Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: John Remembers!; Jan. 20th issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Jan 7 2009, 12:45 PM (3,505 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

[Note: SOD and SOW both have articles this week on the John and Marlena story. SOD's article features an interview with Sandra Robinson, and SOW's features an interview with Eric Martsolf. Since the plot points covered in both articles are identical, both articles will be summarized together in this one post.]

Last week John remembered seeing Marlena on the pier, and this week, John's hypnotherapy appointment with Dr. Taylor continues. SOD says he recalls "even more".

However, Charlotte withholds information from John, while meanwhile Marlena learns that Charlotte left her last job under questionable circumstances. Martsolf tells SOW that John is having a breakthrough, but Charlotte "is not letting him know this." After John's session with Charlotte is over, Charlotte tells John that she has determined that hypnosis will not work for him. This makes John discouraged and angry.

John then goes to talk to Marlena, and he tells her he wants a second opinion and calls her "Doc", which makes her think that perhaps the hypnosis did some good. Marlena kisses John, hoping that this will "initiate a breakthrough" as SOD puts it, but his memory doesn't come back.

Marlena then tells Brady that she doesn't trust Charlotte. Brady breaks into Charlotte's office and finds John's session on Charlotte's laptop, and Brady realizes that John's memory is returning.

Charlotte, however, asks John to go away with her, so that he can start his own life without the pressure of having to remember his past life. She tells him the only way to start this new life is without Marlena. John is quickly convinced that going away is a good idea, but he tells Charlotte that he won't leave without Marlena.

Marlena then confronts Charlotte, and they have an argument, which Sandra Robinson tells SOD "is not quite a catfight, but it looks like something that can escalate." Charlotte is furious with Marlena for questioning her methods, so she asks Kayla to intervene. However, while Marlena and Charlotte are in Kayla's office, Brady emails John's session to Marlena. Charlotte then realizes someone has been in her office, and as Sandra Robinson puts it, "it does not go over so well."

At home, Marlena tells Brady that "what he's doing is unethical", says Martsolf. But then Brady sits at Marlena's computer, pulls up John's session, and tells Marlena to just watch what's on the screen.

Martsolf tells SOW that when Marlena watches John's session, "It's a big moment.... she's very emotional, thinking, 'I may get my man back.' She breaks down, and Brady comforts her."

However, Marlena and Brady are both extremely angry at Charlotte. Martsolf says that "Neither of them is going to rest until they get Charlotte. They're going to get revenge together."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

While I'm not sure this is the best way to utilize John and Marlena's remaining screen time, this actually doesn't sound that bad to me. At least I kind of like Brady and Marlena working together. I'm not a John and Marlena fan so this is just coming from my perspective as someone who isn't deeply involved in their story.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 7 2009, 12:45 PM
Please link to DR.

[Note: SOD and SOW both have articles this week on the John and Marlena story. SOD's article features an interview with Sandra Robinson, and SOW's features an interview with Eric Martsolf. Since the plot points covered in both articles are identical, both articles will be summarized together in this one post.]

Last week John remembered seeing Marlena on the pier, and this week, John's hypnotherapy appointment with Dr. Taylor continues. SOD says he recalls "even more".

However, Charlotte withholds information from John, while meanwhile Marlena learns that Charlotte left her last job under questionable circumstances. Martsolf tells SOW that John is having a breakthrough, but Charlotte "is not letting him know this." After John's session with Charlotte is over, Charlotte tells John that she has determined that hypnosis will not work for him. This makes John discouraged and angry.

John then goes to talk to Marlena, and he tells her he wants a second opinion and calls her "Doc", which makes her think that perhaps the hypnosis did some good. Marlena kisses John, hoping that this will "initiate a breakthrough" as SOD puts it, but his memory doesn't come back.

Marlena then tells Brady that she doesn't trust Charlotte. Brady breaks into Charlotte's office and finds John's session on Charlotte's laptop, and Brady realizes that John's memory is returning.

Charlotte, however, asks John to go away with her, so that he can start his own life without the pressure of having to remember his past life. She tells him the only way to start this new life is without Marlena. John is quickly convinced that going away is a good idea, but he tells Charlotte that he won't leave without Marlena.

Marlena then confronts Charlotte, and they have an argument, which Sandra Robinson tells SOD "is not quite a catfight, but it looks like something that can escalate." Charlotte is furious with Marlena for questioning her methods, so she asks Kayla to intervene. However, while Marlena and Charlotte are in Kayla's office, Brady emails John's session to Marlena. Charlotte then realizes someone has been in her office, and as Sandra Robinson puts it, "it does not go over so well."

At home, Marlena tells Brady that "what he's doing is unethical", says Martsolf. But then Brady sits at Marlena's computer, pulls up John's session, and tells Marlena to just watch what's on the screen.

Martsolf tells SOW that when Marlena watches John's session, "It's a big moment.... she's very emotional, thinking, 'I may get my man back.' She breaks down, and Brady comforts her."

However, Marlena and Brady are both extremely angry at Charlotte. Martsolf says that "Neither of them is going to rest until they get Charlotte. They're going to get revenge together."

Thanks Ellie. That does indeed sound good but I wonder when this is all going to happen since they will only have Monday, Jan 19, Tuesday is re-empted for inauguration celebrations, wednesday, Thursday, and then I know friday they get married and leave town.

This is seriously unfair the way they have wrapped this up so hastily!

Ponz
Member Avatar

I like Martsolf but it seems like a waste having so many of Deidre's final scenes with an actor she (and Drake) have worked with for 3 months. IMO, Bo, Maggie, Victor etc. would've been better choices.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Considering the circumstances, I think this is the best that could be salvaged from the little time they are allotting to this story.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Jan 7 2009, 01:03 PM
Considering the circumstances, I think this is the best that could be salvaged from the little time they are allotting to this story.
I agree.

It' still rushed but, surprisingly, it doesn't sound half bad. I like Brady being involved. He's John son. He should be, regardless of how long he's been back. Eric works well with Drake and Dee anyway.

I think they are on what 3-4 days this week? I remember looking at the daily spoilers and seeing J&M in most of them.

Ellie

e83talus
Jan 7 2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks Ellie. That does indeed sound good but I wonder when this is all going to happen since they will only have Monday, Jan 19, Tuesday is re-empted for inauguration celebrations, wednesday, Thursday, and then I know friday they get married and leave town.

Hi, this is for next week, the week of the 12th. Deidre's website says she is on every day.

Ellie

Here are my feelings. First of all, if we pretend for a minute that D&D weren't fired, I think this story sounds terrible. This is a blatant ripoff (imo) of Alex North, which was hardly the most successful story in Days history. In other words, ripping off John/Kristen is one thing, but why copy a story that many felt was poorly written?

But, given that Drake and Deidre were fired, I don't buy for a MINUTE that this was the original story and rewrites weren't possible. In fact, given what Sandra Robinson said in that radio interview, it sounds like this story was constructed around the fact that J&M would be leaving. This leads me to believe that Days had no issue at all putting Drake and Deidre with Sandra Robinson and Eric Martsolf in their last weeks of scenes. Let's look at it this way: The key issue in the story is that John needs to get his memory back within a matter of weeks. That opens up so many possibilities! To me, that's almost the ideal setup if one is forced to pay tribute to two longtime characters. Have Marlena tell John about their past! Have her hypnotize him. Have them go away together to a secluded place where they can try to work things out. Have people from John's past come on to try to jog his memory. Instead, Dr. Charlotte Taylor hypnotizes John, while Marlena, an accomplished psychiatrist, tries her own technique: kissing him. COME ON. If anyone had any doubts that Dena doesn't like the character of Marlena, I think this is your proof.

I think this story is a terrible insult to Drake, Deidre and the Days viewers. Deidre and Drake (and their fans) have devoted years to the show, and the show returns that devotion with this. I find it a slap in the face, and I honestly think the show should be ashamed and embarrassed to put this on the air.

DOOLrox

Ellie
Jan 7 2009, 01:27 PM
Here are my feelings. First of all, if we pretend for a minute that D&D were't fired, I think this story sounds terrible. This is a blatant ripoff (imo) of Alex North, which was hardly the most successful story in Days history. In other words, ripping off John/Kristen is one thing, but why copy a story that many felt was poorly written?

But, given that Drake and Deidre were fired, I don't buy for a MINUTE that this was the original story and rewrites weren't possible. In fact, given what Sandra Robinson said in that radio interview, it sounds like this story was constructed around the fact that J&M would be leaving. This leads me to believe that Days had no issue at all putting Drake and Deidre with Sandra Robinson and Eric Martsolf in their last weeks of scenes. Let's look at it this way: The key issue in the story is that John needs to get his memory back within a matter of weeks. That opens up so many possibilities! To me, that's almost the ideal setup if one is forced to pay tribute to two longtime characters. Have Marlena tell John about their past! Have her hypnotize him. Have them go away together to a secluded place where they can try to work things out. Have people from John's past come on to try to jog his memory. Instead, Dr. Charlotte Taylor hypnotizes John, while Marlena, an accomplished psychiatrist, tries her own technique: kissing him. COME ON. If anyone had any doubts that Dena doesn't like the character of Marlena, I think this is your proof.

I think this story is a terrible insult to Drake, Deidre and the Days viewers. Deidre and Drake (and their fans) have devoted years to the show, and the show returns that devotion with this. I find it a slap in the face, and I honestly think the show should be ashamed and embarrassed to put this on the air.
Co-sign!!!! Wasting screen time on a Marlena clone character when they are shoving them out the door so fast already is just a slap in the face to Days fans. If Charlotte can hypnotize John, Marlena can - it's just stupid. Off the top of my head I can think of several better S/Ls - like those in your excellent post above - that wouldn't take any more time and would be much more meaningful. Higley is such a HACK, and she seems to have hired hacks as well - the dialogue lately REEKS! :angry:

Beth
Member Avatar

I agree; Charlotte is not needed. John and Marlena should be finding their way back together without interference. We don't need someone preventing John from getting his memory back with so little on screen time left.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 7 2009, 01:06 PM
e83talus
Jan 7 2009, 01:00 PM

Hi, this is for next week, the week of the 12th. Deidre's website says she is on every day.
That is slightly better; not good but better than if this was for their last week.

This means that during their last week (January 19) Charlotte gets arrested and....J&M reunite and leave town in four days. Deidre was correct...Lets all watch on January 23, because thats when it all happens.

This is just a hot mess! :drunk:

Tammy
Member Avatar

Well granted this sounds awfully rushed. However if they are on for more then 5 seconds every third segment it might not be too bad lol.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I kind of like it, but IA that it's more the best of a bad situation than an actual good storyline.

The only thing I personally would change is to either swap out Brady for Sami or add her into the mix. I get why that's not possible given Sami's ridiculously lame half-assed story, but thinking of my ideal exit- it would be nice to have her there to resolve the relationship given all she did to keep them apart. Plus it would've been fun to watch Sami scheme again.

Still- for what it is, it's good. Much better than I anticipated. I'll just rationalize that it was too expensive for them to use anyone else but a recent recast and a random psychopath.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

px780
Jan 7 2009, 01:58 PM
I kind of like it, but IA that it's more the best of a bad situation than an actual good storyline.

The only thing I personally would change is to either swap out Brady for Sami or add her into the mix. I get why that's not possible given Sami's ridiculously lame half-assed story, but thinking of my ideal exit- it would be nice to have her there to resolve the relationship given all she did to keep them apart. Plus it would've been fun to watch Sami scheme again.

Still- for what it is, it's good. Much better than I anticipated. I'll just rationalize that it was too expensive for them to use anyone else but a recent recast and a random psychopath.
They already settled the Sami/J&M stuff so not sure about doing that. It would be fun seeing Sami involved. Hell, I could see a chance here to have Steve be the one who breaks in the office since Marlena and Brady are in Kayla's office so I assume perhaps Kayla will be involved. That would be nice and maybe how Bo have visions of danger with Charlotte given what happens next week. Then you bring Bo and Hope into the mix and the 3 supercouples get one last ride together before J&M leave.

I agree that they could've taken this chance to honor the characters a bit over a longer period and not just in the last two episodes, where I'm sure most of the flashbacks and tribute will take place. I mean, sure they have John having some flashbacks Friday and all but they could've started stretching this in December. They had time given when they were fired. It just reeks of them not knowing what to do because Charlotte was on the canvas and I'm sure they thought about it as J&M having one last threat and one last dangerous situation and thought it was fitting. It sort of is but it would've been nice to handle it like they did J&J. That was rushed too but they were very much in their dynamic in their final days and even though there wasn't alot of flashbacks, it felt like a nice tribute overall. This kind of reminds me of that in how rushed it is but it doesn't have the same care and that is not all on Higley. It's on everyone as a team. The writers and Tomlin could've made more out of this or handled it differently. It doesn't sound dreadful IMO but it still is rushed and comes off like the best that can be made out of the way they went about this and that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Whatever the case, I will enjoy it for entertainment reasons and enjoy the flashbacks and their farewell.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

It sounds ok, but this is all so rushed.

Thanks Ellie!

Kyrai

I rather like it. I envisioned far worse.

No I'm not happy that Charlotte succeeds in hypnotizing John where Marlena failed, and there are numerous elements I don't like (John having to get his memory back being key to Marlena loving him), but it sounds like a climactic story.

I like the use of Brady. John won't leave without Marlena. The moment Marlena realizes she might be able to have her John back sounds like it could be wonderful. Sounds like Marlena gets a strong confrontation scene with Charlotte.

I hate that it's super-rushed, and I'd much rather this story happened earlier, so we'd have nice meaningful resolution scenes, but that's just not going to happen. If I ignore the negative and focus on the positive, I like it. Probably because I did envision so much worse because I'm sure KC doesn't really care about J&M's exit.

Edited by Kyrai, Jan 7 2009, 02:18 PM.

Kyrai

px780
Jan 7 2009, 01:58 PM

I can only say 'Thank you God' that Sami isn't in this. It would be the hysterical Sami show.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

I'm a little confused as to why Deidre and Drake weren't interviewed for these articles rather than Sandra and Eric, who when it comes to John & Marlena's farewell story, I could care less about what they have to say.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Let me just start of by saying Dr. Charlotte Taylor = Dr. Alex North. They're essentially the same character and this is the same storyline, aside from the pacing. With Alex, you had Reilly writing and the pacing was very slow, so they could draw out stuff that happened and it didn't seem so rushed. But with Charlotte, Higley's writing and she has a schedule to get this storyline done by because Hall and Hogestyn are leaving, so it's much more fast and she has to get this done so she's speeding things up. Had she been given more time, the similarities would've been even more noticable.

You have John starting to remember his life with Marlena, but Charlotte doing anything she can to stop him from remembering. Same thing happened with Alex and Marlena.

And like Ellie said, if this was not John and Marlena's exit storyline and they weren't being shipped off in two weeks, this would be such a horrible rip off storyline and no one would be happy about it. But because we know that they're leaving, it sounds somewhat better than what they've been getting the last year and we want to stay positive because we're about to say goodbye to two staples in DAYS' history.

I don't have a problem with Brady being in many of these exit scenes. He is John and Marlena's son after all. He should be there up until the two of them leave, no matter if Martsolf is new to the canvas or not. He's playing a character with established history on this show and that makes him important and especially important to this storyline.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply