Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD and SOW: Sami 'delivers' for Nicole!; Feb 3rd issues; Summary of Articles
Topic Started: Jan 21 2009, 11:29 AM (2,404 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

This week's SOD and SOW both include articles about the Sami/Nicole story. Ari Zucker is interviewed for both.

After Nicole overhears Sami at the convent, Nicole goes to the clinic and tells Dr. Baker that he must take any phone call he receives from a nun. However, Nicole is interrupted when Mia calls her to tell her she's in labor.

At the same time, Sami goes into labor, and Sister Theresa brings her to Dr. Baker's clinic.

Nicole goes to Mia's to help her, but Mia's labor is so far along that Nicole has to deliver the baby. "Apparently, Nicole is a midwife," Zucker, laughing, tells SOD. "She helps [Mia] deliver her baby and everything goes smoothly, no problems or complications." Zucker tells SOW that Mia doesn't want to see the baby, because Mia is having doubts about giving the baby up. But Nicole manages to convince Mia that "she's doing the right thing", and then when Mia falls asleep, Nicole brings the baby to Dr. Baker's clinic.

At the clinic, Nicole finds out Sami is in labor, but then she sees Dr. Baker rushing out of Sami's room with a newborn. The baby isn't crying, and as Zucker explains to SOW, "[Nicole] is totally worried, because this is EJ's child. Nicole wants that baby."

Thankfully, the baby does start crying, and Nicole is relieved. Dr. Baker sees that Nicole is holding a baby, and he assumes that she now has what she wants. But Nicole tells Dr. Baker that what she wants is Sami's baby. She tells him how she found out Sami was pregnant, and Zucker explains to SOD that Nicole is reasoning that "Sami wants to give up her baby anyway, why not give EJ his baby?" Zucker says that in Nicole's mind, this is about EJ; Nicole wants to give EJ this baby as a gift, because he'd be "heartbroken" if he knew his baby had died. Also, Nicole is envious of Sami, because as Zucker puts it, "[Sami] keeps having these kids and Nicole can't have one."

Dr. Baker at first is reluctant but then acquiesces and brings Mia's baby to Sami, while Nicole holds Sami's baby and "promises to love and care for her." Is Nicole thinking ahead to what's next? No. Zucker tells SOD that Nicole's plans have worked so far, and Nicole "isn't thinking big picture at all". And as she tells SOW, "Nicole knows everything is going to be perfect - as long as EJ buys it and doesn't notice the baby looks like Sami."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie.

I still can't stand that they are having Nicole manipulate a teenager into giving up her baby by promising to love and care for it and then having Nicole drop that kid like a hot potato. I sincerely hope that they address this is some way.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

oh wow, where I seen this storyline before? maybe Tess/Starr on OLTL or on any other soap...

come up with something better and original

cjknick
Member Avatar

esp13
Jan 21 2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks Ellie.

I still can't stand that they are having Nicole manipulate a teenager into giving up her baby by promising to love and care for it and then having Nicole drop that kid like a hot potato. I sincerely hope that they address this is some way.
This is Nicole at her worst! She doesn't care about the babies - all she cares about is keeping EJ!

Thanks for posting Ellie!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It's the same concept as the other soaps, but I would never compare this baby switch storyline to any of the other baby switch storylines in daytime history. This storyline has been horribly written. Nothing seems to have long-term standings or effects. Other baby switch storylines had me on the edge of my seat, particularly OLTL's recent take on the story concept. Are some things predictable? Yes, but the writers have molded different plots and points that are going to come together later on. I feel like this storyline is being written as they go. Higley gave the breakdown writers a task, "Nicole and Sami are both pregnant and Nicole will lose her baby and get Sami's," and then just tells the writers to write the storyline. That's not how you write a show as the head writer. And we've been told that this is how she does her job from a writer who worked under her at OLTL. And you can tell that's what's going on because flowing as they should.

They really had me with this storyline. I was liking it. Yes, the concept of a baby switch is tired, but so is every other storyline in daytime. It's your job as a writer to use that soap staple and make it unique with the characters that you have involved. If you do that, it'll run smoothly. Unforunately, they have officially lost me with this storyline. I'm over it.

I mean, what the hell is Nicole's motivation? Yes, the baby is EJ's, but she is also Sami's baby. Nicole hates Sami. Why in the hell would she want to raise her enemies child? That's stupid. She keeps saying that she hates being reminded about EJ's past with Sami and the love he had (and probably still has) for Sami, yet she's going to raise a baby, that will always remind her of Sami? STUPID!

Dawn7
Member Avatar

thanks ellie

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

cjknick
Jan 21 2009, 12:02 PM
This is Nicole at her worst! She doesn't care about the babies - all she cares about is keeping EJ!
That's just the thing. Instead of actually writing for Nicole as a unique character, and doing things in a way that would make sense to her background, they go the usual route and have the woman do all of these crazy things because if she doesn't, she'll lose the man. How tired is that?

Nicole is a character that couldn't have children and then by some miracle became pregnant. When she lost the baby, yes, she wanted to keep the secret going, yes because she wanted to hold onto EJ, but also because she still wanted that family with him, the thought of a family. That was still part of her motiation.

Not anymore. This is now all about EJ, and the fact that she's going to take Sami's baby (her enemy) over Mia's proves that. This is only about EJ and Nicole not losing him. Fuck the fact that she lost her baby. That's just an afterthought now.

And that's why this storyline officially sucks ass.

cjknick
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 21 2009, 12:17 PM
cjknick
Jan 21 2009, 12:02 PM
That's just the thing. Instead of actually writing for Nicole as a unique character, and doing things in a way that would make sense to her background, they go the usual route and have the woman do all of these crazy things because if she doesn't, she'll lose the man. How tired is that?

Nicole is a character that couldn't have children and then by some miracle became pregnant. When she lost the baby, yes, she wanted to keep the secret going, yes because she wanted to hold onto EJ, but also because she still wanted that family with him, the thought of a family. That was still part of her motiation.

Not anymore. This is now all about EJ, and the fact that she's going to take Sami's baby (her enemy) over Mia's proves that. This is only about EJ and Nicole not losing him. Fuck the fact that she lost her baby. That's just an afterthought now.

And that's why this storyline officially sucks ass.
Exactly! It makes it less and less about wanting and needing to be a mother - she begged Mia for her baby because she lost her baby girl and she needed to fill a void in her heart and now even after delivering Mia's baby herself, being with that baby for a bit she almost immediately when the opportunity presents itself wants to switch babies???? so much for that promise to Mia to love her baby like it was her own - Mia's baby just wasn't good enough! With so many people knowing about this my guess is Nicole is going to become so paranoid that she may get even more desperate.
Edited by cjknick, Jan 21 2009, 12:32 PM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton

If her goal were holding on to EJ, it would be far less risky to adopt Mia's baby and let Sami give hers away to some random family. In Nicole's mind, giving EJ his biological child is her way of redeeming herself for the miscarriage. IMO, the fact that this motivation outweighs her hatred of Sami is actually a twisted kind of character development for Nicole.

Thanks, Ellie!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ponz
Jan 21 2009, 12:27 PM
If her goal were holding on to EJ, it would be far less risky to adopt Mia's baby and let Sami give hers away to some random family. In Nicole's mind, giving EJ his biological child is her way of redeeming herself for the miscarriage. IMO, the fact that this motivation outweighs her hatred of Sami is actually a twisted kind of character development for Nicole.
I disagree. Nicole is a selfish character. No matter how in love with EJ she is, she's going to put her feelings first. She should want this child over EJ anyday. And for the last 9 months, she has been bitching and complaining that EJ keeps reminding her of Sami and blah blah blah. What the hell does she think is going to happen when she wakes up and has to look at Sami's baby everyday. She doesn't think she's going to be reminded of Sami everytime she looks at the baby?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
DrewHamilton

Thanks, Ellie!
I agree, Ponz.

Nicole had no intentions of doing this but now that the opportunity has arose to give EJ a child that is truly HIS, she's taking it as a way of sort of making it up to him. She lost his baby and now she can give him a baby that is actually his that Sami was going to hide from him. I can totally understand her mindset and motivation. At the very least, she sees herself as saving EJ and the baby from being kept apart. She's putting these sentiments ahead of her hatred of Sami and I'm sure there is a little revenge in it for her too. I mean, I think she also sees it as a preventive strike too as if EJ knew about that baby and knew that Nicole lost her's, he would likely turn back toward Sami so Nicole probably sees that as nipping this in the bud early on. Not to mention a parternity test will show EJ as the father if one happens down the road so that helps too.

Yes, this is definitely predictable and tired but, as Drew pointed out, so many soap stories are. I won't argue that the pacing and execution has not always been the greatest, particularly in the last few weeks, which is why I feel Higley needs to go. There have been contrivances and liberties taken but my belief is that stories like these always have to have things like that to work. This is why I almost prefer not to tell stories like this because of that reasoning. However, I think the payoff will be worth it and I think now that the story is reaching a different level it will be interesting yet again after a few weeks of sort of running in place at times.

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 21 2009, 12:36 PM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 21 2009, 12:30 PM
Ponz
I disagree. Nicole is a selfish character. No matter how in love with EJ she is, she's going to put her feelings first. She should want this child over EJ anyday. And for the last 9 months, she has been bitching and complaining that EJ keeps reminding her of Sami and blah blah blah. What the hell does she think is going to happen when she wakes up and has to look at Sami's baby everyday. She doesn't think she's going to be reminded of Sami everytime she looks at the baby?
I think we are headed for really really crazy Nicole - her lies and deception are going to mount and she is going to become so paranoid - A twist on the Hand that Rocks the Cradle! Brady I think will have to step in and bring her back to reality
Edited by cjknick, Jan 21 2009, 12:55 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 21 2009, 12:14 PM
I mean, what the hell is Nicole's motivation? Yes, the baby is EJ's, but she is also Sami's baby. Nicole hates Sami. Why in the hell would she want to raise her enemies child? That's stupid. She keeps saying that she hates being reminded about EJ's past with Sami and the love he had (and probably still has) for Sami, yet she's going to raise a baby, that will always remind her of Sami? STUPID!
That doesn't make sense to me either.

I'm sure some might say that Nicole's love of EJ is deeper for her hatred of Sami, but that's hogwash. Then there's the Mia angle, which I'm still not sure about. If Nicole's going to end up with Sami's child, then what's the need for Mia? It just makes Nicole look even worse, trying to get some teenage girl's baby only to drop it like a hot potato once Sami pops her brat out.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The Mia angle, I believe, is there for two reasons, One, to give Sami a baby because I really don't think they wanted to play Sami thinking her baby died or was kidnapped, especially with Ali pregnant. Two, so that Mia can bring the big reveal along down the road. I think Mia is the Susan in all this. She won't go away. She will keep asking for more money or something and, eventually, she will come back to bite Nicole in the ass and I hope she does. I want her to stay. I enjoy the character and actress. I can also see her maybe getting a job around Nicole and EJ and even bonding with the baby, thinking it's her's when it's actually Sami's and that will really screw with things.

Ponz
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jan 21 2009, 12:30 PM
Ponz
I'm not sure what point you're making, Drew. Is it that Nicole should always be written as a selfish character or that her motivations in this story are entirely selfish? I was disputing the latter claim ("This is only about EJ and Nicole not losing him").

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 21 2009, 12:46 PM
The Mia angle, I believe, is there for two reasons, One, to give Sami a baby because I really don't think they wanted to play Sami thinking her baby died or was kidnapped, especially with Ali pregnant. Two, so that Mia can bring the big reveal along down the road. I think Mia is the Susan in all this. She won't go away.
But Susan was actually involved. Her baby ended up where it was intended from the start. With Mia, it's like, "Hey... let's have Nicole almost take her baby, but not really." It ends up feeling sort of pointless. I mean, I can see what they could be planning to do with her in the future, but as for right now, her involvement seems like just one too many pointless flies in the ointment. As usual, the execution is muddy and confusing like most Higley stories, LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jan 21 2009, 12:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
The Mia angle, I believe, is there for two reasons, One, to give Sami a baby because I really don't think they wanted to play Sami thinking her baby died or was kidnapped, especially with Ali pregnant. Two, so that Mia can bring the big reveal along down the road. I think Mia is the Susan in all this. She won't go away.
But Susan was actually involved. Her baby ended up where it was intended from the start. With Mia, it's like, "Hey... let's have Nicole almost take her baby, but not really." It ends up feeling sort of pointless. I mean, I can see what they could be planning to do with her in the future, but as for right now, her involvement seems like just one too many pointless flies in the ointment. As usual, the execution is muddy and confusing like most Higley stories, LoL.
Oh, I can agree with that.

As I said, the execution and pacing has been horrible basically since around Christmas. It's part of the reason I feel Higley is bringing the show down. She set the story up well by some miracle but as we got into the meat of it, things started being pieced together rather then coming together nicely. I think from this point on, it will be better because I think there is very little that can be done to screw it up until we get to the reveal. I really hope she is gone before then because I fear she will screw the reveal up royally.

I also think my fondness for Mia and my desire for a story with repercussions like this one will have is what got me through the past few weeks.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Kenny
PhoenixRising05
I suspect Will's return (he starts airing next month) will play into it somehow. He's the same age as Mia.

jane1978

I like the story. I donīt watch any other soaps so I donīt know how different were the babyswitches there, but I think this is a great combination of Kristenīs fake pregnancy and Zack/the other guy babyswitch. I think Ari did a wonderfull job and while the story is clearly plotdriven and sometimes goes in circles, I think they never went overboard with it and we still can relate to Nicol and her pain.

Yes, she is slowly descending back to the old Nicol and this latest development will not help, but I donīt see any problem with her switching the babies. She has everything planned and is already seeing her and EJ living this happily ever after life when Chloe totally burst her bubble with the news about Sami. Itīs not just about giving EJ his own baby, but Sami not having his baby as well. Nicol even says it tomorrow, she doesnīt believe Sami will really give up the baby forever, she knows soon or later Sami will want to use the baby to win EJ back.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Jan 21 2009, 12:59 PM
Kenny
PhoenixRising05
I suspect Will's return (he starts airing next month) will play into it somehow. He's the same age as Mia.
I forgot all about him.

I bet he will play a role in this too and I would love a Will/Mia hookup.

I also agree with Jane's post. Nicole seems to go into panic mode tomorrow and she knows Sami could use that baby at some point. As I said, preventive strike on her part.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply