Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'411mania' interviews Alison Sweeney
Topic Started: Jan 6 2009, 01:13 AM (2,809 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 03:54 PM
Paxton
Jan 6 2009, 03:46 PM
I really don't remember AS propping EJami.
Really? I'm going to have to see if I can dig up the interviews. (Or maybe others here remember.) I do remember her comments about BD that you're mentioning.

(And I'm personally also not a fan of either couple other than that I liked Lucas and Sami's little 'partners in crime' dynamic in the 90's.)
She may have; all I'm saying is, I don't remember it. I used to be an EJami fan up until about a year ago and I can't recall AS ever saying anything that led me to believe she, personally, wanted that pairing, though undoubtedly she tried to sell the story. Then again, I don't subscribe to SOD or SOW and I didn't discover this lovely site :) until, what, six months back? Something like that. So by the time I started posting on DR I was well over EJami.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Paxton
Jan 6 2009, 03:57 PM
Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 03:54 PM
Paxton
I really don't remember AS propping EJami.
Really? I'm going to have to see if I can dig up the interviews. (Or maybe others here remember.) I do remember her comments about BD that you're mentioning.

(And I'm personally also not a fan of either couple other than that I liked Lucas and Sami's little 'partners in crime' dynamic in the 90's.)
She may have; all I'm saying is, I don't remember it. I used to be an EJami fan up until about a year ago and I can't recall AS ever saying anything that led me to believe she, personally, wanted that pairing, though undoubtedly she tried to sell the story. Then again, I don't subscribe to SOD or SOW and I didn't discover this lovely site :) until, what, six months back? Something like that. So by the time I started posting on DR I was well over EJami.
LOL! Got it. I'll see if I can find the interviews I'm thinking of. (And I'm very happy you found this site!)

Kyrai

Paxton
I really don't remember AS propping EJami. I would say she in the past has tried not to commit one way or the other, but she was quite vocal about Bryan Datillo leaving for a few months and that she thought that was a mistake. I wouuld say if anything in the past she seemed to be propping Lumi, possibly because she and BD are good friends and she thought it would help ensure his job security. I can't stand AS, BD, Lumi or EJami, so I personally would be relieved if I never saw another moment of either Lumi or EJami. I can see why AS would be tired of getting stuck in the middle of warring fanbases.
This has been my take too. I can't ever recall her propping Ejami, in fact, I thought she was very much for Lucas. Which was fine always with me so long as they united and left the show.

I don't get why AS fans would be anti-rapist since Sami is one and has done terrible things herself. That seems so odd. I'd think BD fans would think that way, but not AS fans.

fyi - I haven't cared about any of the Sami pairings for quite a while, and certainly don't now. This is just what I remember reading since I've been on boards, but I didn't start visiting boards till this year (maybe June).

Ponz
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 03:40 PM
Alligato
Jan 6 2009, 03:18 PM
AS has always tried to maintain neutrality, and she usually gets shit for it from both sides.
Where you see "neutrality", I see her having tried to have it both ways. I know that both Lumi and Ejami fans have been very upset about past interviews with Ali, where she's heavily promoted one pairing at the expense of the other. I've seen Lumi fans say that Ali has thrown their fanbase under the bus, and I know that especially recently, some Ejami fans have felt the same.

She's never offered more than lukewarm praise for Ejami. I think her fencesitting over the rape is a bigger factor in terms of alienating people. She'd gain more respect across the board if she took a firm position (any position) rather than giving these political non-responses whenever the subject is broached. It's not an issue where "seeing both sides" is a tenable position: either she thinks the story is offensive/destructive to her character or she doesn't.

Ellie

Ponz
Jan 6 2009, 04:24 PM
She's never offered more than lukewarm praise for Ejami. I think her fencesitting over the rape is a bigger factor in terms of alienating people. She'd gain more respect across the board if she took a firm position (any position) rather than giving these political non-responses whenever the subject is broached. It's not an issue where "seeing both sides" is a tenable position: either she thinks the story is offensive/destructive to her character or she doesn't.
That does make sense, and to me (I know you will probably disagree), it actually explains part of why I don't think she's a very good actress. I think she needs to pick an angle in her head and work from there, and I haven't seen her doing that at all. I will 100% grant her that the writers haven't done that either, but I don't think she's playing Sami with any conviction either way.

Regarding her praise for Ejami, I actually found one of the quotes I was thinking of - I think the "they did us a huge favor" is what got me, though you're right, this isn't direct praise for the Ejami pairing. This is from an SOD article in April '08.

"Ironically it was Bryan R. Dattilo's exit that helped along a potential EJ/Sami pairing. 'There's no way they could have done it with Lucas there', notes Sweeney. 'it reminds me of how they had to send Sami away when Austin Peck [ex-Austin] first came on the show so Carrie and Austin could reunite. If Lucas had been there, there is absolutely no way it could have played out that Sami and EJ could get together because it wasn't possible with the circumstances. They did us a huge favor, unfortunately for Bryan. It was horrible to work without him; I missed him tremendously, but it didn't take away from Sami's love for Lucas to have her get close to this guy when she believed Lucas was going to be gone forever.'"

Paxton
Member Avatar

She says that Sami loves Lucas but not that Sami loves EJ, and to me what she's saying is the only way the writers had to make it work was to have Lucas totally offscreen, because otherwise an EJami pairing isn't credible. She reiterates that the only reason EJami happened is she thought Lucas was going to be away forever. At least, that's how I read it; to me what she's saying is she never would have gone to bed with EJ if Lucas had been around.

The "huge favor" part is weird, though; it's the one thing that doesn't quite mesh, for me, with the rest of her comments. It doesn't even really make sense.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I just think it's odd that everyone is speaking for Ali when it obvious that she tries to be very very neutral ... I have noticed that since James is involved in a triangle too he has been very careful not to tip one way or the other. These actors would much rather have fans of their character instead of fans of the couple and or pairing. If you have noticed that James has complimented the actors he is acting with he said very nice things about Ali and Bryan when he was workiing with them .. he just made some nice comments about working with Eric the other day. Ali said nice things about both James and Bryan and now Galen. James is making nice comments about Ari and now Eric ... Are you getting the picture??? To ascribe and project your feelings to what an actors says in an interview if what they say in not clearly spelled out is your interpetation and is called spinning!
Edited by cjknick, Jan 6 2009, 04:50 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar

cjknick
Jan 6 2009, 04:46 PM
I just think it's odd that everyone is speaking for Ali when it obvious that she tries to be very very neutral ...
It isn't obvious to me that Sweeney is trying to be "very very neutral," which doesn't make me stupid. I don't see a problem with discussing and commenting on the remarks she makes in interviews and that doesn't mean anyone is "speaking for her."

Ellie

Paxton
Jan 6 2009, 04:44 PM
She says that Sami loves Lucas but not that Sami loves EJ, and to me what she's saying is the only way the writers had to make it work was to have Lucas totally offscreen, because otherwise an EJami pairing isn't credible. She reiterates that the only reason EJami happened is she thought Lucas was going to be away forever. At least, that's how I read it; to me what she's saying is she never would have gone to bed with EJ if Lucas had been around.

The "huge favor" part is weird, though; it's the one thing that doesn't quite mesh, for me, with the rest of her comments. It doesn't even really make sense.
I understand what you're saying... I think though that her tone might have been that she wanted an Ejami pairing, but Lucas (Bryan) got in the way, hence the "huge favor". Her example is Carrie and Austin, who were the 'rooting couple', and Sami got in the way.

Obviously we can't get in her head though lol - it's all just our guesses as to what she meant!

Ellie

cjknick
I just think it's odd that everyone is speaking for Ali when it obvious that she tries to be very very neutral ...
I don't think I'm speaking for her - my opinion is that as I said in the first post, she hasn't exactly tried to be neutral, and I'm trying to back that up with examples. Saying she's "neutral" is just as much an opinion about her interviews as my viewpoint is.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jan 6 2009, 04:50 PM
cjknick
It isn't obvious to me that Sweeney is trying to be "very very neutral," which doesn't make me stupid. I don't see a problem with discussing and commenting on the remarks she makes in interviews and that doesn't mean anyone is "speaking for her."
I never called it stupid I just think that people try to read between the lines and dream up an interpetation of what they think the actor is trying to say. I have read many interviews that Ali has given and she is very professional and basically stays as neutral as possible ...

Ponz
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 04:38 PM
Ponz
Jan 6 2009, 04:24 PM
That does make sense, and to me (I know you will probably disagree), it actually explains part of why I don't think she's a very good actress. I think she needs to pick an angle in her head and work from there, and I haven't seen her doing that at all. I will 100% grant her that the writers haven't done that either, but I don't think she's playing Sami with any conviction either way.

Regarding her praise for Ejami, I actually found one of the quotes I was thinking of - I think the "they did us a huge favor" is what got me, though you're right, this isn't direct praise for the Ejami pairing.
I think that was just a poor choice of words. She was trying to convey that they did the Ejami pairing a huge favor sidelining Lucas but it came out as if they'd done her and JS a big favor. lol. I'm pretty sure that wasn't her intent.

Ellie

cjknick
Jan 6 2009, 04:55 PM
I have read many interviews that Ali has given and she is very professional and basically stays as neutral as possible ...
lol I think we just posted at the same time, but that's your opinion of her interviews, which is fine. I have a different view, which is what I was trying to explain.

Ellie

Ponz
Jan 6 2009, 04:57 PM
I think that was just a poor choice of words. She was trying to convey that they did the Ejami pairing a huge favor sidelining Lucas but it came out as if they'd done her and JS a big favor. lol. I'm pretty sure that wasn't her intent.
Ok... what do you think about the Carrie/Austin example though?

Paxton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 04:52 PM
Paxton
Jan 6 2009, 04:44 PM

I understand what you're saying... I think though that her tone might have been that she wanted an Ejami pairing, but Lucas (Bryan) got in the way, hence the "huge favor". Her example is Carrie and Austin, who were the 'rooting couple', and Sami got in the way.

Obviously we can't get in her head though lol - it's all just our guesses as to what she meant!
Could you refresh my memory? Why did they "have to" send Sami away when Austin Peck came on? My memory of that time is hazy, but I don't remember ever considering Sami a real threat to Carrie and Austin, who were always clearly established as the rooting couple, even though I didn't like them (or at least, I didn't like Carrie). Is she claiming that the audience would only accept Carrie and Austin if she wasn't around? Because that to me is what she's saying: that she, Sami, was a real threat to Austin and Carrie, and that Lucas was a real threat to EJ and Sami, that people wouldn't buy Austin/Carrie or EJami with their respective threats.

I guess I just don't get what her point is because I don't remember that time well enough. I actually think she's overstating Sami's importance to Carrie/Austin, because I always thought of Sami as the bratty too-young interloper whereas Lucas and Sami were already established as a couple (though I didn't like them) before EJ came along.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 04:59 PM
Ponz
Eh, she's drawing an analogy to a specific plot point. I didn't take it to mean Ejami = Carstin and Lucas = Sami. Incidentally, she also compared the fall '07 story to the Jack/Jennifer/Lawrence situation.

Ellie

Ponz
Jan 6 2009, 05:12 PM
Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 04:59 PM
Ponz
Eh, she's drawing an analogy to a specific plot point. I didn't take it to mean Ejami = Carstin and Lucas = Sami. Incidentally, she also compared the fall '07 story to the Jack/Jennifer/Lawrence situation.
Ok, makes sense. (And thank you for your insight as I'm sure you read and listen to many more Ali interviews than I do!) I know however that that interview left some Lumi fans with a bad taste, though I can see what you're saying as well. At the very least, I think we might agree that she has to learn to choose her words more carefully, lol.

Ellie

Paxton
Jan 6 2009, 05:05 PM
Could you refresh my memory? Why did they "have to" send Sami away when Austin Peck came on? My memory of that time is hazy, but I don't remember ever considering Sami a real threat to Carrie and Austin, who were always clearly established as the rooting couple, even though I didn't like them (or at least, I didn't like Carrie). Is she claiming that the audience would only accept Carrie and Austin if she wasn't around? Because that to me is what she's saying: that she, Sami, was a real threat to Austin and Carrie, and that Lucas was a real threat to EJ and Sami, that people wouldn't buy Austin/Carrie or EJami with their respective threats.

I guess I just don't get what her point is because I don't remember that time well enough. I actually think she's overstating Sami's importance to Carrie/Austin, because I always thought of Sami as the bratty too-young interloper whereas Lucas and Sami were already established as a couple (though I didn't like them) before EJ came along.
Is she talking about summer 95? Sami was pregnant and she left town. She arrived back on the day of Carrie and Austin's wedding to announce she was pregnant with Austin's baby (which she wasn't). I completely agree with you though that she's always been the interloper, and that her departure wasn't necessary for the Carrie/Austin relationship.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Ellie - I agree. I think I might have used the word "neutral" in the wrong way. I think that from what I read, AS tries to sell the story she is given...whether it is an attempted EJami pairing or a Lumi pairing...she tries to sell her story...which is what she should do as an actress to get people to tune in.
Unfort, with the way the writing has been, it mostly has her coming off really wishy washy, not sure who she is for...and that ticked off a couple of her fans.

...and for me as an Ejami fan, even when she tried to sell me Ejami storyline, it always felt half ass, as with that previous quote you posted. Like EJami will only work if Lucas isn't there...not much of a supercouple.

And I am not speaking for AS...or even interpreting what she says. I am giving my opinion of what I read in her commentary. What else are interviews for?

Ellie

Alligato
Jan 6 2009, 05:30 PM
...and for me as an Ejami fan, even when she tried to sell me Ejami storyline, it always felt half ass, as with that previous quote you posted. Like EJami will only work if Lucas isn't there...not much of a supercouple.
Oh, that's a very interesting point. Ok, if we have both Lumi and Ejami fans in this thread who are saying that Ali wasn't full-on supporting Ejami, I think that probably has me convinced, lol.

I agree Alligato that she's selling the story, though I think (and maybe it is just her choice of wording), the way she does it leads to half of her fans' being alienated. I remember the "they did us a huge favor" article causing a big stir, especially since she was talking about her costar's being removed from the show for a period of time. Again I don't sympathize with her for having to sell that, but imo there are far more diplomatic ways she could have done that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply