Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ABC Entertainment President criticizes Nielsen; Hollywood Reporter
Topic Started: Jan 18 2009, 05:58 PM (373 Views)
Ellie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003931630&imw=Y

McPherson: ABC planning robust fall slate
Also criticized Nielsen at TCA press tour exec session
By James Hibberd
Jan 16, 2009

ABC entertainment president Steve McPherson said his network needs to continue taking programming risks despite the economic downturn and plans a robust development slate for the fall.

McPherson said at the Television Critics Assn. winter press tour Friday that he plans to shoot 10 comedy and drama pilots for next season.

"We have to take swings at the plate, and we still have to be bold," he said, noting that the shows that have worked best for the network such as "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" creatively broke new ground. "We want to grow our brand and build off the success we have. ... I don't want to do a total departure and do CBS-like shows."

The entertainment president also criticized Nielsen, saying the ratings measurement company contracted by networks doesn't take into account enough forms of audience viewing.

"We're talking about a different world now," said McPherson, whose network, like most broadcasters this season, has lost viewers.

"It's not just people sitting at a single television at home," he said. "We have to get as much of that viewership measured as possible. Anything in hotels; anything in bars. I mean, there's tons of television that is watched that is not counted."

A critic notes that Nielsen has recently added college students to its database, and asked how attentive McPherson thought viewers in bars really are.

"You know what, in watching sports, I think they would be unbelievably attentive," he said. "I think in a hotel people are unbelievably attentive."

Later, McPherson added, "(Audiences are) watching on their iPods, on their phones ... and to me we have to get as much of that viewership measured as possible because we want to make sure that we all know what we're reaching."

McPherson said he is "pleased" about NBC's decision to cede 10 p.m. dramas and air a Jay Leno talk show instead.

"We think it opens up beachfront real estate to less bidders," he said. "For (CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler) and I, we have different brands so we're both looking at it and excited that there are viewers who have been left by the wayside that we can take advantage of."

Critics asked about the fates of Wednesday night dramas "Dirty Sexy Money" and "Pushing Daisies," which were knocked prematurely off the schedule last year because of the strike and returned to fatally low ratings.

"I really loved the shows. The producers delivered what they promised," he said. "For us it was a frustration that we couldn't get a larger audience -- or that Nielsen says we couldn't get a larger audience."

McPherson added that ABC still wants to make remaining episodes of both shows available, though producers were not able to craft satisfying series finales.

"We've like to air the ending of those shows," he said. "I wish we had been able to give the producers series-ending notice so they could really have a finale."

After the panel, McPherson saud the network hopes to put the episodes online.

Mike Judge's unscheduled animated comedy "The Goode Family" is still on track for a midseason rollout, McPherson said, though may debut as late as May. McPherson confirmed that ABC will not pick up Judge's last animated series, Fox's canceled "King of the Hill," as a companion.

Asked about the performance of transplanted comedy "Scrubs" so far, McPherson said he's generally pleased, yet that it's too early to draw any conclusions.

"We saw one week with no competition and another week with the biggest competition you can have ('American Idol')," he said.

ABC also announced two online initiatives aimed at increasing viewer interactivity and boosting Web traffic. A Web site for midseason series "In the Motherhood" will give viewers a chance to share their parenting stories for possible inclusion on the midseason comedy. And ABC.com will give away $1 million to help individuals and their local communities in a contest where viewers send essays describing their economic woes to their local affiliates.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Amen! The method for counting TV viewership needs a major overhaul.

sungrey

Just catching on, Stephen? After canceling October Road, Women's Murder Club, Six Degrees, Dirty Sexy Money, Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, The Nine and Day Break -- NOW you say Nielsen needs an overhaul??

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It's about time.

They need to ditch the system and try to find something that is at least a bit more comprehensive.

I know it can't ever cover everyone but still. Whatever the case, it's still going to be hard to measure the audience, especially now with DVR's and people watching on so many sites in addition to the network sites. Viewership is scatted over so many outlets now that you never really know how many is watching and that just makes getting an accurate reading near impossible and I think that is why there seems to be a mentality change and you see some shows surviving that many thought wouldn't.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 20 2009, 01:44 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply