Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dallas (1978)
Topic Started: Jan 1 2009, 03:51 PM (2,943 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Casey
Jun 7 2012, 07:15 PM
In my opinion, Dallas was its best from Season 1 (DVD, including mini-series) through Season 6 (DVD), particularly seasons 1-3.
For me, 1982-1984 (Seasons 6 and 7 on DVD) was Dallas's zenith. For me, those two seasons were the most fun, and the all-encompassing Jock's Will/Contest for Ewing Oil saga that played out over the course of those two seasons was the show's best storyline.

Quote:

The show was at its best when it had well-written female characters who didn't just sit around and watch their husbands like they often did in later years.

I liked Pam working (moreso at The Store than at Barnes-Wentworth), but I hated the attempts to make Sue Ellen 'strong' and 'powerful' starting around Season 9 or 10 (DVD) just because Linda Gray wanted to play some sort of feminist role model, even though it wasn't who Sue Ellen was at all.

Quote:

Sue Ellen was also at her most damaged around season three and was one of the more interesting and complex characters on the canvas.

Sue Ellen was great in the early seasons, but around 1983 or 1984, I feel that the character had run her course and should have been written out. Unpopular opinion, I know, but one that I stand firmly by.

For me, the last passable season of Dallas is Season 8 (on DVD)/1984-1985. That's when the weaknesses in the writing really started setting in (the awful Donna Reed miscast as Miss Ellie that year didn't help) and from that point on, almost every season was progressively worse than the one that came before it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Sue Ellen Shepard Ewing: Tell me, J.R., which slut are you going to stay with tonight?
JR Ewing: What difference does it make? Whoever it is has got to be more interesting than the slut I'm looking at right now.

I was listening to the radio and they played the clip with that line,easy to see why JR would have so many people wanting to kill him back in the day.

BillieD
Member Avatar

Mason
Jun 7 2012, 02:16 PM
Casey
Jun 7 2012, 02:02 PM
Mason
Jun 6 2012, 09:49 PM
Re-watching the mini-series, I realize just how much I actually prefer the original (Box) ranch to the traditional iconic Southfork. It has a southern gothic vibe that I love, and it's almost plausible that these people would all live together here where the house has a more expansive "mansion-y" look as opposed to the comparatively tiny Duncan ranch.
It also made much more sense for each of the couples to have their own separate living spaces, rather than having them all live in the main house together.
Exactly. I liked that about it too.

Meanwhile, I still love Julie Grey! Another character killed off way too soon.
Julie Grey :wub:

I loved the episode where Jock and Julie become BFFs, shopping and dining together. When Miss Ellie finds out, she invites Julie to Southfork to discuss their interest in each other and Julie goes on to say that they keep each other company, and they listen to each other when the other people in their lives are too busy and also "our relationship is not what you thought it was". And Miss Ellie listens intensely and says calmly "No Julie, it's far more serious". :rockon:

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

BalscoFan5
Jun 20 2012, 09:35 PM
Sue Ellen Shepard Ewing: Tell me, J.R., which slut are you going to stay with tonight?
JR Ewing: What difference does it make? Whoever it is has got to be more interesting than the slut I'm looking at right now.

I was listening to the radio and they played the clip with that line,easy to see why JR would have so many people wanting to kill him back in the day.
omg LOVED that line so much!!! i watch a clip from YT where someone gathered all jr's finest moments.!!!! that was like two days ago!ever since then ive been in love with jr and sue ellen hence my avatar hahaha!!!!

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

I'm beginning to re-watch some of the later seasons (the bad years) on DVD now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Cliff's daughter is Rebecca on the updated Dallas series. Oh and does anyone remember if Cally and James ever slept together? I remember they were close (conspiring to put JR in the sanatorium), but not sure if they ever went there with them.
Edited by Shick, Jun 23 2012, 01:26 AM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Hmm. I don't remember. I somewhat block out the later seasons for some reason LOL. I thought they did but I really don't know.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

I remember an episode of the miniseries where two husbands bent on revenge (for JR and Ray having sex with their wives) hold people hostage and make Sue Ellen wear her pageant regalia while singing "People who need people"! That episode wasn't a high water mark.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Jun 29 2012, 04:39 AM.

Poker Face
Member Avatar

started to watch the show today im already on season 2 :D oh man bobby/pam were sweet but so boring....i would rather see more of jr/sue ellen's twisted relationship lmao so much more entertaining. YES

Poker Face
Member Avatar

WOO-HOO almost DONE with S4 :cheer:

i FUCKING love JR and Sue Ellen's complicated/twisted relationship!

Bobby and Pam are so boring :drunk:

so RELIEVED that as the show progressed Dallas SWITCHED their focus from B/P to JR/SE smart move! they bring the drama! IMO hell yes! :rockon:

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

I watched Dallas for the first time with my mom, when danish tv would air reruns in the mid 90's.

I LOVE early years of Bobby & Pam so much! They're so sexy and touchy with each other! Hated that they would later divorce and find other relationships (Mark & Jenna), but it did create some wonderfully angsty scenes, friendships scenes and then reconciliation scenes between them. My heart was over the moon when Bobby showed up at Pam's house in Swan Song, and declare his love for her...., but then morning came and tragedy happend...ugh, for the next season (dream), I would still look for Patrick Duffy in the credits with no luck... They really were the first tv- couple I fell in love with...

JR & Sue-Ellen were truly a force to be reckoned with!! Amazing all around..

Jen
Member Avatar

I grew up with Dallas, but it wasn´t until a few years ago that I got it on DVD and watched every episode. JR´s my favorite - like a cat with 9 lives :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply