Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD tidbit: Sandra Robinson's last airdate
Topic Started: Jan 15 2009, 05:28 PM (1,742 Views)
zyona

Mason
Jan 16 2009, 07:30 PM
Of course it wasn't fair what happened to Sandra. It sucks. I don't think anyone is disputing that. But consider the difference between what happened with Sandra and how D&D were treated after devoting most of their adult lives to the show. I don't think it's any contest as to who got shit upon more. And I know people are tired of reading that, but it's the truth.
All i can say is Welcome to Corday's world.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Jan 16 2009, 07:25 PM
Tim, I see I'm back to agreeing with you again, LOL. I really feel sorry for Sandra. She got a bum rap right along with D&D...........I don't care what anyone says. You KNOW there are some out there in the Days viewing world who can't tell the difference between reality and fiction and will blame the actress, if she hasn't already started to get nasty letters. This is another actress who has feelings, and this will be doubled with the hate many "radical" fans have towards her character.
Playing the interloper with an established couple that many like is difficult enough. To have some consider her the catalyst for that couple leaving...............poor woman. And, she was duped, plain and simple. I've heard enough about what wasn't fair to D&D. We get it. It also wasn't fair to Sandra Robinson.
I loved SF on Another World. I was happy she was coming to Days till I found out J&M were leaving, then was still open to her.

Yes, I started hating her taking up screen time when I wanted to see John and Marlena making headway instead of the 5 minutes they were on being spent on her, but I've never once thought of sending hate mail to her or wished her ill will. In fact, I felt bad that she wasn't on the show under better circumstances because I liked her, and still like her. I would like to have seen how this story would have played out had John and Marlena stayed.

I know there are crazy people out there. But I have trouble believing that many would blame SF for what happened. She was hired to play a part. She didn't write it, and I'd hardly expect her to refuse to act it out as written any more than I blame D&D for acting out this insulting ending. It's a job.

I don't think her leaving is any more unfair than any other short term actor doing his job and leaving, in fact, I do think she'll benefit more from the notoriety than be hurt from it. I'm not saying I don't sympathize with anyone losing their job, but I don't think it was unfair at all. If they hired her for a long term goal and cut her, then I'd call it unfair. As it is, she's gotten a lot of exposure, did a good job with what she had, so I could see this helping her land another job. Hardly unfair.

If anything I think this whole situation is unfair to the fans because we just want to see a show, not see some kind of vengeance carried off in an exit story. Hard as it may be for some to believe, I've lost many characters that I've loved over the years, Doug, Julie, Marlena, Hope, Kim, Tony(though he was Andre), Mike, Belle and felt bad about losing them too and I griped then but just to friends. If I had been online, I'd have probably griped alot online, maybe not as much because John has pretty much always been my favorite, but losing Kim hurt very badly, as well as losing Shane and Tony(Andre). Do you suppose the reason they brought Tony back is because their fans missed them? Is it so hard to understand others being upset over not only losing their favorites of twenty some years, but also them going out this way?

I know you're sick of hearing about J&M, but think of it this way. After next Friday, you'll never have to see them again, so you can watch the characters you love get trashed by Higley in peace.
Edited by Kyrai, Jan 17 2009, 01:10 AM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

LOL Kyrai! Sandra Robinson is getting more attention than she has ever gotten in her entire career!

King
Member Avatar

I hope we get news of Nadia Bjorlin, Shawn Christian, and Galen Gering leaving soon too.

I think the show would really be in good shape without Chloe, Daniel, or Rafe.

There is a lot of potential for drama and a lot to play on the dynamics with Nicole/EJ/Sami/Lucas.

We really don't need those other three.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kyrai
Jan 17 2009, 01:08 AM
ladyofthelake
Tim, I see I'm back to agreeing with you again, LOL. I really feel sorry for Sandra. She got a bum rap right along with D&D...........I don't care what anyone says. You KNOW there are some out there in the Days viewing world who can't tell the difference between reality and fiction and will blame the actress, if she hasn't already started to get nasty letters. This is another actress who has feelings, and this will be doubled with the hate many "radical" fans have towards her character.
Playing the interloper with an established couple that many like is difficult enough. To have some consider her the catalyst for that couple leaving...............poor woman. And, she was duped, plain and simple. I've heard enough about what wasn't fair to D&D. We get it. It also wasn't fair to Sandra Robinson.
I loved SF on Another World. I was happy she was coming to Days till I found out J&M were leaving, then was still open to her.

Yes, I started hating her taking up screen time when I wanted to see John and Marlena making headway instead of the 5 minutes they were on being spent on her, but I've never once thought of sending hate mail to her or wished her ill will. In fact, I felt bad that she wasn't on the show under better circumstances because I liked her, and still like her. I would like to have seen how this story would have played out had John and Marlena stayed.

I know there are crazy people out there. But I have trouble believing that many would blame SF for what happened. She was hired to play a part. She didn't write it, and I'd hardly expect her to refuse to act it out as written any more than I blame D&D for acting out this insulting ending. It's a job.

I don't think her leaving is any more unfair than any other short term actor doing his job and leaving, in fact, I do think she'll benefit more from the notoriety than be hurt from it. I'm not saying I don't sympathize with anyone losing their job, but I don't think it was unfair at all. If they hired her for a long term goal and cut her, then I'd call it unfair. As it is, she's gotten a lot of exposure, did a good job with what she had, so I could see this helping her land another job. Hardly unfair.

If anything I think this whole situation is unfair to the fans because we just want to see a show, not see some kind of vengeance carried off in an exit story. Hard as it may be for some to believe, I've lost many characters that I've loved over the years, Doug, Julie, Marlena, Hope, Kim, Tony(though he was Andre), Mike, Belle and felt bad about losing them too and I griped then but just to friends. If I had been online, I'd have probably griped alot online, maybe not as much because John has pretty much always been my favorite, but losing Kim hurt very badly, as well as losing Shane and Tony(Andre). Do you suppose the reason they brought Tony back is because their fans missed them? Is it so hard to understand others being upset over not only losing their favorites of twenty some years, but also them going out this way?

I know you're sick of hearing about J&M, but think of it this way. After next Friday, you'll never have to see them again, so you can watch the characters you love get trashed by Higley in peace.
I'm used to seeing characters I love "get trashed", and I'm used to things on TV shows not always going my way. It's part of the viewing world. Hell, it's part of life, period.

I either watch for the actors, or I just quit watching. Period. It's not like the writing for J&M has been stellar the past few years. I will comment if I don't like things, but if it gets to be too much, I stop. It's actually very easy. I cut back on posting. Otherwise, this damn fantasy world and arguments about a TV bog my day down. Then I have to say "This is stupid. This is about a damn TV show that 7/8's of the world doesn't watch". It's not worth it to ruin my real life and spend my money on.

It's easy, too. After a while, I just try to quit saying the same thing over and over and over, because it won't change squat. I'm just not the "wailing and gnashing of teeth" type. Not over TV.

And, I still feel Sandra Robinson got a bum rap, despite the shortness of the time she was on. I feel like they brought her on with false pretenses. And I am going to feel sorry for her. And I still believe that there are fans out there whose minds dull the lines between fiction and reality and will hate HER and associate HER with the demise of J&M.

When you consider there were fans blaming ALLISON SWEENEY for Sami being written to kidnap Belle, when you read accounts of fans cussing out the actors who play unsavory characters, doing stupid things at fan events towards actors who play the parts of the "interloper", send not-so-nice letters and "gifts" to actors who admit enjoying playing opposite other actors who AREN'T part of the "twu wuv" couple, and read accounts of them getting nasty letters, it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to figure that there are going to be fans who will forever associate SR the actress with CT the character and not know the difference.

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Jan 17 2009, 11:04 AM
When you consider there were fans blaming ALLISON SWEENEY for Sami being written to kidnap Belle, when you read accounts of fans cussing out the actors who play unsavory characters, doing stupid things at fan events towards actors who play the parts of the "interloper", send not-so-nice letters and "gifts" to actors who admit enjoying playing opposite other actors who AREN'T part of the "twu wuv" couple, and read accounts of them getting nasty letters, it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to figure that there are going to be fans who will forever associate SR the actress with CT the character and not know the difference.
I agree there are crazy people out there. I used to love the Carol Burnette show parodying them. But it is part of the soap world. I'm sure it was uncomfortable for AS, but I doubt it made her sorry for the juicy story. That's all I'm saying. Yes, there are some crazy people out there, but overall, I think the exposure would be more beneficial to her career than the hopefully few looney tunes out there. I'd think many actors would love a short part that would get them this much notice.

I'm not saying you shouldn't feel sorry for her. I just don't consider it unfair given she was hired for a part time role to begin with. I work with contractors all the time. I'm sad to see them go. But I don't feel it's unfair when they leave. I don't even consider it unfair that they fired Drake and Deidre. It's a show, they made a decision, whether I like it or not. I do feel the way they are being written out is tacky and a slap in the face to the John and Marlena fans, and I personally don't think I'll ever forget it, but I'm sure anti-fans are happy and dancing in the street. As you say, you try to get over it as just a show. In the case of J&M, it's thirty years I'm getting over.

My last statement was not a knock to you on my post, btw. I was just saying it will be over soon so J&M fans won't be bothering you soon (at least over J&M). I miss the relationships that I used to watch for, not just J&M but Days in general, so it's made me bitter, but the bitterness wasn't directed at you. I apologize if it seemed to be.
Edited by Kyrai, Jan 17 2009, 02:09 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Jan 17 2009, 11:04 AM
Kyrai
Jan 17 2009, 01:08 AM
ladyofthelake

I'm used to seeing characters I love "get trashed", and I'm used to things on TV shows not always going my way. It's part of the viewing world. Hell, it's part of life, period.

I either watch for the actors, or I just quit watching. Period. It's not like the writing for J&M has been stellar the past few years. I will comment if I don't like things, but if it gets to be too much, I stop. It's actually very easy. I cut back on posting. Otherwise, this damn fantasy world and arguments about a TV bog my day down. Then I have to say "This is stupid. This is about a damn TV show that 7/8's of the world doesn't watch". It's not worth it to ruin my real life and spend my money on.

It's easy, too. After a while, I just try to quit saying the same thing over and over and over, because it won't change squat. I'm just not the "wailing and gnashing of teeth" type. Not over TV.

And, I still feel Sandra Robinson got a bum rap, despite the shortness of the time she was on. I feel like they brought her on with false pretenses. And I am going to feel sorry for her. And I still believe that there are fans out there whose minds dull the lines between fiction and reality and will hate HER and associate HER with the demise of J&M.

Wonderful post. :hail:

I hate what is happening too. Really I do. This sucks for Drake and Dee and for their fans and, yes, they are worse off then Sandra having been there for long but she matters too. She got screwed over too and now she will have to deal with a whole lot of BS coming her way.

I know how some fans work and she will face some pretty nasty people. Not only that but she was put in an awkward position and was basically fooled in all this. I've always felt she was a nice, genuine person and she did not deserve that.

Yes, Drake and Dee got a major raw deal and so did their fans but Sandra deserves sympathy too, Just because Drake and Dee are superstar vets that are getting screwed over doesn't mean Sandra should be forgotten too. Hell, she has been in this industry for a long time as well and her getting screwed with is horrible as well.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 17 2009, 02:16 PM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

King
Jan 17 2009, 04:33 AM
I hope we get news of Nadia Bjorlin, Shawn Christian, and Galen Gering leaving soon too.

I think the show would really be in good shape without Chloe, Daniel, or Rafe.
Couldn't agree more. :rockon:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Wow, you would think Dee and Drake didn't get paid millions of dollars over the years to play John and Marlena, the way people are going on and on about how horribly they have been treated. How nice of them to do it for free :)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mikegoldy
Jan 19 2009, 05:14 PM
Wow, you would think Dee and Drake didn't get paid millions of dollars over the years to play John and Marlena, the way people are going on and on about how horribly they have been treated. How nice of them to do it for free :)
:lol:

OK, that was funny. And, I agree. Although, he shouldn't have done it with a phone call. That stinks on all accounts. I don't care who it's done to. They should have at LEAST accepted the cake!

Mason
Member Avatar

Why should they have accepted it? Someone spits in my face, I sure as hell am not gonna be accepting any tokens from them.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Jan 19 2009, 05:52 PM
Why should they have accepted it? Someone spits in my face, I sure as hell am not gonna be accepting any tokens from them.
Ya know..........maybe some folks are trying to lighten the mood here. I forgot the smiley. Oh, well. :huh:

Days4Life

Mikegoldy
I've watched Dee and Drake from their very first days on screen--I actually remember a DAYS when Marlena didn't exist! And, although firing long-term, loyal employees over the phone isn't right, it could be worse. I have a good friend who was a loyal employee at a large corporation for 25 years, was met at the door by security and handed a box of belongings and his severance papers, and now works at Home Depot. Sometimes life isn't fair!

I would love to know the original story for Dr. Taylor. The rewritten version isn't making any sense, as I have no idea why she is acting the way she is towards John and Marlena. It all feels thrown together...and I'm sure it was. I feel bad for the actress because she was put right in the middle of an ugly situation, through no fault of her own.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days4Life
Jan 19 2009, 06:42 PM
Mikegoldy
I've watched Dee and Drake from their very first days on screen--I actually remember a DAYS when Marlena didn't exist! And, although firing long-term, loyal employees over the phone isn't right, it could be worse. I have a good friend who was a loyal employee at a large corporation for 25 years, was met at the door by security and handed a box of belongings and his severance papers, and now works at Home Depot. Sometimes life isn't fair!

I would love to know the original story for Dr. Taylor. The rewritten version isn't making any sense, as I have no idea why she is acting the way she is towards John and Marlena. It all feels thrown together...and I'm sure it was. I feel bad for the actress because she was put right in the middle of an ugly situation, through no fault of her own.
I feel the same.

I have watched since the early 80's and have seen people come and go, including John and Marlena. Now, if they are the only reason you watch the show, then that is different. I've never understood how anyone can watch for just one or two people. You may as well just watch clips on youtube if nothing else interests you rather then waste time fast forwarding or whatever. However, I watch for everyone. That isn't to say I like everyone but I try to engage with all the stories and usually I find something in each story that at least helps to keep my interest. Basically, no one person or couple is the show. If anyone is close to being the center of the show, it's Frances Reid.

As for Charlotte, I agree and I do feel horrible for Sandra. However, it's coming off alot better then I thought. It's still rushed and all over the place but it doesn't come off horribly messy, at least not me. There is enough good scenes and suspense to detract from the bad aspects, at least for me thus far.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Jan 19 2009, 06:50 PM
Days4Life
Jan 19 2009, 06:42 PM
Mikegoldy

I feel the same.

I have watched since the early 80's and have seen people come and go, including John and Marlena. Now, if they are the only reason you watch the show, then that is different. I've never understood how anyone can watch for just one or two people. You may as well just watch clips on youtube if nothing else interests you rather then waste time fast forwarding or whatever. However, I watch for everyone. That isn't to say I like everyone but I try to engage with all the stories and usually I find something in each story that at least helps to keep my interest. Basically, no one person or couple is the show. If anyone is close to being the center of the show, it's Frances Reid.

As for Charlotte, I agree and I do feel horrible for Sandra. However, it's coming off alot better then I thought. It's still rushed and all over the place but it doesn't come off horribly messy, at least not me. There is enough good scenes and suspense to detract from the bad aspects, at least for me thus far.
I don't get it, either. I started watching as a teenager during the Addie/Marie/Marty Hanson years (took about 15 years off, LOL), and watched a lot of other TV for years. It happens. Actors come.........actors go. I watch Days for the full show. And I have the exact same feelings about Frances Reid. Whether she's on or not, that presence is felt. People still talk about Alice, miss Alice, want Alice. And I'm speaking in terms of general fans.

I want to see the Marlena/Charlotte show-down. I'm finding myself intrigued and actually seeing spunk in Marlena for the first time in quite a while. At least, the kind of spunk I like to see, which was the spunk I saw her with with Stephano. This really isn't turning out too bad, with Brady involved and all.

And yeah, Days4Life, life ISN'T fair. It rains on the just and unjust alike. That's horrible about your friend. And it might be horrible of me, but I feel for him a lot more than I do for actors who pulled in a mill or so every year. Yes, it's sad for them. But at least they don't have to resort to working at Home Depot or McDonald's.

And in all honesty, it might be one of those "somewhere when a door is shut, a window is open" opportunities for the DH's. We don't know that.

As for the original story of Charlotte Taylor.....................wouldn't you LOVE to be a fly on the wall at the studio sometimes?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply