Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for wk of January 12th; **UPDATED 1/8*
Topic Started: Dec 30 2008, 11:11 PM (16,651 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Well, it happens. I can see why it bothers people. It's not even so much the airtime as the usage. She sometimes appears twice in a segment and she ends the show nearly everyday. It's bordering on the same thing as Theresa on Passions. I always understood that because the show became built around her but it still was annoying.

Melanie got flack too and, eventually, they toned her down. They will Nicole too. I think once we get past the point of her getting a baby, they will pull back a bit and someone else will be on pretty much everyday.

It's funny though. EJ is on just as much as Nicole but no one complains about him LOL. James Scott has seen excessive airtime since he debuted in May 2006 (the exceptions being January 2007 and February and March of 2008).
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 31 2008, 03:17 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ginababe
BANNED

EJ might be on nearly every day, but he is not in every segment like Nicole, they have him taking conference calls or dealing w/ client.. He's become background noise, and it's pissing me off!

cjknick
Member Avatar

ginababe
Dec 31 2008, 03:35 AM
EJ might be on nearly every day, but he is not in every segment like Nicole, they have him taking conference calls or dealing w/ client.. He's become background noise, and it's pissing me off!
IA - James is on alot (and I am happy about that) EJ is like Nicole's prop. At least with Sami, EJ seemed like he was an equal player in their storyline - with Nicole it's pretty much about Nicole with EJ as her side kick. And they dumbed the character down too. James is not like a lead actor in this s/l but more like supporting character in the Nicole show.
Edited by cjknick, Dec 31 2008, 08:15 AM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

:puke: I think that is the new DR phrase of the year "EJ being dumbed down". I think it is in every damn thread as he has been "dumbed down" since January. I don't even know what it means anymore.
It has as much of an effect as "EJ lost his balls". :blah:

ETA: And the "Nicole show" is kicking ass! We finally have an actress who is worth a damn, with an intresting story, and a hot guy in love with her. I can wait for the fallout!!! Its better than we have had all friggin year!!!
Edited by Alligato, Dec 31 2008, 10:02 AM.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for the spoilers Angie.

Cranky Victor is just all kinds of awesome. I love him. :wub2:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

EJ and Nicole confronting Victor? :wub2: Love all three! I'm not sure I'd call Victor my snugglemuffin, LOL, but I do love him.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Alligato
Dec 31 2008, 10:00 AM
:puke: I think that is the new DR phrase of the year "EJ being dumbed down". I think it is in every damn thread as he has been "dumbed down" since January. I don't even know what it means anymore.

ETA: And the "Nicole show" is kicking ass! We finally have an actress who is worth a damn, with an intresting story, and a hot guy in love with her. I can wait for the fallout!!! Its better than we have had all friggin year!!!
IMO some people feel he has been "dumbed down" because he doesn't realize, despite many clues and hints, that Nicole is no longer pregnant and has a large piece of rubber stuffed under her shirt.

And I'm thinking some people feel he has "lost his balls" because he just blindly accepts whatever cock and bull stories she feeds him. For example, the scene that put it over the top for me was when Dr. Baker show up at the Dimera mansion, at night, for an "exam". He and Nicole head up to her bedroom alone and apparently EJ doesn't think this is a strange occurrence.

With that being said, I understand it needs to be this way to further the plot. But that doesn't mean it can't bug me as an EJ fan, especially if it comes across as EJ being written this way to make Nicole look smart and crafty.

pnelsen

Under all of this pressure, Nicole should have started drinking again. I really don't think the writers are doing that good of a job with Nicole.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

pnelsen
Dec 31 2008, 10:59 AM
Under all of this pressure, Nicole should have started drinking again. I really don't think the writers are doing that good of a job with Nicole.
They showed her about to take a drink or at least contemplating it the other day when EJ interrupted her.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

ginababe
I don't really understand why you are complaining. James has been on non-stop since he joined the show in 2006. He has been front and center in several storylines and just because he isn't in this you're angry? Doesn't make sense.

aimees76
Member Avatar

Alligato

:rockon: :cheer: :cheers: :applause: :hail:

aimees76
Member Avatar

Oh, and thanks for the spoilers Angie!

Looking very much forward to Ejole/Victor!!

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

This is a "NICOLE" SL w/EJ playing playing a supporting role- at least right now. But when the reveal about all the things that both Nicole and Sami have done to him come to the surface, then the tables will turn.
This is fine with me because the SL is well developed and the actress is giving us what the audience needs to be invested in the character. People love, hate, are sad, happy- emotions that make people want to watch!
I'm just glad that Sami is in WP because I could see her screaming incessantly during this whole SL if she wasn't. With her being isolated to a couple of characters- and she has no real "enemy" to yell at, then she's tolerable.
As for the "dumbing" down of EJ. Well, this is a SL, people need to give the writers a chance to establish it and I dont consider him being dumbed down. He's distracted w/work and his new responsibilities w/Stefano. He does get suspicious, but Nicole is smart and her excuses can be believable. The one thing that bothers me? Why hasnt she asked Dr Baker to make up a sonogram pic for her to take to EJ?
Liz
Edited by Liz<3Days, Dec 31 2008, 12:51 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Alligato

Apparently, Alligato, he only gets dumbed down by and is only propping when he's with certain broads. ;)
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 31 2008, 12:55 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

mbdimera
Dec 31 2008, 10:28 AM
Alligato

IMO some people feel he has been "dumbed down" because he doesn't realize, despite many clues and hints, that Nicole is no longer pregnant and has a large piece of rubber stuffed under her shirt.

And I'm thinking some people feel he has "lost his balls" because he just blindly accepts whatever cock and bull stories she feeds him. For example, the scene that put it over the top for me was when Dr. Baker show up at the Dimera mansion, at night, for an "exam". He and Nicole head up to her bedroom alone and apparently EJ doesn't think this is a strange occurrence.

With that being said, I understand it needs to be this way to further the plot. But that doesn't mean it can't bug me as an EJ fan, especially if it comes across as EJ being written this way to make Nicole look smart and crafty.
And EJ was just full of brains when Sami flouted around in that tent dress right before she went into that so-called witness protection program. I thought a guy as savvy as EJ would realize tent dresses aren't exactly in vogue now? Again, I say the brainless ball-less EJ was happening before they put him with Nicole. It had to happen to make him palatable enough for the Bradys. And I mean brainless as in good old common sense when it comes to women. Any guy who kept hanging on for Sami's "I love you. No I love Lucas. No, I love myself" is about one doughnut short of a dozen.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

^agree!!!
I thought EJ has been dumbed down before he got together w/Nicole! Granted I didnt watch the first half of Days because I got bored, but the crap he took from Sami (and Lucas) come on- the EJ that came on canvas wouldnt of taken it!
With the merry go round that was "I want Lucas but now I want EJ" crap, you would at least think that EJ would have had sex w/someone else to spite Sami, but he took all that crap that Sami shoved at him! And why are you w/this person???
If people dont like him w/Nicole- that's fine- but the character of EJ would have moved on with someone on the show!
Liz

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

cjknick
Dec 31 2008, 07:38 AM
ginababe
IA - James is on alot (and I am happy about that) EJ is like Nicole's prop. At least with Sami, EJ seemed like he was an equal player in their storyline - with Nicole it's pretty much about Nicole with EJ as her side kick. And they dumbed the character down too. James is not like a lead actor in this s/l but more like supporting character in the Nicole show.
I don't think so.

EJ is leading this story just as much as Nicole, just like he's no more dumbed down then he was with Sami. At least he's had suspicions and can now live the way he wants to live. He lied down and died EVERY single time with Sami. She controlled him. With Nicole, as he said yesterday, he can live the way he wants.

I don't even care who EJ ends up with. I'm just pointing out that EJ is on just as much as Nicole and that he's been dumbed down long before Higley or Nicole.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 31 2008, 02:03 PM
I'm just pointing out that EJ is on just as much as Nicole
Oh, I meant to reply to your post earlier about that. I was thinking about it, and I think it's because EJ is a calm, cool person. When characters like Nicole or Melanie or Sami are on frequently, it gets kind of loud, lol. (I'm saying that even because of the writing, not necessarily the acting, because I think Ari plays Nicole like that only when it's written that way.) I don't think it's a man/woman distinction, because I think if Lucas were on every day, we'd hear about that too. But when a calm character is on almost every show, it doesn't grate on viewers' ears and make them want to reach for the FF button.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oh, I meant to reply to your post earlier about that. I was thinking about it, and I think it's because EJ is a calm, cool person. When characters like Nicole or Melanie or Sami are on frequently, it gets kind of loud, lol. (I'm saying that even because of the writing, not necessarily the acting, because I think Ari plays Nicole like that only when it's written that way.) I don't think it's a man/woman distinction, because I think if Lucas were on every day, we'd hear about that too. But when a calm character is on almost every show, it doesn't grate on viewers' ears and make them want to reach for the FF button.
That's cause guys don't turn on the waterworks on soaps, and if they do, it's a single, Emmy-nominated tear, LOL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 31 2008, 02:08 PM
PhoenixRising05
Eh...I have trouble with that logic. Just hit the mute button LOL.

It just seems like the complaints of EJ being dumbed down and Nicole being on so much are primarily coming from EJAMI fans and the issue I have with that is that EJ was just as dumbed down before Nicole and EJ has been on just as much as Nicole. Regardless of whether some characters are more annoying at times then others, the point is that last year people complained about Sami and this year it's Nicole but EJ never seems to get complained about. Hell, he beat Ari this year in rankings and was right under Ali last year. I would say he needs to be given a rest too. The man hasn't had one at all for most of his run.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply