Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Corday interview about Deidre and Drake; Jan. 27th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jan 14 2009, 12:02 PM (7,335 Views)
Ellie

[Note: The SOD article also contains information about J&M's final scenes, but that will be combined with the information in an SOW article and posted in a separate thread.]

SOD interviews Ken Corday in this week's issue about the firing of Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn.

- SOD says that on Deidre and Drake's last day, there was "no cake or fanfare at their request".

- Corday says, "They're fantastic." He praises them and says he's grateful for the time they've given to the show and their characters. He says it was a very hard decision to make, but it was one he had to make, and he stands behind it.

- Corday also says that "It was a decision we had to make to make room for story because budgetary concerns are so heavy." He explains that the show cannot tell as much story as they want for whomever they'd like, and "it had come time for their story to come full circle."

- Corday also says that "It wasn't a matter of price, it was a matter of airtime and resting the characters."

- However, Corday clarifies that "It was a creative decision and I don't want to say it wasn't a financial decision." Corday says the show's deal with NBC made a smaller cast necessary.

- Corday says the show never asked Deidre or Drake to take a paycut.

- Corday concludes by saying that "the door isn't closed". He says the characters "leave happily", and things don't have an end on soap operas, so "one never knows".
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Thanks Ellie!

Corday is one of the biggest flip-floppers that's that's ever lived...... :shame:

Ellie

Rhiannon
Jan 14 2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks Ellie!

Corday is one of the biggest flip-floppers that's that's ever lived...... :shame:
You're welcome! Honestly I had to do the summary in this outline form because I really could not follow what he was saying. When someone changes his mind every paragraph, it's extremely difficult to summarize, lol. Sounds to me like Corday doesn't even have the 'spin' he wants to present clear in his own head.

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie. So it was a budget issue, but it wasn't a budget issue. That sounds like typical Corday. I'm not sure the guy could give a straight answer if his life depended on it.

I'm still convinced that he has plans for bringing them back. Whether it will actually happen is a whole other story. And you gotta love the "they leave happily" remark. Paralyzed from the neck down, but happy.

Ellie

esp13
Jan 14 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks Ellie. So it was a budget issue, but it wasn't a budget issue.
Exactly!! :wizard:

Quote:

I'm still convinced that he has plans for bringing them back. Whether it will actually happen is a whole other story.
Maybe in his own head he does, but D&D are definitely fired, filmed their last scene, cleaned out their dressing rooms, etc.

Quote:

And you gotta love the "they leave happily" remark. Paralyzed from the neck down, but happy.
Yep, that jumped out at me too. He did the same thing to Martha Madison - the show made her spew lines about how she was so excited to leave Salem.

esp13
Member Avatar

Quote:

Maybe in his own head he does, but D&D are definitely fired, filmed their last scene, cleaned out their dressing rooms, etc.

Oh yeah, I realize that. I just think, as you say, he has plans in his own little brain for a triumphant return down the line. I don't have any proof of it or anything, just my gut read of the situation.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie. :)

Corday should have just left it at being a financial decision. When he talks about "airtime", he makes it sound as if they had to go because they were hogging the screen, when we all know that's not the case. :drunk:

I wonder if this decision was ultimately made by Tomlin and that's why Corday is having trouble spinning the reason why it's being done. :shrug:

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

esp13
Jan 14 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks Ellie. So it was a budget issue, but it wasn't a budget issue.
Well, yeah. Clearly.

niki

God I hate the so-called 'reporting' of these magazines. Instead of letting Corday prattle on about his thoughts, disjointed as they are - why not a decent Q&A about the whole issue - it's not like they haven't received enough post from pissed-off readers to know what questions they should ask!! Actually asking the question of how you can call it happy when John's paralysed?

3martinilunch
Member Avatar

Thanks so much for posting this!

Although I can't say that reading this didn't just have me entirely upset. I'm VERY upset about this. I can't believe how wishy washy this interview sounded and how much B.S. Ken Corday was spouting. I'm so upset about this whole thing. Ugh.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie ....

At first I was kind of surprised there was no big or even small good bye party for Dee and Drake - but I have switched my mind a bit it could actually be a good sign that it's not a good bye forever so a good bye party would not be appropriate at this time.

It will be interesting to see if Dee and Drake after their last airdate come out with any behind the scenes tidbits. At this point no one seems to be closing the door. Or really making any negative comments for that matter.
Edited by cjknick, Jan 14 2009, 12:38 PM.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

What a bunch of BS,he needs to stop with the ''door isn't closed'' crap,Deidre Hall HERSELF said there is NO PLANS for a return so he needs to stop making it like there is one,to say this article pissed me off would be an understatement and the ''characters leave happy'',oh yeah cause I can totally see John being happy about being PARALYZED from the neck down. :flipoff:

Kyrai

niki
Jan 14 2009, 12:25 PM
God I hate the so-called 'reporting' of these magazines. Instead of letting Corday prattle on about his thoughts, disjointed as they are - why not a decent Q&A about the whole issue - it's not like they haven't received enough post from pissed-off readers to know what questions they should ask!! Actually asking the question of how you can call it happy when John's paralysed?
That is the question I want asked and an answer for. How can he call someone having a stroke and being paralyzed from the waist down a happy ending. The interview makes no sense. I really don't understand why SOD would even bother publishing it. I'd have just put one-liner saying D&D were not fired because they refused to take a paycut.

At this point, I really don't care why they were fired. I just hope D&D move on to better things, but I'd really like to know why tptb felt the need to incapacitate John and completely destroy any semblance of a decent exit for J&M. This is like watching the finale of the Fugitive (the tv series) and having Lt. Gerard realize Kimble is innocent after the one-armed man has shot him, causing a stroke, and paralysis. Would viewers have been happy if the final view of Kimble was acquitted, but in a wheelchair being wheeled out of the courtroom likely paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life?

Thanks for posting the interview though Ellie.

jane1978

cjknick
Jan 14 2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting Ellie ....

At first I was kind of surprised there was no big or even small good bye party for Dee and Drake - but I have switched my mind a bit it could actually be a good sign that it's not a good bye forever so a good bye party would not be appropriate at this time.

It will be interesting to see if Dee and Drake after their last airdate come out with any behind the scenes tidbits. At this point no one seems to be closing the door. Or really making any negative comments for that matter.
There is no reason for negative comments. Deidre and Drake were fired, yes, but thatīs a normal thing in showbusiness. It doesnīt change the fact both are milionairs and saved for the rest of their lives thanks to Corday. How many actors is that lucky?

Ellie

jane1978
Jan 14 2009, 01:03 PM
There is no reason for negative comments. Deidre and Drake were fired, yes, but thatīs a normal thing in showbusiness.
Really? No reason? I beg to differ. I don't think it's a "normal thing" at all for a show to fire two of its stars (many might say, 'its two stars'), especially after they've both worked there so long. Further, not only is the show firing them, but they're giving them a pathetic exit story which is a complete insult to their characters. I'd say there's plenty of room for negative comments and that this is not a "normal thing" at all.

Ansku
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie!

Iīm still upset the way they are leaving.. Not the happy ending I was waiting to see... :'(

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

So Hall and Hogestyn weren't fired because of financial reason? Corday pretty much just threw Higley and the creative department under the bus with that line. This was a creative decision. NBC forced a smaller cast on them, so everyone had to decide who was getting cut. Higley probably threw John and Marlena's names in that hat because she clearly can't write for them. That's the situation I'm seeing this as. She's proven that the past year. She doesn't get them, as individuals or as a couple. Why write for them then? I don't fault Higley for wanting to be rid of John and Marlena. Why would you want to write for a couple you don't like? In my old fan fiction, I wrote out Bo and Hope because I'm not a fan of theirs. And instead of just having them sit on the sidelines, I got rid of them. This time around, I'm getting rid of John and Marlena because I can't think of any stories for them right now. I understand why they're getting rid of the computers, creatively.

I am somewhat disappointed to learn Hall and Hogestyn declined a cake. I'm not calling them out on being bitter, but declining that offer, does make them sound a little upset. And they have everyone reason to be, don't get me wrong.

annn1
Member Avatar

when Dedre was talking about her last day recording,she started to cry.it was really hard for her,to talk about her last day on the set.i can understad that they did not want a party,to emmotional for them...Drake did not want a party las year when he had to leave...Dedre said that the person that does the countdown started to choke/cry when they counted down for her the last scene......

and also ...i read on the sonyboards that Gary Tomlin was the one that wanted Dedre and Drake gone,and he kept on pushing to he got it....it was not Higleys ide,but if the woman could write......Dedre and Drake would never had gone in the first place...

jane1978

Ellie
Jan 14 2009, 01:22 PM
jane1978
Jan 14 2009, 01:03 PM
There is no reason for negative comments. Deidre and Drake were fired, yes, but thatīs a normal thing in showbusiness.
Really? No reason? I beg to differ. I don't think it's a "normal thing" at all for a show to fire two of its stars (many might say, 'its two stars'), especially after they've both worked there so long. Further, not only is the show firing them, but they're giving them a pathetic exit story which is a complete insult to their characters. I'd say there's plenty of room for negative comments and that this is not a "normal thing" at all.
Why itīs not normal? First, I really donīt think John/Marlena are stars of the show, not anymore. And second, so many primetime shows and soaps had to eventually get rid of its popular stars because the actors became too expensive. While the popularity has already reached its peak the cost still rises or at best stay flat. And eventually there comes a point where itīs not worthy to keep the actors anymore.

I mean, nobody can say Corday didnīt try to keep them as long as possible. He tried to solve the problem through pay cuts, extensive leaves and lower quarantess even if that meant they canīt be in any real leading story anyway. Iīm sure it would be even worse after the latest cuts. Should the show keep them even if they could use them basically as premium extras? Is it worthy?

Letīs not forget for the money Dee alone makes the show can pay two very popular actress like Alison Sweeney, from tree to five fairly popular actors like JKJ, and 10 or even more newbies like Melanie (based on the salary estimates I read on SON).

e83talus
Member Avatar

It was budget.
It was creative.
It was budgeative.

He is such a supreme a---hole!
I hate this show!

I have no doubt from Deidre's chat that she is pissed saddened, and dismayed. It is too soon for either Dee or Drake to comment because they have been on this show for over 20 and 30 years respectively and it is very emotional for them right now. Being employed and involved with any project or relationship for this amount of time is difficult and it amazes me that people who simply don't like J&M or even D&D can't sympathize with the ending of a longterm relationship in such a cavalier way.

Ken deserves all the hate mail that he is due to receive! So does Dena and her "Creative" team.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply