Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for wk of January 26th; *UPDATED 1/20*
Topic Started: Jan 15 2009, 03:18 PM (7,338 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Why the hell does the killer/Rafe stuff need to go on for four days straight? It could be done in two!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

If they do it in two, what else is there? There kind of aren't that many storylines to work with right now.

Mason
Member Avatar

px780
Jan 17 2009, 12:50 AM
If they do it in two, what else is there? There kind of aren't that many storylines to work with right now.
That's Higley's problem, not ours.

jane1978

Mason
Jan 16 2009, 11:08 PM
Why the hell does the killer/Rafe stuff need to go on for four days straight? It could be done in two!
Because there will be a lot of drama with Mia and Sami´s deliveries. So the Rafe/killer stuff will be on only a few mins per day to make it even more dramatic.

Weird anyone who survived through Reilly´s school of dragging is surprised by this. Four days combined with other dramatic stuff is still pretty tame, with Reilly it would be atleast two weeks.

ges
Member Avatar

you have got to be kidding me. At least two things are consistant. Higley is a steaming pile of elephant dung, and Nicole is a mean, rotten bitch.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Jan 17 2009, 06:10 AM
Mason
Because there will be a lot of drama with Mia and Sami´s deliveries. So the Rafe/killer stuff will be on only a few mins per day to make it even more dramatic.

Weird anyone who survived through Reilly´s school of dragging is surprised by this. Four days combined with other dramatic stuff is still pretty tame, with Reilly it would be atleast two weeks.

I was about to say the same.

I don't like the dragging but Days did it constantly under JER so it's funny that some of the people that gush about his run hate this kind of thing now LOL.

Having said that, it is stupid. i get what they are trying to do but the pacing on this show needs to improve. They don't line things up well enough and, if they were to, they wouldn't have to use this kind of pacing. JER was always good at long-term story pacing but in the short-term, I found myself hating what he did most of the time.

Mason
Member Avatar

Who said I liked things being dragged out to the point of absurdity under JER? Just because it was done then, doesn't make it any better that it's being done now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Jan 17 2009, 03:21 PM
Who said I liked things being dragged out to the point of absurdity under JER? Just because it was done then, doesn't make it any better that it's being done now.
Well, I didn't mention you by name LOL.

All I was saying is that people gush about his first run and never mention that it had just as many plot holes, contrivances, pacing issues, etc as we do now and, no, that doesn't make it ok. I'm not saying anyone should accept it. Maybe people's tastes have changed. I was just pointing it out.

The difference IMO is we had a better writing team and the stories were somewhat better and there was no doubt he was getting his vision across so there was an allowance for more buildup and things clicked better. However, he still relied on a great deal on fans just going for the ride, no matter how absurd what he was writing was. That and things were much fresher. Now, if you don't have a strong enough writer and team, it doesn't work as well as back then. I may enjoy the show right now but I acknowledge that it could be so much better, starting with getting rid of Higley.

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 17 2009, 03:32 PM
Mason
Jan 17 2009, 03:21 PM
Well, I didn't mention you by name LOL.
I know. I was responding moreso to Jane.

Rafesgurl
Member Avatar

Mason
It surprising that they would have Rafe and Sami on almost for a full week,seeing that they were only on Mondays and Fridays forever...

But I like them and Im glad that they are allowing them to be on!

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 17 2009, 03:19 PM
I don't like the dragging but Days did it constantly under JER so it's funny that some of the people that gush about his run hate this kind of thing now LOL.

Having said that, it is stupid.
I think the gripe is less about the fact that it will drag on for the entire week and more about the fact that the story isn't worth a crap. Nobody wants to see a boring story drag on for that long. That's the problem. During JER's first run, the storylines were actually entertaining all the way through, so the dragging was frustrating in a good way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jan 17 2009, 07:17 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 17 2009, 03:19 PM

Having said that, it is stupid.
I think the gripe is less about the fact that it will drag on for the entire week and more about the fact that the story isn't worth a crap. Nobody wants to see a boring story drag on for that long. That's the problem. During JER's first run, the storylines were actually entertaining all the way through, so the dragging was frustrating in a good way.
Well, as I said in the other thread, the stories were always good but sometimes some of the absurdities took me, personally, out of it so that hurt my entertainment considerably.

But, sure, if you dislike Sami and Rafe, then I can see why it's worse off for you. Personally, the dragging pace sucks whether the stories are entertaining or not. At least with this, it seems the WP story is nearing an end. That alone should make some happy LOL.

jane1978

Rafesgurl
Jan 17 2009, 04:49 PM
Mason
It surprising that they would have Rafe and Sami on almost for a full week,seeing that they were only on Mondays and Fridays forever...

But I like them and Im glad that they are allowing them to be on!
That´s easy. They pretaped some amount of WP stuff and they pretaped Sami´s delivery stuff.

They don´t have to pretape any Rafe/killer stuff without Sami involved, so they can use them as much as they want. And this is the finale of the killer stuff, as he will be finally caught, so it deserves to be dealt in more than one episode.

Personally, I liked it. I think it will be a very good week with all the important stories progressing and I love the new twist with Kayla recognizing him. I hope it is somewhat connected with the Bo´s vision.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I'm not gonna bash it beforehand & some of it sounds interesting.

I'm more shocked that both babies make it. I thought for sure Mia's baby wouldn't and they would get switched and Sami thinks her baby's dead.

Never in my dreams did I think that Sami would end up with Mia's baby. How does that end? With Sami and Mia just exchanging them back as if they grabbed the wrong shopping carts?

Ellie

jane1978
Jan 17 2009, 06:10 AM
Mason

I think it's two completely different ideas. JER's pacing, while not liked by all, was consistent across the board. However, Dena seems to have some stories in slo-mo, while others are in fast-forward and cover major plot points each day for a week. I understand why that's probably necessary for the J&M story this week, but I think Mason has a valid point concerning the Sami/Rafe spoilers. Why does Dena need to speed that up too? I think that when the various stories are paced differently from each other, it's very disconcerting to the viewers. My personal opinion is that Days viewers as a whole do much better with slow pacing. I think that's one reason that Hogan's writing was such a jolt; he came shortly after JER, and his stories seemed to move at about twice the pace.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

SpriteEyes
Jan 18 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm not gonna bash it beforehand & some of it sounds interesting.

I'm more shocked that both babies make it. I thought for sure Mia's baby wouldn't and they would get switched and Sami thinks her baby's dead.

Never in my dreams did I think that Sami would end up with Mia's baby. How does that end? With Sami and Mia just exchanging them back as if they grabbed the wrong shopping carts?
No. That would be too blatantly OLTL.

pagraves
Member Avatar

I'm not sure I agree that the Days viewers liked the JER style of slow pacing. I actually found Sheffer's pacing far superior, even if it was faster than people were used to, because things actually happened and you didn't have the same conversations happening every single day for a month (see the whole rooftop party where EJ and Sami were talking endlessly about whether Sami should come clean to Austin about blackmailing Lexie--that lasted weeks).

The real problem with the pacing on the show is that there isn't any at all. Pacing isn't so much about speed or slowness as it is about properly building momentum to a crisis point in one story while another story is still in the slow build stage and yet another story is in the climax/resolution stage. It's about making crisis moments count and payoffs satisfying. It's about bringing the viewer along for the ride, making them want what you want them to want. Pacing can be slow at times and then breakneck speed at times, and some stories will be hurtling along while others are simmering slowly. It's about knowing when to speed up and knowing when to slow down.

Ellie

pagraves
Jan 18 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure I agree that the Days viewers liked the JER style of slow pacing. I actually found Sheffer's pacing far superior, even if it was faster than people were used to, because things actually happened and you didn't have the same conversations happening every single day for a month (see the whole rooftop party where EJ and Sami were talking endlessly about whether Sami should come clean to Austin about blackmailing Lexie--that lasted weeks).

The real problem with the pacing on the show is that there isn't any at all. Pacing isn't so much about speed or slowness as it is about properly building momentum to a crisis point in one story while another story is still in the slow build stage and yet another story is in the climax/resolution stage. It's about making crisis moments count and payoffs satisfying. It's about bringing the viewer along for the ride, making them want what you want them to want. Pacing can be slow at times and then breakneck speed at times, and some stories will be hurtling along while others are simmering slowly. It's about knowing when to speed up and knowing when to slow down.
I understand if you liked Hogan's pacing better, and of course I can't argue with that. And yes, JER had the same conversations happen every day, and flashbacks to the day before, all those things. I think though that Days viewers were used to that. Some were frustrated with it, and many weren't, but everyone expected it. So then you get Hogan almost right after that, and while some (like you) enjoyed his pacing, I think many others were confused and didn't know how to adjust their viewing to follow the stories. But I agree with your second paragraph - JER knew how to wring every ounce of emotion from the viewers with story climaxes that happened during sweeps months, and there was just enough forward story movement each day to keep viewers eager to tune in the next. I don't think Higley has any of that at all.

pagraves
Member Avatar

Ellie
Jan 18 2009, 03:57 PM
But I agree with your second paragraph - JER knew how to wring every ounce of emotion from the viewers with story climaxes that happened during sweeps months, and there was just enough forward story movement each day to keep viewers eager to tune in the next. I don't think Higley has any of that at all.
Well, I have to admit, I didn't like JER even in his better days. Never cared for the repetitiveness or the false suspense of his "cliffhangers." He had some good moments, but even in the good times, the over-the-top nature of his storylines just never appealed to me overall; I just found storylines here and there that I could enjoy.

I'm just one of those people who misses the time period between about 1984 and 1988, when the storylines had depth, meaning and intricacy.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Daily spoilers

Monday, January 26th
Sister Theresa helps Nicole keep out of Sami's sight; the killer tortures Rafe, who refuses to give up Sami's location; Abe tells Bo he needs to do a better job of catching the mayor's killer; Bo has an unsettling vision.

Tuesday, January 27th
Sami and Mia go into labor at the same time; Rafe keeps leading the killer on; Daniel runs into Chloe at the pub; Chloe, Lucas, Johnny and Allie have a food fight; Philip and Stephanie play pool.

Wednesday, January 28th
Sami has a difficult delivery; Mia decides to go through with the adoption; the killer threatens to hurt Sami's children if Rafe doesn't reveal her location; Max tells Philip to stay away from his sister.

Thursday, January 29th
Chloe tells Daniel that they need to talk; Kate worries that Daniel isn't taking their breakup well; Sami is worried about her baby; Rafe pursues the killer.

Friday, January 30th
Nicole tells Dr. Baker that she wants to switch Mia's and Sami's babies; Maggie discovers the killer on the pier; Rafe tries to warn Sami; Kayla thinks the killer looks familiar.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply