Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for wk of January 19th; *UPDATED 1/16*
Topic Started: Jan 7 2009, 11:06 PM (11,794 Views)
Ellie

Sindacco
Jan 16 2009, 05:02 PM
Ellie
Jan 16 2009, 04:51 PM
Sindacco
Jan 16 2009, 04:48 PM
So they are in magazines, just like the SOW and SOD articles about J&M leaving.
Right, except this comes from the show. See my post above - my point is that NBC/Days is missing this opportunity to promote this. You were saying that these only go on the internet, so I corrected that. But the point remains that the show is missing many opportunities to promote this or pay tribute to Deidre and Drake.
See this is what I don't get. You seem upset because they (as in Sony/NBC) didn't pay Drake and Deidre a tribute, but they didn't do that to all the other actors that have been fired, at least not the past years. Why should Drake and Deidre be treated as royalties when others weren't? Is it because they are long time vets? So were Thaao, Renee, John and Matthew when they were fired, and more than once. Is it because they are a "supercouple"? Jack was part of a supercouple too but not the others. Is it because J&M have one of the most vocal fan base?
No. It's not because of any of those, and I can tell we're not going to agree on this. It's because Deidre Hall started on Days in 1976 and has worked there about 30 years total. She's been the star of the show for years. I can't say either of those things for any of the people on your list. Drake has worked there 23 consecutive years, and he's also been the male lead for many of those. Again, can't say that for the people on your list. We talk here about "A" stories, and for most of the years that J&M have been on the show, they WERE the "A" story. That's why I think NBC owes them something here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 16 2009, 05:04 PM
Sindacco
Ellie
Sindacco
Right, except this comes from the show. See my post above - my point is that NBC/Days is missing this opportunity to promote this. You were saying that these only go on the internet, so I corrected that. But the point remains that the show is missing many opportunities to promote this or pay tribute to Deidre and Drake.
See this is what I don't get. You seem upset because they (as in Sony/NBC) didn't pay Drake and Deidre a tribute, but they didn't do that to all the other actors that have been fired, at least not the past years. Why should Drake and Deidre be treated as royalties when others weren't? Is it because they are long time vets? So were Thaao, Renee, John and Matthew when they were fired, and more than once. Is it because they are a "supercouple"? Jack was part of a supercouple too but not the others. Is it because J&M have one of the most vocal fan base?
No. It's not because of any of those, and I can tell we're not going to agree on this. It's because Deidre Hall started on Days in 1976 and has worked there about 30 years total. She's been the star of the show for years. I can't say either of those things for any of the people on your list. Drake has worked there 23 consecutive years, and he's also been the male lead for many of those. Again, can't say that for the people on your list. We talk here about "A" stories, and for most of the years that J&M have been on the show, they WERE the "A" story. That's why I think NBC owes them something here.
So it was one of the things I listed. You think they should get triubte because they are longterm vets.

Ellie

Sindacco
Jan 16 2009, 05:07 PM
Ellie
Sindacco
Ellie
Sindacco
So it was one of the things I listed. You think they should get triubte because they are longterm vets.
No, not just longterm vets, but the other items I listed as well (stars of the show, etc.) Sorry if I worded my response incorrectly.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Well it looks like NBC are paying them a tribute in the new promo.

Ellie

To both of you: I can tell we're not going to agree on this, and Phoenix, I have changed my view some in the past week, due to the additional spoilers we've heard since then. I think these spoilers are a sign that the show is trying to minimize their exitl, though I understand what you are both saying. As for the promo, it doesn't mention that this is their last show ever. It doesn't show them leaving or even discuss it, other than the tag line. It shows a wedding. Again, I know we all disagree on this and that we probably won't be able to convince each other. Maybe we can reconvene after the show airs haha, and believe me, if the show makes a big deal of it, I'll be thrilled to admit I'm wrong.

jane1978

Sindacco
Ellie
Sindacco
Thanks! Seriously, Im getting to be really tired with this. THERE IS NO WORLDWIDE CONSPIRACY AGAINST JARLENA, DEE, DRAKE AND ITS FANS! Those listings probably writes some intern who could care less. Its not personally controlled by Corday, NBC and/or Higley.

NBC promotes Jarlena exit as any other big event. There is no reason to went overboard with it as nobody except soap viewers care and all soap viewers already know.

e83talus
Member Avatar

One more week and it will be over!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Jan 16 2009, 04:57 PM
I really can't wait until this is over.

Yes, this is really a big deal and all and I hate the exit they are getting too but I don't know what the big deal is about how these spoilers were done. They are never more then what we see here. Never.
Tim, I agree. I'm sick of the whole thing. It's tiresome. They are going to do what they are going to do. They are going to spoil and promote what they want to spoil. There is more going on with this show. Personally, I think the media coverage and the hoopla has more than covered what is going on. For me, I'm pretty saturated with the whole topic. Complaining is OK and is expected on boards like this, but ad naseum and over and over saying the same stuff............I'm really ready for something new. That's why I haven't been posting as much.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Sindacco
Ellie
Sindacco
Shouldn't they then do the same thing for Suzanne Rogers when her time is up? Or are only certain supposed "A" people worthy of this? Suzanne was part of A stories in the past, too. I think this might be one reason why, on certain places on the Net, I don't see much sympathy and actual celebration that J&M are gone. The sympathy factor is hard to muster when there is an attitude that the favorites of others aren't as worthy.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Jan 16 2009, 07:19 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 16 2009, 07:17 PM
Shouldn't they then do the same thing for Suzanne Rogers when her time is up?
I would hope that what's happened to Drake and Deidre never happens to Suzanne - again.
Edited by Mason, Jan 16 2009, 07:20 PM.

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Jan 16 2009, 07:17 PM
The sympathy factor is hard to muster when there is an attitude that the favorites of others aren't as worthy.
One of my reasons that NBC should recognize them more was not "because they're my favorites". I know you disagree with me as to their importance to the show over the years. We've posted about this before, so I'm sure I won't be able to convince you now.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sindacco
Ellie
Sindacco
Owes them?

Did they not get paid and paid very well? Have they not had adoring fans thru the years worshipping the ground they walk on?

If nobody knows about J&M leaving by now maybe it's just cuz they don't care. How many articles have been posted about it? Even FOX news had a blurb.

I guess it's hard for me to muster more sympathy for them than I do for the average Joe who just lost their job.

Ellie

SpriteEyes
Jan 18 2009, 09:03 AM
Owes them?

Did they not get paid and paid very well? Have they not had adoring fans thru the years worshipping the ground they walk on?

If nobody knows about J&M leaving by now maybe it's just cuz they don't care. How many articles have been posted about it? Even FOX news had a blurb.

I guess it's hard for me to muster more sympathy for them than I do for the average Joe who just lost their job.
First of all, in terms of "owes them", I did not mean they owed them money, and you will see that if you read my posts.

Second, the topic was the show itself and how they have been recognized there, not how they've been recognized on Fox news. I think it's absolutely disgusting that Yahoo.com and the New York Post seem to care more about Drake and Deidre than Days of Our Lives does. Aside from the promo, the show has not acknowledged this. This spoiler made it sound like even the last show will not be focused on their exit, which led me to guess that the show was trying to downplay this. I understand that some in this thread disagreed with that perspective on how spoilers work, and that's fine. Point taken.

Third, about "mustering more sympathy for them than for the average Joe", I actually have a family friend who was fired after FORTY years at his job and treated like crap. He was laid off with a bunch of other people, and before he left, he went through his office to take some mementos home. I'm not talking about staplers, but things that belonged to him that had the company logo, and projects he'd done of which he was particularly proud. Unfortunately, the company had posted a security guard at the entrance, and they told him he was only allowed to take his personal belongings from his office (photos, etc) and nothing else. I thought that was terrible, and I discussed it extensively with my family. However, where this thread is called "Days of Our Lives Spoilers for the week of January 19th", I didn't see how that story fit. Please don't conclude on that basis that I wouldn't be sympathetic towards anyone else.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply