Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SON: Days 11,000th Episode on Jan 21st; Charlotte tries to kill J&M!
Topic Started: Jan 4 2009, 10:36 PM (2,692 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jan 4 2009, 11:02 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 4 2009, 10:57 PM
It seems most Days exits in this decade have been rushed. I can't remember the last time Days did some long, drawn out exit. It seems like every writer since SSM writes these quick-ass exits that only last for 2-3 days tops and one day to say goodbye. That kind of BS starts at the top with Corday.
The last big exit I can remember was Mike & Carrie in 1999.

Almost everyone else basically ran out of Salem quick and random and mid scene without packing a thing.
I was thinking that.

In terms of recent exits. J&J got the best but even that was a bit rushed.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jan 4 2009, 11:25 PM
DrewH is dead on.

I'm sure this would have been an eventual outcome, it didnt sound like this role was supposed to be this short, the firing of the DHs rushed Ferguson out the door as well.
Yep. What's even worse is Sandra took it on the chin for the show. She will forever be tied to J&M's exit and all the negativity surrounding it. Not only that but Sandra seemed under the impression that she may stick around. I feel bad for her as well.

I wish we had gotten to see everything unfold. I mean, I'm sure there will be more exits but I'm intrigued by this Charlotte stuff. Why not play this out into at least February? There is no excuse to rush shit like this. It's been happening for too long now. On a show where rewrites and stories get dropped all the time, you mean to tell me they can't effectively change things to give characters proper sendoffs? I don't care who the character is or how long they've been on. This is ridiculous and it's been happening for years now. It's lazy and stupid.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Jan 4 2009, 11:17 PM
Oh and I CANNOT get over how much she looks like Patsy Pease!
Either can I.

I wish they would keep her and hadn't screwed her like this too. I like her.

hops
Member Avatar

I expected nothing for John and Marlena's exist, and it's worse then nothing. Days can always be counted on to underwhelm me with what airs and overwhelm me with their stupidity.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I'm starting to reconsider this departure thing.

It seems like they're doing something slightly different than the usual "we need to reunite with family who got other jobs in London or Africa or whatever." And y'know? Good for them. It's most likely the best they can do.

Also, if John and Marlena leave to protect their safety that'll be the smartest thing they've done in...forever. Murdered twins, perpetually shifting parentage, multiple kidnappings, and now this attempted murder by a random psycho who probably was going to be a recast Kristen (at least I hope so, 'cause otherwise she's just random nonsense)- it's kind of dumb for them to live in Salem still. So finally, they're making a rational, logical decision. Or so it seems.

Stupid not to do something special for the 11k, though.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'd forgotten about J&J's exit - that was atleast decent. Definitely not great, but coming off the last JERk run nothing could be.

I shouldnt have counted Brandt's exit with the others - we actually got to see him board the plane. lol.

But sadly, unless you die(Colin), or are seriously injured(Lucas), you dont get a proper exit anymore. Its not just Days doing this though, alot of shows now seem to be trying to get over actor departures using the bandaid philosophy (rip it off fast and quick). The last show I can really remember paying tribute to an actress departing was B&B and Jennifer Finnigan. Even though she was being recast, she got this great final scene that was purposly written as a goodbye to Jen's version scene.

Ellie

px780
Jan 5 2009, 12:46 AM
It seems like they're doing something slightly different than the usual "we need to reunite with family who got other jobs in London or Africa or whatever." And y'know? Good for them. It's most likely the best they can do.
J&M leave to go to Switzerland to get treatment for John.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I always laughed at that. How no one just moves to another state, its always another country. Like its so easy to just pick up and move to another country you dont have citizenship to.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jan 5 2009, 12:49 AM
I'd forgotten about J&J's exit - that was atleast decent. Definitely not great, but coming off the last JERk run nothing could be.

I shouldnt have counted Brandt's exit with the others - we actually got to see him board the plane. lol.

But sadly, unless you die(Colin), or are seriously injured(Lucas), you dont get a proper exit anymore. Its not just Days doing this though, alot of shows now seem to be trying to get over actor departures using the bandaid philosophy (rip it off fast and quick). The last show I can really remember paying tribute to an actress departing was B&B and Jennifer Finnigan. Even though she was being recast, she got this great final scene that was purposly written as a goodbye to Jen's version scene.
Yep. Lucas' exit actually sucked too. They just used an extra in the hospital bed for weeks and shipped him off. They left the character in limbo, essentially. I think they planned to bring him back though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jan 5 2009, 12:57 AM
I always laughed at that. How no one just moves to another state, its always another country. Like its so easy to just pick up and move to another country you dont have citizenship to.
That is bothersome but it seems like a classic soap thing.

One thing I want to touch on is something Px brought up. I kind of hope Charlotte is Kristen or Ava now. Someone with a connection to J&M. Otherwise, it's just too messy. I guess I kind of hope they try to find some way to keep Charlotte around but I can't see how after this. It seems clear she gets a rushed end as well.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

The extra only got a couple days work. But Lucas had a ton of final scenes with everyone (giving back Will to sami, slapping Kate, sneaking into Will's room to say goodbye) before the fire.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 5 2009, 01:03 AM

One thing I want to touch on is something Px brought up. I kind of hope Charlotte is Kristen or Ava now. Someone with a connection to J&M. Otherwise, it's just too messy. I guess I kind of hope they try to find some way to keep Charlotte around but I can't see how after this. It seems clear she gets a rushed end as well.
Forgive me, lol, but I don't understand how a character who has only been on for a month can have a 'rushed' exit.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 5 2009, 12:01 AM
Exactly - but while that was absolutely insulting to those actors and characters, none of those people were on the show over 20 years, let alone 30. That's one of the things that really gets me about this.
Renee Jones's exits were even worse. Sure she hasn't been on the show for 20-30 years but she has been on since 1993.

Exit 1: She and Tek drove off the road. And we know how cheesy car accidents on Days look, all they do is shake the camera a little.

Exit 2: She and Abe were just in the background during Shawn and Belles wedding.

J&Ms exit at least sounds better, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 5 2009, 12:26 AM
Yep. What's even worse is Sandra took it on the chin for the show. She will forever be tied to J&M's exit and all the negativity surrounding it. Not only that but Sandra seemed under the impression that she may stick around. I feel bad for her as well.
Didn't Sandra say that she thought she would only be on for a few episodes and was suprised when she found out she would be on more?

wkline
Member Avatar

This is so lame!! J&M send off sounds really sucky!! :frustration:

Mason
Member Avatar

Charlotte better fucking not be Kristen. I haven't waited almost ELEVEN years for Kristen to return, only for her to be part of a sloppy rush-job exit for J&M, played by someone other than Eileen Davidson, no less. Hell fucking no.
Edited by Mason, Jan 5 2009, 01:56 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
The extra only got a couple days work. But Lucas had a ton of final scenes with everyone (giving back Will to sami, slapping Kate, sneaking into Will's room to say goodbye) before the fire.
That's true. I guess now it seems better but, at the time, I didn't like how it seemed to leave things in limbo.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Jan 5 2009, 01:11 AM
PhoenixRising05

Forgive me, lol, but I don't understand how a character who has only been on for a month can have a 'rushed' exit.
It's rushed for any character, no matter how long they've been on. It's just messy all around unless there is more purpose to Charlotte or more of a background there.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Jan 5 2009, 01:52 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 5 2009, 12:26 AM
Didn't Sandra say that she thought she would only be on for a few episodes and was suprised when she found out she would be on more?
Yep. This whole thing is one big clusterfuck. The show needs to get some damn stability, This BS is getting real old.

I agree that Renee Jones got some shitty exits. She's just as much a vet and she got treated horribly. Hell, that last one she was a glorified extra.

Kyrai

This is why you should never let yourself hope. You don't get disappointed.

At this point, I really don't care if Charlotte tries to shoot John and Marlena, so long as they survive and are together and leave on decent terms with everyone. I've got my imagination and dvds for good memories.

But I feel extreme sadness that it's ending like this.

I do wish we'd seen whatever story they intended because to me it seems obvious that they did plan (I hesitate to use the word plan) something because of the way they pretty much forced the divorce, and it seems like Charlotte was going to be tied to Marlena's past as a psychiatrist. I've lost faith in the ability of these writers, and I still am annoyed they swapped Charlotte in for Kayla in this story and dropped all the brain cloud pawn stuff as if it never existed. But I never lost hope that they'd somehow give this story some direction. I would have liked to have seen it eventually play out. Of course, I'm also partially relieved because I'm scared at what that story could have been. Still, I'd have rather seen it play out naturally.

I do dislike Charlotte now because she's just in the way, but I did like her, and I would've liked to have seen her as an interloper between J&M, especially if it had something to do with Marlena and her father. That could have been interesting.

2008 is definitely the year of 'could have been' for me.
Edited by Kyrai, Jan 5 2009, 10:34 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply