Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soaptown USA Best & Worst of 2008
Topic Started: Jan 8 2009, 06:42 PM (1,096 Views)
OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

This column was written by me so be nice, LOL.

Salem Place
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

OBK - I had no idea that was you!
Great write up!
I might argue with you that instead of worst character being Melanie, I would put it as Sami. For being such a HUGE Sami fan for such a long time, it is heartbreaking that I can barely watch her anymore...she is illogical, looney and a shell of her former self.
She never came off as scared of anyone and she always knew who she wanted...this year, she can't make up her damn mind about any guy and she is considering leaving her baby because she is terrified of a family who current is raising one of her kids.
They have totally sucked in writing Sami this year.

Melanie has been half way decent for me. A breath of fresh air, and she can act. Tone down the teeth and hair and short skirts, not to mention her screen time, and I'm a fan. I might have put her as the most overexposed - tied her with Nicole.

Otherwise, a great way to sum up the year. I have always enjoyed your columns!

Ellie

Great column OBK!

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but my favorite sentence is: "There must be an unwritten rule that if you run out of story ideas, make John someone else." I bet if you asked Drake, he'd agree with that; I think he's quietly complained about that over the years. While I do like seeing John as the lead male character on Days, I like it more when his character is consistent, and I hate how they're always 'ret-conning' his history. This year, as you're saying, was the worst. An idea that began with such promise went downhill so fast.

Mason

Ellie
Jan 8 2009, 07:40 PM
An idea that began with such promise went downhill so fast.
That's Higley for you. She can take something with so much potential and just completely shit all over it.

Ellie

Mason
Jan 8 2009, 07:41 PM
Ellie
An idea that began with such promise went downhill so fast.
That's Higley for you. She can take something with so much potential and just completely shit all over it.
Couldn't agree more! (lol love how everyone uses the exact same metaphor for her writing...)

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 8 2009, 07:41 PM
Higley = artistic diarrhea.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I had read it before and I thought it was really well thought out and written - Fantastic job! Really good stuff!

Sariah
Member Avatar

Well, from what I've seen of Philip and Stephanie, I don't agree. He definitely has more chemistry with her than he did with Morgan, but I still think the best chemistry exists between Philip and Chloe.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

They are too busy destroying Chloe. :drunk: Maybe I shoud've picked her as "Character most ruined by the writers."

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Great article, OBK!!! I think I agreed with everything you wrote!! Your an excellent journalist, how are you at writing an interesting story???? I know a certain soap that could use a good head writer!!!!!! :smooch:

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I completely disagree about Rosoce Born being the worst guest appearance. He was the best IMO, much better than Tamara Braun. Trent wasn't even a creep, they just made him creepy the last two weeks so they could kill him off. Not all bad guys have to be like Stefano.
Edited by Sindacco, Jan 9 2009, 05:36 AM.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

OBK, i had no idea you were writing these. i look forward to this column every week and read it regularly. per usual, i agree with everything you've said....well maybe i have my own issues with the idea that sami is hiding her pregnancy out of fear of stefano, but other than that, i would have said the same things.

Daytime
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jan 9 2009, 05:35 AM
I completely disagree about Rosoce Born being the worst guest appearance. He was the best IMO, much better than Tamara Braun. Trent wasn't even a creep, they just made him creepy the last two weeks so they could kill him off. Not all bad guys have to be like Stefano.
I have to disagree with ya, on that. Rosco Born is a talented actor but OBK is right about him being the worst guest apperance. Perhaps if he had writing that was up to his acting ability it would have worked perfectly. We all have seen him act and we know how good he is, but DH didn't give much really to work with.

BTW, nice work OBK.
Good Job!!! :rockon:

Kyrai

Ellie
Great column OBK!

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but my favorite sentence is: "There must be an unwritten rule that if you run out of story ideas, make John someone else." I bet if you asked Drake, he'd agree with that; I think he's quietly complained about that over the years. While I do like seeing John as the lead male character on Days, I like it more when his character is consistent, and I hate how they're always 'ret-conning' his history. This year, as you're saying, was the worst. An idea that began with such promise went downhill so fast.
Great job OBK!

I also second what you said Ellie. I wish they had stopped ret-connning John as well.

Sariah
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 09:09 PM
They are too busy destroying Chloe. :drunk: Maybe I shoud've picked her as "Character most ruined by the writers."
I think you're right - she probably is one of the characters most being ruined by the writers.

But I did agree with everything else you said in your article - I thought you did a great job!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Sariah
Jan 9 2009, 09:10 AM
OneBadKitty
Jan 8 2009, 09:09 PM
I think you're right - she probably is one of the characters most being ruined by the writers.

But I did agree with everything else you said in your article - I thought you did a great job!
Not really, Chloe has always been a shallow character.

BradyDiva06
Member Avatar

I agree with alot of what you wrote in the article.Great article. Especially the Philip and Stephanie stuff and Nicole stuff. I love Nicole but don't want to see her for half the show everyday.

carlypvee

Nice article OBK!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply