Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Best Strategy for Bringing Back DHs- TUNE OUT
Topic Started: Dec 27 2008, 02:42 PM (2,525 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mikegoldy
Dec 27 2008, 09:21 PM
Jane083
Dec 27 2008, 08:52 PM
I have no intention of watching any part of DAYS without John & Marlena. I have only held out this last year because of the promise for a good J/M love story. I could easily give Corday a VERY long list of actors he could do away with so he could keep John and Marlena on the front burner, along with Bo and Hope, Steve and Kayla. How can he not realize that we want the 'family' show we have loved for so long. DAYS always had a history of family and now hardly any of the Horton and Brady families exists and that is who we care for and what we want to see. Watching the Christmas tree hanging episode made me realize just how many people who we cared about that are missing: Jack, Jennifer, Mike, Shawn, Belle, Carrie, Austin. Who really cares about over half the cast that they have now?
I care about a lot of the characters on the show lol To be honest, the only characters I truly don't care about at all or Tony and Roman lol Characters come and go all of the time on soaps. 25 years ago, there wasn't an adult Jennifer, a Jack, a Shawn, a Belle, an adult Carrie, or an Austin. However, there were lots of other popular characters that I'm sure viewers missed when they left. I feel quite attached to Bo and Hope, and Maggie, and EJ and Sami, and Philip and Chloe, and Chelsea, and Caroline.... The list really goes on. It's sad that there aren't more Hortons on the show, something that could be easily rectified. Bring back Jeremy and Sara Horton, put lots more focus on Doug, Julie, and Maggie, and you have a Horton family. There are plenty of Bradys, and the Christmas show was filled with different families celebrating.

If you were only watching for John and Marlena, that's a shame. It would be hard for me to try to stay connected to a show where I only cared about 2 of the 30 characters.
And, I know there are a lot of people who do, but I can't get that way. I might have STARTED watching a show for a favorite actor, but i usually end up getting hooked on other actors/characters. So, for instance, if Farah Fath left OLTL (I started watching that because she was on it), I'd keep going.
I've lost lots of favorites on Days over the years, but there is usually something else intriguing to replace it, even if it is only one storyline. Soaps are meant to be ensemble shows, even with the matriarchs or patriarchs.

And, I miss the "discussion" aspect of discussion boards, which is what this is. That can include complaining, but I can see now why some folks are getting disheartened that everything is so negative. Oh, well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 27 2008, 07:34 PM
hoochielicious
Dec 27 2008, 07:32 PM
daisysmommy
Dec 27 2008, 05:12 PM
OK-- but I boycotted during TB stupidity-- and ratings tanked. So I am sticking to my story.

If there's ANYTHING left there to keep you entertained, I seriously am not computing. But go with your gut.
So you are responsible for the ratings tanking? Wow. I had no idea I was talking to someone with all that power.

:hail:
:lol:

And Mikegoldy, I totally agree. Quitting watching TV show shouldn't be a major event.
I'm thinking about having cards made up and send them to all my closest friends/relatives when I decide to stop watching a show. :tounge:

Mason
Member Avatar

hops
Dec 27 2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not living in the past. I just don't think the present show is very entertaining.
I've been trying to stay out of the DAYS threads lately, for my own sanity, if nothing else, but I just have to say how much I agree with this post! It annoys me when people that aren't enjoying the show right now, like myself, are accused of just wanting it to be like it was in the 80's and 90's. I certainly don't expect the show to ever be like that again, but I do expect to be entertained, nonetheless. Unfortunately, I've been anything but.

Okay, I'm out again.

Mason
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 27 2008, 09:36 PM
And, I miss the "discussion" aspect of discussion boards, which is what this is. That can include complaining, but I can see now why some folks are getting disheartened that everything is so negative. Oh, well.
Instead of getting upset about others' "complaining", maybe those folks should try discussing why they're complaining, instead of bitching about it.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Dec 27 2008, 09:53 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 27 2008, 07:34 PM
hoochielicious
Dec 27 2008, 07:32 PM
daisysmommy
Dec 27 2008, 05:12 PM
OK-- but I boycotted during TB stupidity-- and ratings tanked. So I am sticking to my story.

If there's ANYTHING left there to keep you entertained, I seriously am not computing. But go with your gut.
So you are responsible for the ratings tanking? Wow. I had no idea I was talking to someone with all that power.

:hail:
:lol:

And Mikegoldy, I totally agree. Quitting watching TV show shouldn't be a major event.
I'm thinking about having cards made up and send them to all my closest friends/relatives when I decide to stop watching a show. :tounge:
Can you put me on your mailing list as well? I would like to pay my respects :D

Ellie

^^ I really don't get what the issue is. Some people have been watching Days since 1965, and they're stopping now because of Deidre. (I have no idea when the people in this thread started watching.) The Days characters feel like family to them. I know one person who watched Days in high school in the 60's, then watched through college, then had a family in the 70's and held babies on her lap while watching the show, then continued as her kids grew, and now she holds her grandson on her lap as she watches. If she stopped watching now, would that be a major event in her life? You bet! I've seen posts and talked to people who are stopping after having watched for YEARS, and all because Deidre is fired. So I'm really not sure why that's not worthy of discussion, especially on a soap board!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

atleast half of those "i'm never watching again" people will continue to watch

Ellie

^^ I'm sure some will. I don't think 'half', though. It's not like the show is thriving and Marlena leaves Salem in the middle of that (as was the case in 87). I've seen many posts saying they felt like Deidre or J&M were their only connection to the show as it used to be and that the show isn't worth watching now. (I know there are some S&K fans here who feel the same way about SN/MBE.) The question is, when do these people finally 'cut the cord' and leave Days? While you're right Drew that some people won't be able to do that till the show ends, I think this might be the last straw for many viewers. And if as some are speculating, the show is "vet-less" (besides B&H) in a few months, then I think even more viewers will call it quits.

I know there are some on this board (and in this thread) who are part of the 'watch till the end group' - I totally understand that. But I don't think that precludes our discussing the many others who don't fit in that category.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I think its quite egotistical of a single fanbase to label the show "vet-less" (not you personally as you're saying its others), when you still have the likes of Bo, Hope, Maggie, Caroline, Victor, Steve, Kayla, Abe, Lexie, Sami, Lucas on the show regularly, and Doug and Julie making guest appearances consistantly. Its this kind of talk that pisses people off so much when it comes to these fanbase discussions.

Ellie

Drew
Dec 27 2008, 11:18 PM
I think its quite egotistical of a single fanbase to label the show "vet-less" (not you personally as you're saying its others), when you still have the likes of Bo, Hope, Maggie, Caroline, Victor, Steve, Kayla, Abe, Lexie, Sami, Lucas on the show regularly, and Doug and Julie making guest appearances consistantly. Its this kind of talk that pisses people off so much when it comes to these fanbase discussions.
No no, that's why I said "in a few months" - I've seen posts here guessing that many of the people on your list will be gone in six months. That's what I was talking about, IF that happens. (Not Sami and Lucas - I guess I meant 'fortysomething and above' characters.)

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 27 2008, 10:34 PM
^^ I really don't get what the issue is. Some people have been watching Days since 1965, and they're stopping now because of Deidre. (I have no idea when the people in this thread started watching.) The Days characters feel like family to them. I know one person who watched Days in high school in the 60's, then watched through college, then had a family in the 70's and held babies on her lap while watching the show, then continued as her kids grew, and now she holds her grandson on her lap as she watches. If she stopped watching now, would that be a major event in her life? You bet! I've seen posts and talked to people who are stopping after having watched for YEARS, and all because Deidre is fired. So I'm really not sure why that's not worthy of discussion, especially on a soap board!
ANYTHING is worthy of discussion on a soap board, if it's about soaps. But it just comes across as (I will use the word "different,") that some people announce their departure from a soap, as if they are truly leaving this world. I guess it shows the power of soaps.

Ellie

^^ Well I didn't see it exactly that way, but about the power of soaps - that's it! I agree. I wish 'TPTB' would understand that as well as we all do here. The characters really are like family to us, and it is traumatic in a way when a favorite character leaves. If Ken Corday had half of the passion for Days that many of the fans do, the show would be in much better shape than it's in now.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 28 2008, 12:10 AM
^^ Well I didn't see it exactly that way, but about the power of soaps - that's it! I agree. I wish 'TPTB' would understand that as well as we all do here. The characters really are like family to us, and it is traumatic in a way when a favorite character leaves. If Ken Corday had half of the passion for Days that many of the fans do, the show would be in much better shape than it's in now.
Isn't that the truth. DAYS especially still has so many passionate fans, unfortunately not many in charge are able to care as much as we do.

Ellie

Mikegoldy
Dec 28 2008, 12:14 AM
Ellie
Isn't that the truth. DAYS especially still has so many passionate fans, unfortunately not many in charge are able to care as much as we do.
Exactly. Posted Image

JustJo
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 27 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm one of those "since 1965" viewers you mentioned, Ellie. Thank you, you summed up my feelings beautifully. Yes, it's just a TV show. But, many of the characters over the years have seemed like family or, at least, well known friends. I didn't start out watching for just one or two favorites. I watched for the whole show for decades. But, and I'm speaking only for myself, the show has deteriorated to the point that I only tuned in for a few characters because the ones being focused on didn't interest me. The writing and story telling wasn't pulling me in. I wanted to watch for the whole show like I used to. But it wasn't there. With Deidre leaving I just don't have enough interest anymore to continue to even TiVo it. And I'm sad about that, and I will miss something that has been part of my life for over 40 years. So, thanks for understanding how many of us feel.

Do I expect my departure to make any impact on anyone but me?? Absolutely not. Do I hope that fans who still enjoy the show will be able to enjoy it for many years to come?? Yes. Will life go on?? Yes.

lene
Member Avatar

Oh yes, Days is such a crap show. Really? seriously? Days CREATED these characters you all claim to love. Days is the reason these characters excist. but still...days is crap!

Ellie

^^ Um, right. Days created these characters - well, the ones I love - 30 and 20 years ago. Now, over the years (especially the last few), I think the show has turned to crap. I don't see the contradiction.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

lene
Dec 28 2008, 01:28 AM
Oh yes, Days is such a crap show. Really? seriously? Days CREATED these characters you all claim to love. Days is the reason these characters excist. but still...days is crap!
um, what exactly is your point? If it's that people should be blindly devoted to Days no matter what just because it is still on the air, that may work for you but not those of us who dont have 5 hours a week in our busy lives to waste on something that is not entertaining us. I've given this show 10 years of my life, most of that time its been a source of frustration over shifting bad directions, but I've never felt it to be unsalvagable untill this year. I havent watched since March, and I havent missed it one bit.

The source of my disagreement here is that I dont think Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn are the end all and be all of this show, if they had a strong writing team in place telling strong and compelling stories Days wouldnt be having the problems they are with viewers dropping them like a bad habbit. If the rest of the show was strong, we wouldnt have people leaving just because a set of characters that have been poorly written for a decade have been dropped from their contracts.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
Dec 28 2008, 12:14 AM
Ellie
That is certainly the truth and why fans feel the need to be "dramatic" or announce to others on boards who may indeed feel the same way they do. For validation. For solidarity. For sympathy. And yes, for the passion.

Soaps are different from sitcoms, drama's and other TV specials. Where else do you get to see children grow to adults (Sami, Belle, Carrie). Where else do you see young love grow to supercouple love 20 years later (Bo & Hope). Where else do you see couples fight enemies, devils, and ex's just to be together (J&M and S&K). Where else do you see people grow old and eventually go away (Tom and Alice Horton, Shawn Brady). If you don't get caught up in those things in the soap you watch, you should stop watching because that is what soaps used to do...

That is why it is so easy for some of us to simply stop watching now, because some of the above is missing.
Who do you want to see grow from children to adulthood? The invisible Ciara? Theo?
Who do you want to see grow from young love to super love? Max and one of his cousins?
Who can stand down odds like enemies, the devil, and brainwashing? EJ and Nicole? Lucas and Chloe?

Soaps are not the same, neither are fans, but fans should not be put down for being passionate about a show that provided an alternate reality for some for 20+ years.

Ellie

e83talus
Dec 28 2008, 02:38 AM
That is certainly the truth and why fans feel the need to be "dramatic" or announce to others on boards who may indeed feel the same way they do. For validation. For solidarity. For sympathy. And yes, for the passion.

Soaps are different from sitcoms, drama's and other TV specials. Where else do you get to see children grow to adults (Sami, Belle, Carrie). Where else do you see young love grow to supercouple love 20 years later (Bo & Hope). Where else do you see couples fight enemies, devils, and ex's just to be together (J&M and S&K). Where else do you see people grow old and eventually go away (Tom and Alice Horton, Shawn Brady). If you don't get caught up in those things in the soap you watch, you should stop watching because that is what soaps used to do...

That is why it is so easy for some of us to simply stop watching now, because some of the above is missing.
Who do you want to see grow from children to adulthood? The invisible Ciara? Theo?
Who do you want to see grow from young love to super love? Max and one of his cousins?
Who can stand down odds like enemies, the devil, and brainwashing? EJ and Nicole? Lucas and Chloe?

Soaps are not the same, neither are fans, but fans should not be put down for being passionate about a show that provided an alternate reality for some for 20+ years.
EXCELLENT post!! You should send this to the magazines and the show. You've summed up so well why the fans care so much about the show - and why it's so hard to care when the show's in the state it's in now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply