Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: New Promo!; "A special two week reunion event..."
Topic Started: Jan 9 2009, 11:01 PM (5,178 Views)
Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
Jan 11 2009, 10:25 PM
Well, Dee didn't mind going on all the talk shows when Marlena was "killing off" all of her longtime costars. She thought the story was great. Now the shoe is on the the other foot....
You know she didn't mind???
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 12 2009, 03:01 AM
Therefore, I'm with King on this. Yes, Lucas has been through this before but it's with someone other then a Brady girl and I really think this could take the character somewhere different. Who knows what being betrayed this time will do. I mean, he completely started fresh with Chloe so this is interesting. Perhaps the most interesting thing to me is what will happen with Kate. I think that is why they are building up her liking Chloe and the whole bone marrow issue. This will really set the stage for the Kate of old to return. She will be back in overprotective mode after this. She let her guard down to one of her's son's loves and this happens behind her back after all she has done for Chloe and it happens with Kate's ex. This has major potential. Kate is going to tear Chloe apart and who knows what impact this will have in regards to Philip. Kate may really pay closer attention to Stephanie because of this LOL. Chloe will be hated and Kate will be pissed. Let's also not forget that Maggie is supposed to be involved in the reveal. It's not the best story but it's entertaining as hell in my book and may lead to some great stuff down the line.
So, Kate will now hate Chloe instead of Sami. Been there, done that. So really this is nothing original or new. Only it has less meaning, than if it were Sami again because at least that would involve past history.

cassie1013

^ Yes, but this is different...when were Kate and Sami ever fighting over a guy? Except for EJ, for like 5 minutes. Moot point now anyway - Kate is in a more serious relationship with Daniel, so her hating Chloe will be from a completely different place...and hopefully a nice change from the I hate Sami routine! That said, with Higgs at the helm...

brimike

cassie1013
Jan 12 2009, 05:14 AM
^ Yes, but this is different...when were Kate and Sami ever fighting over a guy? Except for EJ, for like 5 minutes. Moot point now anyway - Kate is in a more serious relationship with Daniel, so her hating Chloe will be from a completely different place...and hopefully a nice change from the I hate Sami routine! That said, with Higgs at the helm...
Everything about this story SHOULD have been a nice change.

-- Lucas and Chloe SHOULD have been interesting, and brought out a mature side to both characters, a side we'd never seen before.

-- Phillip SHOULD have been involved at least still on a story level for the reveal that Chloe stole his grandmother's man.

-- Chloe saving Kate's life SHOULD have been a lot more dramatic and meaningful and not riddled with holes.

-- Kate finding out the girl who gave her life also stole the man she loves SHOULD be filled with emotional, conflicted soapy goodness.

Once again, the idea is great on paper, and the execution just fell flat because the whole thing was either stalled for three weeks where nothing happened... or suddenly rushed through in two episodes because they realized something had to be done.

All the pieces were in place for some really great dramatic moments. Instead, I predict a lousy catfight, two characters leaving, and nobody will talk about it again. Isn't that how it works these days?

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I agree that the Chloe/Daniel affair has potential from a purely plot perspective, but I can't bring myself to care with the characters/actors that are involved.

I hate Chloe, I always have, and it doesn't help that she's played by an "actress" with less talent than your average VH-1 reality show participant. Kate has been boring for a good long time at this point, and giving her a disease didn't help. Daniel is still relatively new and not well fleshed-out- he's a movable prop. And Lucas is kind of the same, only he's been around a bit longer.

Of the four I'm most inclined to care about what happens to Kate, but I highly doubt they'll play that out beyond setting it up so that Kate can go back to being a meddling mother/grandmother. I suppose I should be grateful that they'd even try to give her a reason for a behavior shift, though.

I can't say I'm invested in any of the relationships here, either, so there's no caring from that standpoint.

If this were playing out with different characters- if they'd have kept Shawn/Belle and done an affair storyline with either Belle/Phillip or Chloe/Shawn, maybe- it would've been good. With these four? There's neither the history nor the character development to make it compelling stuff, imho.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Perhaps the Daniel/Chloe discovery will send Lucas off the wagon and into a storyline of his own, which could involve Maggie…oh, wait, this is Hackley we are talking about…never mind.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Jan 12 2009, 05:14 AM
But Kate broke up with Daniel. And it wasn't like they were any kind of committed couple anyway.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
Jan 11 2009, 12:22 AM
Beth
Jan 10 2009, 11:26 PM
I am starting to like the Daniel and Chloe storyline as well. Someone please shoot me. :shrug: It's like a trainwreck; I like looking. :embarrassed:
I think it may be the trainwreck appeal lol But there is just something about them that hooks me. For one,
it plays to their abilities lol (love you Nadia and Shawn, but acting isn't what you're best at), and I just enjoy the overall story. I don't know if it's because DAYS doesn't usually do these kinds of stories, or because it's just trashy, but it's certainly fun.
And it's totally unexpected and nobody predicted it.

I love it!

J&M, don't care.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Jan 12 2009, 03:52 AM
King
Jan 11 2009, 02:01 PM
I do feel for J&M fans. This exit does seem rushed. It really should have been bigger and better.

BUT

I do see why DAYS doesn't want to focus too much on J&M before the exit. It makes sense. They probably know they are going to lose a lot of viewers when they leave so why build up the show and make it rely on J&M if you are just going to write them out? I am not saying it's what I would do, but I could see, from the show's standpoint, why they are doing it.

I don't know if I would write a huge exit for them either (on my blog I would, but a blog and the real thing...so different LOL), but their final week would definitely be dedicated to lots of flashbacks and tributes, if I were writing it! I'm not sure why they are not giving J*M fans that, at least.
You're right, that's how they think. The problem with that is that instead of sending them off with happy fans they send them off with pissed off fans. Wouldn't you think it would be better to send off fans with a positive experience, if you ever hope to get that viewer back or at least know that they might tell others they know that Days did them proud by sending their favorites off with a good ending? When I stop watching Days I will not be happy. I will not have a good feeling about Days or NBC. I will tell anyone who will listen to not invest in Days or NBC. Is that really what they want?
At least they're leaving together which is more than Kim and Shane fans got.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I am actually enjoying this Daniel/Chloe Affair storyline.

Poor Lucas...he always gets shit on!

Good promo!

hops
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Jan 12 2009, 08:15 PM
Jiggs
Jan 12 2009, 03:52 AM
King
Jan 11 2009, 02:01 PM
I do feel for J&M fans. This exit does seem rushed. It really should have been bigger and better.

BUT

I do see why DAYS doesn't want to focus too much on J&M before the exit. It makes sense. They probably know they are going to lose a lot of viewers when they leave so why build up the show and make it rely on J&M if you are just going to write them out? I am not saying it's what I would do, but I could see, from the show's standpoint, why they are doing it.

I don't know if I would write a huge exit for them either (on my blog I would, but a blog and the real thing...so different LOL), but their final week would definitely be dedicated to lots of flashbacks and tributes, if I were writing it! I'm not sure why they are not giving J*M fans that, at least.
You're right, that's how they think. The problem with that is that instead of sending them off with happy fans they send them off with pissed off fans. Wouldn't you think it would be better to send off fans with a positive experience, if you ever hope to get that viewer back or at least know that they might tell others they know that Days did them proud by sending their favorites off with a good ending? When I stop watching Days I will not be happy. I will not have a good feeling about Days or NBC. I will tell anyone who will listen to not invest in Days or NBC. Is that really what they want?
At least they're leaving together which is more than Kim and Shane fans got.
The actors that played Kim and Shane were not fired and didn't leave at the same time. It was a completely different set of circumstances.

Mason

SpriteEyes
Jan 12 2009, 08:13 PM
Mikegoldy
Jan 11 2009, 12:22 AM
Beth
Jan 10 2009, 11:26 PM
I am starting to like the Daniel and Chloe storyline as well. Someone please shoot me. :shrug: It's like a trainwreck; I like looking. :embarrassed:
I think it may be the trainwreck appeal lol But there is just something about them that hooks me. For one,
it plays to their abilities lol (love you Nadia and Shawn, but acting isn't what you're best at), and I just enjoy the overall story. I don't know if it's because DAYS doesn't usually do these kinds of stories, or because it's just trashy, but it's certainly fun.
And it's totally unexpected and nobody predicted it.
It's unexpected because it's so random and out of nowhere - something that is not necessarily a good thing.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I understand that people don't like the story, there are plenty of stories I don't like. And yet, I remember how back in 1993 during John and Marlena's affair story, that was hated by a majority of people as well. If I remember correctly, on the message boards on Prodigy (remember Prodigy!?), the biggest complaint was that John was a huge slut, Marlena was a slut, and the story came out of nowhere. Isabella had died in October, and then John hit the sheets with both Marlena and Rebecca soon after, not to mention Kristin soon after that. The Daniel and Chloe story is causing lots of contraversy on the net and posting of their epps on Youtube are getting lots of views. Just sayin :)

Mason

With John and Marlena, there were YEARS of history that led up to the affair. Not to mention chemistry between them. Daniel/Chloe has neither the history nor (IMO) the chemistry to back it up.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 12 2009, 11:37 PM
With John and Marlena, there were YEARS of history that led up to the affair. Not to mention chemistry between them. Daniel/Chloe has neither the history nor (IMO) the chemistry to back it up.
"Chemistry" is an opinion, and at that point there weren't years of history between the characters. It also doesn't change the fact that many disliked the story at the time, and John was a "slut," much like Daniel is said to be now. John bedded 3 women in a one year period after his wife died

Mason

Yeah chemistry is an opinion...that's why I said IMO - in MY opinion.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mikegoldy
Jan 12 2009, 11:50 PM
Mason
Jan 12 2009, 11:37 PM
"Chemistry" is an opinion, and at that point there weren't years of history between the characters. It also doesn't change the fact that many disliked the story at the time, and John was a "slut," much like Daniel is said to be now. John bedded 3 women in a one year period after his wife died
That is a very good point.

J&M really didn't have all that much history either. 1986-1987 and that was it except for the little period from 1991-1992 when they were separated for the most part.

I can see why people have problems with this story so I can't argue with their reasoning. However, as I mentioned a few weeks ago in regards to the Nicole story, it's funny how some stories are picked apart now when pretty much the same stories were LOVED in the 90's. Now, granted the quality was better but there was still alot of holes and alot that needed to be overlooked.

I was just saying on another board that I often look back at stuff I loved in the 80's and 90's and even 2000's for so many shows and cringe. I notice things left and right that are contrived or poorly done. That's not to say that everything was but it is for these reasons that I try to stop being a critic and try to immerse myself in the escapism. I just try to find something to enjoy and try to keep an open mind. However, that is not to say everyone should be like me. Just explaining my perspective.

Mason

PhoenixRising05
Jan 13 2009, 12:02 AM
J&M really didn't have all that much history either. 1986-1987 and that was it except for the little period from 1991-1992 when they were separated for the most part.
Not just with John, but Marlena's history with Roman also played a major factor. My point is, comparing Daniel/Chloe to John/Marlena is like comparing apples and oranges.
Edited by Mason, Jan 13 2009, 12:05 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jan 13 2009, 12:04 AM
PhoenixRising05
Not just with John, but Marlena's history with Roman also played a major factor. My point is, comparing Daniel/Chloe to John/Marlena is like comparing apples and oranges.
Definitely and your right. It is doing just that. I just think goldy had a point in regards to what John did.

hops
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 13 2009, 12:04 AM
PhoenixRising05
I agree. John and Marlena were together and/or married for over a year in 86-87. They had a deep love for each other. When Marlena first came back, it was 91, so there were 2 more years of them in and out of each other's story and there was always this connection between them. There were unresolved feelings between them that always came across in their scenes together. They loved each other, even if they couldn't admit to each other that they were 'in love' with each other. It was a story that grew out of these two character's history with each other and the audience's history with them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply