Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Big J&M Exit Spoiler
Topic Started: Jan 8 2009, 01:35 AM (12,358 Views)
jules

Jiggs
Jan 8 2009, 05:24 PM
jules
Jan 8 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what possible legitimate reason for John being paralyzed beyond pure hatefulness on the part of Corday, Timlin and Higley. They could have easily had Dr. Whacko attack them and knock John out, Marlena could have helped him come out of it (as written) and then they could get married and rush off to see Belle/Claire. Why the need for the final insult?
Spitefulness, plain and simple. There is no other reason. It is not even a legitimate reason to send them out of town. Don't tell me that Belgium is the best place for treatment. How come Christopher Reeve didn't go there?
It truly shows the incompetence of all involved at Days. One more thing, you can bet they will be blink and you miss them scenes. Can't take away any screen time from Dr. Dan the perv, Melanie, the teenage business tycoon, Bo's visions into the present, the endless whining of Sami or any of the other current riveting stories.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JustJo
Member Avatar

niki
Jan 8 2009, 03:29 PM
Some of this debate is veering into old territory of the vets versus the 'new' Days. My anger at J&M's departure - the firings aside - is the WAY it has been written, not who or who is not left on the show. To many fans characters that have been on for such a long time are characters we 'know', they are almost like friends considering the years we have watched them. For a show - any show - to dismiss those fans, or to show them such a lack of consideration of their feelings is just stupid and self-destructive. Fans stay watching not only if the SL's are compelling (and that is another debate) but out of loyalty. Days has lied to most fan bases for years. Promised one thing and delivered little. Many are fed up with being jerked around and an unsatisfactory and rushed ending such as this does little to motivate or sustain that loyalty any further. This is the straw. If the writers could not be bothered to think or even consider what fans would appreciate (even though many hated the idea of them leaving) in a departure scene for characters that have been around this long, how can fans not see it as an insult? How could any writer believe this kind of ending would ingratitate or please longtime fans in any way? And how can those fans NOT be insulted and angry?
I'm not saying all fans are angry, I'm saying this is not an argument is about vets versus the new generation. This is about respect for your viewers and this move shows once again Days has none and if the non-J&M fans think this is an isolated case and their favourites won't be treated this way, I'd think again.
Excellent post! Thanks for clarifying the real point of J&M fans' anger at the news of this latest development. Obviously, non-fans may have trouble relating, or may chose to make light of it for their own purposes. But, as you pointed out, if this shoddy treatment of two long-time favorites and their large fan base is possible look for more of the same aimed at other cast members and fan bases as DAYS continues downhill. :shame:

misch
Member Avatar

you know if you go watch the alex north storyline on you tube you now wonder if that was brilliant writing compared to what we are going to get in a week. at least there was a payoff.
and they walked off together. no pun intended of course. :drunk:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

jules
Jan 8 2009, 06:43 PM
It truly shows the incompetence of all involved at Days. One more thing, you can bet they will be blink and you miss them scenes. Can't take away any screen time from Dr. Dan the perv, Melanie, the teenage business tycoon, Bo's visions into the present, the endless whining of Sami or any of the other current riveting stories.
ROFL! Yes, the show truly is a work of art these days.

I may not be a John and Marlena fan (well, I'm definitely not), but I have nothing but sympathy for their fans. This exit non-story is insulting and ridiculous.
Edited by Paxton, Jan 8 2009, 09:31 PM.

ges
Member Avatar

Maybe they could travel around the world endlessly unless they are needed to come home and read some letters or wear a humiliating holiday costume.

Ellie

ges
Jan 8 2009, 10:44 PM
Maybe they could travel around the world endlessly unless they are needed to come home and read some letters or wear a humiliating holiday costume.
LOL!! Great post.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks Jiggs.

I was told by a poster at Dee's site that the fan club (online or otherwise) has been closed and is not taking new members. Any news on that front?
You're welcome, and there is no more fan club.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

px780
Jan 8 2009, 06:12 PM
And at the risk of offending others, we're not talking about any random couple, or a couple that's had ups-and-downs for a couple years. It's been decades, and Deidre Hall is a name-brand soap star. That alone warrants a pure happy ending, imho, not to mention the years of dedication from the fans. What this ending teaches me as a viewer is that I shouldn't bother making the investment- not for Sami/Whoever, Stephanie/Phillip, Chloe/Man in the Room- because there won't be payoff. Is that really the message to send to viewers?
Yes, good point... this is sort of what I was saying earlier today. Why should any fan stick around and expect anything decent for their favorites when this show can't even afford one of it's biggest fan favorites something worthy of them and years of fan loyalty? If anyone thinks watching Days is going to bring them anything but misery, I'm sorry buy you are going to be very disappointed.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jules
Jan 8 2009, 06:43 PM
Jiggs
Jan 8 2009, 05:24 PM
jules
I'm still trying to figure out what possible legitimate reason for John being paralyzed beyond pure hatefulness on the part of Corday, Timlin and Higley. They could have easily had Dr. Whacko attack them and knock John out, Marlena could have helped him come out of it (as written) and then they could get married and rush off to see Belle/Claire. Why the need for the final insult?
Spitefulness, plain and simple. There is no other reason. It is not even a legitimate reason to send them out of town. Don't tell me that Belgium is the best place for treatment. How come Christopher Reeve didn't go there?
LOL! Actually Bo doesn't see into the future. He sees present time so his visions are pointless and don't help anyone.

deefanUBS

jules
Because there isn't any, nor is there any reason behind why Dr. Taylor had to be brought to surface in the first place. She didn't need to play any part in this. It should have been all Marlena and John. As bad as this sl has been, TPTB still could have given them and their fans a fairytale ending. But nope, instead we get a fuck you!

deefanUBS

brimike
Jan 8 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure how anybody has any energy left to be upset about this. I know I should be, but it's pretty much as bad as I thought it would be. Granted, I never EVER imagined the paralysis angle. Not in a million years. But as much as I wanted to get upset, all I could think when I read the spoiler was: "Yup. Sounds about right."

I never imagined it either. I knew we weren't going to get anything good, but the paralysis? There was absolutely no need to go there. And some lame excuse that they have to leave the country to get him better care...seriously?!!!! We are the USA...people come HERE for better care! Idiots!!

I told myself, no matter how it ends I am not going to get mad. I've been mad, disappointed, frustrated and angry at the TPTB far too many times in the last few years. I wasn't going to let DAYS get to me this time. Well, it happened. For one last time, you have me wanting to throwing my fucking sandwich at you. Congratulations Ken! You should be so proud!! :flipoff:
Edited by deefanUBS, Jan 9 2009, 02:34 AM.

carlypvee

Thanks for posting Angie! Yet another couple off to a foreign country. So original.

niki

Have you read the latest? Paralysed was bad enough but now it's from the neck down. I was being as pessimistic as I could be when I wrote that a couple of days ago that I wouldn't put it past them, and sure enough they manage to make an already bad scenario that much worse. No way for him to even touch her. And this is them leaving happily ever after? After all the YEARS of turmoil and angst - THIS is how they leave characters we have come to love over the years?? With us getting to imagine the hell they'll be going through?
Of all the things they could have done to have made this departure somewhat manageable to fans, they find the way to make it absolutely unbelieveably bad. In all honesty, I would have preferred them to die to this, then at least there would be closure. This? What does this do beside enrage people who have loved these characters? And as I said before, even for those who don't care for J&M - what does this say to you about investing anything into what you're watching on screen? Do you think there willbe any payoff? If this is their example of happily ever after for characters who have been on the show since the 1980s!!

I swear, if I could instigate a boycott of this show I would. I have never wished for a show to go under but that truly is how mad I am at this moment. The sheer and utter disregard this shows fans and loyal viewers is truly disgusting.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Well...this would be the time when Days viewers need to do what we do best: make our own shit up. I'll never forget how much better the Salem Serial Stalker Killer Whatever was before they did something with it on air.

To that end, I'm pretending that next week we will see the Biggest Twist in Days history when we learn that John was not in fact stabbed in the neck with a deadly toxin by Charlotte. Really, what happens is that he finally awakens from a coma he's been in since getting run down all those months ago. Some of what's aired is reality, some isn't. He's still paralyzed from the neck-down, he and Marlena still have to go to Belgium or wherever for treatment, but at least it's not just a hastily "written" shit ending. It's a catalyst for major change that the show desperately (imho) needs.

And y'know, I was trying not to say that I wouldn't follow Days after the two leave, because I'm not really a fan of them separately or together. But in thinking about it, as I try desperately not to focus on work at all today, this is just too much. If this is really how it ends, it just shows how much opportunity they're really willing to squander, and how much crap they're willing to create to setup nothingness.

Why, Corday, was there a need for Santo and Colleen? That storyline was worse than anything else I've seen on this show, including Garden of Eden and the stupid neverending kidnapping crap. It didn't setup some kind of magical EJ/Sami echoes-through-time trueloveforever. It made Stefano kind of pathetic. And it rewrote John's past again in a way that will apparently not play out in a meaningful way, especially since he apparently gets permanently injured (which- writers, you can't have him be a magical Dimera and expect me to believe he can be hurt, especially when he freakin' died not long ago).

And why did they fire the actor, kill John, create this promise that it would be a turning point for the show, and then bring him back if only to end it with this? I actually thought John's death was well done. I thought it opened a lot of possibilities for the show. I thought it showed that they were serious about making this a different kind of show- less soap opera in the negative sense, more daytime drama. Then you bring him back. For this.

I don't get it. A lot of crap storyline that still had potential for greatness, all of it down to a random psychopath, a toxin, paralysis and Belgium. It can't be serious, and I sincerely hope that the writers don't believe this to be a quality mix of tragedy, action, and transcendent love. But they probably do.

They also probably plan to reverse this a few months down the line. "Psych- we were just playin', y'all. Belgium totally worked out for them."

But I don't think I care anymore, because whatever they do from this point forward- from a couple years ago forward- will always, inevitably, turn out to be crap. Or worse than crap- it turns out to be nothing, and I can't stand wasted potential.

Divas, rewrites, interference, budgets- I get all that. But I also get that every other show has that issue and not all of them seem to suffer the same problem. To me, the Days people just aren't trying, and if they can't be bothered to put any effort into making the show, I shouldn't spend my time following it. The baby switch stuff seemed interesting, but OLTL has something similar and more creative- I can get my fix there.

Oh- and the worst part of this, beyond the nothingness, is that it doesn't even seem like they're dovetailing it with anything really compelling to capture any viewers who turn in just because of the media coverage about Deidre Hall. It's not often that soaps get mainstream press. Bad on you, Corday, for not ensuring that it was exploited fully.
Edited by px780, Jan 9 2009, 06:25 PM.

ges
Member Avatar

Why, Corday, was there a need for Santo and Colleen? That storyline was worse than anything else I've seen on this show, including Garden of Eden and the stupid neverending kidnapping crap. It didn't setup some kind of magical EJ/Sami echoes-through-time trueloveforever. It made Stefano kind of pathetic. And it rewrote John's past again in a way that will apparently not play out in a meaningful way, especially since he apparently gets permanently injured (which- writers, you can't have him be a magical Dimera and expect me to believe he can be hurt, especially when he freakin' died not long ago).

The Colleen and Santos shit, which seemed like it lasted for a year, perfectly sums up how pathetic the writing is on the show and the schitzo nature of the writing. Let me get this straight. Stephano hated Coleen passionately and wants to murder her and every member of her extended family because: she met a lying, dirtbag of a of a married man and when she found out he was married she did everything she could do to stay out of their marriage and spare Stephano's mother any strife.
A roving, Italian hankerchief salesman, no less. What a catch. So, if E.J. plants his seed and marries Sammi, all will be well and Stephano will lay off the Brady's. He will stay in his wing of the mansion and redecorate it. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, he layed a big purple fart in the hospital which made everyone nauseous. :moon: :flipoff:

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

WoW......sorry John and Marlena fans.....talk about adding insult to injury...oy, what a shitty exit for two soap legends.

cassie1013

Haha.

That made me laugh. What kind of write out IS this?

Deleted User
Deleted User

I wont be watching the last Day.. I know Corday is banking on a big day for their exit .. By Not watchong I will send my own F.U.

If I choose to watch Ill do it on youtube.. I wont add even one viewer on a day Corday lifts his leg and pisses on the, DH's and craps on the fans.
Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Jan 10 2009, 02:56 AM
I wont be watching the last Day.. I know Corday is banking on a big day for their exit .. By Not watchong I will send my own F.U.

If I choose to watch Ill do it on youtube.. I wont add even one viewer on a day Corday lifts his leg and pisses on the, DH's and craps on the fans.
Unless you're a Nielsen viewer, it won't count your viewership whether you tune in or not.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

See i still don't see this as the end for John and Marlena...I'm sure they will be back during the summer time..And SOD will have a big issue promoting their return to save Days..

I do agree, this is a shitty and rushed exit...And what sucks is the story has been so stagnant for so long that its really just unnecessary to rush it into two weeks..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply