanne saying Dan died several years ago, Jackie was a lesbian (which means that nothing Jackie ever did prior to that point, on the show, ever happened), and that Darlene was never with David, but Mark, and Becky was never with mark but with David. The Conners never got rich and Roseanne is miserable, pretty much, except for the fact that she finds solace in her writing .Those are big changes that can't be easily undone. Unless, if the show returned to the airwaves, they undid THAT, lol.
:lol: Looks like someone else caught the last episode last night on TVLand. ;)

Deleted User
Deleted User

You know it, juniorz! BIG Roseanne fan! But it makes watching the reruns bittersweet, if not painfully difficult, to see the GROUNDBREAKING Jackie/Fisher episodes (the first time, as a virginal child, I was EVER exposed to domestic violence--shocking and educational stuff~!!) NEVER happened! Jackie NEVER dated Fisher! She was GAY.

How's that for a killjoy? :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Gina
Member Avatar

I still watch the show every night, have loved it since the first episode.Have always felt they were a down to earth low-income family like so many of us.That's what made it so believable.No one lives like 'The Wally and the Beaver' anymore. Plus June and Ward Celver were sickeningly squeaky clean. Boys these days don't wear suits anymore. I recall the episode when Walley wanted to buy his own suit (Just isn't happening now). Jeans and T-shirts, jeans so long, their butt cracks are in view. I just want to saying to them :PULL UP YOUR PANTS...or GET A BELT!!!
June's whtie pearl necklace was worn on every episode.
That's what I loved about Roseanne, often her hair was a mess, or she wore no makeup at all. I always felt at home when I watched them in their home interacting. Darlene was a pistol. Loved those episodes when she was into Goth., and toward the dark period of her life. Loved the clips posted. One of my fav. was when Dan Roseanne and Jackie were smoking weed in the john. Roseanne kept saying to Dan: "Birds, birds, birds"...that still makes me laugh. Then when Jackie opened the shower drape she didt the funniest acting, I nearly split a gut.
Loved when all the women geneation surrounded David and Darlene's new baby when she was near death. I cried when she became healthy again.
There'll never be a show like it again.
I'm an older woman with 2 son's in their 30's and we've always been able to talk openly about anything...and it wouldn't change my love for them if they were gay or whatever they ventured to do it their lives.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

I still catch this show whenever I can. Darlene was probably my most favorite character right along with Roseanne. In season 9, (the final season I think) when they won the lotto, this show really hit the skids. But I'm thankful that they were given enough time for the series finale to be well written. That final episode always makes me cry. The Jeffersons were just cancelled and dropped without the benefit of a proper goodbye. I'm still pissed about that.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Yeah for any long running show they deserve a proper finale.

Roseanne is one of my all-time favorite shows ever. I can watch it over and over again and still laugh my ass off. Very well written and believable. Sometimes it was a stretch of the imagination but still very realistic for the time.

The last season was such a downer compared to the first several seasons. I think a lot of it had to do with Disney coming into ABC. I definitely feel Roseanne became more watered down as time went on, likely due to Disney's influence. They still got away with a lot but it was clearly a different show (the first five seasons maintain great writing and quality, IMO).

I also didn't really enjoy Sarah Chalke as Becky simply because they reduced the character to an empty headed blonde who basically made cameo appearances in each episode. Every once in a blue moon they would actually give Becky a storyline. What a waste.

I loved Darlene but felt they dragged on the bitchy goth portion of her for far too long. She was sometimes very unlikable.

LiZa
Member Avatar

Your exactly right KMan101. The original last episode was suppose to be Dan dying in the hospital. But Disney told ABC they didn't like, that the show couldn't end that way. So they ordered Rosanne to do a few more episodes at the last minute. She tried to refuse, but they threatened to sue her. So she came up with the win the lotto to piss of heads of the companies who were pushing her around long enough and ordering her to do more episodes, when the show was already done.
But she kind of got her way anyways with the last part of the last episode explaining what the lotto shows were about with Dan actually dying to the viewers.
Edited by LiZa, Feb 7 2011, 03:39 PM.

LPS
Member Avatar

I thought Roseanne was funny in the first few seasons, but the show really started to suck towards the end. I found Roseanne so unlikable. She just became a mean bitch without any redeeming qualities.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

this show is so funny. I love David and Darlene :) :) :)

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Hopefully it shows up now.

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: NewRoseannePic.jpg (81.2 KB)

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

That does not look like something Darlene would wear.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

the pic isn't showing

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar

It should show up now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply