Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Stephanie and Philip Smooch; Jan 6 issue, article summary
Topic Started: Dec 24 2008, 11:21 AM (3,888 Views)
SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

esp13
Dec 26 2008, 06:11 PM
Well, thus far, she appears to be able to go to the post office and pick up a package without needing Philip's support. I liked Morgan and Philip and Morgan right up until they made Morgan a simpering wimp who totally believed Philip was a wonderful guy despite the fact that her father (who she believed could do no wrong) warned her multiple times to stay away from him.

Thus far (and Lord knows it could change tomorrow), I like that Stephanie has been more confident lately and most of her interaction with Philip has been fun and banter-y. I really wish they would develop Stephanie's character further, but I hold no real hopes for that since the show doesn't seem to have any interest in developing anybody's character.
I could have gone more for this pairing if it weren't so "in your face this is who we're gonna go with" about it.

I prefer subtley being lead along, not hit over the head with it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

I actually totally agree. I've just given up expecting subtlety or well-crafted storylines from this show anymore. I like Stephanie and Philip and like the chemistry the actors have together, but I'd be the last person to pretend there aren't a gazillion ways the storyline could be put together a whole lot better. But, at this point, I'm looking for minimal things that can keep me interested in the show. Stephanie and Philip are, for now, one of those things.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Outside of her cute dimples and perky boobs, what exactly makes her different from Morgan?

Nothing. Plus, I'm pretty sure Morgan had those extra assets too. ;)

Not even remotely interested in Philip and Stephanie (I've disliked her since the SH recast). More tuning out for me, I guess.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Dec 26 2008, 06:11 PM
Well, thus far, she appears to be able to go to the post office and pick up a package without needing Philip's support. I liked Morgan and Philip and Morgan right up until they made Morgan a simpering wimp who totally believed Philip was a wonderful guy despite the fact that her father (who she believed could do no wrong) warned her multiple times to stay away from him.

Thus far (and Lord knows it could change tomorrow), I like that Stephanie has been more confident lately and most of her interaction with Philip has been fun and banter-y. I really wish they would develop Stephanie's character further, but I hold no real hopes for that since the show doesn't seem to have any interest in developing anybody's character.
Yeah, I'll agree with this. Again, I just don't think Days has the time to develop romances anymore.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sariah
Dec 26 2008, 06:50 PM
Quote:

Outside of her cute dimples and perky boobs, what exactly makes her different from Morgan?

Nothing. Plus, I'm pretty sure Morgan had those extra assets too. ;)

Not even remotely interested in Philip and Stephanie (I've disliked her since the SH recast). More tuning out for me, I guess.
Again, though, is it Stephanie or the fact that they're pairing her with Philip instead of Chloe?

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I like Stephanie fine. I couldn't stand Shayna Rose but I've liked Stephanie (or the potential of Stephanie, at least) since the recast. My problem is the buildup, even as delineated in this thread, is virtually non-existent. I still don't see why Philip likes Stephanie or vice versa other than that they're both hot. Now, if the actors had smoking hot chemistry together in my eyes, I could forgive that, but IMO, they simply don't. At best they're sort of cute together.

Plus, it just doesn't matter. This story is apparently all about Melanie, not Philip and Stephanie. Everything has been about Melanie for months now and I see no hope of that changing. I don't think the writers are bothering to give Stephanie a personality of her own because Carrie 2.0 is good enough for them. Everything that's happened between Philip and Stephanie from the vault on has apparently been staged solely for Melanie's benefit. I hate Melanie and she is very close to being the worst possible love interest I can imagine for Philip (I'll keep the others to myself so as not to give Dena ideas), so as long as she continues to be anywhere near Philip I'm barely watching Philip. I'm not boycotting Philip/Stephanie, I'm boycotting Philip/Melanie--I don't even see that there is really IS a Philip/Stephanie. They don't exist for any reason independent of Melanie and there isn't enough chemistry there for me to care.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Paxton
Dec 26 2008, 07:20 PM
I like Stephanie fine. I couldn't stand Shayna Rose but I've liked Stephanie (or the potential of Stephanie, at least) since the recast. My problem is the buildup, even as delineated in this thread, is virtually non-existent. I still don't see why Philip likes Stephanie or vice versa other than that they're both hot. Now, if the actors had smoking hot chemistry together in my eyes, I could forgive that, but IMO, they simply don't. At best they're sort of cute together.

Plus, it just doesn't matter. This story is apparently all about Melanie, not Philip and Stephanie. Everything has been about Melanie for months now and I see no hope of that changing. I don't think the writers are bothering to give Stephanie a personality of her own because Carrie 2.0 is good enough for them. Everything that's happened between Philip and Stephanie from the vault on has apparently been staged solely for Melanie's benefit. I hate Melanie and she is very close to being the worst possible love interest I can imagine for Philip (I'll keep the others to myself so as not to give Dena ideas), so as long as she continues to be anywhere near Philip I'm barely watching Philip. I'm not boycotting Philip/Stephanie, I'm boycotting Philip/Melanie--I don't even see that there is really IS a Philip/Stephanie. They don't exist for any reason independent of Melanie and there isn't enough chemistry there for me to care.
I think you're right about the Melanie focus. She's turning into the town, I don't know...brat? Where is this leading, I wonder?

pnelsen

I don't understand why the show doesn't have time to develop characters. They have Sami and Rafe and Nicole and EJ repeat the same conversations day in and day out. How many times have we seen Daniel and Chloe have flashbacks of his examination of her? I think if the writing were better, they could make the time to develop characters. What is the rush?

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Again, though, is it Stephanie or the fact that they're pairing her with Philip instead of Chloe?

Well, I suppose if this board has a search function you can go back months and months ago where I've wished for death multiple times for Max and Stephanie because I disliked them both. I hated Stephanie for interfering with Chick (loved them when they first got together!) and for encouraging Chelsea to go after that moron Jett. I thought they wrote Stephanie like a skanky whore when she came back, couldn't stand her with bland Jeremy, and hated the incest storyline with Max. So no, I haven't liked Stephanie since the SH recast (as I think I just stated). Ergo, I'm not particularly thrilled to have her as the romantic love interest for one of my favorite characters.

I'm still of the opinion that the entire younger cast could be let go (Max, Chelsea, Stephanie, Melanie although I still want Nick to stay and I'm bummed that he's the one they chose to get rid of!) and the show would be better off without them. I understand they have fans, but just from my own opinion, I haven't found anything watchable about the younger set since they destroyed Chick.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Paxton

I dunno, I think they're going with Phil and Steph (Carrie) with Melanie (Sami) as the bad girl we're supposed to hate, and the bad girl never gets the guy or at least not for long.

Edited by SpriteEyes, Dec 27 2008, 10:01 PM.

jane1978

SpriteEyes
Dec 27 2008, 10:00 PM
Paxton

I dunno, I think they're going with Phil and Steph (Carrie) with Melanie (Sami) as the bad girl we're supposed to hate, and the bad girl never gets the guy or at least not for long.

I agree, except Sami was obsessed with Austin. Sheīd hopelessly fell in love with him months before she discovered he is already in love with Carrie and she wanted him badly. So far I didnīt see any signs Melanie is in love with Phillip or is dreaming about happily ever after with him.

Her main motivation seems to be her hate for Stephanie. Stephanie is popular, respected and loved, thatīs everything what Mel would like to be too, but the ways she chooses are completely wrong. She envies Steph and she wants to teach her a lesson and there is no better way than to separate and try to seduce her boyfriend, but IMO she is not interested in Phillip beyond the way she is interest in any good looking man with money.
Edited by jane1978, Dec 28 2008, 09:26 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

jane1978
Dec 28 2008, 09:25 AM
SpriteEyes
Dec 27 2008, 10:00 PM
Paxton

I agree, except Sami was obsessed with Austin. Sheīd hopelessly fell in love with him months before she discovered he is already in love with Carrie and she wanted him badly. So far I didnīt see any signs Melanie is in love with Phillip or is dreaming about happily ever after with him.

Her main motivation seems to be her hate for Stephanie. Stephanie is popular, respected and loved, thatīs everything what Mel would like to be too, but the ways she chooses are completely wrong. She envies Steph and she wants to teach her a lesson and there is no better way than to separate and try to seduce her boyfriend, but IMO she is not interested in Phillip beyond the way she is interest in any good looking man with money.
And, too, she and Stephanie were at odds when Stephanie had her number back in Paris. All Max could see was he found his sister, and Stephanie had her figured out right away. Melanie knew it, too. So, I just think it's more of a "Melanie is trying to get everything Stephanie has and ruin her life" type of thing.
And, it seems now she's going to be making a play for Brady. That's how Melanie survived in Paris, after all. She'd get guys to fall in love with her and buy things for her. (Remember George)?
More and more, I think I might start to enjoy this storyline. I might even enjoy Stephanie and Philip! They have the Shelley/JKJ friendship going for them, and it seems these two actors are very comfortable with each other. And again, this wasn't a big surprise. This is something that has been hinted at for a while, and, at least at Emmy time, something the actors apparently wanted. Now, yes, I know that isn't always a good thing (Allison Sweeney, anyone?) but for me right now, it's working, and for some others. Are they going to be a raging success? Probably not. They're going to be one of those middlin' couples....probably split down the middle in terms of popularity, but not causing any massive mob scenes.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 28 2008, 09:48 AM.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I don't think she was making a play for Brady. I think she just flirts and doesn't even realize she does it. It's how she managed to get by while on her own in Paris.

I also think she wanted to get Phil's attention. Do I think she's in love with Phil? No. But I do think she's interested, not obsessed. But definitly crushing.

And compared to some of the things the previous younger generations have done, Melanie's don't come close and yet she's taking a great amount of heat.

It's not her fault Nick went bonkers. She hasn't broken up any marriages or accidently caused anyone to die. As much as Stephanie wants to blame Melanie for her and Max's breaking up, it's not Melanie's fault.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

I think they should pair Melanie off with Victor. He likes them young and she likes money.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

phloeishot
Dec 28 2008, 02:03 PM
I think they should pair Melanie off with Victor. He likes them young and she likes money.
OK, I need the brain bleach now.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

SpriteEyes
Dec 28 2008, 11:35 AM
I also think she wanted to get Phil's attention. Do I think she's in love with Phil? No. But I do think she's interested, not obsessed. But definitly crushing.

I agree with this. I don't see her interest in Philip as being entirely or even primarily motivated by hatred for Stephanie, though that's probably part of it. Philip and Stephanie weren't yet a twinkle in the writers' eyes when Melanie first met him and was raving to Max about how hot Philip was. I think Melanie's a pathetic third-rate excuse for an actual maneater, but she does apparently fancy herself capable of landing a rich, powerful man even though we have no evidence she actually was able to manipulate/attract grown men--only boys. Particularly not corporate tycoon disabled Marine men, who theoretically ought to be able to fend off advances from teenage wannabe vixens (or is she an abuse victim today? Which version are the writers going with? I guess they don't need her to be an abuse victim now that Trent's dead and Philip gave her the job at Titan).

I've been complaining that this is Sami/Austin/Carrie version 2.0 for quite some time now, and that's exactly why I hate it. Well, one of the reasons. But though Sami was the bad-seed interloper to Carrie/Austin, she did get Austin from time to time. The fact that she didn't get him for long or permanently is irrelevant to me, because Philip is (was) my favorite character and Melanie is my most hated. I could learn to tolerate her if they kept her away from Philip and reduced her airtime, but as that seems unlikely, I'm sure I'll eventually end up FF'ing Philip, because I won't watch Phelony, period. I already wish JKJ hadn't re-signed precisely because of this storylline.

I did like Melanie with Nick. Those two actors had chemistry together. So why that pairing got destroyed for a totally unnecessary and unwanted S/A/C is completely mysterious to me.

esp13
Member Avatar

While I don't think we're supposed to see Melanie's interest as driven by her hatred/jealousy of Stephanie, that's exactly how it comes across to me. I know that there was the whole attempted seduction scene before Stephanie and Max ever broke up, but it seems like since that time almost everything has been driven by Melanie's desire to mess with Stephanie's life. It seems like if she were more interested in Philip than messing with Stephanie, she'd be trying to get Max and Stephanie back together, not pushing Chelsea and Max together.

While I hated the Sami/Austin/Carrie storyline, the one thing that made Sami somewhat sympathetic was that I could see why she wanted Austin so badly -- there was a lonely, insecure little girl inside that just wanted somebody to love her best. In this current version, I can't find anything sympathetic about Melanie because she comes across as simply a teenage golddigger looking for a guy with money. I know we're supposed to feel sorry for her because of Trent, but that storyline was so out of nowhere and completely consistent with everything about the character that I can't really buy it.

Who knew they could actually make the S/A/C triangle even worse than it was the first time around?

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 28 2008, 09:47 AM
jane1978
Dec 28 2008, 09:25 AM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
And, too, she and Stephanie were at odds when Stephanie had her number back in Paris. All Max could see was he found his sister, and Stephanie had her figured out right away. Melanie knew it, too. So, I just think it's more of a "Melanie is trying to get everything Stephanie has and ruin her life" type of thing.
And, it seems now she's going to be making a play for Brady. That's how Melanie survived in Paris, after all. She'd get guys to fall in love with her and buy things for her. (Remember George)?
More and more, I think I might start to enjoy this storyline. I might even enjoy Stephanie and Philip! They have the Shelley/JKJ friendship going for them, and it seems these two actors are very comfortable with each other. And again, this wasn't a big surprise. This is something that has been hinted at for a while, and, at least at Emmy time, something the actors apparently wanted. Now, yes, I know that isn't always a good thing (Allison Sweeney, anyone?) but for me right now, it's working, and for some others. Are they going to be a raging success? Probably not. They're going to be one of those middlin' couples....probably split down the middle in terms of popularity, but not causing any massive mob scenes.
Now, this is not just because I like them together, but I have a feeling that the Philip and Stephanie relationship is going to continue to gain popularity. It is already happening around the net. IF written well, the story can also include Victor, Steve, and Kayla, and if MBE and SN are willing to work for newbie salaries, maybe they will get to stay with the show :D

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

esp13
Dec 28 2008, 09:22 PM
While I don't think we're supposed to see Melanie's interest as driven by her hatred/jealousy of Stephanie, that's exactly how it comes across to me. I know that there was the whole attempted seduction scene before Stephanie and Max ever broke up, but it seems like since that time almost everything has been driven by Melanie's desire to mess with Stephanie's life. It seems like if she were more interested in Philip than messing with Stephanie, she'd be trying to get Max and Stephanie back together, not pushing Chelsea and Max together.

While I hated the Sami/Austin/Carrie storyline, the one thing that made Sami somewhat sympathetic was that I could see why she wanted Austin so badly -- there was a lonely, insecure little girl inside that just wanted somebody to love her best. In this current version, I can't find anything sympathetic about Melanie because she comes across as simply a teenage golddigger looking for a guy with money. I know we're supposed to feel sorry for her because of Trent, but that storyline was so out of nowhere and completely consistent with everything about the character that I can't really buy it.

Who knew they could actually make the S/A/C triangle even worse than it was the first time around?

See, I feel bad for poor Melanie, because she just can't seem to understand why people don't like her. She wants to have friends, but doesn't seem to realize that her scheming ways, are getting in the way

esp13
Member Avatar

^^I think Melanie knows exactly why people don't like her and just doesn't care. I think she's confused as to why her ownership of Nick's project hasn't made her Philip's favorite person, but she thinks that's Stephanie's fault, I'm sure. I think Melanie could have been made sympathetic with better writing and more nuanced acting, but it hasn't happened for me so far.

And, while I don't care for Melanie, I think Molly Burnett is a decent actress. I just don't think she's done very well conveying any underlying vulnerability in Melanie. The few times I think she's tried to convey that, it's come across as very fake like she's manipulating whoever she's talking too. Maybe that's now how it's intended to come across, but that's how I've seen it. Which, in turn, makes Melanie even less sympathetic.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply