Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Entertainment Weekley: Goodbye to All of That; Days of Our Lives Dumps John and Marlena
Topic Started: Jan 24 2009, 06:47 PM (1,715 Views)
Gwennie
Member Avatar

More bad publicity for Days:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/01/goodbye-to-all.html

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jules

Thanks Gwennie. That says it all. It's not all about ratings. It's about losing something that can't be defined and this writer said what I feel very well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

misch
Member Avatar

that article hit the nail on the head for me. thanks for posting. the letting go of john and marlena's character just allowed me to step away for good. i started watching days in 1991 when dee returned. i feel in love with the stories and cast of characters and enjoyed how one storyline fed off another. each character was connected somehow.
now it's just people on a screen to me who have no substance or history. i am going to miss john and marlena and i miss days of what it once was. i do care about brady, sami, bo and hope, steve and kayla but i can't bear to watch anymore.
goodbye days 1991-2009 :drunk:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I understand the reasoning behind letting Drake and Dee go. I can't imagine what the budget is like now and how things need to be cut. But their exit story was so rushed; such a mess. It didn't have to be this way. It was as if the show went out of its way to make it as bad as possible

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mikegoldy
Jan 24 2009, 09:08 PM
I understand the reasoning behind letting Drake and Dee go. I can't imagine what the budget is like now and how things need to be cut. But their exit story was so rushed; such a mess. It didn't have to be this way. It was as if the show went out of its way to make it as bad as possible
Maybe someone pissed them off? :shrug:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 24 2009, 10:49 PM
Mikegoldy
Jan 24 2009, 09:08 PM
Maybe someone pissed them off? :shrug:
Could be. I understand that Dena didn't have all of the time in the world to plan an exit story, but their exit certainly could have been more dramatic, and could have tied into existing stories. Again, with the way the budget is, bold decisions needed to be made. I don't disagree with them being written out. But, bad exit story all around. But I do wish crazy Charlotte could stick around, always liked Sandra.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Thanks gwennie! It's true that this is typical of Days when it comes to sending off characters. I guess people are just shocked that they treated their biggest supercouple this way as well.

Evan
Member Avatar

Funnily enough I think Matt Ashford and Missy Reeves got a better sendoff in 2006!
I can't say I was a huge John/Marlena fan, but I recognise that they are part of DAYS history, indeed an integral part of the canvas, and the show will be all the poorer for their absence.

FanODays

Jiggs
Jan 25 2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks gwennie! It's true that this is typical of Days when it comes to sending off characters. I guess people are just shocked that they treated their biggest supercouple this way as well.
It was a horrific send off even for Days and it goes to show just how stupid the writers are. They could have used this week to feature J&M and give them a kick ass send off which would get people tuning in and perhaps, if they were smart about it, catch the interest of a few viewers. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........Corday is as stupid as ever and that send off was an embarrassment. I hope D&D never give Corday the time of day ever again.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
I'm not surprised. But then again, I don't think J&M are all that and a bag of chips anymore. After all, JER wrote Alice's supposed demise with a poison doughnut. Now THAT was harsh!

jules

Evan
Jan 25 2009, 06:55 AM
Funnily enough I think Matt Ashford and Missy Reeves got a better sendoff in 2006!
I can't say I was a huge John/Marlena fan, but I recognise that they are part of DAYS history, indeed an integral part of the canvas, and the show will be all the poorer for their absence.
Nice comments! It was an embarassment and I'm glad the mainstream press is acknowledging that. I doubt the soap magazines will, but maybe they'll surprise me.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 25 2009, 09:02 AM
Jiggs
I'm not surprised. But then again, I don't think J&M are all that and a bag of chips anymore. After all, JER wrote Alice's supposed demise with a poison doughnut. Now THAT was harsh!
And hit Maggie over the head with a wine bottle. Now those were originally supposed to be their supposed deaths for ever. Don't recall anyone bitching and moaning as much about those write-offs as they are now. And Alice is the true heart and soul of DAYS.

It's time to say good-bye and get on with the living.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Watch DOOL without JM,There's a better chance of me being struck by lightning than that happening,although yes part of me would love to watch it fall flat on its face and I may still read spoilers just to get a giggle out of how stupid things will be,but now I will have free time to do things I couldn't do.Without them and without putting more vets in the forefront,with GOOD stories,DOOL will sink faster than the Titanic did.
Edited by JohnandMarlenaFreak, Jan 25 2009, 10:39 AM.

jules

SpriteEyes
Jan 25 2009, 10:22 AM

I'm sure we are all "going on with the living", but since this is a message board many people like to let loose with their feelings and opinions. I think that's part of living as well.

sungrey

SpriteEyes
ladyofthelake
Jiggs
And hit Maggie over the head with a wine bottle. Now those were originally supposed to be their supposed deaths for ever. Don't recall anyone bitching and moaning as much about those write-offs as they are now. And Alice is the true heart and soul of DAYS.

Back then, Sprite, the disgusting thing is people were actually CHEERING these deaths... all the while not realizing that Days as they knew it was ceasing to exist and would be much worse without all these vets.

And with that I'll stop. The Stalker story still gets me so worked up I get pissed about it. And it's been four years. lol

Kyrai

sungrey
Jan 25 2009, 11:06 AM
SpriteEyes
ladyofthelake
Jiggs

Back then, Sprite, the disgusting thing is people were actually CHEERING these deaths... all the while not realizing that Days as they knew it was ceasing to exist and would be much worse without all these vets.

And with that I'll stop. The Stalker story still gets me so worked up I get pissed about it. And it's been four years. lol
I feel like I'm crazy. I remember the stalker killings and hated them. I hated one of my favorite characters killing Doug, Maggie, Roman, Tony, the characters I loved (yes, I even liked Roman then because he was with Kate). The scene with Alice just killed me. I was praying John, Bo, anyone would get there to save Alice. That scene, all those scenes, just hurt. I wasn't online then, but I can't imagine anyone cheering this on. I still hate that s/l to this day, and I'm generally fairly forgiving of storylines.

I could have sworn there was tremendous backlash from them killing off Alice.

I've hated many sendoffs through the years. I STILL hate Kim and Shane not getting reunited and at least sent off together. I don't understand why the fact that there have been other bad stories make this one any less painful?

This article spoke volumes to me. Not just because John and Marlena are gone and got a terrible send-off, but because the show that used to be about love and relationships, friends and family isn't anymore, at least not to me.

I really appreciate the kind sympathetic thoughts and words from fans that weren't J&M fans. I've always felt Days was an ensemble show. I wouldn't have enjoyed John and Marlena as much over the years if it weren't for characters like Alice, Caroline, Shawn, Kim, Kayla, Bo, Abe, Lexie, Maggie, Mickey, Mike, Jennifer, Anna, Calliope (I just loved her), Vivian, Vic, etc. There have been great actors/characters on this show over the years, and I'm thankful for the great memories I have. There's still a lot more I wanted to see, but there probably always would be.

I've come to terms with the show I love being gone, but I do wish the best for those remaining.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Jan 25 2009, 11:33 AM
sungrey
Jan 25 2009, 11:06 AM
SpriteEyes
ladyofthelake
Jiggs

I feel like I'm crazy. I remember the stalker killings and hated them. I hated one of my favorite characters killing Doug, Maggie, Roman, Tony, the characters I loved (yes, I even liked Roman then because he was with Kate). The scene with Alice just killed me. I was praying John, Bo, anyone would get there to save Alice. That scene, all those scenes, just hurt. I wasn't online then, but I can't imagine anyone cheering this on. I still hate that s/l to this day, and I'm generally fairly forgiving of storylines.

I could have sworn there was tremendous backlash from them killing off Alice.

I've hated many sendoffs through the years. I STILL hate Kim and Shane not getting reunited and at least sent off together. I don't understand why the fact that there have been other bad stories make this one any less painful?

This article spoke volumes to me. Not just because John and Marlena are gone and got a terrible send-off, but because the show that used to be about love and relationships, friends and family isn't anymore, at least not to me.

I really appreciate the kind sympathetic thoughts and words from fans that weren't J&M fans. I've always felt Days was an ensemble show. I wouldn't have enjoyed John and Marlena as much over the years if it weren't for characters like Alice, Caroline, Shawn, Kim, Kayla, Bo, Abe, Lexie, Maggie, Mickey, Mike, Jennifer, Anna, Calliope (I just loved her), Vivian, Vic, etc. There have been great actors/characters on this show over the years, and I'm thankful for the great memories I have. There's still a lot more I wanted to see, but there probably always would be.

I've come to terms with the show I love being gone, but I do wish the best for those remaining.

I think maybe the saddest thing for me these days, is I just am truly not able to watch any soap anymore for pure enjoyment. I'm not sure if it's just because I know too much about what goes on backstage or if I have just seen every story and there isn't anything new. I certainly love the genre, but there isn't anything
that captures my imagination or heart anymore. I enjoy certain scenes and performances, and enjoy a show when I think it is moving in the right direction or the direction it needs to go in to survive. So, while I understand how much John and Marlena have meant to the show (and truly, they WERE the stars of the show during the 90's, when the ratings were at their best), I guess I just understand writing off the characters will be saving lots of money for the show. But that all being said, their exit could have been dynamic, and set up future story for so many other characters. John and Marlena couldn't even have goodbye scenes with Bo and Hope, Maggie, Caroline, and others? Did Marlena have to act as if she couldn't care less that Sami was in witness protection and that she couldn't say goodbye to her daughter? These are some of the things I just don't get.

soapfan35

Gwennie
Jan 24 2009, 06:47 PM
Excellent article! Glad to see others recognize the travesty that took place last week.

peaches179

Thanks for posting.

sungrey

When the mainstream press like EW, MSNBC, USA TODAY, etc., starts writing about something like this, you just know NBC screwed up.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply