Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'411mania' interviews Alison Sweeney
Topic Started: Jan 6 2009, 01:13 AM (2,774 Views)
ilovemydays

I try not to put too much importance on a single phrase. Mags have been known to misinterpret and fudge a little. For all we know she had spent 10 minutes talking about how the show needed to pick a side already and how tired the three of them were of the EJamicus debacle and therefore, the comment "they did us a huge favor" would mean that the three of them were ready to move on no matter how things went.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Jan 6 2009, 04:46 PM
I just think it's odd that everyone is speaking for Ali when it obvious that she tries to be very very neutral ... I have noticed that since James is involved in a triangle too he has been very careful not to tip one way or the other. These actors would much rather have fans of their character instead of fans of the couple and or pairing. If you have noticed that James has complimented the actors he is acting with he said very nice things about Ali and Bryan when he was workiing with them .. he just made some nice comments about working with Eric the other day. Ali said nice things about both James and Bryan and now Galen. James is making nice comments about Ari and now Eric ... Are you getting the picture??? To ascribe and project your feelings to what an actors says in an interview if what they say in not clearly spelled out is your interpetation and is called spinning!
What if they were "spinning" the other way and were saying Ali was lukewarm about Lumi? Personally, I think your words are a little harsh. It's a discussion and insight into what they think Ali meant. I've seen this done about James quite a bit, too, and other actors.

cjknick
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 6 2009, 06:56 PM
cjknick
Jan 6 2009, 04:46 PM
I just think it's odd that everyone is speaking for Ali when it obvious that she tries to be very very neutral ... I have noticed that since James is involved in a triangle too he has been very careful not to tip one way or the other. These actors would much rather have fans of their character instead of fans of the couple and or pairing. If you have noticed that James has complimented the actors he is acting with he said very nice things about Ali and Bryan when he was workiing with them .. he just made some nice comments about working with Eric the other day. Ali said nice things about both James and Bryan and now Galen. James is making nice comments about Ari and now Eric ... Are you getting the picture??? To ascribe and project your feelings to what an actors says in an interview if what they say in not clearly spelled out is your interpetation and is called spinning!
What if they were "spinning" the other way and were saying Ali was lukewarm about Lumi? Personally, I think your words are a little harsh. It's a discussion and insight into what they think Ali meant. I've seen this done about James quite a bit, too, and other actors.
I guess the actor trying to be vague and impartial is not doing themselves any favors because what they say if left vague could be open to interpretation. So it would be better if they just stated it as honestly as they can and get it out there. Here we are taking a few sentences out of a long article mostly about TBL and her busy schedule and that one plot point has hijacked the article and the discussion.

Ellie

cjknick
Jan 6 2009, 09:18 PM
I guess the actor trying to be vague and impartial is not doing themselves any favors because what they say if left vague could be open to interpretation. So it would be better if they just stated it as honestly as they can and get it out there. Here we are taking a few sentences out of a long article mostly about TBL and her busy schedule and that one plot point has hijacked the article and the discussion.
When I saw the article and decided to post it, I fully expected it would spark a discussion. And, we don't mind at all here if the threads veer off-topic (though imo, this discussion is very on topic). I understand if you don't like these types of discussons, but please respect the wishes of others who would like to discuss these types of points in the article/interview threads. You should always feel free to bring up your own points of discussion in the same threads as well.

Daytime
Member Avatar

Speaking as an Ejami fan, Allison handled it quite beautifully. I know it had to be tough on her doing a storyline of such controversy. I think she handled it in a way that it wouldn't step on any toes. I think the big thing is DOOL writers didn't think of the magnitude on how Ejami had taken off before doing the 12/29 episode. I think that was the whole purpose to that storyline to stir away Ejami fans. I think DOOL writers wanted Sami and Lucas to reunite but they did not realize the popularity of Ejami. Unfortunately for them, 12/29 didn't not work the way they intended it too. Now DOOL has a dilima on what to do about Lumi and EJami fans. So they took both men away from Sami. I can't much blame them though, but I am still hoping for Ejami to be together one day. I just hope once and if it does happen all fanbases can co-exist in peace.

Until then, I guess I will have to deal with Safe. I hope it doesn't turn romantic in anyway but I am enjoying the friendship vibe.

Nicole Walker

10/5/08

“With Lucas, she found a real, adult, mature relationship. Then EJ came along, and he manipulated Sami like she did with Austin.”

Interview from Tulsa World.com

For Ali to compare Ejami to Austin and Sami is like the kiss of death. For her to say that told me how she truly felt about them but a few of her interviews before that and after that giving her personal opinion always favored Lumi at least the ones I read which is why I think she doesn't like Ejami and if she did then something obviously changed.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Jan 7 2009, 01:06 AM.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I kind of get the vibe that James Scott and Ali don't get along all that well. Before anyone goes off on me for saying so, its just a hunch and I could be way off.

James seems THRILLED that EJ is away from Sami and Ali seems THRILLED that Sami is away from EJ. Fun to speculate regardless if it's true or not.

Nicole Walker

^You're not the only one but we could be wrong.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kirk
Jan 7 2009, 01:12 AM
I kind of get the vibe that James Scott and Ali don't get along all that well. Before anyone goes off on me for saying so, its just a hunch and I could be way off.

James seems THRILLED that EJ is away from Sami and Ali seems THRILLED that Sami is away from EJ. Fun to speculate regardless if it's true or not.
Same here. Just like I got a vibe about her and Bryan during the summer but I think they settled whatever was going on soon after.

Nice interivew. More BL then Days though. She does seem to divert from the topic now, doesn't she? That wasn't very subtle. Can't blame her though. She tried to sell it for so long and now when she's escaped that story, she would just rather avoid commenting LOL.

I do like Sami and Rafe. I think things will be much better once the WP story ends and Ali returns from having her baby. All I can say is no more Sami pregnancies EVER!!

cjknick
Member Avatar

Kirk

For awhile it didn't seem like anyone had the warm and fuzzy's for Ali ... as far as James I think he's happy with a change of pace. He seems to really enjoy working with Ari. And it seems like Ali really likes working with Galen again a change of pace. I'm sure actors like a change up ... I get the impression that the actors are aware of the fanbase couple wars but would rather they have fans on their own not just fans for the pairing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

cjknick
Jan 7 2009, 02:14 AM
Kirk

For awhile it didn't seem like anyone had the warm and fuzzy's for Ali ... as far as James I think he's happy with a change of pace. He seems to really enjoy working with Ari. And it seems like Ali really likes working with Galen again a change of pace. I'm sure actors like a change up ... I get the impression that the actors are aware of the fanbase couple wars but would rather they have fans on their own not just fans for the pairing.
Good points.

I think any actor is always up for a change of pace. I think Drake and Dee were and that is why they loved the material they were getting up until around Fall of 2008. First, Dee got to play vengeful Marlena and when Drake returned she got to play off of a new John and Drake got to play, essentially, a new character.

These actors don't want to play the same things over and over and sometimes we all forget that. For as often as many of us complain about predictability and the same old stories over and over, imagine the actors having to play those stories over and over.

FanODays

Kirk

I think both AS and JS have real issues with the rape and then Sami supposedly falling in love with her rapist ESPECIALLY since Sami was raped by Alan years ago.

As for Ali and Bryan, they have been so close for so very long, its not surprising that they have ups and downs in their relationship especially when you factor in all the goings on behind the scenes. I think they both love Sami and Lucas but welcome changes and other couplings. However, I could see a rift forming if she wanted Lumi because she had issues with EJami and he wanted Lucas to move on.

cjknick
Member Avatar

FanODays
Jan 7 2009, 09:36 AM
Kirk

I think both AS and JS have real issues with the rape and then Sami supposedly falling in love with her rapist ESPECIALLY since Sami was raped by Alan years ago.

As for Ali and Bryan, they have been so close for so very long, its not surprising that they have ups and downs in their relationship especially when you factor in all the goings on behind the scenes. I think they both love Sami and Lucas but welcome changes and other couplings. However, I could see a rift forming if she wanted Lumi because she had issues with EJami and he wanted Lucas to move on.
I think any good actor wants to be challenged and in soaps characters/actors can get in a rut if they are paired with the same character/actor for a long time. I think being paired with someone new has got to be refreshing and challenging .... now these actors are also asked to do very intimate scenes with each other and the comfort level could be different the female actors may want to do love scenes with someone they are comfortable with and that they have come to learn to trust .... the males actors may not have that unease and are ok with someone different infact welcome the change. Ali is obviously comfortable with Bryan and I am sure Bryan makes those scenes so easy with his humor defusing the awkwardness of it all. If I were Ali I would find doing those types of scenes with James or any other actor possibly uncomfortable and intimidating. It makes you wonder if Ali thought this would be a good time to get pregnant that would cut down on those uncomfortable love making scenes. I know they are all professional and are no strangers to the sex scenes - but still folks it has to be rather intimidating no matter how many times you do them.

carlypvee

Thanks for posting. Ali defintely comes across as compassionate on BL.

daisy132

I remember reading an old blog of Alison's and in it she mentioned that she is really careful about giving away "spoilers". She said that things change all the time, and that no actor knows for sure what's going to happen, the only way they know for sure is when the script is given to them.

I think that we are the ones trying to find meaning in these interviews. I don't believe that they are even allowed to give things away, at least not the outcome of a storyline. Plus, it seems as though even the writers don't know where they're going for sure.

It's nice that she finds her current storyline refreshing.

Pearly
Member Avatar

NEWSFLASH, ALI! Sami can't stay at the safehouse forever! Eventually, you will be reunited with the rest of the cast deary! Although, reading this interview makes me want you off of the show entirely. Regardless, I haven't watched the show for months and don't plan to anytime in the future. The atrocious acting between Galen and Ali was the major turn off for me and from what I've been reading at DR it seems to be spreading over to the rest of the cast like an infectious disease.
Edited by Pearly, Jan 9 2009, 03:45 PM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 6 2009, 01:13 AM
http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/93786/411Mania-Interviews:-Alison-Sweeney.htm

411Mania Interviews: Alison Sweeney
Posted by Al Norton on 01.06.2009

411mania's Al Norton sits down for an exclusive interview with Alison Sweeney, host of The Biggest Loser and star of Days of our Lives.

Posted Image

Alison Sweeney has literally grown on up your television screen, debuting on Days of Our Lives in 1993 at age 16 after guest spots on shows like Simon and Simon, Webster, and St. Elsewhere. She has played Sami Brady on the daytime drama ever since, winning four Soap Opera Digest Awards as well as a fan-voted Emmy in the process. Along with author and Mother on her resume she has most recently added reality show host; tonight begins her fourth season as host of NBC's hit series, The Biggest Loser. Recently she sat down to talk with us about her career.

Al Norton: You've handled being a Mom, a wife, a lead actress on a daytime show, and the host of a reality show at the same time before, but what's it like juggling all of that while being pregnant?

Alison Sweeney: I try not to add it all up like that. I mean, if I think about all the stuff I have to do – the responsibilities, and time commitments, all at once, it would drive me crazy. So I just try to take it one day at a time, figure out how to get through that day and then move on to the next. I have had a very smooth pregnancy in that my symptoms didn't keep me from working or getting through the tough, long days.

Al Norton: Obviously people's individual stores make the drama fresh each season on the human side of things, but do you think they should ever tinker with the format of The Biggest Loser at all, and if so, are there any changes you would make if you were in charge?

Alison Sweeney: We do change things up every season to keep it fresh, and keep the audience, the contestants and the trainers on their toes. But the truth is, I wouldn't want to deviate too far from the format because our show isn't really about that. What I think keeps the audience coming back for more, and hundreds of thousands of people lining up to become contestants every season, is the core of what the Biggest Loser is about. It's a show that helps people get their lives and their health back and the audience at home goes on that emotional journey with our contestants each season. That's what it's all about and we'd never want to lose sight of that.

Al Norton: Do you think the show has made a difference in terms of the way viewers look at the choices they make every day in regards to their health?

Alison Sweeney: Biggest Loser strives to inform the audience as well as the contestants. We're not trying to hide anything or keep secrets of how to succeed. Bob and Jillian do an incredible job educating each new group of contestants on how to get healthy by guiding them through their nutrition and their exercise. We try to put all that information into the show so that all our viewers can take that knowledge for themselves and it works! I get fans approaching me every day to share their story of how Biggest Loser inspires them to hit the gym more, or to eat a healthier dinner. Some people even pull out old photos of themselves, 100lbs heavier, just because they want me to know what an impact we've had in their lives. It means so much to me to hear those stories.

Al Norton: Clearly we are much more knowledgeable about diet and exercise than we were 15-20 years ago but just as clearly weight is an even bigger issue in our country than it was then. What do you think needs to happen in order to make sure more and more kids aren't growing up overweight?

Alison Sweeney: It is shocking to see that even as we learn more and more about health and nutrition, or country and the world becomes more and more obese. I feel so personally tied to the struggle our country faces with childhood obesity. It is truly horrifying to see the statistics. And obviously, a lot of this problem stems from a lack of awareness with parents not understanding how destructive fast food is to their children's growing, developing metabolisms. Also, especially at difficult times like this, it is extremely difficult for people to afford healthier alternatives. There are so many things making it difficult for parents to help their kids get the nutrition and exercise they need. So I wish I had an easy answer. Obviously raising awareness is a big part of it.

Al Norton: Do you think there could ever be a Biggest Loser: Teens or would that be too big a stage for a young person to deal with?

Alison Sweeney: If we were to do a BL:Teens I think it would be a different show. We do have an 18 and a 19 year old in this coming season, but kids younger than that… well, there are all sorts of other issues to be concerned about.

Al Norton: Can you give us a preview on what we'll see on the new season of The Biggest Loser?

Alison Sweeney: I'm telling you, this new season of Biggest Loser is FANTASTIC. I am so excited for the fans to see the first episode because I know the new contestants will blow them away. It aims right at the heart of why the Biggest Loser is so important and how it is literally saving lives.

Al Norton: We spoke about a year ago and I asked you if you thought a Days of our Lives storyline that had Sami falling in love with EJ, who had sexually assaulted her in the past, was something you would have issues with. Now that we are on the other side of that story, at least for the time being, how do you think it played out on the screen? What kind of feedback did you get from fans?

Alison Sweeney: I have read all sorts of opposing view points on that story. In 16 years on a soap, I've never been part of a more controversial, divisive storyline. And for someone who is always interested in the fans perspective and feedback, it was incredibly difficult for me to try to digest both sides of the argument. In the end, I had a job to do, and I did it the best I could.

Working with Galen is so much fun. I love the newness of it, and that there is no history of any variety with this character. After 16 years in Salem, Sami has baggage with everyone. Lol. So, the Sami/Rafe dynamic is a fun new twist for me. He is a talented actor, who certainly isn't hard to look at, is he??!!

Al Norton: The big story about Days of our Lives right now is the budget cuts, with your longtime co-stars Drake Hogestyn and Deidre Hall being let go. What is the mood on the set?

Alison Sweeney: Drake and Dee are truly remarkable people. It has been such an honor to know them and work with them. My first storyline on the show was with Dee, Drake and Wayne. Even though we've known for a while, I still can't imagine what it will be like not seeing them on set all the time. They will be missed for far more than could ever explain.

Al Norton: You've starred on a daytime soap, hosted a primetime reality show, written a book...what's left on your career to-do list?

Alison Sweeney: Ha!!! A lot! I have several projects I'm working on and very excited about. More to come…

Don't miss The Biggest Loser tonight at 8 pm on NBC
That photo is priceless! :roflol:

Nicole Walker

^*dies*!!! You're good.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Jan 9 2009, 11:39 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply