Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dallas (1978)
Topic Started: Jan 1 2009, 03:51 PM (2,750 Views)
CodeBlazeNuke
Member Avatar

i love this show intell they done the whole shower scene to bring back Bobby from trhe dead and acted like the year he was gone didn't happen that just bad writing right there.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Love Dallas too! One of these days, I'm gonna trek my ass up to Southfork, since I live only about 4 hours or so away.

Michael Baldwin
Member Avatar
EE fan

Beside Dynasty, Dallas was one of the best primetime soap operas.

First eight seasons were excellent.

Su Ellen, for me, was one of the best soap characters ever.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

I`ve decided to finally start watching. On Season 1 now. Love Pam! I can`t stand Lucy though, what a scheming little whore.

Gwennie
Member Avatar

Marathon is on CMT right now! Love the 1st season!

I love when Sue Ellen is forced to sing in her bathing suit and sash...the way she stares down JR and Ray shows she will be a force!

KMan101
Member Avatar

The early seasons are soooo good. Early Pam is even better. I really didn't love later Pam. Pam was presented as a much more formible foe for JR. Did anyone know that it was supposed to be a love triangle between JR and Bobby with Bobby being the not so great brother?

Gwennie
Member Avatar

Yeah, early Pam was way better....she came off a little to above everyone else in later seasons, rather than the flawed heroine in the first couple.

And ewww about the triangle....I can't see that at all!

Mason

I really only liked Pam a lot in the first season. She became too wimpy after that.

Mason

I'm almost finished re-watching Season 8 (9 on DVD) aka the "dream season"...and it's been painful. It's even more ludicrous than I remember it being. The emphasis on the women, the preposterous Angelica Nero storyline that never made any sense and belonged on Dynasty, the pointless emeralds in Colombia business, Ray/Donna and the deaf kids (commendable but so out of place on Dallas), J.R. inexplicably falling back in love with Sue Ellen overnight, Jenna needlessly floating around all season as Priscilla Presley demonstrated what a terrible actress she is...as ridiculous as making the entire season a dream was, at least it wiped out so much nonsense.

Drew
Member Avatar

I didn't mind the Dream Season actually, and I definitely preferred the Sue Ellen of that season to what they did with her before and after. The awful shift back to stories from a year earlier killed the show for me.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Drew
Jun 25 2011, 12:41 AM
I didn't mind the Dream Season actually, and I definitely preferred the Sue Ellen of that season to what they did with her before and after. The awful shift back to stories from a year earlier killed the show for me.
Really? I hated Sue Ellen of Season 8 (the dream season). In making her "stronger", they pretty much erased all the things about her that made her interesting.

I'm re-watching the season after the dream, Season 9 (DVD 10), and I don't remember it being so bad. Not Dream Season-bad, but still, bad. The two main arcs of the season (Wes Parmalee and B.D. Calhoun) were idiotic and felt so amateurish as if they had been written by a fourth grader.

The Wes Parmalee storyline had some good moments, but that's all they were. Moments. Brief and fleeting. The J.R. of the earlier years would have had him taken care of, and the only reason that I could have bought as to why he didn't is that there was some small part of J.R. that believed Wes could have been Jock (even though it should have been obvious to everyone based on Steve Forrest's much-too-refined portrayal that he wasn't). Unfortunately that's not how either the writers or Hagman played it. Don't even get me started on the climax of the story when Wes, for no apparent reason at all, admitted the truth to Miss Ellie OFFSCREEN(!) before disappearing. That couldn't have been a more sloppy, unsatisfying payoff if the writers had tried. And why didn't the aftermath (what little there was) of this story create more of a rift between Clayton and Miss Ellie? Why didn't Clayton direct his anger at Miss Ellie for her feelings for an imposter? Instead he huffed and puffed about Wes for an episode or two before forgetting the entire thing ever happened. Ultimately, what was the point of this storyline? Terrible, terrible writing.

And this B.D. Calhoun shit is even worse. It's every bit as cartoonish as that Angelica Nero nonsense was in Season 8. In fact, it's basically a more masculine version of that story. The last episode I watched was the climax of that story and it was legitimately one of the worst DALLAS episodes I've ever seen. Watching Larry Hagman run around a train for what felt like forever while having a shootout with Calhoun seriously made me cringe. Everything about this storyline was terrible from it's absurd beginning to its over-the-top ending, to the laughable acting and the atrocious writing. Even the musical cues used in this story were terrible! The whole thing felt like DALLAS spoofing DALLAS spoofing James Bond. Ugh.

I have about 10 episodes left. At least I know they can't be any worse. How on earth did I like this season the first time I saw it?

Mason

I'm trying to finish re-watching the series before the new show starts. I'm almost done, but my God. The later seasons were generally terrible, but this final season is somehow even worse than I remember it being. The nonsense in Paris with Susan Lucci, J.R. in the looney bin with the insultingly cartoonish patients, Bobby cavorting with beach bimbos half his age, J.R. being completely neutered, more of the James/Michelle pukefest carrying over from the previous season, way too much out-of-character behavior and all these irrelevent nothing-y characters played by people who can't act filling up the canvas....it's just unwatchable. I can't pay attention to what's going on on my TV for more than a few minutes at a time before mentally checking out. Thank God it's almost over.

leah09
Member Avatar

Dallas is one of my all-time favorite shows. I could watch the first 5-6 seasons over and over and over. When I start to lose interest is after Jock's Will is read. IMO, the show was never the same after his death. I didn't mind The Dream Season and I loved that Bobby was coming back, no matter how they worked it. But once it was known that Victoria Principal was leaving, it took all the air out of the following season. I did enjoy the J.R./Cally interaction in later seasons but I agree with Mason, most of the rest of it was terrible.

Oh, and no matter how much I tried to hate Jenna Wade (being a huge Bobby/Pam fan), I just couldn't hate Priscilla Presley's version. She was just so soft-spoken and lovely...damn her LOL! But it pissed me off that they totally rushed Bobby and Pam's reunion and then he was squashed by that nutty sister.

Mason

leah09
May 31 2012, 09:44 AM
Dallas is one of my all-time favorite shows. I could watch the first 5-6 seasons over and over and over. When I start to lose interest is after Jock's Will is read. IMO, the show was never the same after his death.
Oh, I couldn't disagree more with this. I think Jock's will and the resulting contest for Ewing Oil between J.R. and Bobby was the greatest story Dallas ever told. It completely revitalized the show which had gotten stale post-Who Shot J.R.? and gave Dallas what, IMO, were its peak years, 1982-1984.

Quote:

Oh, and no matter how much I tried to hate Jenna Wade (being a huge Bobby/Pam fan), I just couldn't hate Priscilla Presley's version. She was just so soft-spoken and lovely...damn her LOL!

Are you sure you're not confusing "soft-spoken" with "monotonous"? ;) I'd take Morgan Fairchild's one episode as Jenna over Presley's five years in a heartbeat.

leah09
Member Avatar

Oh yeah, "The Contest" (not to be confused with the great Seinfeld one LOL).
I began rewatching all the episodes the past few months and that's were my mind starts to wander...or maybe it's just too much Ray and Donna ;) OR Clayton and Ms Ellie??

I do see your point with Morgan Fairchild's version over Pricilla's. She was different and not sweet at all. They totally redid the character when they hired PP, which wasn't for the best IMO. They needed Jenna to be evilish. I guess I just took a liking to her because of the actress, I don't know if we were supposed to or not?? ...until she hooked up with Ray Krebbs, of course ZZzzzzzz.

btw, I totally skipped over the eps with the middle, unknown actress, Jenna...I'll have to go back and watch them one of these days.

Mason

leah09
May 31 2012, 11:22 AM
I do see your point with Morgan Fairchild's version over Pricilla's. She was different and not sweet at all. They totally redid the character when they hired PP, which wasn't for the best IMO. They needed Jenna to be evilish. I guess I just took a liking to her because of the actress, I don't know if we were supposed to or not??
I think we were supposed to like Jenna but still root for Bobby and Pam to be together. IMO, Jenna should have been neither a heroine nor a vixen, but more of a bitchy, spitfirey 'grey' character, neither completely good nor completely bad. And I feel like Presley's vanilla portrayal of Jenna bore no resemblance to the wild child back story the show established for the character (and which they continued to do even while Presley was in the role). Only Fairchild's edgier portrayal gelled with the character's pre-1978 history and with what the character should have been.

Mason

Re-watching the mini-series, I realize just how much I actually prefer the original (Box) ranch to the traditional iconic Southfork. It has a southern gothic vibe that I love, and it's almost plausible that these people would all live together here where the house has a more expansive "mansion-y" look as opposed to the comparatively tiny Duncan ranch.

And, while I know it wouldn't have been feasible to do so, I wish the show could have continued to film in Texas during the winter in addition to the summer. It's unintentional since the crew hadn't expected it, but the harshness of the Texas winter supplements the figurative coldness of the mini-series episodes really nicely.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Mason
Jun 6 2012, 09:49 PM
Re-watching the mini-series, I realize just how much I actually prefer the original (Box) ranch to the traditional iconic Southfork. It has a southern gothic vibe that I love, and it's almost plausible that these people would all live together here where the house has a more expansive "mansion-y" look as opposed to the comparatively tiny Duncan ranch.
It also made much more sense for each of the couples to have their own separate living spaces, rather than having them all live in the main house together.

Mason

Casey
Jun 7 2012, 02:02 PM
Mason
Jun 6 2012, 09:49 PM
It also made much more sense for each of the couples to have their own separate living spaces, rather than having them all live in the main house together.
Exactly. I liked that about it too.

Meanwhile, I still love Julie Grey! Another character killed off way too soon.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

In my opinion, Dallas was its best from Season 1 (DVD, including mini-series) through Season 6 (DVD), particularly seasons 1-3. The show was at its best when it had well-written female characters who didn't just sit around and watch their husbands like they often did in later years. Pam would definitely fall into that group. Sue Ellen was also at her most damaged around season three and was one of the more interesting and complex characters on the canvas. Anyways, I stopped watching the show after Linda Gray left in the twelfth season. It didn't feel worth it anymore and the quality of the show had severely fallen by that point.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply