Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Best Strategy for Bringing Back DHs- TUNE OUT
Topic Started: Dec 27 2008, 02:42 PM (2,595 Views)
Gilbert
Member Avatar
I'm just like snow... I get laid

What is the big deal about someone announcing something on a message board. A message board is a place to post messages and as long as it is pertinent to the subject of the board or forum just let it be.

It is a proven fact that people connected to the soaps read the boards so stuff like that needs to be there so they can see.

And for that matter the best part of a message board is that EVERYONE can express an opinion. If you don't like it you don't have to take the time to read it and why in the hell waste precious time responding to something when you could have just let it go instead of starting a big discussion about what a person posts and doesn't post.

They do have just as much right to post their message as you do yours.

:soapbox:

End Rant
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cassie1013

Why would we want a strategy to bring them back? Just so we can put ourselves through this all over again? I can't comprehend why so many fans want this show to continue on under the most dire of circumstances, with the show hanging onto a thread that is thinning by the day Lol.

The current incarnation of the show is an embarrassment to the production, fans of the show, and most definitely the actors whose job is to spew crappy shit on a daily basis. I think the DH's deserve better. The budget isn't there, the money isn't there, and most importantly, the passion doesn't seem to be there either (on both the actor and writing/production ends).

Kyrai

e83talus
Dec 28 2008, 02:38 AM
Mikegoldy
Dec 28 2008, 12:14 AM
Ellie
Dec 28 2008, 12:10 AM
^^ Well I didn't see it exactly that way, but about the power of soaps - that's it! I agree. I wish 'TPTB' would understand that as well as we all do here. The characters really are like family to us, and it is traumatic in a way when a favorite character leaves. If Ken Corday had half of the passion for Days that many of the fans do, the show would be in much better shape than it's in now.
Isn't that the truth. DAYS especially still has so many passionate fans, unfortunately not many in charge are able to care as much as we do.
That is certainly the truth and why fans feel the need to be "dramatic" or announce to others on boards who may indeed feel the same way they do. For validation. For solidarity. For sympathy. And yes, for the passion.

Soaps are different from sitcoms, drama's and other TV specials. Where else do you get to see children grow to adults (Sami, Belle, Carrie). Where else do you see young love grow to supercouple love 20 years later (Bo & Hope). Where else do you see couples fight enemies, devils, and ex's just to be together (J&M and S&K). Where else do you see people grow old and eventually go away (Tom and Alice Horton, Shawn Brady). If you don't get caught up in those things in the soap you watch, you should stop watching because that is what soaps used to do...

That is why it is so easy for some of us to simply stop watching now, because some of the above is missing.
Who do you want to see grow from children to adulthood? The invisible Ciara? Theo?
Who do you want to see grow from young love to super love? Max and one of his cousins?
Who can stand down odds like enemies, the devil, and brainwashing? EJ and Nicole? Lucas and Chloe?

Soaps are not the same, neither are fans, but fans should not be put down for being passionate about a show that provided an alternate reality for some for 20+ years.
Such good posts.

I love both DHs. I know I won't be watching after the 23rd, but it's not just because two characters are leaving. Yes, I adore them, and they are the only reason I watch now, but it's not because I don't want to be entertained by Days. The writing has just changed over the years, and the new type of storytelling focused on couples vs. relationship and family just doesn't appeal to me. I'm fine if it appeals to others, but I miss what I used to love.

When Deidre left in 1987, I was heartbroken. I couldn't imagine watching without her. But I had grown to love Roman. I loved his family, Shawn, Kim, Kayla, and I loved their interaction. I stayed because that family mattered to me. I loved watching Roman as a single father to Carrie. I loved Kim/Shane and enjoyed Steve and Kayla, plus other characters like Mike, Jennifer, Tom, Alice, Calliope. Victor was a great bad guy who was fun to watch. Because I grew to love Carrie, I was particularly into the Sami/Carrie fight over Austin years later, although I changed sides and wanted Carrie with Mike after all that.

Drake's Roman becoming John again practically killed me, but I came to love it more that the Brady's 'adopted' him. It was even more special to me for that reason. Shawn and Caroline seemed to have unlimited love to go around. I loved Marlena being torn by the love for John that was never really addressed and her feelings of morality and loyalty to family and Roman. Believe it or not, I actually liked WN's Roman as John's friend and as a good solid husband with integrity to Marlena. I never wanted him just killed off to make it easy for John and Marlena to get together. I loved all these complex relationships. I never thought of not watching unless John and Marlena got together. I just rooted for them for all I was worth. Every little scene with Johna And Marlena got to me. I agonized with Marlena every step of the way as she struggled between John and Roman because I struggled too. I loved Roman and the Brady's. Marlena and John loved them. I was rooting the wrong way, but I couldn't help myself. There were so many people involved throughtout, Abe caught in the middle, steadfastly loyal to all of his friends, and hurting for them, Sami annoyingly devoted to Roman, Carrie being more sensitive to all sides, the Brady family dealing with betrayal of people who they'd adopted into family.

Without the family issues, the John and Marlena story wouldn't have been the same to me. I don't know if I'd have been as attached if Marlena had just done what I wanted and divorced Roman and hooked up with John as they seem to do with younger couples nowadays. Sure it was painful, but the journey itself was fun. I enjoyed the moments getting there. It seems no one enjoys the moments getting there anymore. Everyone just wants a couple to be there. Then we have to switch couples because once a couple is together, they're boring.

Days is just not the same anymore. I don't have a problem with the actors, but I miss the family and relationships that I used to watch for. I enjoyed John this year perhaps more than I have in recent years, but I hated that Caroline turned on him and we didn't even get a scene. I hated the way Marlena was written, and I hated how everyone seemed so isolated. I loved Bo talking John into not killing himself in Ireland. One of my favorite scenes of the year. I've always loved Bo's friendship with John. But then, it just turned to disdain and we really didn't see much Bo, Hope, Caroline, Abe, Kayla interaction with John or Marlena. Where was Caroline for her? She was always the voice of love and reason. I miss Shawn terribly. Nothing has filled that void. Nothing to do with the actors or potential. The stories just don't reach me the way they used to. The potential is there, the actors still have that amazing chemistry, we get some really great 'scenes', but the heart of the story just isn't there for me. The most frustrating thing to deal with has been my feelings that it COULD be so good.

But when I say it could be so good, good is my definition. It seems many/most prefer the newer focus, so John and Marlena being let go just signals that it's time for me to give up because I'm in the minority. I won't really miss Days as it is now. Logically, I know I'm actually better off. But when I see fun scenes like life with John, Marlena, Ej, Sami, and Rolf at the Dimera mansion and Anna worried about helmet hair while saving Marlena, and when I see dramatic scenes like Kayla telling John off at the hospital, Stefano confronting a helpless Marlena in the hospital, and John empowering Marlena when Stefano calls her out at the Dimera mansion, my heart just contracts at the relationships that I'm losing.
Edited by Kyrai, Dec 28 2008, 12:26 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Gilbert
Dec 28 2008, 03:16 AM
What is the big deal about someone announcing something on a message board. A message board is a place to post messages and as long as it is pertinent to the subject of the board or forum just let it be.

It is a proven fact that people connected to the soaps read the boards so stuff like that needs to be there so they can see.

And for that matter the best part of a message board is that EVERYONE can express an opinion. If you don't like it you don't have to take the time to read it and why in the hell waste precious time responding to something when you could have just let it go instead of starting a big discussion about what a person posts and doesn't post.

They do have just as much right to post their message as you do yours.

:soapbox:

End Rant
Ad naseum, though? I've seen people get bashed on this board for being POSITIVE about the show. (teasing them about being positive is one thing...bashing them is another) Tit for tat. And, discussion takes place when people have experienced something. Some people come on discussing (read: bashing and criticizing) the show purely from the spoilers and other people's discussions. And over and over and over......and DRAMATICALLY, like the whole state of the union will collapse if they quit watching.
And it's not as if the whole "tune out" idea hasn't been brought up before. I've seen SO many posts in the past with folks threatening to boycott the show if so-and-so isn't together or if they do this or if they don't write the show this way.This isn't exactly revolutionary.
As for watching for years and feeling the characters are like family: I agree. But, when you get new members of the family come in, do you shun them and write them off, or try to include them and give them a chance? When old workers at your workplace leave and others come in, do you try to work with them or shun them because they're new?
Characters come and go on TV shows all the time. I grew attached to Eugene and Don and Marie and Laura and old Mickey and yes, Alice. I thought Mike Horton was awesome. I grew to love Mimi.They're gone. I find new characters to take their places. And right now, Bo and Hope and Steve and Kayla are on, infrequently as it seems. Victor is still around. There are Tony sightings. I watch for Ari's acting. EJ is a familiar character now. I think Theo is cute. I still like Philip. There's enough to make me happy.
And, yes, I know you can't be forced to like someone. That's fine. It's the over-the-topness that gets a little nuts. But, then again, we watch soaps, so I suppose we're used to over-the-topness and drama. :D
And, when it comes to the point if and when I want to quit the show, I'll probably say "I've been losing interest. " Period. I'm not going to wail and gnash my teeth and threaten to call the President to bring in the National Guard.

Pretty In Pink

Days should keep Drake on the show, but keep Deidre away for good.

Gilbert
Member Avatar
I'm just like snow... I get laid

But that's you. And that is fine. That is the way you feel and there is not problem with that. But there is also no problem with the way others feel and the way they post.

I always find it funny that most people feel like they should be able to post whatever way they want when it comes to what they want to discuss but think they have the right to tell others how to post.

So what if someone posts ad nauseum about how bad a show is. If it bothers you then ignore it. That is what the ignore feature is for. Don't try to tell them how to post and what to post.

Everyone has a right to post their opinion and their feelings whatever they may be on a messageboard. I have a big problem with people that go negative all the time too but I also have a bigger problem with people who are positive about shows all the time. It gets so old to hear let's be positive since we might now have the show around much longer. Or lets not be too critical and just be happy with what we have while it is still here - as if you are supposed to put up with crap just for the sake of having a show still on.

But they have the right to post that and I have the right to ignore it.

I don't watch Days - never have. My Mom did and my boyfriend did and does at times still. I can't stand the show. I have tried to watch it a few times but I don't find anything in it even to be remotely entertaining. But I do with General Hospital but many on the Internet don't. I happen to like the mob stuff but it is rare to find anyone who does. But taht is fine - let them post about whatever they want. It doesn't interfere with my watching and enjoying it.

It just gets old to go to messageboards where discussion is supposed to be free and open and see people trying to tell people what they can or should post.

Ellie

Ladyofthelake, I guess you and I have a fundamental disagreement on this. To me, on a soap board, anything soap-related can be a major event! That's what we're here for! We come here to discuss soaps, so if we feel strongly about something, this is the place for it. It's not like we're steering our discussions in 'real life' to topics like Dena Higley.

And also, about your analogy "When old workers at your workplace leave and others come in, do you try to work with them or shun them because they're new?" - my answer to that would be, some employees have such an attachment to the people who leave that they leave with them, and they follow them to a new workplace. I've seen that happen at many workplaces when a higher-up leaves - and I think, to continue your analogy, that's what many of Deidre's fans plan to do, no matter where her new workplace is.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Well, I think message boards are fair game. Just as someone has the right to be truly devastated about ending their viewership of a show and IMO making it become an "event," I have the right to comment on it lol It seems strange to me. Just like it seems strange to people that I could possibly enjoy the show right now lol And believe me, I have been told that! ha However, again, soaps impact viewers more than any other genre does I think. And if Soaps were smart, they would be able to capitalize on the intense connection viewers feel to their favorite characters. And for the record, I think it's a mistake to let Dee go; Drake is a different story lol As much as I know people love the John and Marlena love story, I just personally feel there is so much more potential for a single Marlena. I was watching some Marlena scenes from like 1981 on You Tube. It's only then that you realize just how much history leaves the show with her.

nancyhan77
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 28 2008, 12:24 PM
Quote:

^^ Well I didn't see it exactly that way, but about the power of soaps - that's it! I agree. I wish 'TPTB' would understand that as well as we all do here. The characters really are like family to us, and it is traumatic in a way when a favorite character leaves. If Ken Corday had half of the passion for Days that many of the fans do, the show would be in much better shape than it's in now.
Isn't that the truth. DAYS especially still has so many passionate fans, unfortunately not many in charge are able to care as much as we do.
That is certainly the truth and why fans feel the need to be "dramatic" or announce to others on boards who may indeed feel the same way they do. For validation. For solidarity. For sympathy. And yes, for the passion.

Soaps are different from sitcoms, drama's and other TV specials. Where else do you get to see children grow to adults (Sami, Belle, Carrie). Where else do you see young love grow to supercouple love 20 years later (Bo & Hope). Where else do you see couples fight enemies, devils, and ex's just to be together (J&M and S&K). Where else do you see people grow old and eventually go away (Tom and Alice Horton, Shawn Brady). If you don't get caught up in those things in the soap you watch, you should stop watching because that is what soaps used to do...

That is why it is so easy for some of us to simply stop watching now, because some of the above is missing.
Who do you want to see grow from children to adulthood? The invisible Ciara? Theo?
Who do you want to see grow from young love to super love? Max and one of his cousins?
Who can stand down odds like enemies, the devil, and brainwashing? EJ and Nicole? Lucas and Chloe?

Soaps are not the same, neither are fans, but fans should not be put down for being passionate about a show that provided an alternate reality for some for 20+ years. [/quote]Such good posts.

I love both DHs. I know I won't be watching after the 23rd, but it's not just because two characters are leaving. Yes, I adore them, and they are the only reason I watch now, but it's not because I don't want to be entertained by Days. The writing has just changed over the years, and the new type of storytelling focused on couples vs. relationship and family just doesn't appeal to me. I'm fine if it appeals to others, but I miss what I used to love.

When Deidre left in 1987, I was heartbroken. I couldn't imagine watching without her. But I had grown to love Roman. I loved his family, Shawn, Kim, Kayla, and I loved their interaction. I stayed because that family mattered to me. I loved watching Roman as a single father to Carrie. I loved Kim/Shane and enjoyed Steve and Kayla, plus other characters like Mike, Jennifer, Tom, Alice, Calliope. Victor was a great bad guy who was fun to watch. Because I grew to love Carrie, I was particularly into the Sami/Carrie fight over Austin years later, although I changed sides and wanted Carrie with Mike after all that.

Drake's Roman becoming John again practically killed me, but I came to love it more that the Brady's 'adopted' him. It was even more special to me for that reason. Shawn and Caroline seemed to have unlimited love to go around. I loved Marlena being torn by the love for John that was never really addressed and her feelings of morality and loyalty to family and Roman. Believe it or not, I actually liked WN's Roman as John's friend and as a good solid husband with integrity to Marlena. I never wanted him just killed off to make it easy for John and Marlena to get together. I loved all these complex relationships. I never thought of not watching unless John and Marlena got together. I just rooted for them for all I was worth. Every little scene with Johna And Marlena got to me. I agonized with Marlena every step of the way as she struggled between John and Roman because I struggled too. I loved Roman and the Brady's. Marlena and John loved them. I was rooting the wrong way, but I couldn't help myself. There were so many people involved throughtout, Abe caught in the middle, steadfastly loyal to all of his friends, and hurting for them, Sami annoyingly devoted to Roman, Carrie being more sensitive to all sides, the Brady family dealing with betrayal of people who they'd adopted into family.

Without the family issues, the John and Marlena story wouldn't have been the same to me. I don't know if I'd have been as attached if Marlena had just done what I wanted and divorced Roman and hooked up with John as they seem to do with younger couples nowadays. Sure it was painful, but the journey itself was fun. I enjoyed the moments getting there. It seems no one enjoys the moments getting there anymore. Everyone just wants a couple to be there. Then we have to switch couples because once a couple is together, they're boring.

Days is just not the same anymore. I don't have a problem with the actors, but I miss the family and relationships that I used to watch for. I enjoyed John this year perhaps more than I have in recent years, but I hated that Caroline turned on him and we didn't even get a scene. I hated the way Marlena was written, and I hated how everyone seemed so isolated. I loved Bo talking John into not killing himself in Ireland. One of my favorite scenes of the year. I've always loved Bo's friendship with John. But then, it just turned to disdain and we really didn't see much Bo, Hope, Caroline, Abe, Kayla interaction with John or Marlena. Where was Caroline for her? She was always the voice of love and reason. I miss Shawn terribly. Nothing has filled that void. Nothing to do with the actors or potential. The stories just don't reach me the way they used to. The potential is there, the actors still have that amazing chemistry, we get some really great 'scenes', but the heart of the story just isn't there for me. The most frustrating thing to deal with has been my feelings that it COULD be so good.

But when I say it could be so good, good is my definition. It seems many/most prefer the newer focus, so John and Marlena being let go just signals that it's time for me to give up because I'm in the minority. I won't really miss Days as it is now. Logically, I know I'm actually better off. But when I see fun scenes like life with John, Marlena, Ej, Sami, and Rolf at the Dimera mansion and Anna worried about helmet hair while saving Marlena, and when I see dramatic scenes like Kayla telling John off at the hospital, Stefano confronting a helpless Marlena in the hospital, and John empowering Marlena when Stefano calls her out at the Dimera mansion, my heart just contracts at the relationships that I'm losing. [/quote]

:hail: Kyrai, I agree with everything that you've said!! I've been watching Days since about 1973 and I'm leaving on the 23rd for the same reasons that you stated, it's just not the story telling that I've been used to. While I'm glad to see B&H, S&K, D&J , Victor, Caroline and Maggie are still on the show, their storylines just are not enough to keep me watching. I'm not into incest and I'm not into some doctor getting it on with his patients! And, in my opnion, the characters that I care most about who are staying (see aforementioned names) are being used as background material, not foreground material and I'm just not interested! If the writers had been able to write for these characters and given them strong plot lines, I might have continued staying on as a viewer, as is, I'm not interested and DnD leaving are just the excuse I need to bow out of this show also. I will keep up with the scoops, just to see if anything good is happening to any of the above people, but, I don't think I'll be watching just to see Doug and Julie come to town looking like Uncle Sam and Betsy Ross, what a waste of talent!!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm not one to judge because I've been overdramatic about things too LOL.

I see the point of the thread (although I doubt ratings will tumble or help the situation for Days if they should go down, if anything you get more cuts) but I guess what I think people take issue with, and I do myself to an extent, is the starting a thread and feeling the need to broadcast it when someone can just go into the 2009 preview thread or any Days thread and just say I'm done watching and voice their reasons why. The tone comes off a little pouty, like a child in a candy or toy store not getting their way and throwing a fit to make their displeasure known. Not saying this is what the original poster or others intended but it comes off that way to some.

I totally get the sentiment of Days characters feeling like family. That is how I feel and why I enjoyed the Christmas episodes so much. It's like celebrating with family. However, times change and characters have been coming in and out for years. I ask again, how do you think people felt in the 80's and 90's when their faves were shoved aside for others who became the very faves people are upset about losing now? I ask this because some have already been in this boat and, in the future, others will be too. I recognize for some, their faves are why they watch. I don't understand watching a show for one or two people (I mean, just watch clips on youtube or something LOL) but that's a personal preference. I also recognize once their faves leave, fans may tune out. Again, that is fine and a personal preference. However, for some, we've accepted that that this kind of things happen. Some, including me, feels it has to happen and that it's long past due. I think Days made it even harder because they waited so long, We all got so used to the status quo that the adjustment will be much more difficult for those who continue watching then it was in the 80's and 90's.

It sucks but things change. Circumstances change. I feel horrible for the fans who are sad and losing so much enjoyment. I hope things get better for them somehow but I also hope things work out for the show as well.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Yes, things change. I guess for me, as a general rule, I don't tend to get all that upset about anyone leaving in part because I'm used to turnover in my favorite teams. David Robinson is and always will be my favorite Spur, but he retired in 2003 and he's never coming back, period, end of story. I didn't stop watching the team then and I won't stop watching when Tim, Tony and Manu retire, even though all the guys I originally fell (platonically) in love with are gone. I watch LSU football even though obviously, college teams have frequent turnover. My devotion, if you want to call it that, is to the teams as a whole.

That being said, this situation is a little different. I don't blame anyone a bit for not watching if their favorites are gone. If Philip, EJ and Nicole all left tomorrow I'd quit watching because the show has deteriorated to the point where I do not enjoy watching it as a whole and those are pretty much the only three characters I have any interest in. I watch EJ and Nicole, and Philip when he's not anywhere near Melanie, which almost never happens these days. The rest . . . meh. I don't care about it. If John and Marlena fans don't see anything worth watching if they're not on, I can totally understand that point of view. I don't see why anyone should feel loyalty to the show as a whole if the show as a whole sucks (or, even if it doesn't). It's just TV and when it becomes more irritating to watch it than not watch it, then I totally understand not watching it. And I totally understand it complaining about it on the boards. Maybe not ad infinitum, but for some period of time that seems perfectly natural to me.

Ellie

Hi, just to make one point, any thread on the show is allowed here. We of course want to encourage discussion on this board, and to that end, any board member can feel free to start a thread for his/her ideas or opinions about the shows. As long as there isn't already a thread on the same topic, and the thread is within the rules, it is appropriate for this board. However, that said, this is not a 'fan board' for any actor, character, or couple, and anyone who starts a thread should realize that there will be people posting in the thread who do not necessarily agree with his or her opinions.

Tim, to respond directly to your post, I don't think the Days weekly discussion thread (not this week's, in any case) nor the 2009 SOD preview thread cover this poster's idea, so I don't see it as redundant.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 29 2008, 06:34 PM
Hi, just to make one point, any thread on the show is allowed here. We of course want to encourage discussion on this board, and to that end, any board member can feel free to start a thread for his/her ideas or opinions about the shows. As long as there isn't already a thread on the same topic, and the thread is within the rules, it is appropriate for this board. However, that said, this is not a 'fan board' for any actor, character, or couple, and anyone who starts a thread should realize that there will be people posting in the thread who do not necessarily agree with his or her opinions.

Tim, to respond directly to your post, I don't think the Days weekly discussion thread (not this week's, in any case) nor the 2009 SOD preview thread cover this poster's idea, so I don't see it as redundant.
I'm glad you said that, Ellie.

I'm not saying the poster can't start a thread like this. I was just stating why some may take issue with it and why some may react to it the way they do. As I said in my post, I'm not one to judge LOL.

Ellie

No problem at all Tim. I just wanted to make it clear to everyone (and my post was not only in response to yours) that threads like that are more than welcome here.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Dec 29 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not one to judge because I've been overdramatic about things too LOL.

I see the point of the thread (although I doubt ratings will tumble or help the situation for Days if they should go down, if anything you get more cuts) but I guess what I think people take issue with, and I do myself to an extent, is the starting a thread and feeling the need to broadcast it when someone can just go into the 2009 preview thread or any Days thread and just say I'm done watching and voice their reasons why. The tone comes off a little pouty, like a child in a candy or toy store not getting their way and throwing a fit to make their displeasure known. Not saying this is what the original poster or others intended but it comes off that way to some.

I totally get the sentiment of Days characters feeling like family. That is how I feel and why I enjoyed the Christmas episodes so much. It's like celebrating with family. However, times change and characters have been coming in and out for years. I ask again, how do you think people felt in the 80's and 90's when their faves were shoved aside for others who became the very faves people are upset about losing now? I ask this because some have already been in this boat and, in the future, others will be too. I recognize for some, their faves are why they watch. I don't understand watching a show for one or two people (I mean, just watch clips on youtube or something LOL) but that's a personal preference. I also recognize once their faves leave, fans may tune out. Again, that is fine and a personal preference. However, for some, we've accepted that that this kind of things happen. Some, including me, feels it has to happen and that it's long past due. I think Days made it even harder because they waited so long, We all got so used to the status quo that the adjustment will be much more difficult for those who continue watching then it was in the 80's and 90's.

It sucks but things change. Circumstances change. I feel horrible for the fans who are sad and losing so much enjoyment. I hope things get better for them somehow but I also hope things work out for the show as well.
Great post, Tim. :)

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 28 2008, 01:43 PM

And, when it comes to the point if and when I want to quit the show, I'll probably say "I've been losing interest. " Period. I'm not going to wail and gnash my teeth and threaten to call the President to bring in the National Guard.
:cheer:

I don't understand the need for all the drama, or the repeated seeking of "validation" with people announcing they're not going to watch anymore if they don't get X, Y and Z. Or when they wish for a house to drop on Corday and Higley. If we don't watch, I'm sure we can find other fulfilling ways to spend our time. :)

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Jamey on Daytime Confidential suggested that viewers not watch DOOL if they want to get rid of Dena Higley because the only way they will let her go is if the ratings drop.

Kyrai

Ellie
Dec 28 2008, 01:59 PM
Ladyofthelake, I guess you and I have a fundamental disagreement on this. To me, on a soap board, anything soap-related can be a major event! That's what we're here for! We come here to discuss soaps, so if we feel strongly about something, this is the place for it. It's not like we're steering our discussions in 'real life' to topics like Dena Higley.

And also, about your analogy "When old workers at your workplace leave and others come in, do you try to work with them or shun them because they're new?" - my answer to that would be, some employees have such an attachment to the people who leave that they leave with them, and they follow them to a new workplace. I've seen that happen at many workplaces when a higher-up leaves - and I think, to continue your analogy, that's what many of Deidre's fans plan to do, no matter where her new workplace is.
I have a slight variation of the analogy, and I think it fits how I feel with Days.

I changed jobs back in May of this year. I'd been with my prior company for 18 years. The company decided to outsource, and a dear friend I had worked with for years warned me to get out just before she retired because she couldn't rubber stamp what was coming. I loved that job, I loved the people I worked with co-workers, users, bosses, everyone. I looked for a job and was fortunate to get out before they replaced a majority of the staff with outsourced staff.

I have friends who are still there who are absolutely miserable working insane hours (they don't get overtime either) struggling to keep afloat. They contact me often to discuss how bad things have gotten.

Do I hate the contractors who have no idea what they are doing and are just doing the job they are paid to do? No, not at all.

Do I hate that the company didn't understand what they had and have hurt it because outsourcing sounded good on paper? Yes.

Do I hate that friends I've worked with for 18 years are suffering. Yes.

Do I think that eventually things may work out? I genuinely hope so for my friends sake, and I wish things would go back to the way they were because I miss my friends, and the job I used to love, and would like to go back if things were better. But I don't trust that things will ever get better. I was asked to come back and even knowing how insane it was to even think of going back, it was hard to say 'no'.

I miss my friends and what I used to do. Sometimes even when you are doing what's best for you, it hurts like hell knowing times have just changed and there's no going back. It helps commisserating with others.

The new actors on Days are not the problem, nor the vets. Days itself is (for me). My friend retiring is analogous to J&M leaving. 'Get out while you can!' But it doesn't mean I don't wish things were different.
Edited by Kyrai, Dec 30 2008, 10:06 AM.

hops
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 30 2008, 10:04 AM
I have a slight variation of the analogy, and I think it fits how I feel with Days.

I changed jobs back in May of this year. I'd been with my prior company for 18 years. The company decided to outsource, and a dear friend I had worked with for years warned me to get out just before she retired because she couldn't rubber stamp what was coming. I loved that job, I loved the people I worked with co-workers, users, bosses, everyone. I looked for a job and was fortunate to get out before they replaced a majority of the staff with outsourced staff.

I have friends who are still there who are absolutely miserable working insane hours (they don't get overtime either) struggling to keep afloat. They contact me often to discuss how bad things have gotten.

Do I hate the contractors who have no idea what they are doing and are just doing the job they are paid to do? No, not at all.

Do I hate that the company didn't understand what they had and have hurt it because outsourcing sounded good on paper? Yes.

Do I hate that friends I've worked with for 18 years are suffering. Yes.

Do I think that eventually things may work out? I genuinely hope so for my friends sake, and I wish things would go back to the way they were because I miss my friends, and the job I used to love, and would like to go back if things were better. But I don't trust that things will ever get better. I was asked to come back and even knowing how insane it was to even think of going back, it was hard to say 'no'.

I miss my friends and what I used to do. Sometimes even when you are doing what's best for you, it hurts like hell knowing times have just changed and there's no going back. It helps commisserating with others.

The new actors on Days are not the problem, nor the vets. Days itself is (for me). My friend retiring is analogous to J&M leaving. 'Get out while you can!' But it doesn't mean I don't wish things were different.
Very nicely said. I feel the same way.

Mason
Member Avatar

phloeishot
Dec 30 2008, 02:02 AM
Jamey on Daytime Confidential suggested that viewers not watch DOOL if they want to get rid of Dena Higley because the only way they will let her go is if the ratings drop.
Believe me, if I were a Nielsen viewer, I would stop watching. I want Higley out on her ass so badly I can taste it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply