Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: Nicole wants Sami's baby!; Jan 27th issues; Summary of articles
Topic Started: Jan 14 2009, 01:00 PM (5,319 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jan 16 2009, 04:28 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 16 2009, 04:26 PM
Y&R has always been the exception LOL (except under LML).

That show also does things no other shows don't. It has fans that expect great, intelligent drama. Plain and simple. They don't have to worry about fanbases nor do they have an incompetent buffoon of an EP. They have strong leadership and allow their writers to actually write and get their vision across. Makes a big difference when there is no interference and you can just simply write and put out good drama. No one couple has to be together. There is no expectation that you have to have only certain kinds of stories like romance, adventure, etc. That is why Y&R is so successful and why it always will be.
But if there is an exception, then there can be others. What I'm having such a hard time with in your post is that you've made it sound like some sort of "predictability wall" has been hit across the board. I think it's the writers, and if Y&R writers are talented enough to come up with this, then there are undoubtedly other writers out there too who are as well. Unfortunately, none of them are writing for soaps.
They can come up with it because there are no barriers. Most other soaps have barriers whether it's in the form of expectations, fanbases, interference, or what have you.

Hogan tried to inject a little of Y&R into Days and look what happened. Between interference and many fans not embracing it, it never took off and that is a shame because I really think that was the best writing this show had in ages.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 16 2009, 04:30 PM
They can come up with it because there are no barriers. Most other soaps have barriers whether it's in the form of expectations, fanbases, interference, or what have you.
DAYS could be successful if they just forgot about all of that. They don't know until they try. The truth is just that they're cowards, and they're not getting a free pass from me for that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jan 16 2009, 04:33 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 16 2009, 04:30 PM
DAYS could be successful if they just forgot about all of that. They don't know until they try. The truth is just that they're cowards, and they're not getting a free pass from me for that.
Absolutely and they have. That is what they are doing now and why the vets are now nothing more then supporting players. The sad part is the chance of interference will always be there with Corday.

I only wish they did this under Hogan because I would feel more secure in that but, alas, it's over.

The show could do better but I like the way it's going. I just think they need to cut Higley loose because she is holding it down a bit.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 16 2009, 04:35 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Storylines have been recycled over and over again in daytime's history. That's not the problem. I don't have a problem with storylines being recycled. However, I do have a problem when the writers are lazy and don't "freshen up" the storyline at all. They have a whole brand new set of characters that they're going to center this story around. There are ways to write an old story around new characters and make it fresh and new and exciting.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Jan 16 2009, 04:35 PM
Storylines have been recycled over and over again in daytime's history. That's not the problem. I don't have a problem with storylines being recycled. However, I do have a problem when the writers are lazy and don't "freshen up" the storyline at all. They have a whole brand new set of characters that they're going to center this story around. There are ways to write an old story around new characters and make it fresh and new and exciting.
Exactly.

For me, it's happening, at least in this story. I can understand how for others they feel it's too similar and that is fine. I won't argue that. What I'm arguing is that Days isn't the only one doing it and some do act like it is. It's not an excuse. I was just trying to be fair and point out how others do it too.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 16 2009, 04:37 PM
For me, it's happening, at least in this story. I can understand how for others they feel it's too similar and that is fine. I won't argue that. What I'm arguing is that Days isn't the only one doing it and some do act like it is. It's not an excuse. I was just trying to be fair and point out how others do it too.
Maybe DAYS is the only show they watch, so to them, DAYS is the only show doing it. There's no point dragging other shows into this because it's about DAYS. GH sucks right now. GL sucks right now. ATWT sucks right now. B&B sucks right now. Does that mean DAYS has to suck? No!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Jan 16 2009, 04:39 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 16 2009, 04:37 PM
Maybe DAYS is the only show they watch, so to them, DAYS is the only show doing it. There's no point dragging other shows into this because it's about DAYS. GH sucks right now. GL sucks right now. ATWT sucks right now. B&B sucks right now. Does that mean DAYS has to suck? No!
Your right but, even if they don't watch those, I still feel it's worth it to point it out because it is a widespread issue.

That doesn't mean Days has to suck or to contribute to it. Just saying.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Jan 14 2009, 07:40 PM
I love that we have a debate between EJole and EJami fans about who is worse. One woman is hiding her pregnancy and planning on giving the baby away (at least as far as we know now). The other has lied about the existence of a baby for months and is planning on obtaining another baby to make sure EJ never knows that she lost their baby.

Are we really going to debate which one is worse? They are both doing ridiculously hurtful things. Is Nicole really that much better because she's going to give EJ a baby to love? Is Sami that much better because she thinks she's protecting her child? Puhleeze, they are both totally and completely wrong and I hope EJ says to hell with both of them when he finds out.
Ironies abound! :D

Both ladies should be dumped. As much as I love Ari, I'm not liking what they're doing to Nicole and it would be STUPID for them to write EJ as going to either one of them right now.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Jan 15 2009, 12:27 AM
brimike
Jan 15 2009, 12:26 AM
Wow, I really want James Scott to completely leave this storyline in the lurch, screwing everybody over in the process. It would serve these bozos right..
LoL! A part of me is really hoping JS doesn't renew his contract, just to see the shit hit the fan. Bahaha!
Mason, I've actually be wishing that for quite a while. I'm willing to bet that if given a better opportunity, we might see the last of Mr. Scott on Days.

Rafesgurl
Member Avatar

I don't know if I can sit through another baby switching. This stuff has been goin on for I don't know how long....

Why don't they just let the women have these babies and let them go home, no switching, or napping. Just go home and love their children like they are suppose to, lol

People wouldn't know what to think then, just once be normal! :blink: :peek:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Rafesgurl
Jan 18 2009, 07:46 AM
I don't know if I can sit through another baby switching. This stuff has been goin on for I don't know how long....

Why don't they just let the women have these babies and let them go home, no switching, or napping. Just go home and love their children like they are suppose to, lol

People wouldn't know what to think then, just once be normal! :blink: :peek:
Now THERE's a twist!! :D

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i completely agree that it's silly to defend either sami or nicole at this point. what i am sorry about is that the characters had to be written so ridiculously to make this story work. as much as i dislike sami, i can't ever see her giving up her kid to an orphanage, even temporarily, because she is scared of stefano. the old sami would have kidnapped johnny and gone on the lam with him and her new baby. i also can't see nicole wanting sami's baby--ever. i also can't reconcile her recent conversations with mia with her now cavalierly handing mia's baby off to sami when she swore to take care of it. i guess i just don't see the need to demonize these two characters just to make the baby switch work. there are other ways that this could have been done without making either sami or nicole totally unworthy of ej. another reason i have a problem with this storyline is because it appears that everything is being set up to make sami the weepy innocent heroine in the whole thing, and frankly, it irritates me to see sami become one of those characters. it just doesn't work for the actress or the character.

zyona

No shit!! hell spoilers doesn't have to tell us where this is going!!! :huh: :flipoff:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I was hoping against hope Nicole accidentally got Sami's baby, not on purpose. Oh, well, c'est la vie.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I think I have totally given up hope on this story...sad to say. It reminds me of Santeen: when I first heard about it, I couldn't wait. I was glued to the story because I didn't know what would happen or how it would play out and it involved all my faves, then....SHIT. The ending sucked, nothing flowed, characters were ruined (totally fucked over Santo) and the story was so disappointing.

luv summed it up brilliantly. Nicole and Sami are acting so damn strange and I don't buy it from anyone. I have absolutely no sympathy for any character, with the exception of maybe EJ...just because he is being played a fool when he is just trying to be a nice, decent guy for once.

Story is ruined, characters are ruined, and I don't buy that anyone is better than anyone in this story. Can we just have a "do over" with the past few months?

Nicole Walker

I still root for Nicole, no matter how f'd up she is right now!

ges
Member Avatar

Dr. Baker bursts into the DiMera mansion to demand money for his part in Nicole's scheme. She gives him a vase off the mantle. Money is never mentioned again. Nuns are stupid, gullible fools.
Sorry, but I don' think Rabbis would be portrayed the same.
Stephano almost has a heartattack and is overcome with grief when he finds out that John has been attacked and is paralyzed. huh?
Roman and Marlena have lost complete interest in their daughter's safety. Also, Belle and Claire who?
Nicole tells E.J. that she must go to Chicago to give advice to unwed teenage mothers and he believes her. O.K. stop laughing.
After Sammi begs Lucas not to tell anyone, under any circumstances, to give away her location because someone is trying to kill her, he tells chloe the min. he sees her.
Lucas is thinking about moving out of state with the baby. Not a judge in the world. In fact, her children would be alowed to stay with her and either E.J. or Lucas could chose to go with her if they chose. You don't lose your kids because you are in the federal witness program.
I could go on and on about the sloppy writing, but one thing brightened my day. Kayla admitted that Salem Hospital was a shitty hospital and he needed to be airlifted to Sweden (those clever Swedes!) in order to have any hope of a cure. Knowing Dana she will drag out this baby switch until the kids arre ten years old. Nicole will never get what is coming to her, and the only character left with a brain is Victor. This is so sad. I can't believe I will never see Marlena again.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply