Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Big J&M Exit Spoiler
Topic Started: Jan 8 2009, 01:35 AM (12,325 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jan 8 2009, 02:28 AM
Why does it always have to be a fairytale ending when a couple leaves Salem? It's not realistic.
So what? (Cue PINK!)

It's not realistic for people to come back from the dead either, but it happens. 99% of the things that happen on soap operas aren't realistic, but we still enjoy them (when written properly) for what they are.

People like happy endings. Whether it's in a book, a movie, a primetime show or a soap opera. It's called "payoff." We follow these stories in hopes of finally reaching a happy crescendo. It really sucks to follow something to the end only to be slapped in the face with some half-assed "resolution."

Happy endings can be sacrificed if the story is good enough to make it worth it (IMO -- think "Titanic") but this Charlotte Taylor plot isn't worth the paper it's written on. There's no reason for John to leave the show paralyzed. There's nothing ironic about it, nothing bittersweet about it, nothing emotionally riveting about it. It's just depressing and stupid.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

e83talus
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 8 2009, 02:30 AM
Sindacco
Jan 8 2009, 02:28 AM
Why does it always have to be a fairytale ending when a couple leaves Salem? It's not realistic. John gets paralyzed, that's sad, but so is life.
But on top of all the other shit they've gotten this past year? It's just like adding insult to injury. Is it really necessary? It's like the show's going out of its way to piss off fans.
Successfully Piss off fans!

Ellie

Sindacco
Jan 8 2009, 02:16 AM
Why are you all angry?
Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn, two actors who have given a combined 53 years to the show, and one of whom is largely acknowledged as the show's star, were fired.

Not only were they fired, but their exit story had to take place in a matter of weeks.

Not only did their exit story have to take place in a matter of weeks, but it revolved around a new character on the show.

Not only did it revolve around a new character on the show, but the new character, Charlotte, is a blond psychiatrist who looks very much like Marlena.

Not only does Charlotte look very much like Marlena, but she's able to get John to have a breakthrough when Marlena's been stymied all year.

Not only is Charlotte able to make John have a breakthrough, but she tries to turn him against Marlena.

Not only does she try to turn him against Marlena, but she does this over almost the entirety of John and Marlena's remaining time on the show.

Not only do the writers grant this extensive airtime to Charlotte, but they also have her injure John.

Not only does Charlotte injure John, but she paralyzes him. (And Sindacco: It's a soap. I realize sh*t happens in the real world, but a happy ending for two longterm soap characters shouldn't be too much to ask for. Will John be bloodied and bandaged in the wedding pictures - the last pictures we'll ever have of Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn on Days of Our Lives? I'm sure you get the idea.)

And not only is John injured and paralyzed, but it sounds like J&M leave town the very same day, without the show's paying tribute to the actors in any way.

I'm truly disgusted with this show and I'm proud that as of January 23rd, I will no longer call myself a viewer.

Mason
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 8 2009, 02:48 AM
Sindacco
Why are you all angry?
Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn, two actors who have given a combined 53 years to the show, and one of whom is largely acknowledged as the show's star, were fired.

Not only were they fired, but their exit story had to take place in a matter of weeks.

Not only did their exit story have to take place in a matter of weeks, but it revolved around a new character on the show.

Not only did it revolve around a new character on the show, but the new character, Charlotte, is a blond psychiatrist who looks very much like Marlena.

Not only does Charlotte look very much like Marlena, but she's able to get John to have a breakthrough when Marlena's been stymied all year.

Not only is Charlotte able to make John have a breakthrough, but she tries to turn him against Marlena.

Not only does she try to turn him against Marlena, but she does this over almost the entirety of John and Marlena's remaining time on the show.

Not only do the writers grant this extensive airtime to Charlotte, but they also have her injure John.

Not only does Charlotte injure John, but she paralyzes him. (And Sindacco: It's a soap. I realize sh*t happens in the real world, but a happy ending for two longterm soap characters shouldn't be too much to ask for. Will John be bloodied and bandaged in the wedding pictures - the last pictures we'll ever have of Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn on Days of Our Lives? I'm sure you get the idea.)

And not only is John injured and paralyzed, but it sounds like J&M leave town the very same day, without the show's paying tribute to the actors in any way.

I'm truly disgusted with this show and I'm proud that as of January 23rd, I will no longer call myself a viewer.
Nail. Head. There is absolutely no excuse for this.
Edited by Mason, Jan 8 2009, 02:55 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ok...this will shock people...

But WTF?! This is stupid on a number of of levels.

First off, been there done that with the paralysis. So, they ripoff Alex North and now the paralysis story too? Granted, we won't see either play out but still. Lack of creativity much?

It's funny. This afternoon I read the spoilers in SOD and thought it might not be so bad. It's still rushed but it looked ok. Now, it's a trainwreck. A complete mess. I feel bad for their fans now and that says alot. You can still leave it open-ended and give them a happy ending. Or, hell, just make it something worth a damn. Shoddy, messy, and just falt out stupid is not the way to go. It's like they picked things out of a hat as to what to do with them the last week and decided on this. I can understand having John save Marlena. That is nice and fitting. I also understand that this is one of Corday's traditional red flags. Whenever someone major exits, he always leaves something to suggest they may be back or to leave it open-ended. Now, I do think this really makes it seem like they plan to bring them back. When? Who knows. I don't think you leave one part of the couple paralyzed and send them off together for treatment if you plan to permanently say goodbye to them. I think it's something Corday thinks is great because it may convince fans they will be back and it leaves it wide open if the show falls flat on it's face.

Here is the problem, though. What happens if they don't come back for whatever reason? This is how it ends. He's paralyzed. It's a clear slap in the face and even with them leaving it open...it still suggests that they all couldn't give a damn about them. It really shows that. I suspected that and I assumed Tomlin could care less but now it's so obvious no one does over there. They will only care if this plan fails and they have to bring them back. Right now, that isn't the case do it's a case of don't let the door hit their asses on the way out. I sensed that in the 2009 previews where Corday seemed so blunt, saying they leave and that's that.

I mean, we now know the wedding will suck. Sure, it may be all intimate and shit but now it's going to be in a hospital room. That is probably the damn plan though. Now they only have to have a few people in there and they don't need to make it a big deal. They don't need another set or location. They can use the measly hospital set and it won't be elaborate at all. Cheap bastards don't use the budget to send off a beloved couple in what MAY be the end for them but if Sami's needs a fucking new set for whatever story she is in or if they need an alleyway for Nicole, they will be sure to do that. Well, you know what...GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE FUCKING GUTTER YOU FUCKING SCREWED UP MORONS!!

Seriously, I'm ready for this to be over because I'm enjoying the stories and want to just move on but this is just moronic. You can keep it open-ended by just sending them off on an extended honeymoon . At least then it's still some sort of payoff despite being rushed. This is just stupid and I really do feel bad for D&D and their fans especially. It's such a clear slap and so unnecessary. I will do my best to get enjoyment out of it but this may even be too much for me in the end.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Angie79
Jan 8 2009, 01:35 AM
From an anonymous source. Thank you!!

Spoiler re: John/Marlena's exit:

It appeared that Charlotte wanted John for herself. She even hid the fact that, under hypnosis, he did remember details about Marlena. And when the truth came out about her, she went on the attack. She tried to plunge a syringe full of toxin into Marlena's neck, but John got in the way. He got the injection and it looked like it might kill him. Marlena stayed by his side, telling him all about the life they'd shared and finally (finally) he regained consciousness. And he remembered everything. Marlena got back the John that she loves so much almost. Unfortunately, he remained paralyzed and the best treatment option was in Belgium. So John and Marlena left on their latest adventure.
And I believe this is why Charlotte is arrested.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jan 8 2009, 02:19 AM
Sindacco
Why are you all angry? You knew they would leave. Is it because John is paralyzed? One of the things I hate about supercouples is how they are always indestructable. I have no problem with this spoiler at all.
I'm angry because they're being given such a rushed, idiotic sendoff that you can tell had absolutely no effort put into it. It's a slap in the face.
When is this show going to get the memo?

This isn't just with the current writing team. No one writes an exit good for this show. Not in at least ten years. The best exit we got was John's death and the idiots undid it just to give us this.

I really don't get it. Is it so hard to change things a bit and build up somewhat to an exit? It's happened under every writer since SSM. It's almost like they figure they will be gone, why bother? That seems to be the adage. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. They only care again when they feel they need you or when you are returning.

They can drop stories and change gears at the drop of a hat but for an exit? Nope. Can't change nothing. We will just continue the story and change one or two episodes to write the person or people out and drop the planned story.

Seriously, what a bunch of half-assing, clueless, idiots. It starts at the top too with Corday. Piss poor leadership always leads to stupid shit like this.

Ellie

Kenny

People like happy endings. Whether it's in a book, a movie, a primetime show or a soap opera. It's called "payoff." We follow these stories in hopes of finally reaching a happy crescendo. It really sucks to follow something to the end only to be slapped in the face with some half-assed "resolution."

Happy endings can be sacrificed if the story is good enough to make it worth it (IMO -- think "Titanic") but this Charlotte Taylor plot isn't worth the paper it's written on. There's no reason for John to leave the show paralyzed. There's nothing ironic about it, nothing bittersweet about it, nothing emotionally riveting about it. It's just depressing and stupid.
Great post, Kenny. That's exactly it. We've been watching this horrible story all year, then we find out the characters are leaving the canvas, then we find out that the story "payoff" (and that's in quotes for a reason) does not even come close to justifying the year spent on this. And J&M fans know that it's not even just a year - since May 2004, J&M have hardly been together at all. (A short time on Melaswen, a week or two in the summer of 05, four months in fall 06, and three months in summer 07 when they were 'homeless' and reading letters. THAT'S IT.) To me, more than ONE SHOW of happiness (and they're not even getting that) isn't too much to ask for. But, apparently it is.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I hate to point out the obvious but we knew this was going to be a lame rush job - we've been talking about it for weeks.

I guess we were hoping that we were wrong. :scared:

Mason
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 03:12 AM
I hate to point out the obvious but we knew this was going to be a lame rush job - we've been talking about it for weeks.
Oh, I knew it would be bad. I just didn't think it would be THIS bad.

Ellie

OneBadKitty

I had no idea it would be this bad. This is beyond the worst I could have imagined.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Ellie, you know that Kenny-ism you have in your signature?

Yeah, that!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty

Rushed is one thing.

Complete stupidity in addition to that is another.

This went from rushed, shoddy to a trainwreck. Nothing like making it apparent you can't wait to get rid of them and likely haven't given a damn about them in months by ensuring they get a wedding in a hospital with likely limited people there and by sending them off with another setback (I guess this was the one stupid Corday hinted at).

Ellie

OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 03:16 AM
Ellie, you know that Kenny-ism you have in your signature?

Yeah, that!
LOL!! But that's the whole thing, and that's what I was trying to convey in my post. Ok, so a new character is the focus of J&M's farewell story? Fine. We learned that about a month ago, and I was dealing with it. But now... THIS? I guess I had no idea how much worse it could possibly get.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jan 8 2009, 02:36 AM
Happy endings can be sacrificed if the story is good enough to make it worth it (IMO -- think "Titanic") but this Charlotte Taylor plot isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Wait a minute... don't tell me that actually waisted paper and wrote this shit down. :drunk: lol ;)

Mason
Member Avatar

Tammy
Jan 8 2009, 03:21 AM
Kenny
Jan 8 2009, 02:36 AM
Happy endings can be sacrificed if the story is good enough to make it worth it (IMO -- think "Titanic") but this Charlotte Taylor plot isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Wait a minute... don't tell me that actually waisted paper and wrote this shit down. :drunk: lol ;)
It was written on toilet paper by Dena Higley's ass.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I think the fact that this story sucks is because it was rushed. It's clear to me that Corday was in a big hurry to get the DH's off the show as quickly as possible.

Mason
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 03:23 AM
I think the fact that this story sucks is because it was rushed. It's clear to me that Corday was in a big hurry to get the DH's off the show as quickly as possible.

Even if it wasn't rushed, I still think it would suck ass because it's obviously a rip off of Alex North, one of the worst storylines in DAYS history.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 03:23 AM

Yeah but like this?

I mean, I think we all knew it would be rushed based on past exits (which is a problem in and of itself) but why do it like this? Sure, it's open-ended and it's the traditional red flag that they may be back but they could've did that by also sending them off on a honeymoon after marrying.

To me, this just makes them come off horrible. We know now they will get a cheap ass wedding in a hospital room with probably no one there or less then like 5 people there. He's paralyzed. It just feels so stupid and all over the place and it has such a malicious feel to it.

I mean, they were fired in November? They had plenty of time to do it better then this even if it was rushed.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I'm sorry Mason, but I don't remember the Alex North story because I blocked that fucking senseless carnage from my memory. :drunk:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply