Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A Closer Look: Daniel; Jan. 20th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jan 7 2009, 01:04 PM (2,515 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

The problem with D-Hig's writing--or, I should say, a problem with it, is that there's nothing to fill in the blanks with. You can't even fanwank with her because there simply is nothing to go on. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode that opens with them announcing "Gabbo," and not telling anyone who or what that is, just to be excited for it. Homer is desperate to figure it out, and Lisa tells him, "I don't think they're giving you enough information, Dad." That's exactly how I feel about Higley. I have no idea, with few exceptions, of why anybody does what they do or why they're doing it with the person they're doing it with. Or to.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Ponz
Jan 7 2009, 04:06 PM
zyona
Jan 7 2009, 03:31 PM
What the hell? It is not sexual? he only spent time with her at the Gym and at the hospital when Kate was sick,and they want us to believe that it is love?
That's how Higley writes. She picks these plot points but can't be bothered to go through the character development required to back them up. As a result, viewers are forced to fill in the blanks.
I agree completely. Higley's style of writing is so frustrating. She gives no buildup and she totally skips over the payoff. And romance is a dirty word to this woman. Speaking of dirty, saying so long to Dr. Dirty would not upset me one bit.

I also think it is a shame that John and Marlena are not getting a nice crescendo to their exit. After the tortures the pair have suffered under this writer why is she wasting precious time showing us the ShamBelly story in so many segments daily? Most of it is repetitive and going nowhere. Why not give the DHers and the fans a treat before it's too late?

thanks Ellie!

Ellie

Paxton
Jan 7 2009, 04:15 PM
It reminds me of the Simpsons episode that opens with them announcing "Gabbo," and not telling anyone who or what that is, just to be excited for it. Homer is desperate to figure it out, and Lisa tells him, "I don't think they're giving you enough information, Dad." That's exactly how I feel about Higley. I have no idea, with few exceptions, of why anybody does what they do or why they're doing it with the person they're doing it with. Or to.
LOL!! Perfect, perfect analogy. I love it.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I don't think that Daniel deserves a closer look ...

Karnythia
Member Avatar

I admire his (and NB's) professionalism in not coming right out and saying "This is some bull..." in every single interview.

esp13
Member Avatar

Paxton
Jan 7 2009, 04:15 PM
The problem with D-Hig's writing--or, I should say, a problem with it, is that there's nothing to fill in the blanks with. You can't even fanwank with her because there simply is nothing to go on. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode that opens with them announcing "Gabbo," and not telling anyone who or what that is, just to be excited for it. Homer is desperate to figure it out, and Lisa tells him, "I don't think they're giving you enough information, Dad." That's exactly how I feel about Higley. I have no idea, with few exceptions, of why anybody does what they do or why they're doing it with the person they're doing it with. Or to.
That's exactly it. I'm almost always willing to fill in some blanks and, in a strange way, I actually enjoy the fanwanking sometimes. But you have to have something to work with at least. When there is absolutely no motivation provided, there is nothing to fanwank from or with. The closest I can come to a fanwank with Daniel's motivations is that he has a sick attraction to sick people and that's based entirely on the fact that all the women he's been with on the show started out as his patients.

I can't even begin to fanwank Chloe's motivations and that goes all the way back to elevator sex. There hasn't been one single iota of character development or explanation to help figure out why Chloe went from her FWB relationship with Philip, to sex with Lucas in the elevator, to being "in love" with Lucas, to agreeing to marry Lucas while fantasizing about the doctor who felt her up, to sleeping with said doctor. Nothing, nada, zilch.

Karnythia
Member Avatar

I think part of the problem is that Higley isn't writing for characters. She's just writing events and thrusting people into the arcs as the whim strikes her. So, we can't find any motivation because there isn't any, the characters were just handy to be used as she pushes her event.

angelatil
Member Avatar

I am not sure what stirs his soul....you mean Chelsea didn't?? I find that VERY hard to believe. I like Daniel and I want him to stay but not with Chloe...this is ridiculous. He should be with Chelsea...

Mason

Karnythia
Jan 7 2009, 05:38 PM
I think part of the problem is that Higley isn't writing for characters. She's just writing events and thrusting people into the arcs as the whim strikes her. So, we can't find any motivation because there isn't any, the characters were just handy to be used as she pushes her event.
Bingo. That's exactly how Higley writes, and it always has been.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I think Hackley's next "BIG" event will be a herpes outbreak in Salem. Rafe is behind the outbreak, and everyone will freak out about it for 2 episodes, and it will be all forgotten.
Rafe-->Sami-->EJ-->Nicole-->Brady-->Chloe-->Phillip-->Stephanie-->Max-->Chelsea-->Daniel-->Chloe (again!!!) I can see it now.

Nicole Walker

GTFO!! This is BULL!! He is attracted to Chloe's big boobs that is all. Stop the madness!!
Edited by Nicole Walker, Jan 8 2009, 03:09 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

All I can say is SC better be out or my enjoyment of this story drops faster then the stock market did last year. The chemistry isn't enough to sell it. I NEED Daniel to be definitely leaving to enjoy this.

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

^This storyline proves what a piece of shit Dena's writing is. I would have loved for the doc to have actually fallen for a woman,even Chloe,in a more sincere,loving way.Instead,Dena turned him into a horndog,and Chloe is a slut. Me thinks shes living as CHloe in her fantasies :puke:
Edited by Dayzfan, Jan 10 2009, 08:38 AM.

cassie1013

Nicole Dimera
Jan 8 2009, 03:08 AM
GTFO!! This is BULL!! He is attracted to Chloe's big boobs that is all. Stop the madness!!
HAHAHA isn't that the truth....

Nicole Walker

I just read an a mini article in SOW it's called Dr. Manwhore. SC is teased all the time by his castmates about Daniel and how many women he's been with.

cassie1013

^ And in such a short amount of time! The sleaze factor is upped by the fact that he nailed Chelsea's grandma too....I'm sorry, that is just RIDICULOUS lol. And now he wants to bang the grandma's future daughter in law! Someone needs to tell this guy to keep it in his pants.

Oops, I forgot to add - since he's now on this slut-path, why can't he hook up with Lexie too? That would be HOT. :omg:

Edited by cassie1013, Jan 12 2009, 05:12 AM.

Mason

I used to want Daniel with Lexie, but no more. At this rate, he'd probably give her gonnohrrea.

Ellie

Mason
Jan 12 2009, 02:29 PM
I used to want Daniel with Lexie, but no more. At this rate, he'd probably give her gonnohrrea.
But then he could give her an exam and fall in love!

kelligapeach

angelatil
Jan 7 2009, 07:41 PM
I am not sure what stirs his soul....you mean Chelsea didn't?? I find that VERY hard to believe. I like Daniel and I want him to stay but not with Chloe...this is ridiculous. He should be with Chelsea...
ITA! SC is best paired with Rachel Melvin! Those two where amazing together! I'm guessing Higley didn't do the writing for them.. must have been Ed Scott? And why did they let this guy go? :shrug:
I want SC to stay on the show and I want him back with the one women he really loves, Chelsea Brady!

Daniel and Chloe only have lust for each other. Total BS of a storyline! Just a sexcapade and that's it! :puke: :soapbox:

I will give them credit for being professionals, I'm not sure I could do these interviews or go on camera saying all this BS with a straight face!! They know this storyline is bogus too! What a shame Days has done this!

Mason

kelligapeach
Jan 12 2009, 09:31 PM
angelatil
Jan 7 2009, 07:41 PM
ITA! SC is best paired with Rachel Melvin! Those two where amazing together! I'm guessing Higley didn't do the writing for them.. must have been Ed Scott?
Oh, no. That albatross was definitely Higley's doing. She seems to have a fetish for older man/younger woman pairings.

Ed Scott probably wanted nothing to do with the crap that was Daniel/Chelsea.
Edited by Mason, Jan 12 2009, 11:32 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply