Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Corday interview about Deidre and Drake; Jan. 27th issue; Article Summary
Topic Started: Jan 14 2009, 12:02 PM (7,430 Views)
Vandoodle
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 14 2009, 12:02 PM
[Note: The SOD article also contains information about J&M's final scenes, but that will be combined with the information in an SOW article and posted in a separate thread.]

SOD interviews Ken Corday in this week's issue about the firing of Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn.

- SOD says that on Deidre and Drake's last day, there was "no cake or fanfare at their request".

- Corday says, "They're fantastic." He praises them and says he's grateful for the time they've given to the show and their characters. He says it was a very hard decision to make, but it was one he had to make, and he stands behind it.

- Corday also says that "It was a decision we had to make to make room for story because budgetary concerns are so heavy." He explains that the show cannot tell as much story as they want for whomever they'd like, and "it had come time for their story to come full circle."

- Corday also says that "It wasn't a matter of price, it was a matter of airtime and resting the characters."

- However, Corday clarifies that "It was a creative decision and I don't want to say it wasn't a financial decision." Corday says the show's deal with NBC made a smaller cast necessary.

- Corday says the show never asked Deidre or Drake to take a paycut.

- Corday concludes by saying that "the door isn't closed". He says the characters "leave happily", and things don't have an end on soap operas, so "one never knows".
:huh: Very confusing :huh:

Thanks for posting Ellie
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Thanks as I don't get the mags and really appreciate these posts. So as I see it Corday sold out the shows two top stars to keep the likes of what and who we are seeing? Deidre and Drake are so much better than the younger bunch and are so much more wanted. It sounds so cut and dry and Dee and Drake were the ones hung out to dry so we can watch Mel, Stef, Chels and that bunch. What a day day for Days and the fans. To me it sounds like he sold them and us down the river without a blink. No offer of a pay cut just your fired. GMAFB. :moon:

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've thought about another reason why getting rid of Deidre is a terrible move. There will be no diva presence anymore. I don't mean that in a bad way either. Every other soap has some sort of iconic diva force on their show, with Deidre gone that presence is as well.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

I'm not even going to bother reading the interview. I'm sure it's just the same old shit from Corday about how none of it is his fault. :eyeroll:

jane1978

esp13
Jan 14 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks Ellie. So it was a budget issue, but it wasn't a budget issue. That sounds like typical Corday. I'm not sure the guy could give a straight answer if his life depended on it.

I'm still convinced that he has plans for bringing them back. Whether it will actually happen is a whole other story. And you gotta love the "they leave happily" remark. Paralyzed from the neck down, but happy.
I actually understand what he is trying to say. Itīs mainly budget because if they had enough money to keep them they wouldnīt have to solve this problem at all. But because the demanded cuts they had to reevalute the cast and decide what characters/couples they want to keep and who can be let go. And thatīs creative decision. If they had some big story for Jarlena, letīs say something like another possesion, they would find a way to keep them the same like Tomlin found a way (and money) to keep JKJ.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Amello
Jan 14 2009, 02:20 PM
I've thought about another reason why getting rid of Deidre is a terrible move. There will be no diva presence anymore. I don't mean that in a bad way either. Every other soap has some sort of iconic diva force on their show, with Deidre gone that presence is as well.
That's where Alison Sweeney comes in. :lol:

e83talus
Member Avatar

Amello
ICAM.

AMC - Erica Kane/Susan Lucci
OLTL - Vicki Buchanan/Erika Slezak
Y&R - Nikki Newman/Melody Thomas Scott
GL - Reva Lewis/Kim Zimmer
B&B - Stephanie Forrester/Susan Flannery
ATWT - Lucinda Williams?/Elizabeth Hubbard (I haven't watched in years so correct this if I am wrong)

Days - Marlena Evans/Deidre Hall (Noone else fits this bill)

didi

It seems like a planned plot of CORDAY AND HIGLEY....YACKS...

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Corday should really just keep his mouth shut..

Ellie

doolcrazy
Thanks as I don't get the mags and really appreciate these posts. So as I see it Corday sold out the shows two top stars to keep the likes of what and who we are seeing? Deidre and Drake are so much better than the younger bunch and are so much more wanted. It sounds so cut and dry and Dee and Drake were the ones hung out to dry so we can watch Mel, Stef, Chels and that bunch. What a day day for Days and the fans. To me it sounds like he sold them and us down the river without a blink. No offer of a pay cut just your fired. GMAFB.
You're very welcome. Great post - I agree, that's exactly what Corday did. I really don't know how he sleeps at night.

annn1
Member Avatar

i am guessing that the ratings will be high on friday 23,for the last eps with jarlena....it is going to be fun to see the ratings the week after.....will it hold orr will it drop?

jules

Thanks Ellie. I hate Corday and ITA with the others if that's all he can come up with, he should just shut up. He didn't say anything new from what he said when he fired them. These two actors worked for him for all those years and he's more concerned about himself and how hard it was for HIM! For once be gracious and stop all the ridiculous double talk. He can't actually believe this is a happy ending, can he? And as far as having no story for them, as they leave they have more story to tell (dealing with John's paralysis and being apart for over a year, getting revenge etc) than most of the characters left on the canvas.
Edited by jules, Jan 14 2009, 04:18 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Daytime
Member Avatar

Aw hell, Corday is full of sh*t!!!

kieron

Ellie
Jan 14 2009, 12:02 PM
- However, Corday clarifies that "It was a creative decision and I don't want to say it wasn't a financial decision." Corday says the show's deal with NBC made a smaller cast necessary.

How does this clarify anything? "I don't want to say it wasn't a financial decision." Isn't that a double negative? Hell, I can't even figure out what the translation of all this is -- how annoying.

Anyway, thanks for posting Ellie --

Kenny
Member Avatar

e83talus
Jan 14 2009, 02:06 PM
It was budget.
It was creative.
It was budgeative.
LoL, precisely!

I don't understand how Corday can say that it wasn't a financial decision, then turn around and say that it had to be done because the network was demanding a smaller cast -- in other words, financial.

Basically, NBC gave the show a smaller budget and Corday/Higley decided who to cut. I blame Corday just as much as Higley, because the article flat out says that "it was a decision he had to make, and he stands behind it."

Regardless, I don't understand his little tease that "one never knows what will happen in the future." I'm so sick of him cutting popular characters and using that tease as a way of softening the blow, as if anyone's buying the crap he's selling. I don't believe for two seconds that the show's budget will magically increase anytime between now and its final episode, so there's no reason to believe that Deidre and Drake will be brought back. If by some miracle they do come back to the show, it just proves what a flip-flopping clueless idiot Corday is for never being able to make the right decision the first time.

Kyrai

jules
Jan 14 2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks Ellie. I hate Corday and ITA with the others if that's all he can come up with, he should just shut up. He didn't say anything new from what he said when he fired them. These two actors worked for him for all those years and he's more concerned about himself and how hard it was for HIM! For once be gracious and stop all the ridiculous double talk. He can't actually believe this is a happy ending, can he? And as far as having no story for them, as they leave they have more story to tell (dealing with John's paralysis and being apart for over a year, getting revenge etc) than most of the characters left on the canvas.
So true.

ilovemydays

WTF? Who is this man's publicist? All he had to say was, "Dee and Drake are lovely people and tremendous talents. They have brought so much to the show and to my life. I wish them the best and thank them from the bottom of my heart for their many years of dedication. I refuse to formally say goodbye because in this industry you just never know...I hope to be working with them again someday." Nice, meaningless drivel.

His 'interview' made no sense!

Kenny
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
Jan 14 2009, 04:35 PM
His 'interview' made no sense!
Really, he's such a rambling moron.

"I'm firing them because we don't have the money for them. No, no... that's not it! I'm firing them because the characters are played out and need rest. No, actually, it's because we can't afford a big cast. But it's not financial at all. The characters just suck and need to disappear forever. Actually, nevermind! I want them back and refuse to say goodbye. I just can't bring them back right now because we can't afford them... er, I mean, the characters are tired. Have a nice day! P.S. they'll be back. Nevermind, no they won't."

Mason

Kenny
Jan 14 2009, 04:46 PM
"I'm firing them because we don't have the money for them. No, no... that's not it! I'm firing them because the characters are played out and need rest. No, actually, it's because we can't afford a big cast. But it's not financial at all. The characters just suck and need to disappear forever. Actually, nevermind! I want them back and refuse to say goodbye. I just can't bring them back right now because we can't afford them... er, I mean, the characters are tired. Have a nice day! P.S. they'll be back. Nevermind, no they won't."
LMAO! What a dead on Corday impersonation.

Ellie

Kenny
Jan 14 2009, 04:28 PM
Regardless, I don't understand his little tease that "one never knows what will happen in the future."
I think I do. (Scary.) I think I've posted this before, but it's clear to me that Corday wants to lose the actors but keep their fans. That's why even in the original statement he made to SOD, he said the characters would be "off-screen for an unknown period of time." lol I wish Deidre had said that to Zucker when he called her - "It's ok Jeff, I'm only fired for an unknown period of time."

Meanwhile I'm guessing that we'll see phone calls to J&M on the show - for example, Sami will call Marlena, or Brady will email them, so that Corday can avoid paying D&D but keep their fans on a leash. Well, this fan at least isn't falling for his BS.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply