Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days actor fired from the show
Topic Started: Jan 29 2009, 09:10 AM (9,599 Views)
3martinilunch
Member Avatar

If it's Thaao, I'm just going to be really upset. He was the last reason I had left to watch the show with hopes that Leann would return as well. They are wonderful people and they definitely do not deserve this treatment just like the DHs didn't deserve this. I can't believe how upsetting this show is. I'm anxious to see who it is but I'm really unhappy that any vet is getting fired.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Evan
Member Avatar

It's got to be Thaao - he's been fired before, Higley obviously doesn't want to write for Tony and Anna. And Leann Hunley hasn't been on DAYS since September, so it'd be easy enough to write her off as well.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Jan 29 2009, 04:50 PM
Pretty In Pink
Jan 29 2009, 04:37 PM
Tony and Anna are a supercouple. I think most people that watched in the 80's would agree with me. I wouldn't put it past Corday to screw Thaao over again. I have lost count at how many times he has done it already. What's one more time? It could be anyone that was fired at this point though.
Tony and Anna are not a supercouple. They may be popular (I don't think they really are except for the people who work at UPS who like small packages) but they arent' a supercouple. The only two left on Days are Bope and Payla.
I don't work at UPS and IMHO, Tony & Anna are just as much a supercouple as Bo/Hope and Steve/Kayla.

I also think they were very popular in the 80's. :rockon:

Mason
Member Avatar

Tony/Anna are definitely a supercouple, if you ask me. I didn't even watch the show in the 80s when they were huge, and I know that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

They are a supercouple to me too.

I've always thought of Days as having 3 levels of supercouples:

The MAJOR (most popular) ones: Bo/Hope, John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla, Jack/Jennifer
The SECONDARY (still rather popular) ones: Kim/Shane, Tony/Anna, Adrienne.Justin, etc.
The BLOSSOMING (on the rise) ones: Shawn/Belle, Philip/Chloe, Austin/Carrie, etc.

This is just the way I look at it but I think some had more impact then others. Tony/Anna had impact but they weren't on the show long and were gone for so long and even back in the 80's they didn't get as much of the spotlight as other couples.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Jan 29 2009, 07:41 PM

The MAJOR (most popular) ones: Bo/Hope, John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla, Jack/Jennifer
The SECONDARY (still rather popular) ones: Kim/Shane, Tony/Anna, Adrienne.Justin, etc.
The BLOSSOMING (on the rise) ones: Shawn/Belle, Philip/Chloe, Austin/Carrie, etc.

This is just the way I look at it but I think some had more impact then others. Tony/Anna had impact but they weren't on the show long and were gone for so long and even back in the 80's they didn't get as much of the spotlight as other couples.
Philip/Chloe? Really?

I don't disagree with the concept you're using, but I'd definitely put Kim & Shane on 'Tier 1', unless you're factoring in how long they've been offscreen.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Jan 29 2009, 07:45 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 29 2009, 07:41 PM

Philip/Chloe? Really?

I don't disagree with the concept you're using, but I'd definitely put Kim & Shane on 'Tier 1', unless you're factoring in how long they've been offscreen.
Yeah. I am. I also think Kim and Shane took a hit as time went on. I think the way they ended up at the end and the whole Kayla/Shane thing, as well as Kim being recast for a time, hurt them big time.

Philip/Chloe were on their way to being one, as were Brady/Chloe. The Philip/Chloe/Brady triangle was hugely popular in the early 200o's and both sides were very vocal and passionate.

Ponz
Member Avatar

The Supercouple concept (big "S") refers to a particular creative strategy and style of writing used from around 1982 to 1991. It was successfully applied to Bo/Hope, Roman/Marlena, RoJohn/Marlena, Shane/Kim, Steve/Kayla and Jack/Jennifer. Tony/Anna were also very popular but TPTB didn't quite invest in them to the same extent as the others. The strategy was also attempted with Adrienne/Justin but they never quite took off and are widely considered a "failed" supercouple.

The term "supercouple" (small "s") is pretty arbitrary and can be used to denote any reasonably successful/popular pairing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Jan 29 2009, 08:39 PM
The Supercouple concept (big "S") refers to a particular creative strategy and style of writing used from around 1982 to 1991. It was successfully applied to Bo/Hope, Roman/Marlena, RoJohn/Marlena, Shane/Kim, Steve/Kayla and Jack/Jennifer. Tony/Anna were also very popular but TPTB didn't quite invest in them to the same extent as the others. The strategy was also attempted with Adrienne/Justin but they never quite took off and are widely considered a "failed" supercouple.

The term "supercouple" (small "s") is pretty arbitrary and can be used to denote any reasonably successful/popular pairing.

Ponz, is that your definition (and it's fine if it is because it makes sense) or is that like off wikipedia or something?

Seriously, if that is some sort of professional definition from an encyclopedia, I will worry about the people that actually felt the term "supercouple" deserved to have a definition that sounds that technical LOL.

Chelikins
Member Avatar

I personally could not see a Hope/Steve pairing.. that would be... just no.. no! ;-) Anyways as for Thaoo, yes he is a marvelous actor and should be used ALOT more.. I mean if him and EJ really got together they would be a powerhouse against those that would harm the Dimeras.

I understand the teirs, I see couples that way also. I loved loved loved Jenn/Jack, I miss them alot. I don't see Phillip/Chloe though. I think Phillip/Steph are a great couple.

I personally think Nicole is losing her mind, I think Sami has already lost hers. I think both characters though need to get back to what they were, not what they have become. They have very talented actresses playing these characters and they need to show it. I mean Sami's character is so strung out they have her in a "relationship" with three different men and still no where to go! Nicole is not being a devlishly, insightful bitch but a neurotic, simpleton who has no sense of a good idea.

Wow ... um.. hmm.. sorry for the rant there! But anyway I think Days has lost the sense of supercouples and is just looking at coupling. I am sure who ever is being let go will be a stupid stupid mistake.

Chelikins

brimike

Ponz

Wait - who says Justin and Adrienne were "widely considered a failed supercouple"?

Man, I was all about Justin and Adrienne. I thought they had a pretty solid fan base. Hell, they even went to Greece for their wedding!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^So did I.

I will acknowledge they could be bland at times, especially at the end, and that their popularity was nowhere near the level of couples like Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla, etc but I do think they were quite popular. I enjoyed them for most of their run.

Pretty In Pink

CatherineEarnshaw
Jan 29 2009, 04:50 PM
Pretty In Pink
Jan 29 2009, 04:37 PM
Tony and Anna are a supercouple. I think most people that watched in the 80's would agree with me. I wouldn't put it past Corday to screw Thaao over again. I have lost count at how many times he has done it already. What's one more time? It could be anyone that was fired at this point though.
Tony and Anna are not a supercouple. They may be popular (I don't think they really are except for the people who work at UPS who like small packages) but they arent' a supercouple. The only two left on Days are Bope and Payla.
Tony and Anna ARE a supercouple. They have been a supercouple longer than a lot of people that watch Days now has been alive. This is what a supercouple looked like in the 80's. They were and still are a supercouple not to mention SMOKIN' HOT!

Posted Image

Posted Image

photos courtesy of thaaopenghlis.com

Oh and most if not all Thaao/Tanna fans like big packages. ;)

dooldooldool

1. There is no such thing as "March Sweeps". Sweeps are in Feb, May, and Nov. The FEB sweeps began today (Thursday Jan 29) and run until Wed Feb 25.

2. Recall a few months back when another "brand new blog" was spewing histrionics. It was ZAPPED and deleted and gone-zo.

3. I have no idea who.what this "Nelson" dweed is, but clearly the "Diva" just wants to mock him.

For these three reasons, I expect the "Diva Blog" to "suddenly" disappear.

That said, killing off a vet or two isn't really a bad thing. Or even killing off a random day player or minor cast member, for that matter. This is Salem, after all, so no one really does die.

Edited by dooldooldool, Jan 29 2009, 09:38 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Well, for what it's worth:
1. My surfing in the morning with my Special K will be very interesting.
2. The Diva is bookmarked on my computer
3. Reliable sources aren't required to like Nelson, Marlena D., Carolyn Hinsey, Stephanie Sloane, or ANYONE.They are all public figures and if they are published, they are open to scrutiny and criticism. Just like the diva is here.
4. I also consider Tony and Anna a supercouple.
5. I get the feeling that whatever the outcome, I won't be happy.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

dooldooldool
Jan 29 2009, 09:36 PM
1. There is no such thing as "March Sweeps". Sweeps are in Feb, May, and Nov. The FEB sweeps began today (Thursday Jan 29) and run until Wed Feb 25.

2. Recall a few months back when another "brand new blog" was spewing histrionics. It was ZAPPED and deleted and gone-zo.

3. I have no idea who.what this "Nelson" dweed is, but clearly the "Diva" just wants to mock him.

That said, killing off a vet or two isn't really a bad thing. Or even killing off a random day player or minor cast member, for that matter. This is Salem, after all, so no one really does die.

They are in March this year.

Nielsen is moving the February 2009 sweeps to March to avoid the "potential disruptions" associated with the switch to digital on February 17th. "February" sweeps will actually take place March 5 - April 1, 2009.

http://welovesoaps.blogspot.com/2008/12/february-sweeps-in-march-in-2009.html

Pretty In Pink

ladyofthelake
Jan 29 2009, 09:38 PM
Well, for what it's worth:
1. My surfing in the morning with my Special K will be very interesting.
2. The Diva is bookmarked on my computer
3. Reliable sources aren't required to like Nelson, Marlena D., Carolyn Hinsey, Stephanie Sloane, or ANYONE.They are all public figures and if they are published, they are open to scrutiny and criticism. Just like the diva is here.
4. I also consider Tony and Anna a supercouple.
5. I get the feeling that whatever the outcome, I won't be happy.
:iagree:

cjknick
Member Avatar

dooldooldool

Updated on January 23:

In light of the sweeps schedule for this year, the scheduled dates for the new March Sweeps will run from March 5 to April 1. Please note, the next sweeps, what we've always referred to as May Sweeps, will remain the same and run from April 23 to May 20.

http://www.soaps.com/latestnews/1836/Once_February_Sweeps_Now_March_Sweeps

downwhtone
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Sorry, but sweeps were pushed to March this year because of the switch to Digital TV signals:

Quote:

In light of the sweeps schedule for this year, the scheduled dates for the new March Sweeps will run from March 5 to April 1. Please note, the next sweeps, what we've always referred to as May Sweeps, will remain the same and run from April 23 to May 20.

Ponz
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 29 2009, 08:50 PM
Ponz

Ponz, is that your definition (and it's fine if it is because it makes sense) or is that like off wikipedia or something?

Seriously, if that is some sort of professional definition from an encyclopedia, I will worry about the people that actually felt the term "supercouple" deserved to have a definition that sounds that technical LOL.

Nah, that's just my definition. :P It reflects interviews I've read with writers/producers from that era, though. When Langan made his comment about tossing the supercouples off a building, he was referring to that style of writing moreso than the couples themselves (though he did a pretty good job trashing them too, lol).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply