Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Stephanie and Philip Smooch; Jan 6 issue, article summary
Topic Started: Dec 24 2008, 11:21 AM (3,958 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

It's irrelevant to me whether Melanie actually wants Philip because she thinks he's the right man for her or whether she wants him because she wants to screw Stephanie over. Like I said, I think there are elements of both. What matters to me is that I hate her with Philip under any circumstances, for any reason, and therefore since she's chasing him I have to worry about when or if she's going to catch him even temporarily. And I assume she will somehow eventually manipulate him into bed or a romantic situation because for some reason the writers seem to think he's too dumb to figure out what she's doing. Once that's done, the character of Philip is ruined for me. Sex with an 18-year-old (whose character I also can't stand)--there's no going back for me. Others will differ, but that's my line in the sand.
Edited by Paxton, Dec 28 2008, 09:55 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Well, it's irrelevant to me as well because I don't want Philip anywhere near Melanie even if they ditch the idea of Philip and Stephanie tomorrow. But, it terms of good soap storytelling, I think it's an important element that has, of course, been totally ignored by the writing staff.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Dec 28 2008, 09:22 PM
While I don't think we're supposed to see Melanie's interest as driven by her hatred/jealousy of Stephanie, that's exactly how it comes across to me. I know that there was the whole attempted seduction scene before Stephanie and Max ever broke up, but it seems like since that time almost everything has been driven by Melanie's desire to mess with Stephanie's life. It seems like if she were more interested in Philip than messing with Stephanie, she'd be trying to get Max and Stephanie back together, not pushing Chelsea and Max together.

While I hated the Sami/Austin/Carrie storyline, the one thing that made Sami somewhat sympathetic was that I could see why she wanted Austin so badly -- there was a lonely, insecure little girl inside that just wanted somebody to love her best. In this current version, I can't find anything sympathetic about Melanie because she comes across as simply a teenage golddigger looking for a guy with money. I know we're supposed to feel sorry for her because of Trent, but that storyline was so out of nowhere and completely consistent with everything about the character that I can't really buy it.

Who knew they could actually make the S/A/C triangle even worse than it was the first time around?

That's the ticket! Also, they portrayed Sami as being insecure as far as her position and "favored status" went in the family. There was that sibling rivalry factor with she and Carrie that also factored into their rivalry and made it much more interesting. Although, I am seeing facets of Melanie's deep insecurities, especially around Christmas when it seemed everyone was happy with their families and she had no one but Max, who seemed to begrudgingly willing to let her join in the festivities, worried about having to clamp her mouth shut if necessary. I think Molly is learning the nuances of showing inner vulnerability. She doesn't have it down pat yet. Rather, she keeps the sarcasm full to the forefront. She needs to master the wistful glance look. If they could develop that in her a little more, they might be able to pull this off after all.

Edited to say: esp, I should have quoted your other post! IT's more in line of what I was thinking at the end of mine. :D
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 28 2008, 11:08 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

^^I've seen Molly throw moments of vulnerability in, but the problem is that they've been exactly the same expressions and tones and mannerisms as when she's tried to make a play for sympathy. That's where she needs to work on the nuances. Because when I see a character act sad and vulnerable but know (based on other scenes) that's it's a big act and blatant play for sympathy and then see that same character act exactly the same way when it's supposed to be a "real" moment of vulnerability, it doesn't work so well.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Dec 29 2008, 10:36 AM
^^I've seen Molly throw moments of vulnerability in, but the problem is that they've been exactly the same expressions and tones and mannerisms as when she's tried to make a play for sympathy. That's where she needs to work on the nuances. Because when I see a character act sad and vulnerable but know (based on other scenes) that's it's a big act and blatant play for sympathy and then see that same character act exactly the same way when it's supposed to be a "real" moment of vulnerability, it doesn't work so well.
She needs tutoring from Arianne Zucker or old school Allison Sweeney. Allison used to be so good with those......

KellyGHFan

I think Molly is a great actress, she is the best newcomer we had in awhile. I just don't want Melanie with Philip. Melanie is my favorite character on the show and like ever. I want her to be single for a while but lets bring in a new girl for a BFF. Melanie needs someone to hang around other then Philip and Stephanie. Melanie needs a girlfriend.

Why not bring Will back and have him as a love interest for Melanie. Then I might get Melanie and Sami butting heads. That right there would be so much fun, what would be better if Melanie turns out to be Nicole's daughter. Could you imagine Nicole's daughter(Melanie) dating Sami's Son(Will). With Nicole and Sami's history, they would hate it.

Stephanie and Philip are just smoking hot. Shelley and Jay have some serious chemistry going on. They are hot together. I am glad Melanie is apart of this triangle cause she is keeping it from going boring. I hope Dena doesn't ruin Philip and Stephanie cause she strucked gold here. I hope she doesn't rush them to having sex. Please, wait acouple months.
Edited by KellyGHFan, Dec 31 2008, 01:54 AM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm loving Phillip and Stephanie, they have so much chemistry..And I look forward to Melanie stirring up trouble for them..This is one story i'm really enjoying right now..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Dec 26 2008, 12:05 PM
phloeishot
Dec 26 2008, 02:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 25 2008, 02:39 AM
^Drew, I would agree with you if not for the fact that it's a very flirty relationship and that as long as they don't have sex anytime in the next two months, it's not rushed IMO. I think it's reflective of modern times. I think there is a disconnect with the audience if you try to make it too old-fashioned. You don't see people Steph and Philip's age waiting around to kiss or to explore each other before becoming a couple. I'm all for slow builds but I recognize the times and culture we live in. People have short attention spans. Hell, people already want the baby story over with and it's only been going since the last week of November.

The days of slow-building romances and stories are gone. I wish they weren't but they just don't seem to be accepted by the masses anymore. There is always fan fiction though LOL.
I don't think that's true at all. I'm part of the demo that the networks want and I loved how Langan and his team had a slow build up to Shelle and Phloe. I don't like "insta-love".
But, in all fairness, you're one person, and you are someone who is pretty ardent in wanting Philip with someone else. I'm pretty sure Tim was talking about this day and age in general. The more I watch Philip and Stephanie, the more I enjoy their flirty vibe. Although, of course, I'm not part of that all-important demographic. Or am I? I forgot the age range. And he's right. And, of course, Tim didn't mention "demos"; he mentioned the masses, which encompasses all age groups.
But, Tim, in another way, Days doesn't have the luxury of a slow, drawn-out romance, time-wise. So combined with attention spans, this is the way of the world, at least our world.
Exactly.

I'm all for slow builds too but soaps ditched those a long time ago. Over time, we've seen there be less and less time in terms of the "exploration period." I think it's fine to kiss after a month or so but the sex needs to come much later. I think around 6 months is fine but alot depends on how they play everything out It can be less depending on how they approach it. Right now, Philip and Stephanie are nearing 3 months so we'll see. If they continue to get alot of airtime, which they should, then the development can move a bit faster.

I do think they had buildup though. It started in late October and they even had several attempts to kiss before they actually did so. EJ/Nicole also had somewhat of a slow build. I think the worst the show has done this year has been Daniel/Chelsea, Daniel/Kate, and Lucas/Chloe. Now, I ended up liking Daniel/Kate and Lucas/Chloe but the beginnings of those matchups sucked and were forced, thanks to the backstage turmoil, and Daniel/Kate I liked mostly for the chemistry and because it ended Chan. I think the pairings now are being paced nicely.

Paxton
Member Avatar

But why are Stephanie and Philip attracted to each other, besides that they're both hot? Since I don't see any chemistry between them, I need a "why." I need to know what it is about Stephanie, besides that she comes to work topless, that Philip finds so attractive and special and interesting. And I need to know what it is about Philip, in particular, Philip Kiriakis the person, that Stephanie finds so appealing. What do they have in common (besides not getting along with Melanie)? To be fair, it's the same problem I have with basically every soap couple since time began, but when there's great chemistry I can overlook the "why" and the lack of a buildup. When there isn't, and there isn't to me in this case, I can't.

sungrey

SpriteEyes
Dec 26 2008, 06:14 PM
esp13
Dec 26 2008, 06:11 PM
Well, thus far, she appears to be able to go to the post office and pick up a package without needing Philip's support. I liked Morgan and Philip and Morgan right up until they made Morgan a simpering wimp who totally believed Philip was a wonderful guy despite the fact that her father (who she believed could do no wrong) warned her multiple times to stay away from him.

Thus far (and Lord knows it could change tomorrow), I like that Stephanie has been more confident lately and most of her interaction with Philip has been fun and banter-y. I really wish they would develop Stephanie's character further, but I hold no real hopes for that since the show doesn't seem to have any interest in developing anybody's character.
I could have gone more for this pairing if it weren't so "in your face this is who we're gonna go with" about it.

I prefer subtley being lead along, not hit over the head with it.
It seems like when the show is "in your face" about a coupling (oh hi Daniel and Chelsea!) that's when all the backlash occurs. It's like Corday is saying "you'll love this couple!" and we're all shouting "NO, WE WON'T!" right back at him.

Shelley and Jay have had some alright scenes together, but this couple just doesn't spark with me. Not yet, anyway.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

^ so agree! When they shove couples in our throats w/out some build up then it just becomes about sex and nothing more.
I really like Stephanie and Philip but I do wish they would have more non-romantic interaction. Give them a huge project at work- have them talking more about their past relationships and why they failed. Have their families interlope more so that they start talking about it.

Its also really hard for Stephanie to call Melanie a slut if your blouse is cut lower then hers???

As for Melanie- she started out as a Sami clone- all screaming all the time! I couldnt stand that! But now the actress has toned it down more and she's much better. I do think she needs to be in the Stephanie/Phil SL, but Phil needs to stop the screaming- you can still distrust/not like a person and not have to yell!

One thing I cannot believe is Melanie being Nicole's daughter...BMAFB! I hate that! I wouldnt mind the whole SL if the character of Nicole would be in her 40s- but come on-having Melanie be 18 and Nicole be her "age" it just sooo impossible to believe. They already gave away too many plot points for the audience to "suspend" belief. For example, Trent and Nicole married when she's 19, and Melanie's 18, so that would make Nicole 37/38? Come on?? REALLY???
Liz

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

As far as the low-cut top goes....Sami, Chloe, and in the past, Mimi always went around with low-cut tops, no matter what the occasion. Heck, Lexie used to wear them under her lab coat, so I really don't know why this keeps coming up. Natalie wears them on One Life. They make me uncomfortable, but I can't pinpoint Stephanie only as being a tramp for wearing them.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 31 2008, 01:14 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Liz<3Days
Dec 31 2008, 01:10 PM
^ so agree! When they shove couples in our throats w/out some build up then it just becomes about sex and nothing more.
I really like Stephanie and Philip but I do wish they would have more non-romantic interaction. Give them a huge project at work- have them talking more about their past relationships and why they failed. Have their families interlope more so that they start talking about it.

Its also really hard for Stephanie to call Melanie a slut if your blouse is cut lower then hers???

As for Melanie- she started out as a Sami clone- all screaming all the time! I couldnt stand that! But now the actress has toned it down more and she's much better. I do think she needs to be in the Stephanie/Phil SL, but Phil needs to stop the screaming- you can still distrust/not like a person and not have to yell!

One thing I cannot believe is Melanie being Nicole's daughter...BMAFB! I hate that! I wouldnt mind the whole SL if the character of Nicole would be in her 40s- but come on-having Melanie be 18 and Nicole be her "age" it just sooo impossible to believe. They already gave away too many plot points for the audience to "suspend" belief. For example, Trent and Nicole married when she's 19, and Melanie's 18, so that would make Nicole 37/38? Come on?? REALLY???
Liz

They never said Melanie is Nicole's daughter.

Paxton
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2008, 01:13 PM
As far as the low-cut top goes....Sami, Chloe, and in the past, Mimi always went around with low-cut tops, no matter what the occasion. Heck, Lexie used to wear them under her lab coat, so I really don't know why this keeps coming up.
It's a problem for me because Mimi, Chloe and Sami did not have corporate jobs. Stephanie dresses inappropriately for work. I don't care what she wears when she's not in the Titan hallway that passes for the office, but when she's on the job she needs to wear something less revealing.

As for Lexie, I don't really remember her wearing anything revealing at work, but if she did, my answer would be the same: it needs to stop.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Paxton
Dec 31 2008, 01:16 PM
ladyofthelake
As far as the low-cut top goes....Sami, Chloe, and in the past, Mimi always went around with low-cut tops, no matter what the occasion. Heck, Lexie used to wear them under her lab coat, so I really don't know why this keeps coming up.
It's a problem for me because Mimi, Chloe and Sami did not have corporate jobs. Stephanie dresses inappropriately for work. I don't care what she wears when she's not in the Titan hallway that passes for the office, but when she's on the job she needs to wear something less revealing.

As for Lexie, I don't really remember her wearing anything revealing at work, but if she did, my answer would be the same: it needs to stop.
Well, if it keeps coming up maybe there's something to it?

Maybe those other actresses did wear revealing clothes but its very noticeable on her because she's supposed to be the "professional" and Melanie is supposed to be there just to pick up on guys. When Stephanie gets on her high horse and tells Melanie to act "appropriately" it really is hard to "believe" her character when she has a plunging blouse on!
And Lexie has a Dr. coat on so maybe if she's wearing something revealing, the dr. coat distracts from it.
Liz
Edited by Liz<3Days, Dec 31 2008, 01:38 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Paxton
ladyofthelake

But Natalie Buchanan does have a corporate job, or she did. I'm saying...it's not uncommon for this on TV shows anymore. Ever see Dr. Cuddy? Olivia Benson (who works with pervs all day?) The doctors on ER? It's not uncommon. And yes, a couple of years ago, Lexie's twins were available for all to see. I don't like it either, but I don't think Stephanie should be bashed solely because of this. If the CEO of Titan has a problem with it, he needs to address it. :D
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 31 2008, 02:05 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Liz<3Days
Dec 31 2008, 01:37 PM
Paxton
ladyofthelake

Well, if it keeps coming up maybe there's something to it?

Maybe those other actresses did wear revealing clothes but its very noticeable on her because she's supposed to be the "professional" and Melanie is supposed to be there just to pick up on guys. When Stephanie gets on her high horse and tells Melanie to act "appropriately" it really is hard to "believe" her character when she has a plunging blouse on!
And Lexie has a Dr. coat on so maybe if she's wearing something revealing, the dr. coat distracts from it.
Liz
Apparently, the lab coat didn't do its job, because I certainly noticed it, and I'm a heterosexual woman. Please note my post above.

Paxton
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2008, 02:04 PM
Paxton
ladyofthelake

But Natalie Buchanan does have a corporate job, or she did. I'm saying...it's not uncommon for this on TV shows anymore. Ever see Dr. Cuddy? Olivia Benson (who works with pervs all day?) The doctors on ER? It's not uncommon. And yes, a couple of years ago, Lexie's twins were available for all to see. I don't like it either, but I don't think Stephanie should be bashed solely because of this. If the CEO of Titan has a problem with it, he needs to address it. :D
As I said, Lexie doing it in the past doesn't make it ok. I have the same problem with ANY woman wearing low cut tops to work. I don't watch other soaps so I don't know who Natalie Buchanan is, or Dr. Cuddy, or Oliva Benson, or the doctors on ER. It wouldn't matter to me anyway. If I knew who they were and they were wearing plunging tops at work, I would have a problem with that as well. This is not me singling out Stephanie as a slut. I never said she was and in fact I have argued many times, back when she was with Jeremy, that it was not fair to call her a slut when people were doing that. I don't believe Stephanie is a slut. I do believe the character is extremely inappropriately costumed and I'm not going to change my mind about that.

KellyGHFan

Liz<3Days
Liz

I do agree with you that it is alittle far fetched that Nicole would have a teenager daughter.

but stranger things has happened on days. If EJ can be 27-30 even though he was born in what 1998 or around there, anything can happen.

If Nicole is revealed as Melanie's mother. Then this would get Nicole the hell away from Sami's man EJ and have Melanie away from Philip and Stephanie.

I really want Nicole as Melanie's mother.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

KellyGHFan
Dec 31 2008, 03:54 PM
Liz<3Days
Liz

I do agree with you that it is alittle far fetched that Nicole would have a teenager daughter.

but stranger things has happened on days. If EJ can be 27-30 even though he was born in what 1998 or around there, anything can happen.

If Nicole is revealed as Melanie's mother. Then this would get Nicole the hell away from Sami's man EJ and have Melanie away from Philip and Stephanie.

I really want Nicole as Melanie's mother.
I guess I'll have to suspend belief....AGAIN! Maybe its because I didnt mind if Nicole went after Phil...and making Melanie her daughter.....just dont want Nicole to be strapped with an ADULT daughter!

As for clothing in the workplace....If I notice another character dressing inappropriately, then I would call it out too! I really like Stephanie and not character bashing but pleezee that girl is/was dressing like a ho!
Liz

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply