Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: New Promo!; "A special two week reunion event..."
Topic Started: Jan 9 2009, 11:01 PM (5,277 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 13 2009, 12:08 AM
Mason
Jan 13 2009, 12:04 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 13 2009, 12:02 AM
J&M really didn't have all that much history either. 1986-1987 and that was it except for the little period from 1991-1992 when they were separated for the most part.
Not just with John, but Marlena's history with Roman also played a major factor. My point is, comparing Daniel/Chloe to John/Marlena is like comparing apples and oranges.
Definitely and your right. It is doing just that. I just think goldy had a point in regards to what John did.
Drake made a good point about that at a PA. He said he told TPTB that at least John should have been drunk and had flashes of being with Marlena (when John had to sleep with Rebecca) in fact, Wayne gave him a six pack of beer the day his character slept with her the first time. Needless to say, I wish it had gone Drakes way, lol.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Jan 13 2009, 12:28 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mason
PhoenixRising05
J&M really didn't have all that much history either. 1986-1987 and that was it except for the little period from 1991-1992 when they were separated for the most part.
Not just with John, but Marlena's history with Roman also played a major factor. My point is, comparing Daniel/Chloe to John/Marlena is like comparing apples and oranges.
Definitely and your right. It is doing just that. I just think goldy had a point in regards to what John did.
Drake made a good point about that at a PA. He said he told TPTB that at least John should have been drunk and had flashes of being with Marlena (when John had to sleep with Rebecca) in fact, Wayne gave him a six pack of beer the day his character slept with her the first time. Needless to say, I wish it had gone Drakes way, lol.
Wow...never knew that.

I agree with Drake. It's not surprise though. Days was wildly inconsistent from 1991-around mid 1992. It actually started a little before 1991. I think the COD and Steve's death along with J&J's romance made the period seem better then it was but it really was all over the place. It actually reminds me alot of 2008 on Days. You had good moments and it wasn't horrible but alot of misdirection and you could sense a change and transition coming and it finally hit in 1992.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 13 2009, 12:45 AM
hops
PhoenixRising05
Mason
PhoenixRising05
Wow...never knew that.

I agree with Drake. It's not surprise though. Days was wildly inconsistent from 1991-around mid 1992. It actually started a little before 1991. I think the COD and Steve's death along with J&J's romance made the period seem better then it was but it really was all over the place. It actually reminds me alot of 2008 on Days. You had good moments and it wasn't horrible but alot of misdirection and you could sense a change and transition coming and it finally hit in 1992.
Mid 1992 was when Sheri Anderson came back. Drake's thoughts were from a PA that he and Deidre did just before the audience found out John was the father of Marlena's baby.
Edited by hops, Jan 13 2009, 12:58 AM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Jan 12 2009, 08:15 PM
Jiggs
Jan 12 2009, 03:52 AM
King
Jan 11 2009, 02:01 PM
I do feel for J&M fans. This exit does seem rushed. It really should have been bigger and better.

BUT

I do see why DAYS doesn't want to focus too much on J&M before the exit. It makes sense. They probably know they are going to lose a lot of viewers when they leave so why build up the show and make it rely on J&M if you are just going to write them out? I am not saying it's what I would do, but I could see, from the show's standpoint, why they are doing it.

I don't know if I would write a huge exit for them either (on my blog I would, but a blog and the real thing...so different LOL), but their final week would definitely be dedicated to lots of flashbacks and tributes, if I were writing it! I'm not sure why they are not giving J*M fans that, at least.
You're right, that's how they think. The problem with that is that instead of sending them off with happy fans they send them off with pissed off fans. Wouldn't you think it would be better to send off fans with a positive experience, if you ever hope to get that viewer back or at least know that they might tell others they know that Days did them proud by sending their favorites off with a good ending? When I stop watching Days I will not be happy. I will not have a good feeling about Days or NBC. I will tell anyone who will listen to not invest in Days or NBC. Is that really what they want?
At least they're leaving together which is more than Kim and Shane fans got.
Pease and Shaughnessey weren't fired at the same time either.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 12 2009, 08:43 PM
SpriteEyes
Jan 12 2009, 08:13 PM
Mikegoldy
Jan 11 2009, 12:22 AM
Beth
Jan 10 2009, 11:26 PM
I am starting to like the Daniel and Chloe storyline as well. Someone please shoot me. :shrug: It's like a trainwreck; I like looking. :embarrassed:
I think it may be the trainwreck appeal lol But there is just something about them that hooks me. For one,
it plays to their abilities lol (love you Nadia and Shawn, but acting isn't what you're best at), and I just enjoy the overall story. I don't know if it's because DAYS doesn't usually do these kinds of stories, or because it's just trashy, but it's certainly fun.
And it's totally unexpected and nobody predicted it.
It's unexpected because it's so random and out of nowhere - something that is not necessarily a good thing.
You said exactly what I was thinking! There was no build-up at all, and the fallout is pretty irrelevant to anything as well. Lucas gets hurt again. Big deal. Chloe ends up with Daniel perhaps. So what? Kate is pissed. Oh how original.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mikegoldy
Jan 12 2009, 09:21 PM
I understand that people don't like the story, there are plenty of stories I don't like. And yet, I remember how back in 1993 during John and Marlena's affair story, that was hated by a majority of people as well. If I remember correctly, on the message boards on Prodigy (remember Prodigy!?), the biggest complaint was that John was a huge slut, Marlena was a slut, and the story came out of nowhere. Isabella had died in October, and then John hit the sheets with both Marlena and Rebecca soon after, not to mention Kristin soon after that. The Daniel and Chloe story is causing lots of contraversy on the net and posting of their epps on Youtube are getting lots of views. Just sayin :)
I know a lot of people that couldn't wait for the affair to happen. And the fallout was enormous and played out for practically the whole decade. I seriously doubt anyone will be talking about Daniel and Chloe's affair for ten years, LOL

I can't even imagine how many views affair clips might have gotten if there was a youtube back in 1993!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Jan 12 2009, 11:37 PM
With John and Marlena, there were YEARS of history that led up to the affair. Not to mention chemistry between them. Daniel/Chloe has neither the history nor (IMO) the chemistry to back it up.
Not to mention acting. Shawn Christian's acting has become horrible. All he does is growl in the same tone with the same blank expression. And Nadia can't emote to save her life. It's like watching two robots.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 13 2009, 12:45 AM
hops
PhoenixRising05
Mason
PhoenixRising05
Wow...never knew that.
Do a search for REVCO on Youtube.

Ellie

Jiggs
Jan 13 2009, 03:01 AM
Shawn Christian's acting has become horrible. All he does is growl in the same tone with the same blank expression. And Nadia can't emote to save her life. It's like watching two robots.
ROFL I just used that analogy the other day! They're awful. Nadia delivers all her lines in the same monotone, with this blank stare on her face. When Shawn Christian first started, I didn't mind him as much, but let's just say his playing off of Nadia has brought his acting to a new low.

Ellie

Jiggs
Jan 13 2009, 02:59 AM
I seriously doubt anyone will be talking about Daniel and Chloe's affair for ten years, LOL
Well, we're still talking about Charity Rahmer...

Mason

Ellie
Jan 13 2009, 03:21 AM
Jiggs
I seriously doubt anyone will be talking about Daniel and Chloe's affair for ten years, LOL
LOL!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 13 2009, 03:21 AM
Jiggs
We are?

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Edited.

I get it. No other actors have ever been as badly treated, nor their fans so cruelly tossed aside as D&D or J&M's.

saving my breath to cool my coffee.

Edited by SpriteEyes, Jan 13 2009, 05:21 AM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Jan 13 2009, 05:15 AM
Edited.

I get it. No other actors have ever been as badly treated, nor their fans so cruelly tossed aside as D&D or J&M's.

ROFL!!!

angie

hops
Jan 11 2009, 05:00 PM
And as to 'alienating' the younger viewer, it might surprise you to know just how young the J&M fan base is.
you are absolutely right hops. i am 17 years old and you have no idea how much i LOVE john and marlena and the rest of the vets for that matter. you know how insulted i feel everytime the writers try to appeal to the younger demographic. they make my generation look lame as hell. i know the world now isnt so good or innocent and i know that soaps arent as awesome as the 80's but damn all these bastards need to do is write good stories. isnt that their job? im a teenager and i love the way the show used to be (courtesy of youtube) it was about love passion and romance. i want that and i would rather watch the characters who are old enough to be my parents age because they are so freaking awesome and they made DAYS worth watching!!! trust me the younger crowds would not mind one bit cause i sure as hell dont!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

SpriteEyes
Jan 13 2009, 05:15 AM
Edited.

If I had a high-five emoticon, I'd use it. ;) Hell, it's worth a high-ten.
I do understand the send-off isn't the world's greatest, but I'm getting tired of the J&M ALTAR OF GREATNESS. That bugs me more than the send-off, which I think is pretty sad. For any character. I thought Nicole's last send-off was bad. Don Craig's was bad. Nick's is going to be bad. Hell Daniel and Chloe will probably leave with their tails tucked in. (figuratively speaking). It doesn't seem like ANYONE under this writing regime is getting a nice send-off, so why should J&M be any different? Spare me the years of supercoupledom. Anyone would be upset if it was their favorite getting the same treatment, even if the favorite doesn't "measure up to the awesome" <Insert sarcasm here>
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Obviously, J&M are not the only ones to get a shitty exit, but what would you have people do? List out each and every one of them every time they complain about J&M's exit?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Jan 13 2009, 09:29 PM
Obviously, J&M are not the only ones to get a shitty exit, but what would you have people do? List out each and every one of them every time they complain about J&M's exit?
The point I'm trying to make, Mason, is that when people do mention it (other characters), it shouldn't be belittled as be not as worthy because it's not J&M. And, yes, people DO complain about it. Or, they chalk it up as being part of the business. Sure, they've been on for years, BUT they are not infallible. We know about it, and wailing and gnashing of teeth isn't going to make it better. Certainly, belittling others who bring up other characters who had less than stellar exits makes those doing the belittling sound like sour grapes.

And now, my famous Fo'est Gump quote: "That's all I'm gonna say 'bout that."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

^ I agree that the other actors/actresses who have been wronged shouldn't be belittled, but it seems like some people are taking the attitude that fans of J&M shouldn't be complaining just because they're not the only characters to be treated like this. And that isn't right, either.

thereyougo

jane1978
Jan 10 2009, 08:17 PM
Manny
Jan 10 2009, 10:42 AM
So we've know for MONTHS that John and Marlena are leaving the show, yet they couldn't make an exit STORYLINE for them? They give them a "two week event"? Ridiculous... John and Marlena should have had a MONTHS of storyline leading up to their departure. And when I say months, I mean months on front burner...

But it doesn't surprise me. They did the same with Carrie and Austin and some others in the past as well.

I was interested to watch Marlena and John's departure, but I'm not sure I will now.
This is not true. They were fired at the end of November. And for some reason they had to tape the last episode before the christmas studio dark which started at December 22. So even if the writers knew a little sooner than it was officially announced, they still had only 3 weeks to rewrite the already prepared scripts, create some quick but not completely pointless end of Dr. Taylor storyline and send Jarlena away.
They were told early Nov. which means tiic knew at least in Oct. they were on their way out, that gave them three months to write an interesting exit. But this crapfest of writers haven't been able to write a decent story for a year, so time really has nothing to do with the crap we're getting for J/M.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply