Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thaao Penghlis was fired
Topic Started: Jan 30 2009, 12:01 AM (5,301 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

misch
Jan 30 2009, 12:18 AM
it irritates me tony can never be just tony. is it tony, no it's andre, no, wait, tony, no andre.
Agreed. Tony being written off as Andre is SO overdone. How would they even explain how Andre's alive and where Tony's been, and when/how the switch took place?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Your right, Mason but at least it protects the character of Tony. That matters more to me then having to result to Andre again.

They could avoid all this by not doing it all but, alas, it is what it is and I think Andre is the best option.

daysfan
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jan 30 2009, 12:16 AM
I would rather have it be Andre and I'm sure Thaoo would too. That may be why he played him as Andre-like, just like before his exit in the 90's. He may have seen the writing on the wall.

I would rather it be Andre then Tony because at least he wouldn't be destroyed after all the work Hogan did to salvage him.

This is very odd. The show has adopted a JER-like style as far as stories and such since Tomlin and Whitesell came on and, much like during JER's stints, here Thaoo is getting fired and killed off again. Weird.
I do agree, but honestly, Tomlin/Whitesell have always had a very JER-style...the big difference is that Tomlin/Whitesell seem much more fun campy(except they haven't done a thing this time around on Days). JER was like that on his own soap but never on a soap he took over.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Mason
Jan 30 2009, 12:20 AM
misch
it irritates me tony can never be just tony. is it tony, no it's andre, no, wait, tony, no andre.
Agreed. Tony being written off as Andre is SO overdone. How would they even explain how Andre's alive and where Tony's been, and when/how the switch took place?
Maybe Tony is where ever Anna is and Andre has been in Salem posing as Tony......

Of course that makes sense somewhat so that's probably not it....

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Your right, daysfan. JER's camp in the 90's had a more serious tone, although not so much toward the end of his first run and for the bulk of his second run. Those periods he was a writing a little bit like Tomlin/Whitesell in terms of camp.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Jan 30 2009, 12:25 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Jan 30 2009, 12:24 AM
Mason

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Maybe Tony is where ever Anna is and Andre has been in Salem posing as Tony......

I mean, I suppose having Andre be the one murdered would be the lesser of two evils in this case, but still...STUPID!!!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

PhoenixRising05
Jan 30 2009, 12:21 AM
^Your right, Mason but at least it protects the character of Tony. That matters more to me then having to result to Andre again.

They could avoid all this by not doing it all but, alas, it is what it is and I think Andre is the best option.
do you really think they'd bring him back again for it to matter though?

Fired 4 times, no direction for his character, no use for his character, no money to pay for Thaao ...

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rhiannon
Jan 30 2009, 12:24 AM
Mason

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep

That is probably what they will do.

They made mentions of Anna not being around lately. I remember Nicole had a line about it. Tony acting strangely I'm sure was more Thaoo then the writers but I do think they will use it. I bet they will have "Tony" learn the truth about Nicole as he is already suspicious and he will also learn about Chloe and Daniel's affair too, among other things. Maybe he will be behind the mayor's murder as well. Either way, I do think we will see something along the lines of Anna's absence and Tony's recent behavior being factored in.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Jan 30 2009, 12:27 AM
PhoenixRising05

Fired 4 times, no direction for his character, no use for his character, no money to pay for Thaao ...
Who knows with this show. I wouldn't get wrapped up in the money thing because Corday can't handle finances worth a shit. This is the same man that brought back 10 people in May 2007 and had one setsider wondering how the hell he was doing it as there was no money. I do think Thaoo would return too. He's been treated awful in the past and returned.

He probably won't return but I think they know the Andre possibility is there so they probably would do that rather then just make Tony a nut.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Oh honestly, if the show lives on, I'm sure Thaao will be back someday. He was screwed over in the 90's, and constantly during the 00's, so I'm sure he'll come back if the show ever wants him back, and I'm sure they will someday.

Its sad. I really think the only writers who brought him back and never screwed him over was B&C in 2002.

King
Member Avatar

Tanna should have been gone a while ago.

Is she even still around?

I feel bad for Thaao, but Tony is...well, boring. Thaao is talented.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Jan 30 2009, 12:09 AM
Kevc1980
Jan 30 2009, 12:06 AM
Thank god...Finally someone who is expendable...Can Josh Taylor please be cut next?
He's been the most expendable person for years and is still there because he's such a buddy of Corday's. If he wasn't a FOC he probably would have been let go a LONG time ago.....

He never would have been hired to play Roman in the first place.

As for Thaao, they never should have brought him back in 2001 or whenever they brought him back as Tony again.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
misch
They wouldn't bother to explain it, just like it never made sense when they tried to rewrite Tony being dead in Aremid.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

I love Thaao and Tony and if I had my druthers it would be Steve and Kayla going bye bye and not Tony and Anna, but unlike the Drake and Deidre thing, this cut at least actually makes sense to me as much as I don't like it.

I wonder if they will have Nicole murder Tony if he finds out about her baby switch? That would send Ari packing as well, I'd think, but I don't see the show parting with her as much airtime as they've given her the last year.

e83talus
Member Avatar

I feel bad for Thaoo. What a waste of Tanna as there was some excitement over the last year about possibilities for these two fresh yet vet faces. I know I was excited about them mixing it up with J&M, Ej and Stefano in August. Stefano can really go as well as he has no sworn enemies to work against now with John and Thaoo gone and Steve cut down to once a month scenes.

No offense to any of you however, I still don't see Tanna as a "super couple" although vet status they do have. Super couple to me still means that a couple has endured some sort of drama's and/or enemies, third parties, and dire situations only to prevail time and time again. I just don't see this with these two.
I can even see an agument for Lumi being a supercouple before I would label these two as such.
Great couple? Sure.
Memorable couple? Absolutely.
Vet Couple? You got it.
Super couple? Not so much.

Evan
Member Avatar

It doesn't look good firing a member of your cast that was nominated for an Emmy last year!
Why is it that the vets are expendable and mediocre actors like Molly Burnett and Darin Brooks are still there? :huh: :huh:

sungrey

Evan, it's all about the Benjamins. Can't say I'm surprised by this move, but if they're going to kill "Tony" he better damn well be Andre.

This move won't cripple the Days fan base, but it's another nail in the coffin for us 25-year plus fans. Cripes.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Angie79
Jan 30 2009, 12:03 AM
This "Diva" sure played this up to be some big shocker when it isn't at all.
When I found out earlier this week I was told something else, why it wasn't supposed to come out untill today. It had nothing to do with a "Diva's Blog".

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Drew
Jan 30 2009, 12:27 AM
PhoenixRising05

Corday told Thaao there is a chance he will come back. Don't know if he means as a ghost or coming back from the dead.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Evan
Jan 30 2009, 02:04 AM
It doesn't look good firing a member of your cast that was nominated for an Emmy last year!
Why is it that the vets are expendable and mediocre actors like Molly Burnett and Darin Brooks are still there? :huh: :huh:
Well, let's remember Darin Brooks was nominated for an Emmy last year too, whether he deserved to be or not. Emmy wins or nods mean squat, especially with the current system, anyway. I don't think that makes this a bad move. It's a logical move but it sucks because Thaoo is very talented and there was potential for both him and LeAnn.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply