Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Interview with Blake Berris; Jan 13th issue; Article Summary.
Topic Started: Dec 31 2008, 11:29 AM (1,869 Views)
Ellie

SOD interviews Blake Berris in this week's issue.

Berris tells SOD that he knew at the end of September that he was being fired. Gary Tomlin told him that his character is the killer, he'd have a big story, "and then basically it's over." Berris says he thought, "Sweet!", because he was playing his "dream role" and that "if you're going to out, there's not a cooler way to go out."

Berris also says that he'd always known that Days was not where he wanted to be forever and that his goal was not to be a soap star, but that soaps offer a "boot camp" type of training where the actor needs to "learn how to deliver with not much time."

The other actors didn't know right away that Berris was fired. Berris and Rachel Melvin were on the phone one night right before they did the scenes before Nick goes to jail, so he told her then. He told Molly Burnett right before Melanie visited Nick in jail. Berris says he was very "manipulative" about when to tell people - "I tried to calibrate them for the scene."

Berris hopes to do some indie films "or cool guest stars" next. He's always liked playing "darker characters", and he'd like to do something "a little more edgy, a little more out there." He says the last few months have been very exciting, and it's made him excited for what's to come.

Berris' last air date is January 15th, and he relates that on his last tape date, it was a "great day", and "people came up to me and said some really beautiful things to me."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

So his last air date is January 15? I wonder if we'll even see him before then. I thought I remembered that's when we'll see Judge Fitzpatrick so I guess he'll get a brief and crappy sendoff. Not unexpected since we've barely seen him since he's been in jail.

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

aimees76
Member Avatar

:wub2: God, I love him. :wub2:

He is sheer awesomeness.
DAYS is stupid for letting him go, but I suppose he would have left soon, anyway. I really look forward to seeing what he does next.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

I think no matter what, Blake was going to be leaving soon...Like he said in the interview-he did not want to be a soap star forever.

I'm going to miss him though...Get a better Job Blake, you deserve it!

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie...

Blake's a class act! He will do well and I am sure he will be nominated for an Emmy - he may just win it!

Ellie

You're welcome, everyone. Wonder if it was Tomlin's decision to fire him. Tomlin doesn't seem to like people who can act, hmm? In any case, Berris does sound happy, and I think he has a bright future ahead of him.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

It's possible they knew he had itchy feet anyway and would probably lose him, especially after his little recurring role on The Starter Wife. I don't worry about him at all, especially now since it doesn't appear there will be a strike.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I'm glad Blake is happy in leaving (I mean, the way they have backburnered him for so long, who can blame him?) but I do hate it was at the expense of the Nick character. It's been great stuff for BB to work through but I just hATE HATE HATE that Nick's legacy will end up like this. Since his arrest they could have worked on it more, allow BB to show even more range and allow a split personality to come through, then send him off to a psych ward. I'm sure that his last airdate will be basically "bye" stuff.

And why the show didn't recongize the talent they had with him this whole time I don't know. RM is quite talented too, but why the show devotes so much attention to DB who has only a fraction of BB's talent (and doesn't have much of a following either) astounds me. Max has been on the show for years and if MBs are to believed, I think people would have just been fine watching Max leave as Trent's killer.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Dec 31 2008, 01:09 PM
It's possible they knew he had itchy feet anyway and would probably lose him, especially after his little recurring role on The Starter Wife. I don't worry about him at all, especially now since it doesn't appear there will be a strike.
Probably. I always felt they had that feeling about Ashley Benson too, which is why they gave Melvin more material. I think it had more to do with Nick being a Hogan character. I just think he was so unique that only a writer like Hogan could take care of him and protect his integrity as a character. I don't think Higley could nor did she have an interest in doing so. I think Ed Scott was the reason he was kept in the first place. Notice the minute he is gone, Nick is gone. I think that is why the whole "Nick is psycho" thing came out of nowhere. Dena and Gary both agreed on axing him so they moved on it once they came together.

I'm glad he got something to play, as rushed and out of the blue as it was. I do have some issues with it but at least he went out with a bang and not some boring, quiet exit. He seems to appreciate that and I'm glad in a way it happened since he seemed he wanted to bolt at some point anyway.

King
Member Avatar

He has a good attitude. I won't miss Nick. I never got the character. Never clicked with him.

Never like Berris either, but he has been impressing me with this storyline.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I love how Berris knew back in September, right around the time everyone else knew that Nick was going to be the killer, that he was going to be the killer. Fans knew this and called that Berris would be fired right afterwards. But there were still those optimistic fans that argued, and said that Berris has a huge story ahead of him, meaning that he's not going anywhere. They were certainly proved wrong.

I'm sad to see Berris go, but after what he said about him not wanting to be on the show forever, it helps the blow of his exit. I'll be sad to lose the talented actor and the unique character, but if Berris doesn't want to be on DAYS, then I don't want him on DAYS. And there's nothing wrong with him wanting to move on. I can understand his reasoning. DAYS is a sinking ship. He probably feels that it's best to jump early than later.

KellyGHFan

I am sad Blake is going. I loved Nick with Melanie. I had to keep asking for a stalker storyline for Melanie and I got my wish, they made Nick into a psycho Stalker. Stupid Me!!!

Melanie and Nick could have been the next big thing to come. Molly and Blake had some cute chemistry going on.

I hope Blake well, maybe he will end up on the CW maybe on 90210.

Of Course Gary Tomlin would get rid of Nick cause he isn't your typical soap character.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 31 2008, 12:28 PM
You're welcome, everyone. Wonder if it was Tomlin's decision to fire him. Tomlin doesn't seem to like people who can act, hmm? In any case, Berris does sound happy, and I think he has a bright future ahead of him.
I'm sure it was Tomlin that told Thaao it's not always about talent.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Ellie
Dec 31 2008, 11:29 AM
SOD interviews Blake Berris in this week's issue.

Berris tells SOD that he knew at the end of September that he was being fired. Gary Tomlin told him that his character is the killer, he'd have a big story, "and then basically it's over." Berris says he thought, "Sweet!", because he was playing his "dream role" and that "if you're going to out, there's not a cooler way to go out."

Berris also says that he'd always known that Days was not where he wanted to be forever and that his goal was not to be a soap star, but that soaps offer a "boot camp" type of training where the actor needs to "learn how to deliver with not much time."

The other actors didn't know right away that Berris was fired. Berris and Rachel Melvin were on the phone one night right before they did the scenes before Nick goes to jail, so he told her then. He told Molly Burnett right before Melanie visited Nick in jail. Berris says he was very "manipulative" about when to tell people - "I tried to calibrate them for the scene."

Berris hopes to do some indie films "or cool guest stars" next. He's always liked playing "darker characters", and he'd like to do something "a little more edgy, a little more out there." He says the last few months have been very exciting, and it's made him excited for what's to come.

Berris' last air date is January 15th, and he relates that on his last tape date, it was a "great day", and "people came up to me and said some really beautiful things to me."
Thanks for posting.

the show should have focused on BB than DB. At least Nick is only related to the Hortons. Max really has no romantic future on the show except for his nieces. BB is an excellent actor. He'll do well elsewhere. At least they didn't kill Nick off.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Sindacco
Dec 31 2008, 03:17 PM
Ellie
Yes! It's about being pretty! lol

I think BB is way more attractive than DB. DB does nothing for me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Dec 31 2008, 03:17 PM
Ellie
Yep.

And I was one of those fans Drew talked about being optimistic but I had reason to be. Up until August, I thought Nick was a goner. He had no story whatsoever. Then they seemed to be setting up Chelsea/Nick/Melanie but once Tomlin joined, that seemed to be tossed aside and now it makes sense why. I didn't think Nick was intended to be the killer before but I do now that I know what went down. This is why I wait to judge until after everything plays out and we hear what went down. Now that we do know, I can say those that I disagreed with concerning Nick back then were right. Back then, I couldn't because I didn't know how it would unfold and what was going on. There is nothing wrong with trying to be optimistic and I think there was reason to be.

I still wouldn't say fans knew Nick was the killer. I still remember when Angie posted the spoilers and it was revealed and MANY were shocked. Right off the bat, everyone thought it was Trent's buddy who wanted money from him. I think suspicions were aroused around the time Nick began drinking and got that DUI. That was when people began to speculate he could be the killer because they had all but dropped the triangle with him, Chelsea, and Melanie by that point.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

DrewHamilton
Dec 31 2008, 03:03 PM
I love how Berris knew back in September, right around the time everyone else knew that Nick was going to be the killer, that he was going to be the killer. Fans knew this and called that Berris would be fired right afterwards. But there were still those optimistic fans that argued, and said that Berris has a huge story ahead of him, meaning that he's not going anywhere. They were certainly proved wrong.
Oh I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that being responsible for someone's death on this show meant they were automatically out. I mean, it's not like anyone else has ever paid for such acts before and in some cases even worse. What was the point in laying groundwork for why Nick did it if they were just going to throw the key away? No, all this does is proves Dena is a hack and Tomlin prefers other things to talent.

I would love to know what beautiful things were said to him by other actors though.
Edited by Tripp, Dec 31 2008, 03:51 PM.

KellyGHFan

Tripp
Dec 31 2008, 03:42 PM
DrewHamilton
Oh I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that being responsible for someone's death on this show meant they were automatically out. I mean, it's not like anyone else has ever paid for such acts before and in some cases even worse. What was the point in laying groundwork for why Nick did it if they were just going to throw the key away? No, all this does is proves Dena is a hack and Tomlin prefers other things to talent.

I would love to know what beautiful things were said to him by other actors though.
Well Tomlin strucked gold with Molly Burnett. Not only she is cute and beautiful but she is also a great actress, IMO she is the best actress on the show but I guess that is just the #1 fan in me. LOL

jam6242
Member Avatar

I'm glad that Blake is o.k. with leaving but I am sorry to see him go. I thought Nick and Melanie were really cute when they first met.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

KellyGHFan
Dec 31 2008, 04:09 PM
Tripp
Dec 31 2008, 03:42 PM
DrewHamilton

Well Tomlin strucked gold with Molly Burnett. Not only she is cute and beautiful but she is also a great actress, IMO she is the best actress on the show but I guess that is just the #1 fan in me. LOL
Just curious: Whatever happened to your #1 fandom with Shelley Hennig? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply