Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thaao Penghlis was fired
Topic Started: Jan 30 2009, 12:01 AM (5,310 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Jan 30 2009, 02:13 AM
Drew
Jan 30 2009, 12:27 AM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Corday told Thaao there is a chance he will come back. Don't know if he means as a ghost or coming back from the dead.
I don't expect you to elaborate on how you know that, Sindacco, because I know sometimes one can't and it can be too risky. I just want to know if you feel secure in the source of that info.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Now we know why Tony started smoking again. I think Thaoo tries the old trick and switch Andre with Tony in the case they would want to bring him back again.

But Iīm almost sure TPTB intends to be really Tony this time. He is becaming powerhungry, angry to be shut off by his father, and who knows who hired the killer.

I cannot say Iīm upset with this because I think they should never bring Anna and Tonny back, especially after the less than expexted response theyīve got for Stayla. When you are not able to write for vet married couples you already have on the show you donīt solve the problem by bringing another 80īs couple who reunites and next what?

Iīm sorry for Thaoo and especially LeeAnn who was given a fake hope she could be an important player on the show again, but itīs time to clean Cordayīs mess. The writing was pretty much on the wall last year and just because Corday was coward to fire fresh Emmy nominated actor he paid him another year for absolutely nothing.

This was an inevitable move.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Jan 30 2009, 12:24 AM
Mason
Jan 30 2009, 12:20 AM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
Maybe Tony is where ever Anna is and Andre has been in Salem posing as Tony......

Of course that makes sense somewhat so that's probably not it....

Thaao/Tony/Andre was the only one that made sense. I love Thaao and I will miss this character heck I've missed his characters for awhile now but this is no surprise. I'm sure they will have quite the salary savings with him.

This seems to be coming on all of a sudden - this murder mystery - and didn't we just have a murder mystery with Trent just a few months ago? How many of those do they need in a years time anyway? So the Diva says it's going to be a Vet that knocks him off ... they better make this good - no hokey - stab in the gut cementary scene (Why Trent, Melanie and Nick were in a cementary was beyond me)

Makes you wonder if James did decide not to re-sign and they are closing down the DiMera s/l ... the rumor that Ari is leaving would fit into that senerio.
Edited by cjknick, Jan 30 2009, 08:40 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

That is such a shame. Anna and Tony really had sparks. From what I understand about Thaao, though, he'll be fine. Guy's been through the wringer so much with Days, he's smart enough to always have a contingency plan. I will miss him and Leeanne both, though. Leeanne adds such spark and charm to the show.
I'm really enjoying this blogger for various reasons. It's neat to read new viewpoints from someone who isn't constrained by what they say. Course, that could go both ways. But, it's entertaining none the less, especially the caps. Prevuze, Serial Drama, and now the Daytime Diva.

pnelsen

Don't forget they fired Judy Evans this past year. She was nominated for an emmy also last year.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Corday told Thaao there is a chance he will come back. Don't know if he means as a ghost or coming back from the dead.
He's been selling that oceanfront property in Arizona for years now.

Regardless, this news is underwhelming. They do so little with Tony already, half the time I forget he's even still around.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kenny
Jan 30 2009, 06:39 AM
Sindacco
He's been selling that oceanfront property in Arizona for years now.
Why? Thaao did eventually come back. Corday never set a time limit, did he? :P

Kenny
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 30 2009, 06:40 AM
Well, I suppose technically that's true, but I don't see it happening this time.

Virtually every return they've given us in the last five years or so has been severely botched, with very few exceptions -- like Nicole. There's no way they'll bring any of them back again just to have the same result.

If they haven't been able to write anything decent for Thaao since 2002 (with the exclusion of a few decent stories, but none since 2006), there's no reason to believe they'll suddenly get the urge to write anything for him in the next year or two, either. 2010 comes quick!

FanODays

I'm only a bit shocked especially when I think about how this could mean an emmy winner and an emmy nominee will be let go while newbies who can't act for shit are brought on.

Its also such a joke because 'Tony' has been killed or written off how many times? Almost as many as Hope has been kidnapped.

Pretty In Pink

e83talus
Jan 30 2009, 01:40 AM
I feel bad for Thaoo. What a waste of Tanna as there was some excitement over the last year about possibilities for these two fresh yet vet faces. I know I was excited about them mixing it up with J&M, Ej and Stefano in August. Stefano can really go as well as he has no sworn enemies to work against now with John and Thaoo gone and Steve cut down to once a month scenes.

No offense to any of you however, I still don't see Tanna as a "super couple" although vet status they do have. Super couple to me still means that a couple has endured some sort of drama's and/or enemies, third parties, and dire situations only to prevail time and time again. I just don't see this with these two.
I can even see an agument for Lumi being a supercouple before I would label these two as such.
Great couple? Sure.
Memorable couple? Absolutely.
Vet Couple? You got it.
Super couple? Not so much.

You can always refresh your memory by visiting youtube because this couple had plenty of drama they had to survive and enemies: Renee, who was responsible for Anna's miscarriage, Stefano who tried to kill them both more than once and locked both of them up, Andre, ditto, Alex Marshall, etc. Along with Roman and Marlena and to a lesser degree Bope, they were the center of the Slasher storyline for nine months and that was after more than two years of Tony/Renee/Anna and David. Anna and Tony's relationship was one of the more unique ones one a show that has had a number. They weren't star crossed lovers. Anna drugged him so she and Alex Marshall could get her hands on his money. This couple had nothing but drama and enemies at every turn. Despite the fact they were only together for seven months before Thaao left in 85, they left a memorable impression more than 20 years later and that includes fans who are not even old enough to have been born at the time.

What they didn't have is longevity, and that wasn't because Days wasn't interested enough to invest in them...they wanted to very much, but Thaao was ready to move on in 85.

The only thing J/M, Bope, S/K and J/J have that Tanna does not is more years onscreen. I have to wonder if any of these 'supercouples' were off the show for more than 20 years, would the fans still be writing in asking to have them back? So far, only S/K was off almost as long before they returned.

Pretty In Pink

Sindacco
Jan 30 2009, 02:09 AM
Angie79
Jan 30 2009, 12:03 AM
This "Diva" sure played this up to be some big shocker when it isn't at all.
When I found out earlier this week I was told something else, why it wasn't supposed to come out untill today. It had nothing to do with a "Diva's Blog".
Exactly!

Days4Life

No big surprise that it's Thaao, as he has barely been on the show the last few months. I'm fond of the character Tony and will miss him, but this is a cut that at least makes sense. If they want to have a vet be the murderer so they can write off another character, please let it be Roman! He should have been gone a long time ago.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. I think this was a "better" (for lack of a better word) choice than SN or MBE at the moment. The writers obviously don't won't to write for Thaao, which is a shame. The glimpses we saw into scenes between him and JS or Joe or Leanne were great. He really is a fabulous actor. But, if tptb aren't going to write for him, then let him go and find other work. I do think it's a shame that tptb are getting rid of seasoned veterans and keeping other actors who have serious acting shortcomings.

cjknick
Member Avatar

You know there could have been some behind the scenes drama playing into all of this ... Thaao expressed how unhappy he was with the writing, his lack of storyline and the fact that LeAnne wasn't being used much. I wouldn't think Thaao needs this job bad enough to take a paycut. Plus he may have been very displeased with the fact that Deidre and Drake were fired.

jane1978

Kenny
Jan 30 2009, 07:04 AM
ladyofthelake
Jan 30 2009, 06:40 AM
Well, I suppose technically that's true, but I don't see it happening this time.

Virtually every return they've given us in the last five years or so has been severely botched, with very few exceptions -- like Nicole. There's no way they'll bring any of them back again just to have the same result.

If they haven't been able to write anything decent for Thaao since 2002 (with the exclusion of a few decent stories, but none since 2006), there's no reason to believe they'll suddenly get the urge to write anything for him in the next year or two, either. 2010 comes quick!
Thatīs right. But Nicolīs return was also the only initiated by writer. Usually itīs Corday and one his plans to save DAYS who suddenly decides to bring someone back, forces the writer to make a quick change and throws the show completely off track in the process.

Kyrai

cjknick
Jan 30 2009, 08:44 AM
You know there could have been some behind the scenes drama playing into all of this ... Thaao expressed how unhappy he was with the writing, his lack of storyline and the fact that LeAnne wasn't being used much. I wouldn't think Thaao needs this job bad enough to take a paycut. Plus he may have been very displeased with the fact that Deidre and Drake were fired.
I would think he'd have been displeased in general. He seems so intelligent and interested in the potential of the character of Tony, I don't think these writers are capable of writing a good story, and he probably realized it. It has to be frustrating to be talented and to be completely unappreciated.

If a story takes any depth or creativity or thought, these writers won't go there. If I felt like they were making changes because they are focused on a direction, it would be one thing. I do think they need to take stock in what they have and refocus, give the show some direction. But I think they're not trying to make decisions for the show. They're just looking at budget. I'm not saying TP, or D&D, or BB shouldn't have been let go if they had looked at where they want to go. I just don't feel like they have.

They seem to write stories on the fly and only able to focus on one story at a time. They write to death what they love, barely putting time to any other stories which gets old pretty quick no matter how much you like a character. If they don't want to write for Tanna, they won't. They'll continue to give it lip service with random scenes.

I've been thinking Stefano would have to go eventually too, otherwise, how could they have Sami ever get back with Ej (assuming they are still going there) after all this 'concern' over Stefano ruining their baby. These writers have such tunnel vision. They don't understood balance or diversity, or the power of unique and interesting characters.

I have to wonder if these writers are just dirt cheap or something. I can't figure out why they keep them. Seems like someone fresh out of school would do better.

Edited by Kyrai, Jan 30 2009, 09:08 AM.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Pretty In Pink
Jan 30 2009, 07:50 AM
e83talus
Jan 30 2009, 01:40 AM
I feel bad for Thaoo. What a waste of Tanna as there was some excitement over the last year about possibilities for these two fresh yet vet faces. I know I was excited about them mixing it up with J&M, Ej and Stefano in August. Stefano can really go as well as he has no sworn enemies to work against now with John and Thaoo gone and Steve cut down to once a month scenes.

No offense to any of you however, I still don't see Tanna as a "super couple" although vet status they do have. Super couple to me still means that a couple has endured some sort of drama's and/or enemies, third parties, and dire situations only to prevail time and time again. I just don't see this with these two.
I can even see an agument for Lumi being a supercouple before I would label these two as such.
Great couple? Sure.
Memorable couple? Absolutely.
Vet Couple? You got it.
Super couple? Not so much.

You can always refresh your memory by visiting youtube because this couple had plenty of drama they had to survive and enemies: Renee, who was responsible for Anna's miscarriage, Stefano who tried to kill them both more than once and locked both of them up, Andre, ditto, Alex Marshall, etc. Along with Roman and Marlena and to a lesser degree Bope, they were the center of the Slasher storyline for nine months and that was after more than two years of Tony/Renee/Anna and David. Anna and Tony's relationship was one of the more unique ones one a show that has had a number. They weren't star crossed lovers. Anna drugged him so she and Alex Marshall could get her hands on his money. This couple had nothing but drama and enemies at every turn. Despite the fact they were only together for seven months before Thaao left in 85, they left a memorable impression more than 20 years later and that includes fans who are not even old enough to have been born at the time.

What they didn't have is longevity, and that wasn't because Days wasn't interested enough to invest in them...they wanted to very much, but Thaao was ready to move on in 85.

The only thing J/M, Bope, S/K and J/J have that Tanna does not is more years onscreen. I have to wonder if any of these 'supercouples' were off the show for more than 20 years, would the fans still be writing in asking to have them back? So far, only S/K was off almost as long before they returned.
Good memory refresh and valid points.
I do remember the slasher stuff, et al, as I watched them on Youtube some time ago. I loved Tanna and the idea of them having some meaty stuff this go round but TPTB are idiots as well as incompetents!

You have convinced me however that they should be deemed Supercouple though, as even though Kim and Shane are not on and are not even together, I still consider them supercouple as well. Time off screen does not dampen the power of love! :smooch:

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I hope Thaao doesn't agree to ever come back to DAYS again. They have screwed him over once too many. I'm in the bunch that saw this coming though. They've hardly used his character in the recent months.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Not surprising... it is sad though.

It makes me wonder if he really is Andre though. Because when you think about it. If he was Tony... why wouldn't he have just went off with Anna when she went to Switzerland? Because Tony would have rather been with Anna as opposed to hanging around the Dimeras.

I wonder if Joe M will be the next to go... he can't ebe happy with his so called sl.
Edited by Tammy, Jan 30 2009, 01:18 PM.

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

:moon: Corday....again he has treated Thaao like a toy playing him when he wants and then tossing him aside. I'm no way surprised but I'm also not happy as it is another veteran gone. I get the feeling Thaao know as in his last post at his site he was not a happy camper. I think this is such a waste though as Days devotes its stories to bed hopping want to be's and concentrates on the younger actors while those we want to see are basically wallpaper. They need to reverse their thinking and make use of the veteran actors and bring the younger generation along with them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply