Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Michael Fairman interview with Ari Zuker; spoilerish
Topic Started: Jan 21 2009, 11:00 PM (2,776 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

THE ARIANNE ZUKER INTERVIEW - DAYS OF OUR LIVES

She is in a front burner storyline that is getting rave reviews from soap fans and critics alike, as Nicole on “DAYS”. This week her storyline heats up as Nicole finally comes across a very pregnant Sami, which sets a whole chain of events in motion. Actress, Arianne Zuker, sat down with me to discuss Nicole’s machinations, and the final goodbyes to Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn. She also spoke about her winning performance in the online soap, “Life in General”, in which she has been recently nominated for a TV Guide Canada, "Soap Opera Spirit Award".

However, this Saturday January 24th, Arianne is taking on yet another challenge. She is performing for the first time live on stage with the famed ACME Comedy Theatre Group. Sitting backstage with Ari on her first day of rehearsal, we chatted about working in “Sketch comedy” and all the latest developments in Nicole’s
baby drama.

If you are in the Los Angeles area, and would like to see Arianne live, go to http://www.acmecomedy.com for ticket and show information. It should be a hilarious and fun show.

MICHAEL:

This Saturday, you have decided to perform in the live sketch comedy show at the very famous ACME theatre here in Los Angeles. Why the decision?

ARIANNE:

By force, and my arm being twisted behind my back! Pain made me do it. Just kidding! I saw Bryan Dattilo (Lucas) do the show and it’s the equivalent of Saturday Night Live, which is hysterical. I was asked if I would consider doing it and I said, “Absolutely,” because I don’t get to do enough comedy on “DAYS”, and certainly not lately. Prior to me leaving the show the first time, I got a chance to do it.

MICHAEL:

So I am doing this interview with you backstage before you find out what the sketches will be for the performance. Can you veto anything and do a soap “Diva” trip on the cast?

ARIANNE:

I have to tell you, I have never been to a sketch meeting before, but I am looking forward to what they throw in front of me.

MICHAEL:

So, you will play many roles in the show that evening?

ARIANNE:

Yes, it could be anything. It will all be one big surprise.

MICHAEL:

Are you a nervous wreck about the improv aspect of this kind of live comedy?

ARIANNE:

Not when it comes to humiliating myself. I don't wear contacts, so I can’t read the Teleprompters. Of course, it will all come from memorization unless I wear my glasses. It should be really exciting, because I won’t be able to see that. Oh, well, whatever! It will be fun. (She laughs)

MICHAEL:

Who would you like to be in the audience to witness this?

ARIANNE:

I made sure that our “DAYS” PR office invited everyone from the show. I would love everyone to come out and see me and the theatre itself. It’s so much fun to see it live. I had done a workshop improv class for two years, the two years I was off “DAYS.” I did that, which may be why I feel comfortable doing this. Here at least, I get scripts as opposed to pure improv.

MICHAEL:

Who would you want to be with in a sketch comedy show, if it was an all-star “DAYS” cast?

ARIANNE:

I would have Eric Martsolf (Brady), because we have a great relationship outside the show. He is very funny and hysterical. I tell you; whenever we run our lines I have to get all the laughter out before we do our scenes. He’s got this quirky, dry sense of humor with this smirk on his face, all the time.

MICHAEL:

You are so heavy in story on “DAYS” right now, and currently the most compelling actress and, in the most compelling story on the show. Are you enjoying carrying the main storyline?

ARIANNE:

Yeah. I love my job and love the storyline right now. It’s definitely meaty. I am always usually the sidekick, but now I have hearty storyline, and I appreciate it very much.

MICHAEL:

So much has been written about you from all of us covering the soap genre, that you have really been amazing and risen to the top of the soap actors on TV.

ARIANNE:

It’s a team effort. When I came back to the show, I came back a bit of a different actress. I would like to give the writers credit, that they allowed me to take the storyline to a different place, as well. I could not do it by myself.

MICHAEL:

This week in major desperation and determination, Nicole comes face-to-face with Sami!

ARIANNE:

Chloe tells me where Sami is. You know, it’s funny knowing that Sami is involved in anything to do with her. First, she is going to lose it and get pissed off, and then come up with something or some plan. Interestingly enough, the whole story is not about finding out Sami’s pregnant. It’s an idea that Nicole gets concerning Sami’s baby. Maybe when we are in the storyline together, you will see that old relationship
come back.

MICHAEL:

We all see a ‘baby switch’ coming. Do you like the idea?

ARIANNE:

It’s written differently than your typical ‘baby switches’ that have happened in the past, at least on our show. I like how they are writing the character; very carefully.

MICHAEL:

You almost feel bad for Nicole, in a way. She is so desperate to hold on to EJ. Why?

ARIANNE:

He represents the child that she had. He represents that she fell in love again. I think Eric Brady was her first love, and she messed that up, again. The baby is half the reason EJ and Nicole fell in love in the first place. In Nicole’s eyes, she probably feels she could not have had EJ unless she was pregnant. I feel that is the whole reason she is doing this; to have a real family, and trying to escape her past that she can’t get out of. Even though everything she is doing is somehow related to her past, she is not trying to hurt anyone this time.

MICHAEL:

Coming up in February, what can we say to “DAYS” fans about the on-going baby saga?

ARIANNE:

Let’s just say, Nicole is not in the clear. I think with all the baby stuff happening, and the baby being born, let’s just say, I will get one. I think you will see more twists and surprises that I am happy about. There will be a little Melanie action, because she is working with EJ.

MICHAEL:

Now let’s discuss the pregnancy ‘padding’ you have been wearing. Ah, how dumb is EJ?

ARIANNE:

The great thing was, they kept EJ busy so he could never really touch me. There’s dedication for a guy. For someone so smart, he sure was stupid. (She laughs)

MICHAEL:

Couples and pairings have been changing on “DAYS” in recent months so quickly at times, it is jolting the fans. Do you think that is a good thing for the show, or a bad thing?

ARIANNE:

You know, I think that soaps the way they use to be, and the way they need to be now, are different. They need to move a little faster with the age of the Internet; even the promos are so fast now. People who watch the soaps are used to it one way. I think you have to test things, and if you don’t test, you don’t know what’s going to work. I love working with a variety of people, and our ratings have gone up. It is a good story with the constant cattiness between Sami and Nicole. Now with Alison coming back, it will get really interesting!

MICHAEL:

Alison Sweeney, (Sami) just gave birth last week to a baby girl. When can we expect her back on the canvas to ‘duke it out’ with Nicole?

ARIANNE:

Alison had her baby last Monday, and she will soon be coming back to the grind. I think she only took two weeks off, so it will be exciting.

MICHAEL:

What do you hope to feel when you come off the stage on Saturday night?

ARIANNE:

Laughter! Making people laugh, and coming on the heels of Tuesday’s presidential inauguration, there is a lot of positivity right now. I think laughter is the best medicine for everything. If I get my lines out right, it will be a success!

MICHAEL:

Speaking of lines, you have so much to memorize on “DAYS”. Do you ever check
out and say, “Enough,
I can’t anymore?”

ARIANNE:

By the end of the week, your brain gets a little mushy. I find that I have to work and prepare either right after I get off work, or stay at work and learn my lines, or at least the majority of them, or I have to get up at five in the morning. After dinner time, I am useless when it comes to memorization. It works out well, and boy are we working fast! Between getting my hair and make-up done at 6:15AM, and getting ready before we get on stage, I barely run my lines with my co-stars. That’s why I feel doing stuff like the ACME theatre will be really fun. I have a week or at least four days to rehearse my lines!

MICHAEL:

How is working with devious Dr. Baker, played by soap vet, John Callahan? Don’t you guys break up in laughter sometimes?

ARIANNE:

He cracks me up. We try to get the laughter out beforehand. Some of the lines coming up with the whole Sami situation are so funny coming from him. We get a kick out of the story. He is enjoying himself.

MICHAEL:

This is the week of the final performances of Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn. (Marlena and John) Were you on the set for their
goodbyes?

ARIANNE:

I was at the studio, and they did not want a big final ‘ta-do’. I watched them on the show as a ‘tween’ in summers with my cousin, and its nuts, but they have their reasons. I am sad to see them go. I don’t know if they are gone for good or who knows, but stranger things have happened on the soaps.

MICHAEL:

Did you set any New Year’s resolutions for 2009?

ARIANNE:

I set goals, like my grocery list, and they happen when they happen. I try to manifest everything I want in my life. New Year’s resolutions to me are like Valentine’s Day, and Valentines Day should be all the time.

MICHAEL:

Now, I have to talk to you about my other favorite performance of the year. That is of you as the head writer on the online soap, “Life in General”. What if you win the Soap Opera Spirit Award on Wednesday? How do you feel about the project?

ARIANNE:

That would be so exciting to win! I really hope “Life in General” goes. I love Karen Harris. She is wonderful! Basically, I played Karen Harris, I think. I came across this role through my old producer on “DAYS”, Roy Steinberg, who was working on it. The heart behind the show is: no one is making any money and it’s a really great project, and a great idea. I am sure many people thought of the idea, but Karen pushed it through. It’s two shows in one. It’s clever and obviously has great actors (She laughs referring to herself) I mean, Jobeth Williams from “Poltergeist”, which was my favorite movie, was in it. I had to hold my self back and not say, “I am your biggest fan!”

MICHAEL:

During my “Life in General” interviews, I spoke with Brynn Thayer, and she also told me how much she loved working with you.

ARIANNE:

I tried to get Brynn as my mother on “DAYS”, so we will see if that happens. I would love to see the show move. It’s gotten great reviews. It’s just a matter of time before this whole internet thing is huge. I would love to see it go, and I would play that and do Nicole.

MICHAEL:

Then you must be a workaholic, right?

ARIANNE:

I love working, and when you are an actor you just eat it up. I would rather be exhausted from doing what I love to do, than anything else.

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/article/articleItem.cfm?cms_article_id=65
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

She really is one of my favorites..I'm glad Ali won't be gone for long..I look forward to her getting to interact with more characters than just Rafe..
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm surprisd Sweeney's only taking 2 weeks off. When she had Ben, she was off from February until May or June.

I am a little upset we don't get to see a final Marlena and Sami scene. :(

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I hope she wins that award! She sounds like she really is having a great time!

AS is only going to be off for TWO WEEKS???? :shame:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I love her attitude, and I'm tempted to try and get tickets to that show. For me she's also one of few actors to change my mind, because I thought she wasn't that great when she came on.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Jan 21 2009, 11:16 PM
I'm surprisd Sweeney's only taking 2 weeks off. When she had Ben, she was off from February until May or June.

I am a little upset we don't get to see a final Marlena and Sami scene. :(
Same here but I knew the minute they were fired there would be no way with Ali giving birth around this time. They could've thrown in a phone call though.

I just ADORE Ari. For me, she is the reason the baby story has worked most of the time and I figured she was happy with it and the writers for giving it to her. I, too, am surprised with how well they have handled her character. I just think everyone behind the scenes likes her and that is why she ended up being one of the characters that still maintained direction through the turmoil last year. I've sensed that. The show always seems to try to take care of the character. That's just the way I see it, anyway.

I also agree with the way she explained Nicole's motivations. She's grown into a fantastic actress IMO. I so wish she got more comedy and maybe after this she will. I just don't want her to be a cartoon like she was under JER. I figured Bryan would be who suggested this as soon as she mentioned it. I would love to see how she does on that show and I wonder how many from Days will come out. Should be fun.

I knew she took acting classes too. It shows. Ali and her seem fine and she seems to want to work more with her. Hopefully, this adds even more fuel to their feud. I can't wait until Sami and Rafe get to interact with others in Salem. Now that should be fun. I'm not shocked Ali is only taking two weeks. I figured as much. I think the difference this time is TBL and she will be able to bring her baby to the studio most likely so she should be ok.

I agree with her in that soaps have to try new things but that is not the reason for all the pairings. That was because of all the backstage BS last year. Since Tomlin, the stories at least have direction and the show has settled on it's couples and love interests. The writing may not be always there but at least they have settled that much down after all the vision clashing last year. I didn't expect her to say that though.

Not surprised she and Eric get along. You can sense they are at ease with each other.

And this is the first interview in ages that we heard no mention of Kyle Lowder. She usually always mentions him so I wonder if the rumors are true. Just an interesting observation, especially since she seems to be all about work now. She seems to be ok with working a ton, which I expected. She seems to be unfazed by all this airtime.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

px780
Jan 21 2009, 11:28 PM
I love her attitude, and I'm tempted to try and get tickets to that show. For me she's also one of few actors to change my mind, because I thought she wasn't that great when she came on.
Same here.

She was HORRIBLE. It wasn't until she got involved with Lauren Koslow and John Aniston that she took off. I've heard her credit them with helping her before. Once she became a vixen, she came alive and I first saw her range in Fall 2001 in her showdowns with her father, Paul. She still needed work and this time around she's proven, at least to me, that she's gotten it and that she is a fantastic actress in all respects.

ginababe
BANNED

I can't wait to see Ali return, but she really needs to take more than two weeks off, or she is going to burn out w/ everything she has going on!

Mason

2 weeks? That's it?

God forbid this show should be Sami free for any decent amount of time!

marisol40

Quote:

And this is the first interview in ages that we heard no mention of Kyle Lowder. She usually always mentions him so I wonder if the rumors are true.

What rumors??? Are these two on the outs again???

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

marisol40
Jan 21 2009, 11:44 PM
Quote:

And this is the first interview in ages that we heard no mention of Kyle Lowder. She usually always mentions him so I wonder if the rumors are true.

Well, again, it's just hearsay. I've seen many speculating on several sites that they MAY be. It's just weird because she's always either asked or talks about Kyle and she did none of it here. In fact, she hinted at being on her own and her talking about working alot and all, there is hints there. That's just me. I could very well be reading too much into it and, obviously, I hope all is well. It just struck me that he was not mentioned.

marisol40

Wow, that is sad if it's true.

Kenny
Member Avatar

"I tried to get Brynn as my mother on DAYS, so we will see if that happens."

What? Are they bringing Fay back? :puke:

angelbaby19212
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting

ginababe
BANNED

Mason
Jan 21 2009, 11:42 PM
2 weeks? That's it?

God forbid this show should be Sami free for any decent amount of time!
are you kidding me? god forbid the show should do w/out nicole..

ginababe
BANNED

marisol40
Quote:

Kyle didn't mention Ari in his recent interview either ... hmmm?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jan 22 2009, 12:18 AM
"I tried to get Brynn as my mother on DAYS, so we will see if that happens."

What? Are they bringing Fay back? :puke:
I forgot to mention that!

I like that idea. Nicole could use some family around. I liked Wildman as Fay because she was an decent actress but will admit the character was bland at times. A good actress could spice her up.

I think it was just Ari pitching the idea though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ginababe
Jan 22 2009, 12:47 AM
marisol40
Quote:

Kyle didn't mention Ari in his recent interview either ... hmmm?
I haven't read any of his recent interviews. That is interesting.

Whatever the case, I just hope they both end up ok no matter what and I give them alot of credit for trying to work things out after splitting the first time, especially in Hollywood.

Nicole Walker

Thanks for posting. Ari is awesome!!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I love reading that. It's neat to find out when an actor loves his/her craft and really works at it and isn't afraid to try new things. AND, it's neat to read about an actor who works at improvement. Based on the kudos, Ari did the right thing. And Ari NEEDS to be a strong actor to overcome this storyline. I'm so glad she's not phoning it in.
I'm just sorry it appears that she and Kyle might be on the outs, even if it is just a rumor. Then again, a couple with no children could often be very independent of each other. We'll just have to wait and see.
I still can't believe Allison is only taking two weeks off. She has two jobs and now two kids. Even with a nanny, it's hard to believe. I hope she takes care of herself............

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply